|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) Where Did It All Go Right.
(b) School of Donne.
(c) The Savage God.
(d) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
2. When was Anne Stevenson born?
3. What did Olwyn Hughes claim was something Sylvia's mother had never addressed and, in fact, enabled for years?
(a) Tooth decay.
(c) Lack of exercise.
(d) Mental illness.
4. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(a) False selves.
(d) Personal relationships.
5. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Literature Weekly.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
6. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
7. Janet Malcolm met with Olwyn Hughes in February of what year in Part One: Chapter VI?
8. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
9. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
(a) Attempted to hang herself.
(b) Cut her wrist.
(c) Played Russian roulette.
(d) Almost drove off the road.
10. What university did Sylvia Plath attend in England?
(a) Rhodes University.
(b) Exeter University.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Cambridge University.
11. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Anne Stevenson.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
12. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) A Coat for Jamal.
(b) A Hat for Harrold.
(c) Glasses for Peter.
(d) A Mask for Janus.
13. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
14. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
(a) The perfect woman.
(b) A dowdy little housewife.
(c) A literary genious.
(d) A trophy wife.
15. With whom was Ted Hughes having an affair at the time of Sylvia Plath's death?
(a) Assia Wevill.
(b) Frances McCullough.
(c) Charles Stevenson.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
2. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
3. When was The Bell Jar first published?
4. When was Sylvia Plath born?
5. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)