|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Miami, Florida.
2. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Taken out parts that offended him.
(b) Lost a journal.
(c) Never read them.
(d) Made up several passages.
3. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
4. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
5. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
(a) Dartmouth College.
(b) Brown University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) Yale University.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
2. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
3. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
4. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
5. When was Ariel published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
2. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
3. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
4. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
5. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
6. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
7. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
8. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
9. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
10. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)