|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
2. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
3. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
5. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
2. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
3. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
4. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
6. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
7. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
8. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
9. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
10. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dido Merwin and her critical response of Bitter Fame. What were the main points of the biography which were attacked and why?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)