|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the fight between Alfred and Jack?
(a) Ellen is hurt in the fight.
(b) Alfred's hand is broken.
(c) A wall of the cathedral is seriously damaged.
(d) Tom is injured.
2. Why is Alfred marrying Aliena?
(a) He wants a family
(b) To hurt Richard
(c) He loves her.
(d) To hurt Jack
3. What does Jack tell the townspeople to inspire them?
(a) Prior Philip will ask God for help.
(b) God will give them the grace and strength to carry on.
(c) Richard will defeat William.
(d) Their crops are still in the fields and the livestock are unharmed.
4. What happens at the church service in Kingsbridge Cathedral on Whitsunsday?
(a) The bishops are impressed with the gorgeous cathedral.
(b) Prior Philip is named Archbishop.
(c) Richard is named as Earl of Shiring.
(d) The stone ceiling collapses on the congregation.
5. What does Richard do when he finds Alfred trying to rape Aliena?
(a) Kills him
(b) Tells Alfred to get out
(c) Throws Alfred out the door
(d) Knocks him unconscious
6. Who tells Aliena that Jack has gone to Paris to work on a cathedral?
7. Why are Prior Philip and the townspeople of Kingsbridge devastated?
(a) The town is in ruins.
(b) The monastery burned down.
(c) The market cannot be opened again.
(d) The bishop cannot come to visit.
8. How does the master builder of William's church find masons to hire?
(a) He goes to France and brings them back.
(b) He steals them from Kingsbridge.
(c) He goes to Winchester to hire them.
(d) He hires them in Salisbury.
9. What is Philip granted when he asks for a market license?
(a) He is granted the license if he pays 100 pounds.
(b) He is granted the forestland but no license.
(c) He is granted the use of the quarry but no license.
(d) He is granted only a partial license.
10. Who helps Jack escape from his punishment?
11. When William asks King Stephen for the earldom, who is also there saying he should be the earl?
12. What news does Francis bring to Philip when he arrives at the priory?
(a) King Stephen's son is taking over the throne.
(b) Maud is dead.
(c) King Stephen is ill and dying.
(d) Maud's son, Henry, is planning to take back the throne.
13. How many children do Jack and Aliena have?
14. Why do a band of outlaws attack Kingsbridge?
(a) They want Aliena's wool.
(b) They want to assassinate Prior Philip.
(c) They are starving and desperate.
(d) They want gold from the cathedral.
15. What does Aliena suggest Richard should do with the bandits?
(a) Let them go back to their families
(b) Put them to work in the fields
(c) Turn them into an army
(d) Hang them in the marketplace
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aliena surprised to discover about Jack?
2. What does Philip model the plans for a new town after?
3. What does Richard do to avoid being arrested by William?
4. What does Jonathan decide to do with his life now that he is sixteen years old?
5. What does Tom see when he goes to the top wall of the cathedral to save Jonathan?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)