|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date on the only known image of Alphonse?
2. What color is the resin from the Myrrh tree?
3. What was Alphonse’s birth date?
(a) April 17.
(b) March 1.
(c) April 30.
(d) March 16.
4. What did Spencer believe about mutations?
(a) Defect in genetics.
(b) They were accidents.
(c) A form of evolution.
(d) Body’s attempt to grow what it had thousands of years ago.
5. Who was one of Spencer’s most influential professors?
(a) Joseph Warren Denkel.
(b) Robert Wyatt Williams.
(c) Peter David Andrews.
(d) Bernard Philip Vandervere.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the courtship between Spencer and Elise?
2. What was Elise’s last name?
3. How old was Spencer when his third child was born?
4. How long can the English Yew live?
5. Where were Meredith and her family from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the Lily of the Valley told in Chapter 2?
2. How successful was Ward C?
3. What did Spencer begin to research in 1869?
4. How did the success of Ward C affect the academy?
5. What was a nightmare that Spencer wrote about in his journal in Chapter 4?
6. During this time in America and around the world, what changes were occurring in medicine?
7. When and how did Spencer’s father die?
8. What was the first unsuccessful surgery at Ward C?
9. Who did Spencer marry and how did they meet?
10. At the time Spencer and Bernard moved to Philadelphia, how much of a medical education had each completed?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)