|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Anne Stevenson's.
2. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
3. Who edited The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Ted Hughes.
4. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(b) Plath's unhappiness.
(c) Incomplete editing.
(d) Plath's death.
5. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
2. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
3. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
4. What poems did Plath write for the most part in the two months after Ted had left Devon?
5. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
2. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
3. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
4. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
5. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
6. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
7. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
8. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
9. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
10. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)