|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Richard and Aliena escape the castle?
(a) On foot
(b) In an oxcart
(c) Through a tunnel
(d) On war horses
2. How many men show up to work on the cathedral?
3. Who catches the thief red-handed with the stolen silver chalice?
(a) A priest
(b) A man-at-arms
(c) A parishioner
(d) A deacon
4. What does Philip's brother, Francis, surprise him with when he comes to visit?
(a) He brings a new bible.
(b) He brings a baby.
(c) He brings needed donations.
(d) He brings fresh fruit.
5. Why do three men ride behind the prisoner?
(a) They try to keep order.
(b) They are his accusers.
(c) They mock the prisoner publicly.
(d) They recite the prisoner's crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring?
2. Where do Aliena and Richard intend to go after their escape?
3. Where do Tom and his family go for shelter from the freezing weather?
4. What transpires when Tom and his quarrymen arrive at the quarry to start getting stone?
5. What does the prisoner do after the noose is placed around his neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the condemned man do as the noose is placed around his neck?
2. Of what is the crime that the condemned man has been found guilty?
3. Describe how Tom is hired to begin repairs of Kingsbridge Cathedral and what is the condition Philip sets about Ellen?
4. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring and how does this affect his relationship with Waleran?
5. Describe the business that Aliena begins when she gets the money her father left for her and Richard with a priest in Winchester?
6. Why does Abbot Peter transfer Prior Philip out of the monastery where he was born and where does he send him?
7. Describe the condemned man's appearance.
8. What events take place when William Hamleigh goes to the castle at Shiring to claim it as his own?
9. What is the deal that Archdeacon Waleran makes with Philip after the death of Prior James, the Prior of Kingsbridge?
10. What is Tom Builder's greatest passion in life?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)