|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
2. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(b) Evil motivation.
3. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Quotes of hers.
(b) Letters from her brother.
(c) An introduction.
(d) Entire poems.
4. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
5. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
6. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
7. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Richard Sassoon.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Elizabeth Bishop.
8. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Mask of Treason.
(c) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) A Game of Statues.
9. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Strangle a cat.
(b) Wrestle a lion.
(c) Outsmart a fox.
(d) Wound a man.
10. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
11. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
12. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
(a) Their writing.
(b) His investments.
(c) Their publishing company.
(d) Her inheritance.
13. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
14. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Taken out parts that offended him.
(b) Lost a journal.
(c) Never read them.
(d) Made up several passages.
15. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) The Savage God.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) Rabbit Catcher.
(d) Letters Home.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
2. When did Ted Hughes die?
3. On the eve of her death, Sylvia Plath insisted on paying for what which she got from Trevor Thomas?
4. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
5. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)