|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many claws does the Mbwun figurine have on its front legs?
2. Why does Margo accompany Dr. Frock into the basement in Chapter 17?
3. What strange scent does Ven smell in the warehouse?
4. What does G.S.E. stand for?
5. Why does Ippolito believe the killer would not have gone away from the crime scene toward the corridor leading to the secure area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the scientists at the independent lab tell Pendergast and D'Agosta in Chapter 23 about the DNA sample taken from the claw found in the chest of one of the victims?
2. What is a scientific expedition?
3. What family crisis is taking place in the Green family, forcing Margo to make a decision that could end her dreams of completing her education?
4. What is Margo Green working on at the Museum of Natural History? Who is her adviser?
5. What are the three conditions Rickman gave to Smithback in the writing of his book in Chapter 13?
6. What began the rumor of the museum beast?
7. What is odd about the DNA sample the lab tech examines in Chapter 17?
8. What does Pendergast show Dr. Frock in Chapter 18? What is Dr. Frock's reaction?
9. Why is the local bar, The Blarney Stone Tavern, near the museum referred to as The Bones by museum employees?
10. What does Smithback ask Kawakita to help him with in Chapter 25? Why does Kawakita refuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two of the following. Include in your discussion how the two elements work together to build a strong plot:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are the Kothaga people? How are they related to the Mbwun figurine? What is Mbwun? Relate and discuss the story of the Mbwun. Why is the woman in the Amazon afraid of the Mbwun? How does Margo make a connection between this woman and the packing materials? What are the packing materials? How did they get into the cargo? Why does Margo test the packing materials? What does she find in them? What is it about these materials that drew the creature to the Whittlesey crate for so long? What would have happened if the crate had not been placed in the secure area?
Essay Topic 3
What is Kawakita's computer program? What does it do? Why did Kawakita create the program? How does the program relate to his field of study? To his dissertation? What does Margo use the computer program to do? Does it help her with her dissertation? What else does she learn from the program? What does Dr. Frock run through the program? What does it tell them about the creature that is terrorizing the museum? Does this information help them to catch it? Later, what does Kawakita find in the computer program? What does he use this information to do? What possible impact will this action have on the people of New York?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)