|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
2. The long and confused letter Janet Malcolm received from Olwyn in response in Part One: Chapter IV only reiterated her disdain for ____________.
3. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
4. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
5. When was Janet Malcolm born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
2. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
3. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
4. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
5. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
6. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
7. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
8. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
9. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
10. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that literary criticism plays in the publication of books. What impact do critics have on book sales and the public opinion of works?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)