|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anne Stevenson tried to defend herself in her speech in Part Two: Chapter I by explaining that some of her work was tainted by the controlling hands of whom?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Olwyn Hughes.
(c) Clarissa Roche.
(d) Aurelia Plath.
2. When was Sylvia Plath born?
3. In their interview in Part Two: Chapter I, Anne Stevenson told Malcolm of the hurt she felt when a critic had accused her of ___________.
(a) Telling lies.
(b) Leaving out details.
(c) Secretly hating Plath.
(d) Being envious of Plath's talent.
4. What was the address where Sylvia committed suicide?
(a) 75 Kirkland Drive.
(b) 168 Holland Circle.
(c) 439 Meadow Lane.
(d) 23 Fitzroy Road.
5. Where was Sylvia Plath born?
(c) Rhode Island.
6. When was Anne Stevenson born?
7. When was Ronald Hayman born?
8. Who wrote the biography Bitter Fame?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Frances McCullough.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
9. What biography mentioned a cloth beneath Sylvia's head as she inhaled the gas fumes and a testimonial statement by her doctor that she had been in a dire mental condition?
(a) The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath.
(b) Bitter Fame.
(c) Sylvia Plath: Method and Madness: A Biography.
(d) The Haunting of Sylvia Plath.
10. Who wrote The Haunting of Sylvia Plath?
(a) Jacqueline Rose.
(b) Janet Malcolm.
(c) Aurelia Plath.
(d) A. Alvarez.
11. When was The Bell Jar first published?
12. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(a) Printing presses.
(c) A sizeable advance.
(d) An editor.
13. When was Bitter Fame published?
14. The Bell Jar is based in part on Plath's own life and, in particular, her suicide attempt in what year?
15. How was Anne Stevenson viewed by the author and her peers while at the university?
(a) She was detested.
(b) She was admired.
(c) She was untrusted.
(d) She was considered ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was A. Alvarez born?
2. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
3. At what meeting had Anne Stevenson appeared to speak in Part Two: Chapter I?
4. Who was the consulting editor on The Journals of Sylvia Plath?
5. Who applauded Wagner-Martin for not caving to the demands of the "evil" sister as Anne Stevenson had done?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)