Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
2. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) A phonograph.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) Used appliances or furniture.
(d) A car.
3. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
(a) Roman a clef.
(c) Nonfiction fiction.
4. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Jacqueline Rose.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Aurelia Plath.
5. When was Ronald Hayman born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
2. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
3. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
4. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
5. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alvarez tell Malcolm about Ted and Sylvia's relationship in Part Two: Chapter VII?
2. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
3. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
4. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
5. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
6. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
7. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
8. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
9. How did Anne Stevenson equate her early days in England with Sylvia Plath's?
10. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)