|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Assia Wevill die?
2. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
(a) Ted's affair.
(b) Sylvia's childhood.
(c) Sylvia's marriage to Hughes.
(d) Sylvia's suicide.
3. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
4. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Kenilworth, England.
(b) Coleshill, England.
(c) Oswestry, England.
(d) Somerset, England.
5. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
2. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
3. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
4. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
3. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
4. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
5. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
6. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
7. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
8. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
9. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
10. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)