|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
(a) Louise Bogan.
(b) Randall Jarrell.
(c) Leonie Adams.
(d) Elizabeth Bishop.
2. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
3. When did Ted Hughes die?
4. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(a) One thing.
5. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Shakespeare.
(b) Her spirituality.
(c) Her personal life.
(d) Her love of Greek literature.
6. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
7. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
8. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) Winter Trees.
(d) Crossing the Water.
9. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
(a) Rolling Stone.
(b) The Ladies' Home Journal.
(c) Good Housekeeping.
(d) Family Circle.
10. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
11. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
12. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Flowers and Insects.
(b) The Hawk in the Rain.
(c) Birthday Letters.
13. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
14. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
15. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Amanda Reynolds.
(c) Roberta Jefferies.
(d) Helen Barry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
2. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
3. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
4. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
5. How did Assia Wevill die?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)