|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Bitter Fame published?
2. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) The Savage God.
(b) School of Donne.
(c) Where Did It All Go Right.
(d) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
3. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
4. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Charles Stevenson.
(b) Robert Stevenson.
(c) Harold Stevenson.
(d) Richard Stevenson.
5. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
6. When was A. Alvarez born?
7. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 12th Century A.D.
(b) 11th Century A.D.
(c) 13th Century A.D.
(d) 14th Century A.D.
8. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
9. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Anne Stevenson's.
(b) Ronald Hayman's.
(c) Janet Malcolm's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
10. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
(a) The original manuscript.
(b) Love letters.
(c) Additional material.
(d) A lost journal.
11. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
12. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
(a) Olwyn Hughes .
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Dido Milroy.
13. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
14. When was Janet Malcolm born?
15. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) An editor.
(c) A sizeable advance.
(d) Printing presses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poems did Plath write for the most part in the two months after Ted had left Devon?
2. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
3. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
4. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
5. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)