|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Rhodes University.
(b) Cambridge University.
(c) Exeter University.
(d) Oxford University.
2. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To get divorced.
(b) To be famous.
(c) To write a best seller.
(d) To kill herself.
3. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
(a) Anne Stevenson's.
(b) Janet Malcolm's.
(c) Ted Hughes'.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
4. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) The Girl Scouts.
(b) A town hall meeting.
(c) The University Women's Club.
(d) The 4H Club.
5. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
6. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Assia Wevill.
(c) Charles Stevenson.
(d) Frances McCullough.
7. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
8. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
9. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Almost drove off the road.
(b) Cut her wrist.
(c) Attempted to hang herself.
(d) Played Russian roulette.
10. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) Jack Kerouac.
(b) Charles Bukowski.
(c) W. B. Yeats.
(d) Leonard Cohen.
11. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Plath's death.
(b) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(c) Plath's unhappiness.
(d) Incomplete editing.
12. Under what pseudonym was The Bell Jar originally published?
(a) Cassandra Owens.
(b) Victoria Lucas.
(c) Johanna Mills.
(d) Melissa Bouvier.
13. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Telling lies.
(b) Secretly hating Plath.
(c) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(d) Leaving out details.
14. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) A phonograph.
(b) A car.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) Used appliances or furniture.
15. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was A. Alvarez born?
2. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. A. Alvarez noted that toward the end of her life, Sylvia's once reserved persona was replaced with an aggressive one, most apparent when she was doing what activity?
4. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
5. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)