|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
2. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
3. When was Janet Malcolm born?
4. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
5. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
2. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
3. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
4. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
5. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
8. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
9. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
10. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that literary criticism plays in the publication of books. What impact do critics have on book sales and the public opinion of works?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)