|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hazel, Wanda and Foxglove find George in Chapter 3?
2. What does Hazel dream that she finds in a box in the cellar under a train in Chapter 2?
3. Who wakes up from nightmares at 3 a.m. in New York in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Barbie remember that she must go in Chapter 2?
5. When Barbie learns that the destination is far away, what does her response reveal about her nature in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thessaly say to the Moon?
2. How do Luz and Wilkinson respond to the death of Martin in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the interaction between the big dog and Barbie.
4. What is Foxglove's dream when a bird lands upon her?
5. Describe what Thessaly tells Hazel, Barbie, Wanda and Foxglove about George.
6. What are the strange discoveries in George's apartment?
7. Describe the big dog in the street mentioned in Chapter 1.
8. What happens when a bird lands on Thessaly?
9. Describe Wanda's procurement of coffee for Barbie in Chapter 1.
10. What do the women think of Thessaly initially in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief portrait study of Wanda. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism inherent in the use of jewelry, stones and other objects in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Barbie and Wanda.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events upon which Barbie has a direct influence? What are some events upon which Wanda had a direct influence?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)