|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) Their writing.
(c) Their publishing company.
(d) His investments.
2. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(d) Cutting flowers.
3. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(c) A Game of Statues.
(d) Mask of Treason.
4. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(c) Drug addiction.
5. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
6. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
7. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Richard Sassoon.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Ted Hughes.
8. How did Assia Wevill die?
(a) She was hit by a car.
(b) A heart attack.
(d) She gassed herself.
9. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
10. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Believe in her.
(b) Profit from her.
(c) Manipulate her.
(d) Feel good about themselves.
11. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(d) Partially true.
12. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
13. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
14. When did Ted Hughes die?
15. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
2. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
3. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. When was Ariel published?
5. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)