|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
2. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
3. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
4. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
5. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
3. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
4. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
5. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
6. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
7. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
8. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
9. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
10. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)