|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(b) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(c) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
(d) Bitter Fame.
2. When was Sylvia Plath born?
3. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
(a) Where Did It All Go Right.
(b) School of Donne.
(c) Life after Marriage: Scenes from Divorce.
(d) The Savage God.
4. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Charles Stevenson.
(b) Richard Stevenson.
(c) Robert Stevenson.
(d) Harold Stevenson.
5. What poet and playwright had previously lived at the residence where Sylvia Plath committed suicide?
(a) Charles Bukowski.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) Leonard Cohen.
(d) W. B. Yeats.
6. Who prescribed antidepressants for Plath a few days before her death?
(a) Dr. Horder.
(b) Dr. Hollingsworth.
(c) Dr. Hefner.
(d) Dr. Holiday.
7. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
(c) Civil rights.
8. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
9. Anne Stevenson sent a completed draft of her story for Penguin Books to whom for his comments?
(a) Dr. Horder.
(b) W. B. Yeats.
(c) A. Alvarez.
(d) Ted Hughes.
10. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
11. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 11th Century A.D.
(b) 13th Century A.D.
(c) 12th Century A.D.
(d) 14th Century A.D.
12. A. Alvarez noted that toward the end of her life, Sylvia's once reserved persona was replaced with an aggressive one, most apparent when she was doing what activity?
(b) Reciting the Bible.
(c) Addressing critics.
(d) Delivering readings of her poetry.
13. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
14. When did Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath marry?
15. What did Hughes claim Sylvia had discarded during the last years of her life in the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
(c) Personal relationships.
(d) False selves.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
2. When was A. Alvarez born?
3. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
4. When was The Bell Jar first published?
5. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)