|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Spencer born?
2. What was the date of the journal entry at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. When did Dr. Gregory Black die?
4. How old was Spencer when his father died?
5. Who oversaw Spencer’s program?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a nightmare that Spencer wrote about in his journal in Chapter 4?
2. What is the life cycle of the cicada?
3. What was the first operation performed in Ward C?
4. How did Dr. Gregory Black obtain bodies for his medical students?
5. What special program did Spencer begin in Chapter 3?
6. What did Spencer claim in his paper “The Perfect Human”?
7. What ideas about evolution would eventually separate Spencer from the rest of the scientific community?
8. When and how did Spencer’s father die?
9. How did Spencer do with his studies in 1869?
10. What death did Spencer experience in the fall of 1874?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Spencer faced ridicule and rejection after he tried to publish a paper about the fawn-child. What was the main thesis of his paper? What did some in the medical community say about the contents of the paper? Why did he have to find a new job?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Elise tried to destroy Spencer’s work. What was Spencer doing for research? How did Bernard describe some of the research? How successful was Elise in destroying the atrocities?
Essay Topic 3
The Codex was an anatomical reference manual. How did this manual differ from other manuals of the time? What was the opinion of most scientists about the contents of the book?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)