|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(b) Cutting flowers.
2. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Shakespeare.
(b) Her love of Greek literature.
(c) Her spirituality.
(d) Her personal life.
3. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
4. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
5. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(d) Partially true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
3. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
4. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
5. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
2. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
3. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
5. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
6. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
7. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
8. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
9. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
10. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)