|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Life After Marriage.
(b) Where Did It All Go Right?
(c) Day of Atonement.
(d) Beyond All This Fiddle.
2. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) San Francisco, California.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Miami, Florida.
3. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(d) Cutting flowers.
4. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
5. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
(a) Beautiful souls.
(b) True intellectuals.
(c) The best poets of their generation.
(d) The greatest love story of all time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
2. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
3. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
2. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
3. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
4. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
5. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
6. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
7. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
8. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
9. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
10. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)