|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
2. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
3. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
4. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
(a) Sylvia's marriage to Hughes.
(b) Ted's affair.
(c) Sylvia's suicide.
(d) Sylvia's childhood.
5. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
6. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
(a) Blame Sylvia for all his problems.
(b) Attack her.
(c) Take responsibility for Sylvia's death.
(d) Show remorse.
7. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(c) Drug addiction.
8. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
9. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) Miami, Florida.
10. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(d) Allen Ginsberg.
11. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) The Hawk in the Rain.
(b) Flowers and Insects.
(c) Birthday Letters.
12. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
13. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
(b) The Bee Meeting.
(d) Morning Song.
14. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
15. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
(a) Leonie Adams.
(b) Louise Bogan.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Randall Jarrell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
3. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
5. When did Ted Hughes die?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)