|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Aliena tries to sell her fleeces at the market?
(a) The fleeces are stolen from her.
(b) She is only offered half of what they are worth.
(c) She gets full price for the fleeces.
(d) No one will buy them from a woman.
2. What impresses Tom about Ellen's son, Jack?
(a) He gives Tom's family his portion of food
(b) He offers the guests food before taking any for himself.
(c) He is able to hunt ducks with a stone and a sling.
(d) He has impeccable social graces.
3. How do the young maidens feel about the prisoner?
(a) They think he is possessed.
(b) They think he is ugly.
(c) They think he is retarded.
(d) They think he is handsome.
4. What type of cathedral does Tom design for Prior Philip?
(a) A stone cathedral with a flat roof and low archways
(b) An ornate, expensive cathedral of grandeur
(c) A simple wooden church with small windows and a low ceiling
(d) A dramatically beautiful church with a lofty nave and large windows
5. Why do the townspeople find the whole situation of the hanging strange?
(a) They don't understand why the condemned man would steal something he couldn't resell.
(b) Hangings usually take place in private.
(c) They find it strange that no one is going to see the hanging.
(d) They are not used to seeing a man hanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does the person take who screamed at the prisoner's death?
2. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring?
3. What angers Philip about the monks right after he arrives at his new assignment?
4. Why do three men ride behind the prisoner?
5. What question does Tom ask Ellen after staying with her for a time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fate of the White Ship and its passengers after it sets sail from England in 1120?
2. Of what is the crime that the condemned man has been found guilty?
3. What is the deal that Archdeacon Waleran makes with Philip after the death of Prior James, the Prior of Kingsbridge?
4. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring and how does this affect his relationship with Waleran?
5. Why does Abbot Peter transfer Prior Philip out of the monastery where he was born and where does he send him?
6. What does the condemned man do as the noose is placed around his neck?
7. Describe the condemned man's appearance.
8. Who is riding behind the oxcart that brings the condemned man to the gallows?
9. How does Tom first meet Ellen and her son, Jack?
10. What does Tom ask Ellen after she allows Tom and the children to stay in her cave, giving them food and shelter?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)