|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman, according to Whittlesey's journal, warn will happen if Whittlesey takes Mbwun home with him?
2. Why can Coffey's team not stop the descent of the security door in Chapter 46?
3. What does D'Agosta tell Coffey is his reason for leaving the Hall of the Heavens in Chapter 49?
4. In Chapter 62, what reason does Dr. Frock give for not being allowed to autopsy the creature?
5. Who asks Margo to lunch in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do D'Agosta and Smithback get their group out of the rising flood waters in the subbasement tunnels? What do they find on the otherside?
2. What happens to the lights in the museum? What other damage does this cause?
3. What is Dr. Frock's theory on the killer in the museum as he explains it to Pendergast in Chapter 29?
4. Why does Dr. Frock want to see the crates from the Whittlesey Expedition again?
5. What does Rickman want Smithback to sign in Chapter 35? Why does he agree to sign?
6. What do Margo, Smithback, and Moriarty learn about the Whittlesey Expedition by reading the accession database in Chapter 28?
7. For what reason does Dr. Frock and Margo believe the creature kills?
8. What happens when the creature comes into Dr. Wright's office in Chapter 56?
9. What is the security set up in the museum? Why is it designed that way?
10. Why do Margo and Pendergast go into the secure area and take some of the packing material from Whittlesey's shipping crate in Chapter 52?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the character relationships below in detail, citing examples from the book:
1) Margo and Smithback
2) Smithback and Rickman
3) D'Agosta and Pendergast
4) D'Agosta and Coffey
5) Coffey and Pendergast
6) Dr. Frock and Dr. Cuthbert.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two of the following. Include in your discussion how the two elements work together to build a strong plot:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
In the end, how many people did the creature kill? Why did the creature not kill Cuthbert? What happened to Cuthbert instead? Was this a fate well deserved, or a sad turn of events? Explain your answer. What did the police find in the creature's lair? What does this suggest about the creature's lifestyle? Who was identified by the artifacts found in the creature's lair? Did the creature really kill all those people? Why did the FBI not allow Dr. Frock to autopsy the body of the creature? What might have been found if he had? Why would the FBI try to cover up such a creature's existence? Is it possible another creature could again invade New York or a similar place? Explain.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)