|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ronald Hayman born?
2. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
(b) The Savage God.
(c) School of Donne.
(d) Where Did It All Go Right.
3. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
4. When did Sylvia Plath die?
5. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
(a) 75 pages.
(b) 150 pages.
(c) 100 pages.
(d) 50 pages.
6. What poems did Plath write for the most part in the two months after Ted had left Devon?
(a) Winter Trees.
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) The Colossus and Other Poems.
7. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
(a) Anne Stevenson.
(b) Linda Wagner-Martin.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) A. Alvarez.
8. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
(a) Dido Milroy.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Olwyn Hughes .
(d) Anne Stevenson.
9. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Reviews of the book being published.
(b) Choosing a cover for the book.
(c) Completion of the manuscript.
(d) The publishing of the book.
10. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
11. When was A. Alvarez born?
12. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Exeter University.
(c) Rhodes University.
(d) Cambridge University.
13. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
14. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Montana.
(b) University of Illinois.
(c) University of Idaho.
(d) University of Michigan.
15. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To write a best seller.
(b) To kill herself.
(c) To be famous.
(d) To get divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
2. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
3. When was The Bell Jar first published?
4. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
5. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)