|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Bitter Fame published?
2. Sylvia had told her mother about the dismal kitchens and ____________ in England.
3. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
4. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
5. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Believed her account.
(b) Been willing to publish it.
(c) Understood her language.
(d) Bought the book.
6. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Insider.
(b) The Observer.
(c) The Reporter.
(d) The Analyst.
7. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
8. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
9. Under what pseudonym was The Bell Jar originally published?
(a) Cassandra Owens.
(b) Melissa Bouvier.
(c) Victoria Lucas.
(d) Johanna Mills.
10. When was The Bell Jar first published?
11. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Assia Wevill.
(d) Frances McCullough.
12. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Charles Stevenson.
13. When was Ronald Hayman born?
14. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Ronald Hayman's.
(b) Anne Stevenson's.
(c) A. Alvarez's.
(d) Janet Malcolm's.
15. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
(a) Mental illness.
(b) Lack of exercise.
(d) Tooth decay.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
2. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
3. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
5. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)