|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
2. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Richard Sassoon.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
3. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
4. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
5. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
(a) Six years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
2. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
3. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
4. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
5. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
2. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
3. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
4. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
5. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
6. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
7. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
8. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
9. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
10. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)