|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
3. For what magazine is Janet Malcolm on staff?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) Time Magazine.
4. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Montana.
(b) University of Idaho.
(c) University of Michigan.
(d) University of Illinois.
5. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Believed her account.
(b) Bought the book.
(c) Understood her language.
(d) Been willing to publish it.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
2. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
3. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
4. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
5. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne Stevenson's response at a meeting of the University Women's Club in London where she was being taken to task for her portrayal of Sylvia in her book?
2. How did Anne Stevenson find she related to Sylvia Plath in their youths?
3. What was Sylvia Plath's response to her mother's criticism of her dark works?
4. What lecture did Malcolm read of Anne Stevenson's defense of her biography in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. Describe the house Sylvia rented in London. What were her impressions of the residence?
6. What did Aurelia Plath have published regarding Sylvia after her death? Why?
7. What correspondence did Malcolm have with Olwyn Hughes in Part One: Chapter IV? What was illustrated through the letters?
8. What did Ted Hughes write in the second edition introduction of The Journals of Sylvia Plath? When was it published?
9. What happened between Linda Wagner-Martin and Ted and Olwyn Hughes?
10. What was A. Alvarez's first impression of Ted and Sylvia? How did that opinion change?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)