|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
2. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
3. When was Ariel published?
4. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
5. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
2. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
3. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
5. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
6. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
7. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
8. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
9. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
10. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)