|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is George Moriarty?
(a) A graduate student in architecture.
(b) A reporter.
(c) Assitant curator to Dr. Cuthbert.
(d) Assistant curator to Dr. Frock.
2. What is myth triangulation?
(a) A theory that myths of a certain region often share three distinct details.
(b) A theory in which a scientist can pinpoint the location of a tribe or artifact by using details in many different myths.
(c) A theory that nothing in a myth is accurate to reality.
(d) A theory that a myth's location can be determined by the number of people who have heard it.
3. What is Pendergast's theory as to how the killer is murdering his victims?
(a) With a knife made of animal claws.
(b) With a weapon that resembles a claw.
(c) With powerful claws containing three points.
(d) With a man-made claw or artifact.
4. What does Whittlesey notice about the local vegetation at the site of the hut where the Mbwun was found?
(a) It appears florescent.
(b) It appears to overgrowing the hut.
(c) It appears primordial.
(d) It appears dead.
5. Where does the owner of The Blarney Stone Tavern claim he got the bones that he has nailed to the walls of his bar?
(a) He says they are the bones of his ancestors.
(b) He says he raids cemeteries at night.
(c) He says they are the bones of his enemies.
(d) He says he raids the museum at night.
6. Why will Ippolito not allow the law enforcement officers into the Secure Area of the museum in Chapter 14?
(a) He wants them to get a warrant.
(b) He is afraid of repercussions.
(c) He forgot the key.
(d) He forgot the passcode.
7. What is a dissertation?
(a) A lecture presented by a doctoral student to an undergraduate class.
(b) A book length work written by a doctoral student on a specific subject.
(c) A book report written by a college student.
(d) A research project based on scientific theory.
8. What is the Secure Area?
(a) An area where money and expensive items from the gift shop are kept.
(b) An area where only security guards are allowed to congregate.
(c) An area where the museum director keeps his research.
(d) A room where extremely important or delicate artifacts are kept.
9. What did D'Agosta learn about Pendergast's past that he is not sure he believes?
(a) He was educated in a European boarding school.
(b) He was a highly decorated soldier in the early days of Vietnam.
(c) He was the sole survivor of a Cambodian death camp in Vietnam.
(d) He is the only son of a famous oil tycoon.
10. What is a stevedore?
(a) Someone who navigates on a cruise ship.
(b) Someone who serves food on a ship.
(c) Someone who takes luggage into guest cabins on a ship.
(d) Someone who loads ships.
11. What is an herbarium?
(a) A place where spices are sold.
(b) A place where seeds can be purchased.
(c) A place where illegal drugs are grown.
(d) A place where plant life is stored in the museum.
12. What mistake does security guard Eric Norris make at the crime scene in Chapter 14?
(a) Steps in blood.
(b) Calls the police belatedly.
(c) Moves the body.
(d) Vomits on evidence.
13. What relative of Margo's died in the weeks before the opening of the main plot of the novel?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
14. Who is Ippolito?
(a) Head of the New York office of the FBI.
(b) Head of Public Relations for the museum.
(c) Head of the homicide division of the New York City Police Department.
(d) Head of Security for the museum.
15. What does Mbwun mean?
(a) He Who Walks on all Fours.
(b) Shadow man.
(c) He Who Runs on Two.
(d) Devil's child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of jewelry does Whittlesey consider his talisman?
2. What region of the brain is missing from the security guard autopsied in Chapter 23?
3. What is stenciled on the side of the crates Ven intends to steal?
4. Whose body was supposedly found mutilated in the museum, thus starting the rumor of the museum beast as related to Margo in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Margo accompany Dr. Frock into the basement in Chapter 17?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)