|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smithback see in Rickman's desk drawer that prompts him to sign the provisions?
(a) An illegally obtained artifact.
(b) A dismissal contract.
(c) Whittlesey's journal.
(d) A gun.
2. What ability does Pendergast believe the creature has that will prevent them from finding safety from the creature?
(a) It can slip through the secuity gates and ooze through vents.
(b) It can open doors and it knows passages hidden to them.
(c) It can open doors and slip through the security gates.
(d) It can hypnotize people into submission.
3. According to Whittlesey's journal, why did Maxwell and the others decide to return to New York?
(a) They want to take their finds home to study them.
(b) They are sick and frightened.
(c) They do not think there is anything else to find.
(d) They miss their families.
4. In Chapter 62, for what reason is the plant, posthumously named Liliceae mbwunensis, thought to be extinct?
(a) The creature ate all samples of the plant.
(b) The plants brought to the museum died.
(c) The government napalmed the tepui and are mining there.
(d) The FBI ordered the destruction of the plant, including what might remain on the tepui.
5. What does Rickman tell Smithback about discussions with museum employees on museum grounds?
(a) Smithback is encouraged to talk only to employees involved in the Superstition Exhibit.
(b) Smithback is not to talk to any employees about museum matters without prior written authorization.
(c) Smithback is encouraged to speak to anyone and everyone he thinks will be helpful.
(d) Smithback is to leave museum property and not speak to anyone involved with the museum.
6. What method did Pendergast's wife once use to kill a buffalo charging she and her husband while hunting?
(a) Kill shot to the heart.
(b) Kill line of sight.
(c) Kill shot to the head.
(d) Stop forward locomotion.
7. Where does Pendergast shoot the killer in Chapter 46?
(a) The head.
(b) The belly.
(c) The shoulder.
(d) The leg.
8. What weapon does Dr.Wright produce from an office drawer in Chapter 51?
(a) A Colt .35.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A Smith and Wesson .45.
(d) A Ruger .357 magnum.
9. What reason does Rickman give for changing the way in which Smithback is allowed to gather information for his manuscript?
(a) He is intrusive.
(b) He is unprofessional.
(c) He is interfering in the daily work at the museum.
(d) He is unreliable.
10. Why does Coffey order the SWAT team out of the museum in Chapter 56?
(a) He hears a group of them being killed by the creature.
(b) He wants to regroup and try again later.
(c) He decides on a better tactic.
(d) He has rescued Dr. Cuthbert and he decides that is enough.
11. What is the first problem with Coffey's decision to close all but one of the four gates around the Great Rotunda?
(a) The security gates will block access to restrooms.
(b) Fire codes restrict having only one entrance and exit.
(c) The killer will be trapped in the area with the party goers.
(d) Too many people will overrun the small area too quickly.
12. What item of Dr. Whittlesey's was found in the creature's lair?
(a) His eyeglasses.
(b) His watch.
(c) A wedding ring.
(d) A necklace of his family crest.
13. Why does Frock think Dr. Wright wants to go on with the Superstition party despite the murders?
(c) To tempt the killer.
14. In Chapter 53, what happens to Bailey?
(a) He tries to overtake D'Agosta and is killed.
(b) He panicks and returns to the Hall of the Heavens.
(c) He is attacked by the creature.
(d) He tries to kill the mayor and is killed by D'Agosta.
15. What evidence does Pendergast present that the killer is eating the hypothalamus gland of his victims?
(a) Bite marks and oral blood.
(b) Salt and pepper on the other parts of the brain.
(c) Bite marks and saliva.
(d) The missing gland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 62, how many toes does Dr. Frock point out the creature had?
2. From what city were the Whittlesey crates shipped from in 1988?
3. What is the name of the museum curator who began the curating of the Whittlesey crates in 1988?
4. How many people are expected for the Superstition Exhibition's opening night party?
5. How did the Whittlesey Expedition get to the upper reaches of the Xingu as described in Whittlesey's journal?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)