|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
(a) Olwyn Hughes .
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Dido Milroy.
2. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
3. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Assia Wevill.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
4. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Telling lies.
(b) Being envious of Plath's talent.
(c) Leaving out details.
(d) Secretly hating Plath.
5. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Ronald Hayman.
6. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
7. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) Literature Weekly.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
8. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
9. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
10. Under what pseudonym was The Bell Jar originally published?
(a) Melissa Bouvier.
(b) Cassandra Owens.
(c) Victoria Lucas.
(d) Johanna Mills.
11. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
(a) A trophy wife.
(b) The perfect woman.
(c) A dowdy little housewife.
(d) A literary genious.
12. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Elizabeth Sigmund's.
(b) Dido Merwin's.
(c) Clarissa Roche's.
(d) Ted Hughes'.
13. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
14. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was considered ignorant.
(b) She was detested.
(c) She was admired.
(d) She was untrusted.
15. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
2. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
3. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
4. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
5. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)