|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year were Spencer and Elise married?
2. What was the name of the child that Spencer and Elise lost shortly after birth?
3. What year in Spencer’s life does Chapter 3 cover?
4. What killed Dr. Gregory Black?
5. How long into the surgery did Meredith die?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Spencer’s second year at the academy, to what was he devoting his time?
2. During this time in America and around the world, what changes were occurring in medicine?
3. What did Spencer begin to research in 1869?
4. What was known about the English Yew tree?
5. What did Spencer write about a time he went to help his father dig up a body?
6. What ideas about evolution would eventually separate Spencer from the rest of the scientific community?
7. Where did Spencer and his brother go to live after their father died?
8. What was a nightmare that Spencer wrote about in his journal in Chapter 4?
9. What was the first operation performed in Ward C?
10. What is the story behind the Lily of the Valley told in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Spencer robbed graves with his father. How did Spencer feel about grave robbing? Did his views change throughout his life? Did he participate in the practice as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
The Codex was an anatomical reference manual. How did this manual differ from other manuals of the time? What was the opinion of most scientists about the contents of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Spencer performed operations to treat conjoined twins and other mutations of the body. How did Spencer’s work change from performing surgeries to help individual to mutations to creating mutations?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)