|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
2. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
4. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
5. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
2. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
3. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
4. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
5. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
6. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
7. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
8. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
9. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
10. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aftermath of Bitter Fame's publication. Should Anne Stevenson have published the book, considering her apprehension about its validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)