|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Ippolito killed in Chapter 48?
(a) The killer murders him as he attempts to check the safety of the stairwell.
(b) The killer grabs him as he attempts to walk through the Superstition Exhibition.
(c) He falls down the stairs.
(d) A panicked party goer knifes him.
2. Why does Frock think Dr. Wright wants to go on with the Superstition party despite the murders?
(d) To tempt the killer.
3. How many security doors closed when the computer system malfunctioned?
(a) Three out of five sections.
(b) Only the one on the front entrance.
(c) All of them.
(d) Two out of five sections.
4. What does Margo find hidden in the lid of one of Whittlesey's crates in Chapter 30?
(a) A shaman's rattle.
(b) A letter.
(c) A journal.
(d) A decorated disc.
5. In Chapter 61, how much does D'Agosta pay a passerby to call the fire department in order to rescue him and his group?
(a) One hundred bucks.
(b) Fifty bucks.
(c) Eighty bucks.
(d) Twenty-five bucks.
6. How many people are expected for the Superstition Exhibition's opening night party?
(a) Three thousand.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five thousand.
7. In Chapter 62, for what reason is the plant, posthumously named Liliceae mbwunensis, thought to be extinct?
(a) The plants brought to the museum died.
(b) The FBI ordered the destruction of the plant, including what might remain on the tepui.
(c) The government napalmed the tepui and are mining there.
(d) The creature ate all samples of the plant.
8. What causes panic in the stairwell as D'Agosta attempts to lead a group of survivors into the basement of the museum in Chapter 51?
(a) D'Agosta fires his pistol at a distraught guest.
(b) A guest mistakes another guest for the creature.
(c) Officer Bailey fires his shotgun at the creature.
(d) Smithback tells the story of the museum beast.
9. What method did Pendergast's wife once use to kill a buffalo charging she and her husband while hunting?
(a) Kill shot to the head.
(b) Kill shot to the heart.
(c) Stop forward locomotion.
(d) Kill line of sight.
10. What does D'Agosta want to do as the guests arrive that Coffey overrules in Chapter 42?
(a) Search for dead bodies.
(b) Search for poisoned appetizers.
(c) Search for the killer.
(d) Search for weapons.
11. In Chapter 62, to what rank is it revealed that D'Agosta was promoted to?
12. What does Cuthbert say to the creature in Chapter 56?
(a) 'Go away.'
(b) 'I can help you.'
(c) 'You can't kill me.'
(d) 'Don't hurt me.'
13. Where do Margo and Dr. Frock hide from the creature in Chapter 47?
(a) Inside the secure area.
(b) With Pendergast in a store room.
(c) In a stairwell.
(d) Behind a locked door.
14. According to Whittlesey's journal, why did Maxwell and the others decide to return to New York?
(a) They are sick and frightened.
(b) They do not think there is anything else to find.
(c) They miss their families.
(d) They want to take their finds home to study them.
15. In Chapter 53, who helps D'Agosta lock a door against the creature?
(a) The governor.
(d) The mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Pendergast present that the killer is eating the hypothalamus gland of his victims?
2. Where is Smithback during the panic that takes place inside the Superstition Exhibition?
3. What does Rickman tell Smithback about notes taken during interviews in Chapter 35?
4. In Chapter 60, where does Pendergast first shoot the creature?
5. What amusing program does the computer programmer show the police officer guarding the computer room in Chapter 42?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)