|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
2. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
(a) Realistic poetry.
(b) Confessional poetry.
(c) Sinful poetry.
(d) Truthful poetry.
4. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) A bicycle.
(b) Used appliances or furniture.
(c) A car.
(d) A phonograph.
5. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. A. Alvarez noted that toward the end of her life, Sylvia's once reserved persona was replaced with an aggressive one, most apparent when she was doing what activity?
2. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
3. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
4. When was Janet Malcolm born?
5. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
2. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
3. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
4. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
5. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
6. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
7. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
8. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
9. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
10. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)