|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
2. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
3. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
4. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
5. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
2. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
3. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
5. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
6. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
7. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
8. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
9. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
10. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)