|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
2. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Four years.
3. When was Ariel published?
4. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) A schoolgirl.
(b) A stalker.
(c) A paparazzi.
(d) A tourist.
5. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Birthday Letters.
(c) The Hawk in the Rain.
(d) Flowers and Insects.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
2. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
3. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
4. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
5. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
2. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
3. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
4. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
5. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
6. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
7. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
8. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
9. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
10. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)