|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, where was Bernard living?
(c) New York.
2. In what month at the beginning of Chapter 3, did Spencer state that he was working tirelessly without results?
3. What insect did Spencer regularly sketch and mention in his journals and letters?
(c) Praying Mantis.
4. In Chapter 2, from where did the dead insects come from that Spencer illustrated?
(b) Malaysian Islands.
5. When did Spencer announce that he wanted to become a medical doctor?
(a) After finishing high school.
(b) When he was 19.
(c) When he was 21.
(d) Shortly after his father’s death.
6. In what month did Spencer comment on his opinion of the doctor who was known for his embryonic research and work with conjoined twins?
7. What was Spencer’s reputation in Chapter 3?
(a) A brilliant researcher.
(b) One of America’s brightest diagnosticians.
(c) Gifted surgeon.
(d) One of America’s brightest young scientists.
8. In Chapter 3, how many right fingers did a patient have?
9. During his last year at the academy, how did Spencer devote his time?
(a) Private studies.
(b) More lectures.
(d) More surgeries.
10. What condition was treated in the first operation in Chapter 3?
(c) Pendred syndrome.
(d) Cleft palate.
11. What did Spencer believe about mutations?
(a) They were accidents.
(b) A form of evolution.
(c) Defect in genetics.
(d) Body’s attempt to grow what it had thousands of years ago.
12. How long have some English Yew lived?
(a) 1,500 years.
(b) 750 years.
(c) 9,000 years.
(d) 500 years.
13. Where did Spencer and his brother move after their father died?
(c) New York.
14. What was Alphonse’s birth date?
(a) April 17.
(b) March 16.
(c) April 30.
(d) March 1.
15. When did Spencer achieve fame and notoriety for his work?
(b) Late nineteenth century.
(c) Early twentieth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first operation performed in Chapter 3?
2. How long can the English Yew live?
3. What year were Spencer and Elise married?
4. What killed Dr. Gregory Black?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the date of the first journal entry at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)