|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) A. Alvarez's.
(b) Janet Malcolm's.
(c) Ronald Hayman's.
(d) Anne Stevenson's.
2. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
3. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) Women of History.
(b) Lives of Modern Women.
(c) Fascinating Women.
(d) The Women Everybody Should Know.
4. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(b) Her lost journals.
(c) The perfect editor.
(d) Her true voice as a poet.
5. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
(a) She hung herself.
(b) She overdosed.
(c) She gassed herself.
(d) She shot herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
2. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
3. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
4. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
5. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
3. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
4. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
5. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
6. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
7. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
8. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
9. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
10. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)