|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
2. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
3. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
4. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
5. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
2. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
3. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
4. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
5. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
6. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
7. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
8. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
9. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
10. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the suicide of Sylvia Plath and its impact on Ted Hughes. What led to Hughes' separation from Plath?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)