|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
(a) Six years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
2. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Richard Sassoon.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
3. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(c) Cutting flowers.
4. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
(a) Ted's affair.
(b) Sylvia's suicide.
(c) Sylvia's marriage to Hughes.
(d) Sylvia's childhood.
5. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Miami, Florida.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
6. How did Assia Wevill die?
(b) She gassed herself.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) She was hit by a car.
7. When did Assia Wevill die?
8. Where was Sylvia Plath's father from?
9. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
(a) Sleeping pills.
(b) Escaped gas.
10. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Clarissa Roche.
11. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
12. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(d) Evil motivation.
13. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(c) Got in a fight with him.
(d) Cried all night.
14. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
15. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Helen Barry.
(c) Amanda Reynolds.
(d) Roberta Jefferies.
Short Answer Questions
1. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
2. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
3. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
4. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
5. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)