|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
(a) The food.
(b) The culture shock.
(c) The accents.
(d) The weather.
2. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
3. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(b) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(c) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(d) Sylvia's money.
4. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) A Game of Statues.
(b) Mask of Treason.
(c) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Bitter Fame.
5. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
6. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
(a) Lady Lazarus.
(b) Sheep in Fog.
(c) The Night Dances.
(d) Poppies in October.
7. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Helen Barry.
(b) Roberta Jefferies.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Amanda Reynolds.
8. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) Smith College.
(b) University of Minnesota.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Ohio State University.
9. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
(a) Esther Greenwood.
(b) Anne Swanson.
(c) Carol Thompson.
(d) Linda Rollins.
10. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
11. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
12. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
13. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
14. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Wound a man.
(b) Strangle a cat.
(c) Wrestle a lion.
(d) Outsmart a fox.
15. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(a) One thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
2. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
3. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)