|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sylvia Plath leave for her children when they awoke the night she killed herself?
2. A. Alvarez noted that toward the end of her life, Sylvia's once reserved persona was replaced with an aggressive one, most apparent when she was doing what activity?
3. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
4. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
5. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
2. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
3. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
4. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
5. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
6. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
7. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
8. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
9. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
10. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)