|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) University of Minnesota.
2. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Aurelia Plath.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
3. A. Alvarez ended his interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter VII by concluding that Ted could never accept the fact that Sylvia's life and death was ________ and he could do nothing to change that.
(a) In the public domain.
(b) A rollercoaster.
(c) Not perfect.
4. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
5. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
6. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Feel good about themselves.
(b) Believe in her.
(c) Profit from her.
(d) Manipulate her.
7. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(b) "Female bitchiness."
(c) "Writers block."
8. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
9. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Mask of Treason.
(b) A Game of Statues.
(c) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Bitter Fame.
10. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(c) Cutting flowers.
11. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Wound a man.
(b) Strangle a cat.
(c) Wrestle a lion.
(d) Outsmart a fox.
12. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(d) Evil motivation.
13. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
14. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
15. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Cried all night.
(c) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(d) Got in a fight with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
2. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
3. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
4. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
5. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)