|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Olwyn Hughes promised to get Anne Stevenson an agent and publisher who would provide what resource?
(b) Printing presses.
(c) A sizeable advance.
(d) An editor.
2. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
3. Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath were separated by the fall of what year?
4. When did the bomb drop on Hiroshima?
5. Who witnessed Sylvia weeping over Ted's infidelity, claiming that she had given her whole heart to Ted and couldn't get it back?
(a) Olwyn Hughes.
(b) Clarissa Roche.
(c) Elizabeth Sigmund.
(d) Aurelia Plath.
6. In her biography of Sylvia Plath, Stevenson writes of Plath as a sober and confused perfectionist whose suicide as well as the inspiration for her art remain ___________.
(a) An abomination.
(b) A mystery.
(c) An atrocity.
(d) An unjustified murder.
7. Dealing with Olwyn for three years, Malcolm saw none of the expected ________ in her character?
8. A. Alvarez claimed that Sylvia Plath did not intend __________.
(a) To be famous.
(b) To kill herself.
(c) To get divorced.
(d) To write a best seller.
9. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) A. Alvarez.
(b) Assia Wevill.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) Anne Stevenson.
10. In what year had a literary critic declared that what stood out about Plath's works was that Plath's "not nice" quality was what set her apart from her contemporaries?
11. What university did Janet Malcolm attend?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Idaho.
(c) University of Illinois.
(d) University of Montana.
12. In the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, Hughes avoided blame for what?
(a) Plath's death.
(b) Incomplete editing.
(c) Plath's unhappiness.
(d) The destruction of Plath's journals.
13. Toward the end of her life, according to Alvarez, Sylvia Plath developed a problem with ___________.
14. In her youth, Sylvia was known for her American neatness and what color hair?
15. Where did Anne Stevenson move after college and marrying?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the book The Colossus and Other Poems first published?
2. When was The Bell Jar first published?
3. To what friend of the Hughes was William Stanley Merwin married?
4. When was the second version of The Journals of Sylvia Plath released?
5. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)