|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
(a) Smith College.
(b) Brown University.
(c) Dartmouth College.
(d) Yale University.
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's money.
(c) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(d) Sylvia's love from Ted.
3. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Helen Barry.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Amanda Reynolds.
(d) Roberta Jefferies.
4. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) Their writing.
(c) Their publishing company.
(d) His investments.
5. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
2. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
3. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
4. When did Ted Hughes die?
5. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elizabeth Sigmund describe Olwyn Hughes?
2. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
3. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
4. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
5. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
6. When and why did Ted Hughes and A. Alvarez put their differences behind them?
7. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
8. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
9. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
10. What did Elizabeth Sigmund relate about Sylvia? How did she know her?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)