|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six years.
2. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(c) "Writers block."
(d) "Female bitchiness."
3. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
4. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
(a) Linda Rollins.
(b) Esther Greenwood.
(c) Carol Thompson.
(d) Anne Swanson.
5. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) North Tawton.
(b) Wimborne Minster.
(c) Paddock Wood.
(d) Cleobury Mortimer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
2. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
3. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
4. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
5. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
2. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
3. Who was Richard Sassoon? How did Sylvia know him?
4. What letter did Plath write to Richard Sassoon in The Journals of Sylvia Plath? How did this relate to her later poetry?
5. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
6. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
7. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
8. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
9. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
10. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)