|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who edited The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
3. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
4. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
5. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
2. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
3. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
4. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
5. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
6. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
7. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
8. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
9. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
10. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sylvia Plath's relationship with Richard Sassoon. When did they meet? How long did they have a relationship? What ended it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)