|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(a) "Female bitchiness."
(c) "Writers block."
2. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
3. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Coleshill, England.
(b) Somerset, England.
(c) Kenilworth, England.
(d) Oswestry, England.
4. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
(a) The protector of his children's mother.
(b) Her eternal lover.
(c) The ultimate critic.
(d) An ambassador of truth.
5. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
(a) Esther Greenwood.
(b) Carol Thompson.
(c) Linda Rollins.
(d) Anne Swanson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
2. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
3. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
4. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
5. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
3. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
4. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
5. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
6. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
7. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
8. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
9. What did Malcolm write of the unread letter in Part Three: Chapter III?
10. How did the editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defend herself to criticism?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)