|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
2. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
3. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
4. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
5. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
2. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
3. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
4. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
5. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
6. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
7. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
8. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
9. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
10. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)