|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Manipulate her.
(b) Profit from her.
(c) Believe in her.
(d) Feel good about themselves.
2. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) Paddock Wood.
(b) Cleobury Mortimer.
(c) Wimborne Minster.
(d) North Tawton.
3. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Day of Atonement.
(b) Where Did It All Go Right?
(c) Life After Marriage.
(d) Beyond All This Fiddle.
4. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
5. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
3. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
4. When did Ted Hughes die?
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
2. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
3. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
4. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
5. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
6. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
7. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
8. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
9. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
10. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)