|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A. Alvarez claimed that Olwyn and Ted Hughes probably chose Anne Stevenson to write a biography on Sylvia because they could ______________.
(a) Profit from her.
(b) Feel good about themselves.
(c) Believe in her.
(d) Manipulate her.
2. Ted Hughes had sued Trevor Thomas for claiming that on the night of Sylvia's funeral, Ted __________.
(a) Held a big party.
(b) Got in a fight with him.
(c) Cried all night.
(d) Banged loudly on the floors and walls.
3. What did Malcolm feel like upon arriving at Sylvia's former home in Part Two: Chapter IX?
(a) A tourist.
(b) A stalker.
(c) A paparazzi.
(d) A schoolgirl.
4. When did Malcolm meet with Trevor Thomas?
5. Ted Hughes asked that Anne Stevenson keep Assia's story out of which book?
(a) Bitter Fame.
(b) Mask of Treason.
(c) Five Looks at Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) A Game of Statues.
6. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A brother.
(c) A father figure.
(d) A best friend.
7. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
8. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
9. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
10. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
(a) Anne Swanson.
(b) Esther Greenwood.
(c) Carol Thompson.
(d) Linda Rollins.
11. Ted Hughes was the British Poet Laureate beginning in what year?
12. In what year did Anne Stevenson write to Olwyn about never contacting her again?
13. In Part Three: Chapter IV, Malcolm had another run-in with Olwyn, who felt she took Sylvia's side when a former boyfriend she interviewed felt Sylvia had __________.
(a) Excessive emotion.
(b) Suicidal thoughts.
(c) Psychological issues.
(d) Borderline personality.
14. When was Ariel published?
15. Ted felt that Sylvia's work lacked what element?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
2. What did Elizabeth Sigmund portray Olwyn Hughes as being envious of in her interview with Malcolm?
3. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
4. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
5. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)