|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
2. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
3. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) The Women Everybody Should Know.
(b) Fascinating Women.
(c) Women of History.
(d) Lives of Modern Women.
4. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) Love, Sylvia.
(b) A Daughter Far Away.
(c) A Loving Correspondence.
(d) Letters Home.
5. Who edited The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Assia Wevill.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
2. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
3. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
4. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
5. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
4. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
5. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
6. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
7. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
8. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
9. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
10. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)