|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ted Hughes die?
2. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
3. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
4. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
5. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
2. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
3. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
4. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
5. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
6. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
7. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
8. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
9. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
10. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sylvia Plath's relationship with Richard Sassoon. When did they meet? How long did they have a relationship? What ended it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)