|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
2. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
3. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
4. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
5. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
2. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
3. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
4. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
5. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
6. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
7. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
8. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
9. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
10. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Sylvia Plath's father and his relationship with the author. How is this relationship depicted in "Daddy"?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)