|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
2. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
3. What memoir did Trevor Thomas write that described Sylvia Plath?
4. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
5. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
2. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
3. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
4. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
5. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
6. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
7. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
8. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
9. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
10. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between Anne Stevenson's life and that of Sylvia Plath. What similarities did these female writers share? What differences?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)