|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Spencer call the harpy-like creature he created in Chapter 6?
2. When did Spencer write about the dissection of the fawn-child in his journal?
(a) July 21.
(b) October 17.
(c) August 14.
(d) September 3.
3. In Chapter 6, what was the occupation of the person who criticized Spencer’s show and said it was indecent and blasphemous?
4. How many limbs did Spencer believe some minotaurs might have had?
5. Where did the legendary Pegasus ascend?
(b) Mount Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what did Spencer find among the sideshows of a carnival?
2. In Chapter 7, where did Spencer unveil his new show?
3. When was the collection of a wealthy, eccentric naturalist consumed by fire?
4. How many universities did Spencer approach asking them to publish his paper on the fawn-child?
5. What happened shortly after Spencer submitted the fawn-child paper to the academy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was believed about sirens or mermaids?
2. Who was Alexander Goethe?
3. What did Spencer decide to do for a living after he could no longer work at the academy?
4. What observations did Spencer record from his dissection of the fawn-child?
5. How was the Minotaur different from the satyr?
6. In Chapter 5, how did Spencer describe most sideshows at carnivals?
7. How did Spencer get the fawn-child and what did he do with it?
8. What was the sphinx like?
9. What was the first creature that Spencer created for his show?
10. What happened in Budapest in 1901?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)