|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
2. When did Assia Wevill die?
3. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
4. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
(a) Love of literature.
(c) Mistrust of humanity.
(d) Love of art.
5. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(a) Evil motivation.
Short Answer Questions
1. A. Alvarez ended his interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter VII by concluding that Ted could never accept the fact that Sylvia's life and death was ________ and he could do nothing to change that.
2. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
3. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
4. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
5. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
2. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
3. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
4. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
5. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
6. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
7. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
8. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
9. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
10. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)