|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man whom Sylvia Plath was dating when she met Ted Hughes did not return her _____________.
(b) Mistrust of humanity.
(c) Love of art.
(d) Love of literature.
2. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
3. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(b) The Hawk in the Rain.
(c) Flowers and Insects.
(d) Birthday Letters.
4. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
5. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
6. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
7. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(b) Drug addiction.
8. Who currently lived at the home Malcolm detoured past on her way to interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
9. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
10. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
11. How did Assia Wevill die?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) She was hit by a car.
(d) She gassed herself.
12. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
(a) Show remorse.
(b) Attack her.
(c) Take responsibility for Sylvia's death.
(d) Blame Sylvia for all his problems.
13. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
14. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
15. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
(c) Morning Song.
(d) The Bee Meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
3. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
4. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
5. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)