|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
2. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
3. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
4. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
5. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
2. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
3. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
4. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
5. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
6. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
7. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
8. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
9. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
10. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)