|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Ariel published?
2. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
3. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
4. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
5. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
3. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
4. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
5. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
8. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
9. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
10. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the relationship between Sylvia Plath and Olwyn Hughes. What were Malcolm's first impressions of Olwyn like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)