|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Somerset, England.
(b) Coleshill, England.
(c) Kenilworth, England.
(d) Oswestry, England.
2. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Excessive emotion.
(b) Borderline personality.
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
(d) Psychological issues.
3. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
4. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
5. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(c) One thing.
6. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
(a) A brother.
(b) A father figure.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A best friend.
7. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(b) Cried all night.
(c) Got in a fight with him.
(d) Held a big party.
8. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Smith College.
(b) University of Minnesota.
(c) Ohio State University.
(d) Yale University.
9. What was the name of the man Sylvia was involved with when she met Ted Hughes?
(a) Abraham Thompson.
(b) David Neighbors.
(c) Richard Sassoon.
(d) Ralph Brighton.
10. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
11. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
12. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(d) Drug addiction.
13. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(b) The Savage God.
(c) Rabbit Catcher.
(d) Letters Home.
14. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Amanda Reynolds.
(b) Roberta Jefferies.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Helen Barry.
15. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(c) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(d) Sylvia's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
2. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
3. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
4. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
5. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)