|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Janet Malcolm born?
2. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
3. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Linda Wagner-Martin.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
4. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(b) A sizeable advance.
(c) Printing presses.
(d) An editor.
5. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) Bitter Fame.
6. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
(a) "As if."
(b) "No go."
(c) "Look at me."
(d) "If only."
7. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
8. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
(a) Olwyn Hughes .
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Dido Milroy.
(d) Frances McCullough.
9. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
(a) An unjustified murder.
(b) An abomination.
(c) An atrocity.
(d) A mystery.
10. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
11. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) A Mask for Janus.
(b) A Hat for Harrold.
(c) A Coat for Jamal.
(d) Glasses for Peter.
12. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
13. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 13th Century A.D.
(b) 12th Century A.D.
(c) 11th Century A.D.
(d) 14th Century A.D.
14. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
(a) Anne Stevenson's.
(b) Ted Hughes'.
(c) Janet Malcolm's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
15. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
(a) She hung herself.
(b) She overdosed.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She gassed herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
2. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
3. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
4. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)