|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
2. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
3. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
4. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
5. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
2. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
3. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
4. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
5. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
8. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
9. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
10. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)