|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) The publishing of the book.
(b) Choosing a cover for the book.
(c) Completion of the manuscript.
(d) Reviews of the book being published.
2. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
3. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) Literature Weekly.
(d) The New York Times.
4. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
5. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was untrusted.
(b) She was considered ignorant.
(c) She was detested.
(d) She was admired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
2. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
3. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
4. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
5. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
2. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
3. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
4. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
5. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
6. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
7. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
8. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
9. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
10. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)