|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
2. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
3. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
4. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
5. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
2. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
3. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
5. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
6. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
7. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
8. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
9. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
10. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)