|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before moving to Philadelphia, how much schooling had Spencer completed at the Medical Arts College in Boston?
2. When was the portrait of Elise in Chapter 4 drawn?
3. What did Spencer believe about mutations?
4. What book did Emma Black write that is mentioned in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 3, where was Bernard living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Spencer’s personality change in 1876?
2. When and where were Spencer and his brother born?
3. What did Spencer claim in his paper “The Perfect Human”?
4. Who were Spencer’s parents?
5. How did the success of Ward C affect the academy?
6. What ideas about evolution would eventually separate Spencer from the rest of the scientific community?
7. What was the first unsuccessful surgery at Ward C?
8. When and how did Spencer’s father die?
9. What did Spencer begin to research in 1869?
10. What did Spencer think about religion as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Spencer married Elise Chardelle. What type of life did Elise have during the first years of her marriage? Why did she and the family have to join a carnival? How did Elise’s opinion change about her husband?
Essay Topic 2
Spencer created the Human Renaissance to showcase his collection. What was different about this collection than Spencer’s previous shows? Who were some of the performers? How did Spencer create some of specimens? Did he do experiments on humans?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Gregory Black dug up corpses for his work. What was Dr. Black’s reputation? Why did he rob graves? How did his work and reputation compare to his son Spencer’s work and reputation? Did Spencer rob graves in later years? How was his work different from his father’s.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)