|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
2. What was the title of Ted Hughes' last work?
(b) Flowers and Insects.
(c) Birthday Letters.
(d) The Hawk in the Rain.
3. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
4. When did Assia Wevill die?
5. Clarissa Roche first knew Sylvia Plath from when she was teaching in what years?
6. The protagonist in The Bell Jar is from suburbs outside what city?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) San Francisco, California.
7. Malcolm drew a parallel between Anne Stevenson's failed relationship and her guilt-ridden past to the subservient role she took on with whom?
(a) Owlyn Hughes.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Phillip Hobsbaum.
(d) Dido Merwin.
8. What was the name of the man Sylvia was involved with when she met Ted Hughes?
(a) Ralph Brighton.
(b) Abraham Thompson.
(c) David Neighbors.
(d) Richard Sassoon.
9. What book did A. Alvarez write on the subject of divorce?
(a) Life After Marriage.
(b) Beyond All This Fiddle.
(c) Day of Atonement.
(d) Where Did It All Go Right?
10. When The Journals of Sylvia Plath were published, it left many thinking that the words and spirit of Sylvia had been ___________.
11. Ted Hughes was outraged by Rose's inference that Plath questioned her sexual identity in what work?
(a) The Savage God.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) Letters Home.
(d) Rabbit Catcher.
12. What was Ted seen as in Sylvia's life, according to her therapist?
(a) A best friend.
(b) A brother.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A father figure.
13. A. Alvarez claimed to have thought that Bitter Fame was an example of ___________.
(a) "Writers block."
(d) "Female bitchiness."
14. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
(a) True intellectuals.
(b) The greatest love story of all time.
(c) Beautiful souls.
(d) The best poets of their generation.
15. In a letter from Ted Hughes, Alvarez was excoriated for publicly airing the details of what event in his memoirs?
(a) Sylvia's suicide.
(b) Sylvia's childhood.
(c) Ted's affair.
(d) Sylvia's marriage to Hughes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a letter from Anne Stevenson in which she provided her take on Sylvia and her work, Sylvia had used poetry as a way to stage her own what?
2. Jacqueline Rose only dealt with Olwyn Hughes when asking to publish _________ in her biography.
3. In Part Two: Chapters VIII, Elizabeth Sigmund mentioned that Ted and Carol no longer speak to whom?
4. What is the name of the protagonist in The Bell Jar?
5. To A. Alvarez, Anne Stevenson was a minor writer writing about a major writer and thus there was natural ____________.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)