|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
2. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
3. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
4. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
2. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
3. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
4. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
5. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
6. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
7. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
8. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
9. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
10. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the biography The Haunting of Sylvia Plath. When was it published and by whom?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Anne Stevenson and Ted and Olwyn Hughes. How did Anne come to work with Olwyn on the biography?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and career of the author. What led Janet Malcolm to approach this subject and book?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)