|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
(a) Aurelia Schobert Plath.
(b) Jennifer Wilma Plath.
(c) Susan Mary Plath.
(d) Emma Rachel Plath.
3. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Exeter University.
(c) Rhodes University.
(d) Oxford University.
4. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was admired.
(b) She was untrusted.
(c) She was considered ignorant.
(d) She was detested.
5. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
(a) Ted Hughes'.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) Janet Malcolm's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
6. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Leaving out details.
(b) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(c) Telling lies.
(d) Secretly hating Plath.
7. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
8. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) W. B. Yeats.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) Charles Bukowski.
(d) Leonard Cohen.
9. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Ronald Hayman's.
(b) Janet Malcolm's.
(c) A. Alvarez's.
(d) Anne Stevenson's.
10. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Insider.
(b) The Observer.
(c) The Reporter.
(d) The Analyst.
11. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
12. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Assia Wevill.
(d) Ted Hughes.
13. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) A Daughter Far Away.
(b) A Loving Correspondence.
(c) Letters Home.
(d) Love, Sylvia.
14. When was Bitter Fame published?
15. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Plath's death.
(b) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(c) Incomplete editing.
(d) Plath's unhappiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
2. Where was A. Alvarez born?
3. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
4. Who witnessed Sylvia weeping over Ted's infidelity, claiming that she had given her whole heart to Ted and couldn't get it back?
5. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)