|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
2. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
3. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
5. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
2. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
3. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
4. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
5. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
6. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
7. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
8. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
9. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
10. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Sylvia Plath's The Wishing Box. How was Plath's personal life and emotional state revealed in the work? When was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)