|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
(b) The Savage God.
(c) Where Did It All Go Right.
(d) School of Donne.
2. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
(a) She overdosed.
(b) She gassed herself.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She hung herself.
3. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 100 pages.
(b) 150 pages.
(c) 50 pages.
(d) 75 pages.
4. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
5. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
(d) Civil rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
2. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
3. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. When was The Bell Jar first published?
5. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
2. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
3. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
4. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
5. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
6. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
7. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
8. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
9. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
10. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)