|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
2. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
3. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
5. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
2. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
3. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
4. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
5. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
6. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
7. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
8. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
9. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
10. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between Anne Stevenson's life and that of Sylvia Plath. What similarities did these female writers share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sylvia Plath's relationship with Richard Sassoon. When did they meet? How long did they have a relationship? What ended it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)