|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
2. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. When was Ariel published?
5. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
2. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
3. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
4. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
5. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
6. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
7. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
8. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
9. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
10. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the suicide of Sylvia Plath and its impact on Ted Hughes. What led to Hughes' separation from Plath?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)