|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Bitter Fame published?
2. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
3. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
4. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
5. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
2. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
3. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
4. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
5. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
6. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
7. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
8. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
9. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
10. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)