|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Richard Stevenson.
(b) Charles Stevenson.
(c) Robert Stevenson.
(d) Harold Stevenson.
2. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) School of Donne.
(b) The Savage God.
(c) Where Did It All Go Right.
(d) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
4. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Ronald Hayman.
5. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Understood her language.
(b) Been willing to publish it.
(c) Believed her account.
(d) Bought the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
2. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
3. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
4. For what magazine is Janet Malcolm on staff?
5. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
2. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
3. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
4. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
6. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
7. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
8. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
9. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
10. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)