|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs away, frightened by the sight of a dog in Chapter 1?
2. What does Thessaly do with George's skin?
3. Who is hungry, cold and miserable in Chapter 1?
4. Who makes coffee in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 2, who is afraid of being pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbie learn about the little girl in Chapter 5?
2. What does George do with the bird and how does he relate this to Barbie at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What does the beggar woman observe in Chapter 3?
4. What does the world need to exist, according to the Cuckoo?
5. To whom does the Cuckoo introduce Barbie?
6. What does Wilkinson say that Barbie does not believe when they wake up the day after they hid from the Black Guard in the cave and read Tantoblin's scroll?
7. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
8. What do the women need to do in order to prevent the Cuckoo from succeeding, and what are their options in Chapter 3?
9. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
10. What does Thessaly carry when she approaches George's room after burning one of his birds?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Sandman: A Game of You," the author delves deeply into the inner worlds of his characters. Describe how the first five chapters that discuss Barbie's dream world contrast sharply with the final chapter, in which Wanda's family rejects both Wanda and Barbie's beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief portrait study of Wanda. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her through life? How does she change from the beginning of the book to the middle to the end?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)