|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Ronald Hayman.
2. Where was A. Alvarez born?
(c) El Salvador.
3. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Literature Weekly.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
4. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
(a) Emma Rachel Plath.
(b) Susan Mary Plath.
(c) Jennifer Wilma Plath.
(d) Aurelia Schobert Plath.
5. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
(a) Janet Malcolm's.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) A. Alvarez's.
(d) Ted Hughes'.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
2. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
3. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
4. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
5. When was A. Alvarez born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
2. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
3. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
4. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
5. What did Anne Stevenson do with the manuscript she had been commissioned to write about Sylvia Plath for a series at Penguin Books?
6. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
7. What two friends of Sylvia perpetuated the negative image of Ted Hughes? How?
8. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
9. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
10. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)