|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
2. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
3. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
4. What university had Sylvia Plath attended?
5. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
2. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
3. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
4. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
5. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
6. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
7. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
8. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
9. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
10. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the coming-of-age period during the 1950s of Sylvia Plath. How did the public and critics respond to Plath's poetry? What impact did she have on women during the period in which the feminist movement began?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two introductions of The Journals of Sylvia Plath and analyze the introductions of each. What differences are in the work of Ted Hughes in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)