|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Birthday Letters.
(b) The Hawk in the Rain.
(c) Flowers and Insects.
2. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
(a) The culture shock.
(b) The weather.
(c) The accents.
(d) The food.
3. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
4. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
5. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(a) One thing.
6. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Cried all night.
(b) Got in a fight with him.
(c) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(d) Held a big party.
7. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Richard Sassoon.
8. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) University of Minnesota.
9. In a letter to Anne Stevenson, Ted defended his stance of publicly disassociating himself from ________.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Bitter Fame.
10. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A best friend.
(c) A father figure.
(d) A brother.
11. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
12. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
13. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
14. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Lost a journal.
(b) Taken out parts that offended him.
(c) Made up several passages.
(d) Never read them.
15. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Quotes of hers.
(b) An introduction.
(c) Entire poems.
(d) Letters from her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Assia Wevill die?
2. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
3. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
4. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
5. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)