|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
3. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
4. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
5. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
2. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
3. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
4. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
5. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
6. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
7. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
8. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
9. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
10. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)