|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Dido Milroy.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
2. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
(a) The original manuscript.
(b) A lost journal.
(c) Love letters.
(d) Additional material.
3. When was A. Alvarez born?
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(d) Bitter Fame.
5. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was A. Alvarez born?
2. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
3. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. When was Bitter Fame published?
5. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
2. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
3. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
4. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
5. What power did Olwyn Hughes have over the Plath Library? What was Malcolm's impression of her after working with her on the book?
6. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
7. Ted Hughes wrote two introductions to The Journals of Sylvia Plath. What did he write in the first introduction, and when was this edition published?
8. What did critic Ronald Hayman write about Bitter Fame?
9. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
10. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)