|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
2. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
3. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
5. After she and Ted separated, Sylvia chose to stay in England because __________ was more accepted there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
2. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
3. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
4. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
6. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
7. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
8. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
9. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
10. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between Anne Stevenson's life and that of Sylvia Plath. What similarities did these female writers share? What differences?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)