|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
2. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
5. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
2. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
3. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
4. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
5. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
6. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
7. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
8. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
9. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
10. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)