|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sylvia Plath die?
2. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
3. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
4. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
5. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
3. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
4. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
5. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
6. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
7. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
8. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
9. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
10. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)