|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What university had Sylvia Plath attended?
(a) Dartmouth College.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) Columbia University.
2. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) Glasses for Peter.
(b) A Hat for Harrold.
(c) A Mask for Janus.
(d) A Coat for Jamal.
4. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The New York Review of Books.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) Literature Weekly.
(d) The New York Times.
5. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) Leonard Cohen.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) W. B. Yeats.
(d) Charles Bukowski.
Short Answer Questions
1. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
2. The long and confused letter Janet Malcolm received from Olwyn in response in Part One: Chapter IV only reiterated her disdain for ____________.
3. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
4. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
5. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
2. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
3. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
4. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
5. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
6. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
7. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
8. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
9. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
10. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)