|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
2. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
3. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
2. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
3. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
4. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
5. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
6. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
7. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
8. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
9. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
10. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Sylvia Plath and Olwyn Hughes. What were Malcolm's first impressions of Olwyn like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)