|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
2. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
3. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
5. How did Assia Wevill die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
2. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
4. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
6. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
7. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
8. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
9. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
10. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Sylvia Plath and Olwyn Hughes. What were Malcolm's first impressions of Olwyn like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)