|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
2. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) A sizeable advance.
(b) An editor.
(d) Printing presses.
3. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Played Russian roulette.
(b) Cut her wrist.
(c) Attempted to hang herself.
(d) Almost drove off the road.
4. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was untrusted.
(b) She was considered ignorant.
(c) She was detested.
(d) She was admired.
5. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
6. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Leaving out details.
(b) Telling lies.
(c) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(d) Secretly hating Plath.
7. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) Leonard Cohen.
(b) W. B. Yeats.
(c) Charles Bukowski.
(d) Jack Kerouac.
8. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
(b) Roman a clef.
(d) Nonfiction fiction.
9. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Ronald Hayman.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Ted Hughes.
10. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To be famous.
(b) To get divorced.
(c) To kill herself.
(d) To write a best seller.
11. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Exeter University.
(c) Rhodes University.
(d) Cambridge University.
12. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 75 pages.
(b) 150 pages.
(c) 50 pages.
(d) 100 pages.
13. After she and Ted separated, Sylvia chose to stay in England because __________ was more accepted there.
(b) Betrayal from the Church.
(c) Her dark and edgy writing.
14. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 14th Century A.D.
(b) 12th Century A.D.
(c) 13th Century A.D.
(d) 11th Century A.D.
15. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
2. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
3. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
4. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)