|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(a) Partially true.
2. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Ted Hughes.
3. When was Ariel published?
4. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
5. In her book, Jacqueline Rose took to task what work as a cause célèbre that was concocted by the Hughes?
(a) Winter Trees.
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) Bitter Fame.
(d) Crossing the Water.
6. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
7. When did Assia Wevill die?
8. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
9. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
10. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
(a) Attack her.
(b) Show remorse.
(c) Take responsibility for Sylvia's death.
(d) Blame Sylvia for all his problems.
11. In a letter to Anne Stevenson, Ted defended his stance of publicly disassociating himself from ________.
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(d) Bitter Fame.
12. How did Trevor Thomas know Sylvia Plath?
(a) They went to school together.
(b) He worked at her favorite restraunt.
(c) They worked together at one time.
(d) He lived below her.
13. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
14. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) Entire poems.
(b) Letters from her brother.
(c) An introduction.
(d) Quotes of hers.
15. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Psychological issues.
(b) Borderline personality.
(c) Excessive emotion.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
2. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
3. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
4. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
5. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)