|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
2. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
3. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
4. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
5. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
2. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
3. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
4. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
5. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
6. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
7. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
8. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
9. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
10. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)