|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sylvia Plath die?
2. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
(a) An atrocity.
(b) An unjustified murder.
(c) A mystery.
(d) An abomination.
3. What did Sylvia Plath leave for her children when they awoke the night she killed herself?
(a) Bread and milk.
(b) A note.
(c) Their backpacks.
(d) Milk and cookies.
4. When was Bitter Fame published?
5. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
2. When was The Bell Jar first published?
3. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
4. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
5. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
4. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
5. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
6. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
7. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
8. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
9. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
10. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)