|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(a) Drug addiction.
3. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Winter Trees.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Crossing the Water.
(d) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
4. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Richard Sassoon.
5. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
(a) Take responsibility for Sylvia's death.
(b) Blame Sylvia for all his problems.
(c) Show remorse.
(d) Attack her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
2. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
3. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
4. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
5. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
2. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
3. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
4. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
5. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
6. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
7. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
8. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
9. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
10. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)