|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Beyond All This Fiddle.
(b) Where Did It All Go Right?
(c) Life After Marriage.
(d) Day of Atonement.
2. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
(a) Pleasing their editor.
(b) Living up to their potential.
(c) Telling the truth.
(d) Engaging the reader.
3. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
(a) Morning Song.
(c) The Bee Meeting.
4. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(a) Cutting flowers.
5. When did Assia Wevill die?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ted Hughes die?
2. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
3. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
4. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
5. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
2. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
3. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
4. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
8. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
9. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
10. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)