|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
2. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
3. What was the name of the man Sylvia was involved with when she met Ted Hughes?
(a) David Neighbors.
(b) Richard Sassoon.
(c) Ralph Brighton.
(d) Abraham Thompson.
4. When did Assia Wevill die?
5. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
2. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
3. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
4. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
5. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
2. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
3. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
4. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
5. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
6. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
7. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
8. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
9. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
10. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)