|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
2. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
3. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
4. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
5. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
2. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
3. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
4. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
5. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
6. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
7. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
8. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
9. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
10. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sylvia Plath's relationship with Richard Sassoon. When did they meet? How long did they have a relationship? What ended it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)