|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
2. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
3. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
4. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
2. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
3. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
4. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
5. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
6. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
7. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
8. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
9. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
10. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)