|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the publication date of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
2. When was Ronald Hayman born?
3. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Helmsley, England.
(b) Shirebrook, England.
(c) Durham, England.
(d) Beaconsfield, England.
4. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Montana.
(c) University of Illinois.
(d) University of Idaho.
5. Whose biography of Sylvia Plath did Olwyn Hughes laud?
(a) Anne Stevenson's.
(b) Janet Malcolm's.
(c) Ronald Hayman's.
(d) A. Alvarez's.
6. How old was Ted Hughes when Sylvia Plath died?
7. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Robert Stevenson.
(b) Charles Stevenson.
(c) Richard Stevenson.
(d) Harold Stevenson.
8. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Dido Milroy.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
9. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(b) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(c) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(d) Bitter Fame.
10. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) W. B. Yeats.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Dr. Horder.
11. What "friend" of Plath finally felt the freedom to express her true feelings for the poet by relating that she was a horrible wife and a martyr?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Olwyn Hughes .
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Dido Milroy.
12. After she and Ted separated, Sylvia chose to stay in England because __________ was more accepted there.
(a) Betrayal from the Church.
(c) Her dark and edgy writing.
13. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(b) False selves.
(c) Personal relationships.
14. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
15. What poems did Plath write for the most part in the two months after Ted had left Devon?
(b) Three Women: A Monologue for Three Voices.
(c) Winter Trees.
(d) The Colossus and Other Poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
2. Sylvia Plath told A. Alvarez of two previous suicide attempts--one in which she took an overdose of pills and another when she _____________.
3. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
4. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
5. Whom had the second installment of The Savage God pulled from the Observer?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)