|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Sylvia Plath's father from?
2. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
3. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
(a) Pleasing their editor.
(b) Living up to their potential.
(c) Telling the truth.
(d) Engaging the reader.
4. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Outsmart a fox.
(b) Wound a man.
(c) Strangle a cat.
(d) Wrestle a lion.
5. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Beyond All This Fiddle.
(b) Day of Atonement.
(c) Where Did It All Go Right?
(d) Life After Marriage.
6. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Quotes of hers.
(b) An introduction.
(c) Letters from her brother.
(d) Entire poems.
7. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) A Game of Statues.
(d) Mask of Treason.
8. Since Sylvia's death, Ted had served two masters--the literary artist who wanted her work to be her legacy and ____________.
(a) An ambassador of truth.
(b) The ultimate critic.
(c) Her eternal lover.
(d) The protector of his children's mother.
9. Where did Malcolm interview Clarissa Roche in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) Oswestry, England.
(b) Somerset, England.
(c) Kenilworth, England.
(d) Coleshill, England.
10. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
11. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Cried all night.
(b) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(c) Held a big party.
(d) Got in a fight with him.
12. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
13. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
(a) They worked together at one time.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) He lived below her.
(d) He worked at her favorite restraunt.
14. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
15. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Aurelia Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
2. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
3. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
4. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
5. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)