|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sylvia Plath die?
2. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
3. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
(a) She overdosed.
(b) She gassed herself.
(c) She hung herself.
(d) She shot herself.
4. When was The Bell Jar first published?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
(a) Tooth decay.
(b) Lack of exercise.
(c) Mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. After she and Ted separated, Sylvia chose to stay in England because __________ was more accepted there.
2. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
3. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
4. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
5. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
2. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
3. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
4. What friend of Sylvia Plath's commented negatively about her life and death in Part One: Chapter II?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes offer Anne Stevenson if she would write a biography about Sylvia?
6. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
7. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
8. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
9. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
10. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)