|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
(a) Brown University.
(b) Smith College.
(c) Dartmouth College.
(d) Yale University.
2. When was Ariel published?
3. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
4. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
5. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Quotes of hers.
(b) An introduction.
(c) Letters from her brother.
(d) Entire poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
2. When did Ted Hughes die?
3. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
4. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
5. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
2. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
3. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
4. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
5. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
6. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
7. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
8. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
9. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
10. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)