|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Charlie Prine when Margo sees him? Why?
2. Who is Pendergast?
3. What happens to D'Agosta at the crime scene in Chapter 14 that has not happened to him in more than twenty years of police work?
4. Under what discipline does Gregory Kawakita work in the Anthropology Department?
5. What lined the walls of the hut where the Mbwun figure was found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the director of the museum tell the press after the murder of two children in the museum?
2. Why is the local bar, The Blarney Stone Tavern, near the museum referred to as The Bones by museum employees?
3. What does Smithback ask Kawakita to help him with in Chapter 25? Why does Kawakita refuse?
4. How does Margo end up in the Superstition Exhibit hall in Chapter 20?
5. What effect is the murder investigation having on the Museum of Natural History's visitors and staff?
6. What is the Callisto Effect?
7. Why is D'Agosta called to the Computer Room in Chapter 26? What happens while he is there?
8. What family crisis is taking place in the Green family, forcing Margo to make a decision that could end her dreams of completing her education?
9. In what year does Whittlesey's expedition take place? How long is this before the events depicted in the rest of the novel?
10. What are the three conditions Rickman gave to Smithback in the writing of his book in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a large amount of competition in the academic world. Discuss the competition seen in this novel. What kind of competition is involved? Who competes against who? What does Dr. Frock have to say about the competition he finds himself in? Is Margo competing with someone in this novel? If so, in what way and for what reason? What would the academic world be like without competition? How does this competition form and destroy reputations? How important is this competition to the careers of academicians?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Pendergast? Where is he from? Why does he come to New York? Why does he become involved in the investigation into the murders at the museum? Does D'Agosta want Pendergast's help? Discuss the relationship between Pendergast and D'Agosta in detail. Why is Pendergast removed from the investigation? What does Pendergast do with this information? Why would Pendergast begin investigating on his own? What does Pendergast know about he creature that other investigator's refuse to believe? How did Pendergast become involved in this investigation in the first place? What does the fact that Whittlesey's cargo was stopped in New Orleans for a time have to do with Pendergast? How does Pendergast eventually kill the creature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two of the following. Include in your discussion how the two elements work together to build a strong plot:
3) Point of view
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)