|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
2. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Shakespeare.
(b) Her love of Greek literature.
(c) Her personal life.
(d) Her spirituality.
3. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
4. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(c) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(d) Sylvia's money.
5. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
3. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
4. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
5. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
2. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
4. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
6. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
7. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
8. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
9. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
10. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)