|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
(a) A lost journal.
(b) Love letters.
(c) Additional material.
(d) The original manuscript.
2. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Richard Stevenson.
(b) Charles Stevenson.
(c) Harold Stevenson.
(d) Robert Stevenson.
3. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
4. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
5. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
(a) Linda Wagner-Martin.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
2. Where was A. Alvarez born?
3. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
4. Anne Stevenson tried to defend herself in her speech in Part Two: Chapter I by explaining that some of her work was tainted by the controlling hands of whom?
5. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
2. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
3. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
4. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
5. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
6. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
7. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
8. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
9. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
10. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)