|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Frances McCullough.
2. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
(a) An abomination.
(b) A mystery.
(c) An atrocity.
(d) An unjustified murder.
3. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Ted Hughes'.
(b) Elizabeth Sigmund's.
(c) Dido Merwin's.
(d) Clarissa Roche's.
4. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
5. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
2. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
3. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
4. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
5. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old were Sylvia and Ted when Sylvia died? How did she die?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
4. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
5. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
6. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
7. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
8. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
9. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
10. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)