|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What university had Sylvia Plath attended?
(a) Dartmouth College.
(b) Columbia University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) Princeton University.
2. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) Used appliances or furniture.
(b) A car.
(c) A phonograph.
(d) A bicycle.
3. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Telling lies.
(b) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(c) Secretly hating Plath.
(d) Leaving out details.
4. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
5. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Assia Wevill.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
2. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
3. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
4. When was Ronald Hayman born?
5. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
2. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
3. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
4. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
5. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
6. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
7. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
8. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
9. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
10. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)