|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
2. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
3. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) A town hall meeting.
(b) The 4H Club.
(c) The University Women's Club.
(d) The Girl Scouts.
4. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
5. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) The Women Everybody Should Know.
(b) Fascinating Women.
(c) Women of History.
(d) Lives of Modern Women.
6. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was untrusted.
(b) She was admired.
(c) She was detested.
(d) She was considered ignorant.
7. The woman who had found the flat for the Hughes described in in Part One: Chapter VII recalled how Sylvia eschewed her suggestion to buy _____________.
(a) A car.
(b) A phonograph.
(c) Used appliances or furniture.
(d) A bicycle.
8. What poems did Plath write for the most part in the two months after Ted had left Devon?
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) The Colossus and Other Poems.
(d) Winter Trees.
9. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Illinois.
(c) University of Idaho.
(d) University of Montana.
10. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
11. When was Sylvia Plath born?
12. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Dido Milroy.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
13. Where was A. Alvarez born?
(b) El Salvador.
14. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
15. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Played Russian roulette.
(b) Almost drove off the road.
(c) Cut her wrist.
(d) Attempted to hang herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
2. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
3. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
4. The long and confused letter Janet Malcolm received from Olwyn in response in Part One: Chapter IV only reiterated her disdain for ____________.
5. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)