|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
2. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
3. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
4. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
5. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
2. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
3. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
4. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
5. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
6. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
7. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
8. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
9. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
10. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)