|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rickman tell Smithback about discussions with museum employees on museum grounds?
2. In Chapter 63, what is Kawakita making a living selling on the streets of New York?
3. In Chapter 51, Pendergast tells D'Agosta to aim at what part of the creature's body in hopes of killing it?
4. What ability does Pendergast believe the creature has that will prevent them from finding safety from the creature?
5. What is Cerro Gordo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the extrapolator program say about the DNA taken from the claw that was found inside the chest of one of the museum killer's victims?
2. What happened to Pendergast's plan to lead D'Agosta and his group to safety? What does this event say about the possibility of rescue for this group?
3. Why does Dr. Frock want to see the crates from the Whittlesey Expedition again?
4. Why does Coffey instruct Bailey to take command of D'Agosta's group in Chapter 49?
5. What is found inside the Superstition Exhibition that begins the panic? Who finds it?
6. For what reason does Dr. Frock and Margo believe the creature kills?
7. Why did Pendergast's initial shots against the creature fail to kill it?
8. What contract does Smithback show off four weeks after the creature is killed? With whom does Smithback promise to share any proceeds from the contract?
9. What happens when the creature comes into Dr. Wright's office in Chapter 56?
10. What epiphany does Margo have in Chapter 37 that makes her decide to run the indigenous plants from the Whittlesey crates packing material through the extrapolator program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two of the following. Include in your discussion how the two elements work together to build a strong plot:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Callisto Effect. What is the Callisto Effect? Who developed it? What evidence is there to support such a theory? Why do other scientists deny the existence of the Callisto Effect? What evidence is there against the theory? How does the creature who was killing people in the Museum of Natural History appear to prove the Callisto Effect? How does it disprove the theory?
Essay Topic 3
Margo finds herself trapped between loyalty to her family and her desire to finish her education in this novel. Discuss what event placed Margo in this position. Why is Margo reluctant to make a decision? Why does Margo feel she is needed at home? Why does she want to remain in New York? What impact on Margo's life will there be when she completes her dissertation? How would Margo's life change if she were to chose her family over her education? In the end, what decision does Margo make? Why? What decision would you have made in the same situation? Why?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)