|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Manipulate her.
(b) Believe in her.
(c) Profit from her.
(d) Feel good about themselves.
2. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Psychological issues.
(b) Borderline personality.
(c) Excessive emotion.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
3. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Richard Sassoon.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Elizabeth Bishop.
5. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(b) Winter Trees.
(c) Crossing the Water.
(d) Bitter Fame.
6. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) A schoolgirl.
(b) A tourist.
(c) A stalker.
(d) A paparazzi.
7. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
8. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(a) Partially true.
9. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
10. When did Assia Wevill die?
11. When did Ted Hughes die?
12. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
13. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
(b) Sleeping pills.
(c) Escaped gas.
14. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
15. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
2. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
3. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
4. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
5. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)