|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
2. When was Anne Stevenson born?
3. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
4. Anne Stevenson tried to defend herself in her speech in Part Two: Chapter I by explaining that some of her work was tainted by the controlling hands of whom?
5. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
3. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
4. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
5. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
6. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
7. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
8. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
9. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
10. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the psychological assessments of Sylvia Plath. What psychiatrist did Plath see during her struggle with depression? For what did Plath show symptoms?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Linda Wagner-Martin and Ronald Hayman. When was Wagner-Martin's biography written? Was it published?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the relationship between Sylvia Plath and Olwyn Hughes. What were Malcolm's first impressions of Olwyn like?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)