|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) Cleobury Mortimer.
(b) North Tawton.
(c) Paddock Wood.
(d) Wimborne Minster.
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(b) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(c) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(d) Sylvia's money.
3. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(b) Rabbit Catcher.
(c) The Savage God.
(d) Letters Home.
4. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
(a) Poppies in October.
(b) The Night Dances.
(c) Lady Lazarus.
(d) Sheep in Fog.
5. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
6. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
7. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
8. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
(a) He lived below her.
(b) They worked together at one time.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) He worked at her favorite restraunt.
9. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Winter Trees.
(d) Crossing the Water.
10. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
11. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
12. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
13. A. Alvarez ended his interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter VII by concluding that Ted could never accept the fact that Sylvia's life and death was ________ and he could do nothing to change that.
(a) Not perfect.
(b) A rollercoaster.
(c) In the public domain.
14. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Dido Merwin.
(b) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(c) Owlyn Hughes.
(d) Ted Hughes.
15. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(c) One thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
3. When was Ariel published?
4. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)