|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
(a) She gassed herself.
(b) She overdosed.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She hung herself.
2. When was Janet Malcolm born?
3. What university had Sylvia Plath attended?
(a) Smith College.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Dartmouth College.
(d) Columbia University.
4. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
5. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
2. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
3. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
4. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
5. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What portrait of Sylvia Plath did Anne Stevenson paint in her biography of Sylvia? Why did critics refute that image?
2. Where did Olwyn and Malcolm go together in Part One: Chapter VII? What did Malcolm learn there?
3. When were Ted and Sylvia separated? What did Sylvia reveal to Alvarez during that time?
4. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
5. Aurelia Plath's intentions in having her daughter's letters published is implied to be in retaliation for what?
6. What is Plath's book The Bell Jar about? What was Sylvia's mother's reaction to the work?
7. What was the first official bad review of Bitter Fame? Who wrote it?
8. What memoir did A. Alvarez write about Sylvia? What was Ted Hughes' response?
9. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
10. How did Sylvia's demeanor and image change from her youth to her death?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)