|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(a) One thing.
3. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Profit from her.
(b) Manipulate her.
(c) Believe in her.
(d) Feel good about themselves.
4. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Borderline personality.
(b) Suicidal thoughts.
(c) Psychological issues.
(d) Excessive emotion.
5. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) San Francisco, California.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Miami, Florida.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
6. Sylvia wrote in her journals that she was certain she had the ability to commit suicide, murder a woman, and ____________.
(a) Outsmart a fox.
(b) Strangle a cat.
(c) Wound a man.
(d) Wrestle a lion.
7. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
8. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
9. What was the name of the man Sylvia was involved with when she met Ted Hughes?
(a) David Neighbors.
(b) Richard Sassoon.
(c) Ralph Brighton.
(d) Abraham Thompson.
10. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(a) Drug addiction.
11. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Aurelia Plath.
(d) Clarissa Roche.
12. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching at what school?
(a) University of Minnesota.
(b) Ohio State University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Smith College.
13. Sylvia Plath met Ted Hughes during her last year at which school?
(a) Brown University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Smith College.
(d) Dartmouth College.
14. Sylvia saw a therapist who felt that her relationship with whom was central to her problems?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
15. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Flowers and Insects.
(c) The Hawk in the Rain.
(d) Birthday Letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
2. Elizabeth Sigmund recounted an incident, soon after Sylvia's death, in which Ted did all except __________.
3. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
4. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
5. In a letter to Anne Stevenson, Ted defended his stance of publicly disassociating himself from ________.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)