|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
2. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
3. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
4. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
5. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
2. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
4. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
5. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
6. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
7. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
8. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
9. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
10. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between Anne Stevenson's life and that of Sylvia Plath. What similarities did these female writers share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the suicide of Sylvia Plath and its impact on Ted Hughes. What led to Hughes' separation from Plath?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)