|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
(a) Carol Thompson.
(b) Anne Swanson.
(c) Linda Rollins.
(d) Esther Greenwood.
2. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
(a) The accents.
(b) The food.
(c) The weather.
(d) The culture shock.
3. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
4. When did Ted Hughes die?
5. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
6. Almost every writer, Anne Stevenson concluded, has some form of depression which stems from the internal nagging that the writer was not _____________.
(a) Living up to their potential.
(b) Telling the truth.
(c) Engaging the reader.
(d) Pleasing their editor.
7. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(c) One thing.
8. Anne Stevenson left her second husband and children to go off with what poet?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) Phillip Hobsbaum.
9. Alvarez responded to Ted Hughes in letters that his work was honest and not one of _____________.
(c) Evil motivation.
10. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) A Game of Statues.
(c) Mask of Treason.
(d) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
11. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
12. Sylvia wrote in her journal that the fight at the end of the school year had caused her to lose faith in Ted. She asked why the wife was the last to see the husband's ___________.
13. What did Ted Hughes called Alvarez' assertion that there was a professional jealousy between him and Sylvia?
(a) Partially true.
14. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
(b) Cried all night.
(c) Got in a fight with him.
(d) Held a big party.
15. What poem from Ariel is written in nine 7-line stanzas, totaling sixty-three lines, and follows no rhyme scheme?
(a) The Bee Meeting.
(c) Morning Song.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
2. How did Assia Wevill die?
3. When did Assia Wevill die?
4. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
5. Sylvia resigned from teaching when she and Ted decided to make a living on __________.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)