|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Secretly hating Plath.
(b) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(c) Leaving out details.
(d) Telling lies.
2. When was A. Alvarez born?
3. What did Sylvia Plath leave for her children when they awoke the night she killed herself?
(a) A note.
(b) Milk and cookies.
(c) Their backpacks.
(d) Bread and milk.
4. When was Anne Stevenson born?
5. When was Janet Malcolm born?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
2. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
3. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
4. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
5. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
2. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
3. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
4. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
5. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
6. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
7. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
8. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
9. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
10. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)