|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) University of Minnesota.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Smith College.
2. When was Ariel published?
3. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
(a) The accents.
(b) The food.
(c) The weather.
(d) The culture shock.
4. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
(a) Family Circle.
(b) Good Housekeeping.
(c) Rolling Stone.
(d) The Ladies' Home Journal.
5. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) Mask of Treason.
(c) Bitter Fame.
(d) A Game of Statues.
6. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
7. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(d) One thing.
8. What memoir did Trevor Thomas write that described Sylvia Plath?
(a) Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath.
(b) Her Husband: Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath--A Marriage.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) Sylvia Plath: Last Encounters.
9. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
10. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Ted Hughes.
11. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Psychological issues.
(b) Excessive emotion.
(c) Borderline personality.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
12. Where was Sylvia Plath's father from?
13. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
14. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Clarissa Roche.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Aurelia Plath.
15. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Owlyn Hughes.
(c) Dido Merwin.
(d) Phillip Hobsbaum.
Short Answer Questions
1. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
2. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
3. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
4. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
5. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)