|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the first operation performed in Chapter 3?
(a) April 24.
(b) July 9.
(c) May 18.
(d) June 3.
2. What ideas of Spencer’s began to separate him from the rest of the scientific community?
(a) Nature of science.
(c) Surgical practices.
(d) Methods for medical education.
3. During what month were Spencer and Elise married?
4. What was Alphonse’s birth date?
(a) April 30.
(b) March 1.
(c) April 17.
(d) March 16.
5. What do cicadas transform into when they emerge from the ground?
(c) Winged insects.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which year at the Academy in Philadelphia did Spencer begin taking illustration seriously?
2. For what researcher did Spencer work on and off for many years, illustrating hundreds of specimens?
3. Where do cicadas hatch from their eggs?
4. In Chapter 2, what is the date of the first journal entry at the end of the chapter?
5. What is the date of the second journal entry at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how did Spencer’s father die?
2. How did Spencer seem to feel about the birth of his third child?
3. What was known about the English Yew tree?
4. At the time Spencer and Bernard moved to Philadelphia, how much of a medical education had each completed?
5. What death did Spencer experience in the fall of 1874?
6. What was the first operation performed in Ward C?
7. What other operation was mentioned in Chapter 3?
8. What is the story behind the Lily of the Valley told in Chapter 2?
9. What work did Spencer find in the evenings in 1869?
10. When and where were Spencer and his brother born?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)