|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Spencer believe was ruined as he dissected the fawn-child?
2. When did a private performance of Spencer’s show go terribly wrong?
3. How many different species are listed in the Codex?
4. Where did Spencer dissect the fawn-child?
5. Where was the Codex published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Spencer get the fawn-child and what did he do with it?
2. What happened in Budapest in 1901?
3. Why was Spencer arrested in Marris County, New York?
4. How was the Codex described?
5. What was the legend behind the ganesha?
6. How was Spencer’s paper on the fawn-child received?
7. What did Spencer believe about dragons?
8. Who was Alexander Goethe?
9. In Chapter 5, how did Spencer describe Alphonse’s growth?
10. In Chapter 5, how did Spencer describe most sideshows at carnivals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Ward C had its first tragedy. What went wrong? Who accepted responsibility? Why did Spencer believe he was responsible? How did the tragedy affect the program and Spencer?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, a visit to a carnival sideshow changed Spencer’s life. What did Spencer find at a sideshow? Why did he purchase the specimen? What did the learn from the specimen? How did his research change after that point?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Spencer discussed his religious beliefs. Where did Spencer get his religious education? How long did his religious training affect his life? How did his lack of belief in God affect his research?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)