|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) W. B. Yeats.
(b) Leonard Cohen.
(c) Charles Bukowski.
(d) Jack Kerouac.
2. When was Anne Stevenson born?
3. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
4. A. Alvarez noted that toward the end of her life, Sylvia's once reserved persona was replaced with an aggressive one, most apparent when she was doing what activity?
(a) Addressing critics.
(c) Delivering readings of her poetry.
(d) Reciting the Bible.
5. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) Printing presses.
(b) A sizeable advance.
(d) An editor.
6. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
7. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
(b) Nonfiction fiction.
(c) Roman a clef.
8. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
9. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 12th Century A.D.
(b) 13th Century A.D.
(c) 14th Century A.D.
(d) 11th Century A.D.
10. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Incomplete editing.
(b) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(c) Plath's death.
(d) Plath's unhappiness.
11. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
(a) Dr. Horder.
(b) Dr. Hollingsworth.
(c) Dr. Hefner.
(d) Dr. Holiday.
12. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Understood her language.
(b) Believed her account.
(c) Bought the book.
(d) Been willing to publish it.
13. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Literature Weekly.
14. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
15. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) A Mask for Janus.
(b) A Hat for Harrold.
(c) Glasses for Peter.
(d) A Coat for Jamal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
2. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
3. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
5. The long and confused letter Janet Malcolm received from Olwyn in response in Part One: Chapter IV only reiterated her disdain for ____________.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)