|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) Crossing the Water.
(d) Winter Trees.
2. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Outsmart a fox.
(b) Wrestle a lion.
(c) Wound a man.
(d) Strangle a cat.
3. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(c) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(d) Sylvia's money.
4. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(d) Partially true.
5. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
2. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
3. A. Alvarez ended his interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter VII by concluding that Ted could never accept the fact that Sylvia's life and death was ________ and he could do nothing to change that.
4. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
5. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
2. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
3. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
4. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
5. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
6. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
7. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
8. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
9. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
10. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)