|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Dido Merwin.
(b) Owlyn Hughes.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Phillip Hobsbaum.
2. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) Letters Home.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) The Savage God.
(d) Rabbit Catcher.
3. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Aurelia Plath.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Clarissa Roche.
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Believe in her.
(b) Feel good about themselves.
(c) Manipulate her.
(d) Profit from her.
5. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Where Did It All Go Right?
(b) Life After Marriage.
(c) Day of Atonement.
(d) Beyond All This Fiddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
2. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
3. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
4. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
5. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sylvia Plath demonstrate her "not nice" side in her journals?
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
3. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
4. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
5. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
6. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
7. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
8. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
9. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
10. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)