|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
(a) The weather.
(b) The accents.
(c) The food.
(d) The culture shock.
3. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
4. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
(a) Their publishing company.
(b) His investments.
(c) Her inheritance.
(d) Their writing.
5. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Owlyn Hughes.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(d) Dido Merwin.
6. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
7. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Amanda Reynolds.
(c) Roberta Jefferies.
(d) Helen Barry.
8. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(d) Cutting flowers.
9. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(a) "Female bitchiness."
(d) "Writers block."
10. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
11. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Cried all night.
(b) Held a big party.
(c) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(d) Got in a fight with him.
12. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) A. Alvarez.
13. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Birthday Letters.
(c) The Hawk in the Rain.
(d) Flowers and Insects.
14. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
(a) Beautiful souls.
(b) True intellectuals.
(c) The greatest love story of all time.
(d) The best poets of their generation.
15. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) A Game of Statues.
(c) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Mask of Treason.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. When was Ariel published?
3. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
4. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
5. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)