|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Olwyn didn't write her own book because she wasn't a writer and, as Ted told her, no one would have ________.
(a) Been willing to publish it.
(b) Believed her account.
(c) Bought the book.
(d) Understood her language.
2. Who was named the literary agent for the writings of Sylvia Plath after her death?
(a) Dido Milroy.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) Janet Malcolm.
(d) Olwyn Hughes .
3. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
4. Where did Janet Malcolm travel to meet with Anne Stevenson in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Helmsley, England.
(b) Beaconsfield, England.
(c) Shirebrook, England.
(d) Durham, England.
5. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
6. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Incomplete editing.
(b) The destruction of Plath's journals.
(c) Plath's death.
(d) Plath's unhappiness.
7. When was A. Alvarez born?
8. In 1952, William Stanley Merwin's first book of poetry was published under what title?
(a) A Hat for Harrold.
(b) Glasses for Peter.
(c) A Coat for Jamal.
(d) A Mask for Janus.
9. A. Alvarez was initially much more impressed with Ted--thinking of Sylvia as __________.
(a) A dowdy little housewife.
(b) A literary genious.
(c) A trophy wife.
(d) The perfect woman.
10. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Analyst.
(b) The Observer.
(c) The Reporter.
(d) The Insider.
11. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(b) Rhode Island.
12. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
13. Linda Wagner-Martin wrote a biography of Sylvia Plath. Upon what did her relationship with the Hughes family deteriorate in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Reviews of the book being published.
(b) Completion of the manuscript.
(c) Choosing a cover for the book.
(d) The publishing of the book.
14. Under what pseudonym was The Bell Jar originally published?
(a) Cassandra Owens.
(b) Victoria Lucas.
(c) Johanna Mills.
(d) Melissa Bouvier.
15. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) The Women Everybody Should Know.
(b) Fascinating Women.
(c) Lives of Modern Women.
(d) Women of History.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sylvia Plath commit suicide?
2. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
3. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
4. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
5. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)