|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath was criticized for her own omission of some works?
(a) Helen Barry.
(b) Roberta Jefferies.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Amanda Reynolds.
2. Sylvia's failed confrontation with whom in Paris comprised the most interesting and least tampered with entries of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Richard Sassoon.
3. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
4. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Phillip Hobsbaum.
5. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
(a) The ultimate critic.
(b) An ambassador of truth.
(c) The protector of his children's mother.
(d) Her eternal lover.
6. When was Jacqueline Rose born?
7. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
8. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
(a) He lived below her.
(b) They worked together at one time.
(c) He worked at her favorite restraunt.
(d) They went to school together.
9. How did Assia Wevill die?
(a) She gassed herself.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) She was hit by a car.
10. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
11. When did Ted Hughes die?
12. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
13. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Borderline personality.
(b) Psychological issues.
(c) Excessive emotion.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
14. Elizabeth Sigmund was friends with Sylvia Plath for how long?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six years.
15. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Beyond All This Fiddle.
(b) Where Did It All Go Right?
(c) Life After Marriage.
(d) Day of Atonement.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
2. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
3. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
4. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)