|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes out of the forest to help Martha when she is hit on the head by a robber?
(a) Ellen and her son, Jack
(c) William Hamleigh
(d) Prior Philip
2. Why are the boys terrified at the moment of the prisoner's death?
(a) Their mothers chase them with switches.
(b) The prisoner's dead eyes stare at them.
(c) Their fathers come to take them home.
(d) The person the prisoner was staring at drops to the ground, uttering a curse.
3. What is the condemned man accused of stealing?
(a) A gold relic from the church
(b) A loaf of bread
(c) A knight's sword
(d) A silver, jeweled chalice from the monastery
4. What type of death does the prisoner experience when the oxcart is pulled away?
(a) He strangles slowly.
(b) He kicks and fights against the noose.
(c) He gasps for breath for a long time.
(d) His neck breaks and death is quick.
5. Who does the prisoner look at while he stands on the gallows?
(a) His father
(b) A girl of about 15 years of age
(c) A young boy
(d) His mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the favorite event for the young boys who gather in the marketplace?
2. Where do Aliena and Richard find the money their father had left them?
3. What does King Stephen decide about the ownership of the Shiring quarry?
4. What is the reaction of the young boys toward the prisoner?
5. Who are the three men that ride behind the oxcart that carries the prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the favorite pastime of the young boys who gather early in the marketplace?
2. Summarize the location and outcome of the birth of Tom's third child.
3. Describe the design of the cathedral Tom proposes to build for Prior Philip.
4. What is Tom Builder's greatest passion in life?
5. Describe the business that Aliena begins when she gets the money her father left for her and Richard with a priest in Winchester?
6. What events take place when William Hamleigh goes to the castle at Shiring to claim it as his own?
7. What is the reaction of the townspeople as the man is led to the gallows?
8. What is the fate of the White Ship and its passengers after it sets sail from England in 1120?
9. Describe the conversation the young men have about witnessing other hangings.
10. When the condemned man dies, what is the reaction of the young pregnant girl to whom he was singing?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)