|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Ohio State University.
(b) University of Minnesota.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Smith College.
2. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Mask of Treason.
(d) A Game of Statues.
3. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(b) Evil motivation.
4. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
5. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Letters from her brother.
(b) Quotes of hers.
(c) Entire poems.
(d) An introduction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
5. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
2. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
4. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
5. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
6. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
7. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
8. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
9. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
10. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)