|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
2. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
3. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
4. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
5. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
2. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
3. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
4. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
5. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
6. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
7. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
8. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
9. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
10. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)