|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Spencer believe scientific evidence was derived?
(c) By objective observers.
(d) By learned scholars.
2. In what month did Spencer comment on his opinion of the doctor who was known for his embryonic research and work with conjoined twins?
3. Where did Spencer and his brother move after their father died?
(c) New York.
4. When was the first operation performed in Chapter 3?
(a) July 9.
(b) May 18.
(c) June 3.
(d) April 24.
5. What was the name of the poem Spencer wrote about his first grave robbing experience?
(b) Grave Robber.
(c) A Dreadful Sight.
(d) In the Dark.
6. What did Spencer believe about mutations?
(a) They were accidents.
(b) Body’s attempt to grow what it had thousands of years ago.
(c) A form of evolution.
(d) Defect in genetics.
7. What did Dr. Gregory Black teach?
8. In Chapter 4, when did Spencer write about eliminating subtractive surgery?
(a) March 1876.
(b) August 1878.
(c) July 1877.
(d) December 1879.
9. Where was Spencer born?
(b) New York.
10. What is the date on the only known image of Alphonse?
11. In Chapter 2, what is the date of the first journal entry at the end of the chapter?
(a) March 13.
(b) September 18.
(c) November 22.
(d) April 24.
12. What year were Spencer and Elise married?
13. What year did Spencer and his brother move as mentioned at the end of Chapter 1?
14. How many surgeons worked in Spencer’s program in Chapter 3?
15. What was Elise’s last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who oversaw Spencer’s program?
2. In Chapter 3, who strongly disagreed with claims Spencer made in the first paper he published in Chapter 3?
3. When was Bernard Black born?
4. What program did Spencer begin in Chapter 3?
5. Before moving to Philadelphia, how much schooling had Spencer completed at the Medical Arts College in Boston?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)