|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smithback see in Rickman's desk drawer that prompts him to sign the provisions?
2. What does Maxwell find on September 15 that Whittlesey remarks about in his journal?
3. Who does Dr. Frock turn to to ask for help in clearing out the party in Chapter 43?
4. How many cells is the Museum of Natural History divided into by security gates?
5. To whom does Coffey speak to in chapter 52 in an effort to force D'Agosta to move everyone back into the Hall of the Heavens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Frock attempt to make all the party guests leave the museum in Chapter 43? Is he successful?
2. Why did Pendergast's initial shots against the creature fail to kill it?
3. What happens to the lights in the museum? What other damage does this cause?
4. Why does Coffey instruct Bailey to take command of D'Agosta's group in Chapter 49?
5. What has George Kawakita done with the information about the indigenous plant packed with Whittlesey's artifacts? What is Kawakita's theory about the creature who terrorized the museum?
6. Where does Margo instruct Pendergast to shoot the creature? For what reason?
7. What happens when the creature comes into Dr. Wright's office in Chapter 56?
8. Where do Margo and Dr. Frock go in Chapter 45? For what reason?
9. What does Rickman want Smithback to sign in Chapter 35? Why does he agree to sign?
10. What is the security set up in the museum? Why is it designed that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
1) Survival Instinct
4) Scientific Theory
5) Genetic Mutation
Essay Topic 2
What is Kawakita's computer program? What does it do? Why did Kawakita create the program? How does the program relate to his field of study? To his dissertation? What does Margo use the computer program to do? Does it help her with her dissertation? What else does she learn from the program? What does Dr. Frock run through the program? What does it tell them about the creature that is terrorizing the museum? Does this information help them to catch it? Later, what does Kawakita find in the computer program? What does he use this information to do? What possible impact will this action have on the people of New York?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, how many people did the creature kill? Why did the creature not kill Cuthbert? What happened to Cuthbert instead? Was this a fate well deserved, or a sad turn of events? Explain your answer. What did the police find in the creature's lair? What does this suggest about the creature's lifestyle? Who was identified by the artifacts found in the creature's lair? Did the creature really kill all those people? Why did the FBI not allow Dr. Frock to autopsy the body of the creature? What might have been found if he had? Why would the FBI try to cover up such a creature's existence? Is it possible another creature could again invade New York or a similar place? Explain.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)