|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
2. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Dido Milroy.
3. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) A car.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A phonograph.
(d) Used appliances or furniture.
4. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Frances McCullough.
5. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 75 pages.
(b) 150 pages.
(c) 50 pages.
(d) 100 pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
2. Who edited The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
4. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
5. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
2. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
3. Where did Malcolm detour on her way to visit Clarissa Roche? Why?
4. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
5. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
6. What was A. Alvarez's main criticism about Anne Stevenson's biography of Sylvia?
7. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
8. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
9. What did Anne Stevenson reveal about Ted Hughes in her interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter IV?
10. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)