|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
2. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
3. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) School of Donne.
(b) Where Did It All Go Right.
(c) The Savage God.
(d) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
4. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Been willing to publish it.
(b) Bought the book.
(c) Understood her language.
(d) Believed her account.
5. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
6. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
7. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Plath's unhappiness.
(b) Plath's death.
(c) Incomplete editing.
(d) The destruction of Plath's journals.
8. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(b) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) Bitter Fame.
9. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Assia Wevill.
(d) Ted Hughes.
10. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) A Daughter Far Away.
(b) A Loving Correspondence.
(c) Love, Sylvia.
(d) Letters Home.
11. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) An editor.
(b) A sizeable advance.
(d) Printing presses.
12. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
13. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
14. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
15. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) The 4H Club.
(b) The Girl Scouts.
(c) A town hall meeting.
(d) The University Women's Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
2. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
3. When was The Bell Jar first published?
4. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)