|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Lost a journal.
(b) Made up several passages.
(c) Never read them.
(d) Taken out parts that offended him.
2. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
5. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(d) Partially true.
6. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Owlyn Hughes.
(d) Dido Merwin.
7. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
(a) Their writing.
(b) His investments.
(c) Their publishing company.
(d) Her inheritance.
8. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(b) "Female bitchiness."
(c) "Writers block."
9. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Manipulate her.
(b) Feel good about themselves.
(c) Profit from her.
(d) Believe in her.
10. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Crossing the Water.
(c) Winter Trees.
(d) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
11. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(c) One thing.
12. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
13. In a letter to Anne Stevenson, Ted defended his stance of publicly disassociating himself from ________.
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) A. Alvarez.
14. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's money.
(c) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(d) Sylvia's love from Ted.
15. Where was Sylvia Plath's father from?
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
2. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
3. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
4. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
5. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)