|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hazel, Wanda and Foxglove find George in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 1, who is afraid that Cuckoo will reign in the land?
3. What happens when a bird lands on Thessaly in Chapter 2?
4. What does Barbie say when she finds out that her destination is far away?
5. In what city is Barbie in when she wakes up from her first dream in an apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the big dog in the street mentioned in Chapter 1.
2. What is Foxglove's dream when a bird lands upon her?
3. Describe Barbie's initial interaction with Luz, Wilkinson and Prinado in Chapter 2.
4. What does the Porpentine foreshadow in Chapter 1?
5. What is the scary dream that Hazel has about a baby?
6. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Barbie need to do?
7. What does Thessaly say to the Moon?
8. How do Luz and Wilkinson respond to the death of Martin in Chapter 1?
9. What is Wanda's concerns that she shares with Barbie at the end of Chapter 3?
10. Describe the interaction between the big dog and Barbie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the point of view presented in the book. Initially, the story line stays close to Barbie and her friends and then focuses in primarily on Barbie's adventures. However, by the end of the book, the focus shifts to Wanda and Barbie's understanding of Wanda despite the judgment offered by Wanda's family. How does this change from the smaller focus of two intimate friends to that of family and society at large give a different perspective on the story as a whole? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the discussion about pregnancy and sex between Hazel and Barbie. What myths are being circulated? What are being dispelled? Explain.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)