Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. When was Ronald Hayman born?
3. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Helmsley, England.
(b) Shirebrook, England.
(c) Durham, England.
(d) Beaconsfield, England.
4. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Montana.
(c) University of Illinois.
(d) University of Idaho.
5. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Anne Stevenson's.
(b) Janet Malcolm's.
(c) Ronald Hayman's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
2. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
3. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
5. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was The Haunting of Sylvia Plath written? What was its premise?
2. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
3. Who was Trevor Thomas? What did Malcolm learn from him?
4. How did Janet Malcolm compare her writing to Anne Stevenson's in college? What was Stevenson's career like?
5. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
6. What did Ted Hughes write to Anne Stevenson regarding Bitter Fame?
7. What struggle did Ted face after the death of Sylvia Plath?
8. What kind of life did Anne Stevenson live? How was she similar to Sylvia Plath?
9. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
10. When and why did Anne Stevenson and Olwyn Hughes put their differences behind them?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)