|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Entire poems.
(b) Quotes of hers.
(c) An introduction.
(d) Letters from her brother.
3. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Birthday Letters.
(c) Flowers and Insects.
(d) The Hawk in the Rain.
4. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
(a) Telling the truth.
(b) Living up to their potential.
(c) Pleasing their editor.
(d) Engaging the reader.
5. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
(a) The Ladies' Home Journal.
(b) Family Circle.
(c) Rolling Stone.
(d) Good Housekeeping.
6. What memoir did Trevor Thomas write that described Sylvia Plath?
(a) Her Husband: Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath--A Marriage.
(b) Sylvia Plath: Last Encounters.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath.
7. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(c) Cried all night.
(d) Got in a fight with him.
8. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) Letters Home.
(b) The Savage God.
(c) Rabbit Catcher.
(d) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
9. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) San Francisco, California.
10. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
11. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
(b) Escaped gas.
(c) Sleeping pills.
12. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
13. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
(a) Blame Sylvia for all his problems.
(b) Attack her.
(c) Take responsibility for Sylvia's death.
(d) Show remorse.
14. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
(a) The best poets of their generation.
(b) True intellectuals.
(c) The greatest love story of all time.
(d) Beautiful souls.
15. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Owlyn Hughes.
(b) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Dido Merwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
2. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
3. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
4. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
5. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)