|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Assia Wevill have with Ted Hughes?
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
(a) An introduction.
(b) Quotes of hers.
(c) Entire poems.
(d) Letters from her brother.
3. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(d) Cutting flowers.
4. When was Jacqueline Rose's biography of Sylvia Plath published?
5. When was Anne Stevenson's book Correspondences: A Family History in Letters published?
6. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(a) Flowers and Insects.
(b) Birthday Letters.
(d) The Hawk in the Rain.
7. Immediately after Sylvia's suicide, whom did Elizabeth Sigmund blame?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
8. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) Cleobury Mortimer.
(b) Wimborne Minster.
(c) North Tawton.
(d) Paddock Wood.
9. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
10. In a letter to her former lover at the end of their relationship, Sylvia told him, "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting __________."
(d) One thing.
11. There was always a close association between Sylvia's work and what?
(a) Her love of Greek literature.
(b) Her personal life.
(c) Her spirituality.
(d) Her love of Shakespeare.
12. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
13. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
14. In Part Two: Chapter IV, Malcolm hadn't been able to interview Alvarez or Ted because who basically disallowed it?
(a) Aurelia Plath.
(b) Clarissa Roche.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Frances McCullough.
15. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, they were met with derision--first because of Ted's admission that he had done what?
(a) Never read them.
(b) Taken out parts that offended him.
(c) Lost a journal.
(d) Made up several passages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
2. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
3. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
4. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
5. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)