|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the peasants afraid to go to the Kingsbridge market?
2. What does Aliena tell Jack she is going to do after ten years of living apart?
3. Why does Alfred come to see Jack after 10 years of absence?
4. What is Richard's position in Kingsbridge?
5. Who does Philip name as the new master builder of the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William Hamleigh decide to do in order to increase the wealth of Shiring when he takes control after his father's death?
2. Describe the young wife of William Hamleigh.
3. How does Ellen find a way into Jack's cell after the monks lock him up for talking to Aliena?
4. Describe the scene between Jack and Alfred after Alfred tells Jack that his real father was hanged as a thief.
5. How is William's mismanagement of Shiring evident throughout the countryside?
6. Summarize the first meeting between Jack and Aliena when Jack finds her reading in the woods.
7. Why does Jack invent an ingenious cloth felter for Aliena?
8. What are the consequences for Prior Philip when Maud's men defeat King Stephen?
9. Describe the reaction of the masons working on Kingbridge cathedral when Jack announces that some of them are going to be laid off.
10. What does Aliena teach Elizabeth when they meet each other when seeking shelter from a storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the life of Prior Philip beginning with the death of his parents up to the point where he becomes Bishop of Kingsbridge.
2) Describe each eventful point in his life.
3) How does Philip react to each defeat and success?
4) How do his attitudes toward the church, morality, government, and his own spirituality change during the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the steps Aliena must go through in order to start up her wool business.
2) What supplies does she purchase, who does she consult, and what business associates does she meet?
3) How does Aliena adapt her business to grow and prosper through the years?
4) Summarize the prosperous times, as well as the times of hardship.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the main characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of their experiences in the final chapters.
3) Describe how Philip's thoughts that the world will never be quite the same relate to the characters and the crown.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)