|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Prior Philip and Richard go to see about obtaining a market license?
2. What does Jonathan decide to do with his life now that he is sixteen years old?
3. What is the result of the fight between Alfred and Jack?
4. What does Tom see when he goes to the top wall of the cathedral to save Jonathan?
5. Of what does William accuse Prior Philip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the consequences for Prior Philip when Maud's men defeat King Stephen?
2. Describe the reaction of the masons working on Kingbridge cathedral when Jack announces that some of them are going to be laid off.
3. Why is Jack angry with the conditions Philip gives him in order for him to be master builder of Kingsbridge cathedral?
4. Describe the scene between Jack and Alfred after Alfred tells Jack that his real father was hanged as a thief.
5. Summarize what takes place when William Hamleigh and his men attack the Kingsbridge market.
6. Why does Richard decide to join the Christian crusades fighting in the Holy Land?
7. What happens when Jack and Aliena bring the Weeping Madonna, which was a gift from Jack's friend, Raschid, to Kingsbridge?
8. Why does Alfred force Aliena to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed?
9. What are the changes Alfred proposes for the cathedral when Philip names him as master builder?
10. What does William Hamleigh decide to do in order to increase the wealth of Shiring when he takes control after his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the events following the sinking of the White Ship.
2) What is the fate of lone survivor and how is he involved with Aliena, Jack, Waleran Bigot, Percy Hamleigh, and Prior James?
3) How does the survivors' lives affect the lives of these characters?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Examine what it means to be a villager in Kingsbridge.
2 ) What characteristics and lifestyles distinguish life in Kingsbridge?
3) What problems and dangers do the villagers face throughout the story?
4) How do they show pride and courage for Kingsbridge?
5) Back up the answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the structure of the novel.
2) What is the central conflict that is carried forward through each part of the novel?
3) Summarize the plot's climax and resolution.
4) Are the characterizations in the story realistic?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)