|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
2. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
3. What did Sylvia Plath leave for her children when they awoke the night she killed herself?
(a) Their backpacks.
(b) A note.
(c) Bread and milk.
(d) Milk and cookies.
4. When was Janet Malcolm born?
5. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) Love, Sylvia.
(b) Letters Home.
(c) A Loving Correspondence.
(d) A Daughter Far Away.
6. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
7. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(a) Rhode Island.
8. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Helmsley, England.
(b) Shirebrook, England.
(c) Durham, England.
(d) Beaconsfield, England.
9. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
(a) W. B. Yeats.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Dr. Horder.
10. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Analyst.
(b) The Observer.
(c) The Reporter.
(d) The Insider.
11. When did Sylvia Plath die?
12. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
13. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Dido Milroy.
(d) Olwyn Hughes .
14. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(b) False selves.
(c) Personal relationships.
15. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
(a) Aurelia Schobert Plath.
(b) Emma Rachel Plath.
(c) Susan Mary Plath.
(d) Jennifer Wilma Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Anne Stevenson born?
2. When was A. Alvarez born?
3. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
4. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
5. When was Sylvia Plath born?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)