|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
2. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
3. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
4. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
5. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
2. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
3. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
4. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
5. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
6. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
7. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
8. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
9. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
10. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)