|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
(a) Sleeping pills.
(c) Escaped gas.
2. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Owlyn Hughes.
(c) Dido Merwin.
(d) Phillip Hobsbaum.
3. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
4. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Wound a man.
(b) Wrestle a lion.
(c) Outsmart a fox.
(d) Strangle a cat.
5. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) San Francisco, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
2. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
3. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
4. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
5. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
2. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
3. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
4. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
5. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
6. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
7. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
8. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
9. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
10. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)