Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. When was Ronald Hayman born?
3. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
5. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
4. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
5. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
8. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
9. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
10. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)