|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who witnessed Sylvia weeping over Ted's infidelity, claiming that she had given her whole heart to Ted and couldn't get it back?
(a) Aurelia Plath.
(b) Clarissa Roche.
(c) Olwyn Hughes.
(d) Elizabeth Sigmund.
2. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
3. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
4. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(b) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(c) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(d) Bitter Fame.
5. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(b) Printing presses.
(c) A sizeable advance.
(d) An editor.
6. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) The Girl Scouts.
(b) The University Women's Club.
(c) A town hall meeting.
(d) The 4H Club.
7. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Choosing a cover for the book.
(b) Reviews of the book being published.
(c) Completion of the manuscript.
(d) The publishing of the book.
8. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Observer.
(b) The Insider.
(c) The Analyst.
(d) The Reporter.
9. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Robert Stevenson.
(b) Harold Stevenson.
(c) Charles Stevenson.
(d) Richard Stevenson.
10. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(b) Rhode Island.
11. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Ted Hughes.
12. When was Bitter Fame published?
13. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Attempted to hang herself.
(b) Almost drove off the road.
(c) Played Russian roulette.
(d) Cut her wrist.
14. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) Love, Sylvia.
(b) Letters Home.
(c) A Daughter Far Away.
(d) A Loving Correspondence.
15. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
2. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
3. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
4. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)