|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
2. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
3. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Allen Ginsberg.
(c) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
4. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) The Savage God.
(b) Rabbit Catcher.
(c) Letters Home.
(d) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
6. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) Four years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
7. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Aurelia Plath.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
8. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
(a) Engaging the reader.
(b) Telling the truth.
(c) Pleasing their editor.
(d) Living up to their potential.
9. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
(a) Sylvia's talent and beauty.
(b) Sylvia's love from Ted.
(c) Sylvia's compassion and depth.
(d) Sylvia's money.
10. When was Ariel published?
11. When did Assia Wevill die?
12. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(a) Evil motivation.
13. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Got in a fight with him.
(c) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(d) Cried all night.
14. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(a) "Female bitchiness."
(b) "Writers block."
15. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(d) One thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two: Chapter II, Ted described the battle Sylvia had to get her short story published in what periodical?
2. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
3. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
4. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
5. How did Assia Wevill die?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)