|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Reviews of the book being published.
(b) Choosing a cover for the book.
(c) The publishing of the book.
(d) Completion of the manuscript.
2. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(a) Her true voice as a poet.
(b) The perfect editor.
(d) Her lost journals.
3. When was Ronald Hayman born?
4. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
5. When did Sylvia Plath die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
2. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
3. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
4. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
5. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
2. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
3. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
4. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
6. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
7. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
8. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
9. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
10. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)