|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many words did Ted Hughes cut from Linda Wagner-Martin's manuscript?
2. Where did A. Alvarez publish the first "official" bad review of Bitter Fame?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) Literature Weekly.
3. Where did Olwyn Hughes work until after Sylvia Plath's death?
4. Anne Stevenson began a lecture describing how her and Sylvia's background as well as ideology were similar, and they had both married _________.
5. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) The University Women's Club.
(b) The Girl Scouts.
(c) A town hall meeting.
(d) The 4H Club.
6. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
(a) 23 Fitzroy Road.
(b) 168 Holland Circle.
(c) 439 Meadow Lane.
(d) 75 Kirkland Drive.
7. Ronald Hayman wrote in The Independent that whose biography was vindictive?
(a) Janet Malcolm.
(b) A. Alvarez.
(c) Anne Stevenson's.
(d) Frances McCullough.
8. When did Sylvia Plath die?
9. What American analytic philosopher best known for his work in ethics and aesthetics was the father of Anne Stevenson?
(a) Robert Stevenson.
(b) Charles Stevenson.
(c) Harold Stevenson.
(d) Richard Stevenson.
10. Anne Stevenson explained in Part Two: Chapter I that she had been commissioned to write a story about Sylvia Plath in a series for Penguin Books called __________.
(a) Women of History.
(b) Lives of Modern Women.
(c) Fascinating Women.
(d) The Women Everybody Should Know.
11. In the first publication of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes commented how in the last several years of her life, Sylvia had found ______________.
(a) Her true voice as a poet.
(b) The perfect editor.
(c) Her lost journals.
12. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Frances McCullough.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Anne Stevenson.
(d) Janet Malcolm.
13. Olwyn Hughes gave Anne Stevenson whose account that was unflattering to Sylvia to review in Part Two: Chapter I?
(a) Dido Merwin's.
(b) Clarissa Roche's.
(c) Elizabeth Sigmund's.
(d) Ted Hughes'.
14. A. Alvarez's remarks placed Sylvia's suicide in what type of scenario?
(a) "As if."
(b) "No go."
(c) "If only."
(d) "Look at me."
15. When did the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church begin?
(a) 12th Century A.D.
(b) 13th Century A.D.
(c) 11th Century A.D.
(d) 14th Century A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
2. Where was A. Alvarez born?
3. How many pages did the manuscript which Anne Stevenson wrote for Penguin Books contain?
4. What literary genre emphasizes the intimate, and sometimes unflattering, information about details of the poet's personal life, such as in poems about mental illness, sexuality, and despondence?
5. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes indicated that he might be able to get his hands on what?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)