|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
2. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
3. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
4. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
5. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
2. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
3. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
4. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
5. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
6. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
7. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
8. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
9. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
10. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)