|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Spencer believe humans shared traits?
2. Who was Bernard working for in Chapter 3?
3. What was Alphonse’s birth date?
4. What was the name of the poem Spencer wrote about his first grave robbing experience?
5. What book did Emma Black write that is mentioned in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Spencer’s personality change in 1876?
2. How was information about Spencer collected?
3. How did Spencer seem to feel about the birth of his third child?
4. In Chapter 3, what was Bernard doing?
5. When and where were Spencer and his brother born?
6. What did Spencer claim in his paper “The Perfect Human”?
7. What was known about the English Yew tree?
8. What work did Spencer find in the evenings in 1869?
9. Who did Spencer marry and how did they meet?
10. What is the life cycle of the cicada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is a novel, but reads like a biography. What style did the author use to make the book seem real? What facts are scattered throughout the novel? How do these facts make the book seem more like a biography than a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Spencer and Bernard had very different careers. What careers did each man pursue? Who seemed most likely to succeed? Who was more respected by the end of his career?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Spencer discussed his religious beliefs. Where did Spencer get his religious education? How long did his religious training affect his life? How did his lack of belief in God affect his research?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)