|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Spencer find the dragon specimen?
2. How many limbs did Spencer believe some minotaurs might have had?
3. In Chapter 6, how old was Alphonse when he helped his father create creatures for the carnival?
4. In ancient times, how was the siren described?
5. In Chapter 5, where was the skeleton of the conjoined twins fused together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Codex described?
2. How was the Minotaur different from the satyr?
3. What creature did Spencer create that was too grotesque for his audiences?
4. What procedure did Spencer follow to dissect the fawn-child?
5. How did Spencer describe the fawn-child?
6. Why did Spencer have to leave the World’s Columbian Exposition early?
7. How was the writing in the Codex described?
8. How did Spencer get the fawn-child and what did he do with it?
9. Who was Alexander Goethe?
10. What happened to Samuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Ward C had its first tragedy. What went wrong? Who accepted responsibility? Why did Spencer believe he was responsible? How did the tragedy affect the program and Spencer?
Essay Topic 2
Elise attempted to have her brother-in-law take custody of Alphonse and Samuel.
a. Why did Samuel stay with Bernard and Alphonse did not?
b. How did the lives of the two boys turn out?
Essay Topic 3
Through the years, Bernard and Spencer grew apart. When did the two lose their closeness? How did their work go in different directions? Did Bernard ever refuse to correspond or see his brother? Why did Bernard often lose touch with Spencer? What type of relationship did they have later years? What did Bernard’s actions at the end of the novel reveal about his relationship with his brother? What did the fact that Spencer asked for help say about how he felt about his brother?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)