|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
2. When was Sylvia Plath born?
3. What reprinting of letters, in which Sylvia wrote to her mother and which displayed her nice daughter side, was published by Plath's mother?
(a) A Loving Correspondence.
(b) A Daughter Far Away.
(c) Letters Home.
(d) Love, Sylvia.
4. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Incomplete editing.
(b) Plath's death.
(c) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(d) Plath's unhappiness.
5. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
6. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
7. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
8. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
(a) "Look at me."
(b) "As if."
(c) "No go."
(d) "If only."
9. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
(a) An atrocity.
(b) An unjustified murder.
(c) An abomination.
(d) A mystery.
10. When was Ronald Hayman born?
11. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
(a) 168 Holland Circle.
(b) 439 Meadow Lane.
(c) 23 Fitzroy Road.
(d) 75 Kirkland Drive.
12. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
13. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Rhodes University.
(d) Exeter University.
14. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Frances McCullough.
15. Who wrote The Colossus and Other Poems?
(a) Linda Wagner-Martin.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose memoir depicting Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes criticize relentlessly?
2. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
3. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
4. Anne Stevenson tried to defend herself in her speech in Part Two: Chapter I by explaining that some of her work was tainted by the controlling hands of whom?
5. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)