|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Ted Hughes.
2. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Robert Stevenson.
(b) Charles Stevenson.
(c) Harold Stevenson.
(d) Richard Stevenson.
3. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
4. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
5. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
(a) "As if."
(b) "No go."
(c) "If only."
(d) "Look at me."
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
2. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
3. When was A. Alvarez born?
4. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
5. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
2. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
3. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
4. Why was the book The Journals of Sylvia Plath widely criticized?
5. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
6. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
7. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
8. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
9. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
10. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)