|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aliena's and Richard's father make them vow to him?
(a) They will get revenge on the Hamleighs and get back the earldom.
(b) They will go into the forest and stay out of harm's way.
(c) They will get as far away from Shiring as they can.
(d) They will get King Stephen to help them.
2. Why does Lord William Hamleigh dismiss Tom and his stonemasons?
(a) William decides to live in his father's castle.
(b) William's engagement is broken off.
(c) William finds a cheaper builder.
(d) William decides to move to a different town.
3. What angers Philip about the monks right after he arrives at his new assignment?
(a) Their disobedience and gluttony
(b) They gamble and drink
(c) Their disheveled appearance
(d) Their unfriendliness
4. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring?
(a) Kingsbridge gets the earl's money and the Hamleighs get the earldom.
(b) Kingsbridge gets the forest and quarries, while the Hamleighs get the earldom and farmland.
(c) Kingsbridge gets the farmland and the Hamleighs get the forest.
(d) Kingsbridge gets the forest and the Hamleigh's get the quarries.
5. How many men show up to work on the cathedral?
Short Answer Questions
1. What transpires when Tom and his quarrymen arrive at the quarry to start getting stone?
2. What horrifies Philip when he first sees Kingsbridge?
3. What does the prisoner do after the noose is placed around his neck?
4. What is Tom Builder's one passion in life?
5. Why doesn't the master builder of Salisbury Cathedral hire Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbot Peter transfer Prior Philip out of the monastery where he was born and where does he send him?
2. What is Tom Builder's greatest passion in life?
3. What does Tom discover when he has a change of heart and goes back to Agnes' grave to get the baby?
4. What does the condemned man do as the noose is placed around his neck?
5. Describe the condemned man's appearance.
6. Describe the conversation the young men have about witnessing other hangings.
7. Describe the plan Philip devises to get more work done on the cathedral before the visit from Bishop Henry.
8. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring and how does this affect his relationship with Waleran?
9. When the condemned man dies, what is the reaction of the young pregnant girl to whom he was singing?
10. What does Tom ask Ellen after she allows Tom and the children to stay in her cave, giving them food and shelter?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)