|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Trevor Thomas to sleep until 5 p.m. the day after Sylvia Plath killed herself?
(a) Escaped gas.
(d) Sleeping pills.
2. What was the name of Clarissa Roche's husband of whom Sylvia had less than kind things to say about?
3. Sylvia Plath's extremism and ________ were things that Anne Stevenson deplored.
4. What was the name of the man Sylvia was involved with when she met Ted Hughes?
(a) Richard Sassoon.
(b) Ralph Brighton.
(c) David Neighbors.
(d) Abraham Thompson.
5. In her journals, Sylvia demonstrated her violent nature when she characterized her rude behavior in a confrontation she had with young girls doing what in a public park while she was doing the same thing?
(d) Cutting flowers.
6. Anne Stevenson wrote that "it took me two unhappy marriages and ____ children to make me reconsider my assumptions."
7. Malcolm was surprised that Anne Stevenson confessed to having had a problem with what addiction?
(d) Drug addiction.
8. To assuage Ted's hurt artistic side, A. Alvarez wrote in a letter that he felt Ted and Sylvia were ______________.
(a) The best poets of their generation.
(b) The greatest love story of all time.
(c) Beautiful souls.
(d) True intellectuals.
9. Anne Stevenson claimed that in her early days in England she reached for a drink much as Sylvia reached for ___________.
10. How long had Anne Stevenson worked on her biography of Sylvia Plath before it was published?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
11. The author writes that biographers love letters since they are the fossils of ___________.
12. Where did Malcolm ask her taxi driver to detour on the way to interview Clarissa Roche?
(a) Wimborne Minster.
(b) North Tawton.
(c) Cleobury Mortimer.
(d) Paddock Wood.
13. How many years of hell did Ted Hughes go through after Sylvia's death, according to Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter IV?
14. When did Ted Hughes die?
15. When was Anne Stevenson's book Living in America: Poems published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What American poet was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950?
2. Anne Stevenson's early days in England were much like Sylvia's because neither woman was prepared for __________.
3. What game had Elizabeth Sigmund played with Olwyn Hughes on a few occasions?
4. The editor of The Journals of Sylvia Plath defended her cuts as ___________ when publishing such raw material as journal entries?
5. What poem written by Sylvia Plath, originally collected in the posthumously published volume Ariel, describes the speaker's oppression with the use of World War II Nazi Germany allusions and images?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)