|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
2. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
3. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
5. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
2. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
3. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
4. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
5. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
6. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
7. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
8. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
9. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
10. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)