|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Charles Stevenson.
(d) Assia Wevill.
2. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Ronald Hayman's.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) Janet Malcolm's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
3. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
4. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Cut her wrist.
(b) Almost drove off the road.
(c) Played Russian roulette.
(d) Attempted to hang herself.
5. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Dido Milroy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
3. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
4. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
5. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
2. What did Anne Stevenson assert as her take on Sylvia in a letter to Malcolm?
3. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
4. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
6. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
7. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
8. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
9. How did Clarissa Roche know Sylvia Plath?
10. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)