|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hungry, cold and miserable in Chapter 1?
2. Who does not know how to help Barbie on her journey in Chapter 2?
3. To whom does George tell Thessaly that he sent the birds to haunt and give bad dreams?
4. Who dreams about beautiful dresses in Chapter 2?
5. Who only has soy milk instead of cream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Barbie dream about that makes her worried?
3. What does Barbie want to do with Tantoblin's body?
4. What does Thessaly say to the Moon?
5. What does Thessaly carry when she approaches George's room after burning one of his birds?
6. What does Thessaly tell Hazel and Foxglove about cuckoo birds?
7. What does Barbie remember about her journey with Martin in Chapter 4?
8. What does the beggar woman observe in Chapter 3?
9. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
10. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the use of the name "Cuckoo." What does this signify? Is it appropriate? In the story, what descriptions and connections are made about the word "cuckoo" and how do they relate to the character? How does your understanding of the name Cuckoo change when it becomes apparent that the Cuckoo is Barbie as a child? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Author Neil Gaiman constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with change. Give three examples of how change is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that inspires fear initially (Morpheus, Thessaly) but later evokes reluctant admiration and appreciation from the girls. Explain this change.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)