|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Clarissa Roche.
2. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
3. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Taken out parts that offended him.
(b) Lost a journal.
(c) Never read them.
(d) Made up several passages.
4. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(a) "Writers block."
(d) "Female bitchiness."
5. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Cried all night.
(c) Got in a fight with him.
(d) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
6. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
7. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
8. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
(a) Good Housekeeping.
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) Family Circle.
(d) The Ladies' Home Journal.
9. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Shakespeare.
(b) Her spirituality.
(c) Her love of Greek literature.
(d) Her personal life.
10. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
11. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Manipulate her.
(b) Feel good about themselves.
(c) Believe in her.
(d) Profit from her.
12. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) North Tawton.
(b) Wimborne Minster.
(c) Cleobury Mortimer.
(d) Paddock Wood.
13. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Aurelia Plath.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
14. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
15. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Amanda Reynolds.
(b) Roberta Jefferies.
(c) Helen Barry.
(d) Frances McCullough.
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
2. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
3. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)