|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
2. What memoir did Trevor Thomas write that described Sylvia Plath?
3. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
4. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
5. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
2. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
3. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
4. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
5. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
6. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
7. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
8. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
9. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
10. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)