|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
(a) 23 Fitzroy Road.
(b) 75 Kirkland Drive.
(c) 168 Holland Circle.
(d) 439 Meadow Lane.
2. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
(a) W. B. Yeats.
(b) Dr. Horder.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) A. Alvarez.
3. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Dido Milroy.
4. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
(a) A literary genious.
(b) The perfect woman.
(c) A trophy wife.
(d) A dowdy little housewife.
5. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(b) False selves.
(d) Personal relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
3. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
5. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
2. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
3. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
4. How did Janet Malcolm know Anne Stevenson in their youth? What was Malcolm's opinion of her?
5. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
6. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
7. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
8. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
9. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
10. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)