|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(a) Her lost journals.
(b) The perfect editor.
(d) Her true voice as a poet.
2. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To kill herself.
(b) To be famous.
(c) To write a best seller.
(d) To get divorced.
3. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) An editor.
(c) Printing presses.
(d) A sizeable advance.
4. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Assia Wevill.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
5. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was A. Alvarez born?
2. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
3. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
4. When was Janet Malcolm born?
5. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
2. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
3. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
4. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
5. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
6. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
7. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
8. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
9. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
10. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)