|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Attempted to hang herself.
(b) Cut her wrist.
(c) Almost drove off the road.
(d) Played Russian roulette.
2. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Dido Merwin's.
(b) Clarissa Roche's.
(c) Ted Hughes'.
(d) Elizabeth Sigmund's.
3. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(b) Her lost journals.
(c) Her true voice as a poet.
(d) The perfect editor.
4. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) False selves.
(b) Personal relationships.
5. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) A Hat for Harrold.
(b) Glasses for Peter.
(c) A Mask for Janus.
(d) A Coat for Jamal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
3. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
4. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
5. After she and Ted separated, Sylvia chose to stay in England because __________ was more accepted there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm write of the power and struggle of the biographer in Part One: Chapter I?
2. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
3. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
4. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
5. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
6. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
7. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
8. What qualities of Sylvia Plath's work made her appealing to feminists?
9. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
10. Which biography of Sylvia Plath did Malcolm find to be the best? What criticism did the book meet?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)