|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(a) Her true voice as a poet.
(c) Her lost journals.
(d) The perfect editor.
2. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
(a) Lack of exercise.
(c) Tooth decay.
(d) Mental illness.
3. When was Ronald Hayman born?
4. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 50 pages.
(b) 100 pages.
(c) 75 pages.
(d) 150 pages.
5. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 12th Century A.D.
(b) 14th Century A.D.
(c) 11th Century A.D.
(d) 13th Century A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
2. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
3. Anne Stevenson tried to defend herself in her speech in Part Two: Chapter I by explaining that some of her work was tainted by the controlling hands of whom?
4. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
5. When did Sylvia Plath die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
2. What outraged Ted Hughes in The Haunting of Sylvia Plath? What response did the author write?
3. Describe the letters that Malcolm read between Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes. What was the relationship between the women like?
4. What parallel did Malcolm make of Anne Stevenson's relationship to Olwyn Hughes?
5. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
6. What public dispute did Alvarez and Ted Hughes have via letters?
7. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
8. When and why did Clarissa Roche begin a biography on Sylvia? What was it like?
9. What biographies offended the Hughes family the most? Why?
10. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)