|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character confesses in Chapter 2 to having an abortion in high school?
2. Whom does Hazel find creepy in Chapter 3?
3. Whose picture do Hazel, Wanda and Foxglove find in the apartment when they place Barbie on the couch in Chapter 3?
4. Whom does Wanda tease about smoking too much in Chapter 1?
5. Who thinks that Thessaly is weird and nerdy in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a bird lands on Thessaly?
2. In Chapter 3, what does George tell Thessaly about his role?
3. What horrific action does George do in Chapter 2 that unleashes negative repercussions on everyone?
4. What is the advice that Barbie gives Hazel in Chapter 2?
5. What is the scary dream that Hazel has about a baby?
6. What do the women need to do in order to prevent the Cuckoo from succeeding, and what are their options in Chapter 3?
7. What is Foxglove's dream when a bird lands upon her?
8. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Barbie need to do?
9. What does the Porpentine foreshadow in Chapter 1?
10. Describe what happens when Thessaly enters Hazel's apartment in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the witchcraft performed by Thessaly? How does this and other acts separate her from the other women? What kind of characterization does this result in? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for this book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular-culture events. How does the location of these events affect the understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the use of the name "Cuckoo." What does this signify? Is it appropriate? In the story, what descriptions and connections are made about the word "cuckoo" and how do they relate to the character? How does your understanding of the name Cuckoo change when it becomes apparent that the Cuckoo is Barbie as a child? Explain.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)