|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how long did Spencer’s new show run publicly in the U.S.?
2. In ancient times, how was the siren described?
3. When was a wealthy, eccentric naturalist arrested for fraud and theft?
4. How much did Spencer pay for a fawn-child specimen in Chapter 5?
5. What disease did the lizard woman in Chapter 6 have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Spencer have to leave the World’s Columbian Exposition early?
2. What creature did Spencer create that was too grotesque for his audiences?
3. How did Dr. Joab A. Holace describe Spencer in a medical journal in July 1884?
4. How was the Minotaur different from the satyr?
5. In Chapter 5, how did Spencer describe most sideshows at carnivals?
6. What observations did Spencer record from his dissection of the fawn-child?
7. What happened to Samuel?
8. Why was Spencer arrested in Marris County, New York?
9. What was believed about sirens or mermaids?
10. What was the sphinx like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spencer created the Human Renaissance to showcase his collection. What was different about this collection than Spencer’s previous shows? Who were some of the performers? How did Spencer create some of specimens? Did he do experiments on humans?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Elise tried to destroy Spencer’s work. What was Spencer doing for research? How did Bernard describe some of the research? How successful was Elise in destroying the atrocities?
Essay Topic 3
Spencer and Bernard had very different careers. What careers did each man pursue? Who seemed most likely to succeed? Who was more respected by the end of his career?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)