|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
2. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
3. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
4. When was Sylvia Plath born?
5. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 150 pages.
(b) 100 pages.
(c) 75 pages.
(d) 50 pages.
6. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
7. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) A. Alvarez.
8. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
9. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
(a) Emma Rachel Plath.
(b) Aurelia Schobert Plath.
(c) Jennifer Wilma Plath.
(d) Susan Mary Plath.
10. When was Ronald Hayman born?
11. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) The publishing of the book.
(b) Choosing a cover for the book.
(c) Reviews of the book being published.
(d) Completion of the manuscript.
12. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Played Russian roulette.
(b) Attempted to hang herself.
(c) Cut her wrist.
(d) Almost drove off the road.
13. When was A. Alvarez born?
14. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) The Women Everybody Should Know.
(b) Lives of Modern Women.
(c) Women of History.
(d) Fascinating Women.
15. What university had Sylvia Plath attended?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Dartmouth College.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Smith College.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
2. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
3. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
4. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
5. For what magazine is Janet Malcolm on staff?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)