|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Bell Jar first published?
2. Under what pseudonym was The Bell Jar originally published?
3. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
4. Who edited The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
2. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
3. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
4. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
5. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
6. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
7. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
8. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
9. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
10. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss A. Alvarez and his critical response to the book Bitter Fame. What did Alvarez's review state about the work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze The Bell Jar and its depiction of Sylvia's relationship with her mother. What about the work did Aurelia find "ungrateful"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss The Savage God. When and where was this work first published? What was Ted Hughes' reaction to the piece and why?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)