|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
2. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Aurelia Plath.
(d) Frances McCullough.
3. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
4. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) A schoolgirl.
(b) A stalker.
(c) A paparazzi.
(d) A tourist.
5. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Shakespeare.
(b) Her spirituality.
(c) Her personal life.
(d) Her love of Greek literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
3. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
4. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
5. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
2. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
3. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
4. What surprised Malcolm about Anne Stevenson in her similarities to Sylvia?
5. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
6. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
7. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
8. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
9. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
10. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)