|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Letters from her brother.
(b) An introduction.
(c) Entire poems.
(d) Quotes of hers.
3. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Manipulate her.
(b) Profit from her.
(c) Feel good about themselves.
(d) Believe in her.
5. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
6. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
(a) Love of literature.
(b) Love of art.
(d) Mistrust of humanity.
7. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
8. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
(c) The Bee Meeting.
(d) Morning Song.
9. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
10. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Smith College.
(b) Yale University.
(c) University of Minnesota.
(d) Ohio State University.
11. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(b) Dido Merwin.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Owlyn Hughes.
12. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Psychological issues.
(b) Excessive emotion.
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
(d) Borderline personality.
13. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
14. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(a) Partially true.
15. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
(a) Sheep in Fog.
(b) Lady Lazarus.
(c) Poppies in October.
(d) The Night Dances.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
2. A. Alvarez ended his interview with Malcolm in Part Two: Chapter VII by concluding that Ted could never accept the fact that Sylvia's life and death was ________ and he could do nothing to change that.
3. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
4. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
5. When did Assia Wevill die?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)