|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(c) Rhode Island.
2. When was Anne Stevenson born?
3. For what magazine is Janet Malcolm on staff?
(a) Rolling Stone.
(c) Time Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
4. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) Leonard Cohen.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) Charles Bukowski.
(d) W. B. Yeats.
5. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
2. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
3. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
4. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
5. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
2. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
3. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
4. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
5. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
6. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
7. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
8. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
9. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
10. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)