|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
2. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
3. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
4. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
5. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
2. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
3. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
4. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
5. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
6. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
7. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
8. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
9. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
10. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between Anne Stevenson's life and that of Sylvia Plath. What similarities did these female writers share? What differences?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)