|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the museum is Margo Green's office located?
2. What does G.S.E. stand for?
3. Who do D'Agosta and Pendergast wait to see in the opening paragraphs of Chapter 16?
4. What mistake does security guard Eric Norris make at the crime scene in Chapter 14?
5. Where is Whittlesey's Expedition taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great find did Whittlesey make shortly after the departure of the other scientists? What does this appear to prove?
2. What is odd about the DNA sample the lab tech examines in Chapter 17?
3. What began the rumor of the museum beast?
4. What is Dr. Frock's main complaint about Dr. Cuthbert's new exhibit at the Museum of Natural History?
5. What connection between the killer and the Mbwun figurine does Margo make in Chapter 25?
6. How does Margo end up in the Superstition Exhibit hall in Chapter 20?
7. Why does Smithback suggest the search for a killer in the museum would be nearly impossible?
8. What is a scientific expedition?
9. What is Margo Green working on at the Museum of Natural History? Who is her adviser?
10. What effect is the murder investigation having on the Museum of Natural History's visitors and staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a large amount of competition in the academic world. Discuss the competition seen in this novel. What kind of competition is involved? Who competes against who? What does Dr. Frock have to say about the competition he finds himself in? Is Margo competing with someone in this novel? If so, in what way and for what reason? What would the academic world be like without competition? How does this competition form and destroy reputations? How important is this competition to the careers of academicians?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Kothaga people? How are they related to the Mbwun figurine? What is Mbwun? Relate and discuss the story of the Mbwun. Why is the woman in the Amazon afraid of the Mbwun? How does Margo make a connection between this woman and the packing materials? What are the packing materials? How did they get into the cargo? Why does Margo test the packing materials? What does she find in them? What is it about these materials that drew the creature to the Whittlesey crate for so long? What would have happened if the crate had not been placed in the secure area?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, how many people did the creature kill? Why did the creature not kill Cuthbert? What happened to Cuthbert instead? Was this a fate well deserved, or a sad turn of events? Explain your answer. What did the police find in the creature's lair? What does this suggest about the creature's lifestyle? Who was identified by the artifacts found in the creature's lair? Did the creature really kill all those people? Why did the FBI not allow Dr. Frock to autopsy the body of the creature? What might have been found if he had? Why would the FBI try to cover up such a creature's existence? Is it possible another creature could again invade New York or a similar place? Explain.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)