|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 62, for what reason is the plant, posthumously named Liliceae mbwunensis, thought to be extinct?
(a) The creature ate all samples of the plant.
(b) The government napalmed the tepui and are mining there.
(c) The FBI ordered the destruction of the plant, including what might remain on the tepui.
(d) The plants brought to the museum died.
2. What does Smithback see in Rickman's desk drawer that prompts him to sign the provisions?
(a) An illegally obtained artifact.
(b) Whittlesey's journal.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dismissal contract.
3. In Chapter 54, where do Margo, Dr. Frock, and Pendergast hope to trap the creature?
(a) In a locked store room.
(b) In the rising water of the subbasement.
(c) In an old jail cell in the basement of the museum.
(d) In the vault where Whittlesey's crates are stored.
4. What is the first problem with Coffey's decision to close all but one of the four gates around the Great Rotunda?
(a) The security gates will block access to restrooms.
(b) The killer will be trapped in the area with the party goers.
(c) Fire codes restrict having only one entrance and exit.
(d) Too many people will overrun the small area too quickly.
5. What is the name of the museum curator who began the curating of the Whittlesey crates in 1988?
(a) Edward Maxwell.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Hugo Montague.
(d) Gregory Kawakita.
6. What happened to the crew of the Strella de Venezuela?
(a) They all died of dysentery.
(b) They were killed the same way as the victims of the museum murders.
(d) They mutinied.
7. What does Smithback see in the room he and D'Agosta's group enters in Chapter 60?
(a) Bones and dead bodies.
(b) Old artifacts.
(c) The creature.
(d) Clothing and jewelry taken from the dead.
8. How long does Margo tell Pendergast she and Dr. Frock believe the creature has lived in the museum?
(a) A long time, possibly since the museum was rebuilt in 1911.
(b) A long time, possibly five years.
(c) A short time, only a few weeks.
(d) A short time, only a matter of days.
9. How does Smithback manage to get into the library archives?
(a) He pretends to be a reporter from Times.
(b) He pretends to be a librarian from the science library.
(c) He flirts with the young, pretty librarian.
(d) He gets a pass from Dr. Wright.
10. What does the old woman, according to Whittlesey's journal, warn will happen if Whittlesey takes Mbwun home with him?
(a) He will be a slave to the devil.
(b) He will bring death on his people.
(c) He will die a terrible death.
(d) He will live a long and productive life, but those around him will die.
11. In Chapter 62, what reason does Dr. Frock give for not being allowed to autopsy the creature?
(a) He cannot perform autopsies from his wheelchair.
(b) Margo refused to assist him.
(c) The FBI took the body away.
(d) The medical examiner refused to allow him to use the proper facilities.
12. For what reason does Dr. Wright suggest the killer will not go after he, Cuthbert, and Rickman in his fourth floor office?
(a) It will not kill while the police are outside.
(b) It will not kill after so recently having fed.
(c) It will go after easy prey, the injured outside the museum.
(d) It will go after easy prey, the group in the subbasement.
13. In what city were the Whittlesey crates delayed en route to New York?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New Orleans.
14. Who has the honor of cutting the ribbon on the Superstition Exhibition in Chapter 44?
(a) George Moriarty.
(b) The governor.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Dr. Cuthbert.
15. How did the Whittlesey Expedition get to the upper reaches of the Xingu as described in Whittlesey's journal?
(a) By boat.
(c) On foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the commander of the SWAT team tell Coffey is his priority once inside the museum?
2. Who is Spencer Coffey?
3. Why does Smithback claim he likes the Museum of Natural History's library carrels in Chapter 27?
4. Why does George Moriarty remain late in his office in Chapter 33?
5. What does Maxwell find on September 15 that Whittlesey remarks about in his journal?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)