|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was A. Alvarez born?
2. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
3. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
(b) Nonfiction fiction.
(c) Roman a clef.
4. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was untrusted.
(b) She was considered ignorant.
(c) She was detested.
(d) She was admired.
5. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
(a) Janet Malcolm's.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) A. Alvarez's.
(d) Ted Hughes'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
2. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
3. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
4. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
5. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
4. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
5. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
6. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
7. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
8. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
9. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
10. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)