|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sylvia Plath die?
2. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
3. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
5. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
2. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
3. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
4. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
5. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
6. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
7. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
8. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
9. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
10. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the relationship between Janet Malcolm and Anne Stevenson at the University of Michigan. When did Stevenson's writing career take off?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)