|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Olwyn Hughes .
(c) Dido Milroy.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
2. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
3. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To get divorced.
(b) To be famous.
(c) To write a best seller.
(d) To kill herself.
4. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was admired.
(b) She was untrusted.
(c) She was detested.
(d) She was considered ignorant.
5. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(d) Rhode Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
2. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
3. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
4. Where was A. Alvarez born?
5. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
2. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
3. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
4. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
5. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
6. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
7. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
8. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
9. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
10. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)