|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
5. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
2. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
3. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
4. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
5. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
6. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
7. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
8. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
9. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
10. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the relationship between Sylvia Plath and Olwyn Hughes. What were Malcolm's first impressions of Olwyn like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)