|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jack's punishment for talking to Aliena unsupervised?
(a) He is locked in his room.
(b) He must lie in front of the altar and beg forgiveness.
(c) He is locked in a cell.
(d) He must fast for 30 days.
2. Why does Alfred throw Aliena out of the house?
(a) She insults his manhood.
(b) She is having an affair with one of the masons.
(c) She gives birth to Jack's baby.
(d) He found another lover.
3. Who does Jack find dead in the street?
(a) A young girl
(c) A priest
4. What does Tom give to Jack that no other man could give?
(a) His mason's tools
(b) A loving brother
(c) His wedding ring
(d) The cathedral
5. What news does a page bring to William while he is fighting in the civil war between Maud and Stephen?
(a) His mother is sick.
(b) His sister is ill.
(c) His father died.
(d) His castle was attacked.
6. What is Aliena surprised to discover about Jack?
(a) He reads.
(b) He is a lord.
(c) He doesn't know how to read.
(d) He is really Philip's son.
7. What visions are tormenting William when he stops building the church in Shiring?
(a) Being spat upon by peasants
(b) His mother burning in hell
(c) His begging in the streets
(d) Aliena laughing at him
8. What do the masons decide should happen as a result of the fight between Jack and Alfred?
(a) Either Alfred or Jack must leave.
(b) Alfred must leave.
(c) Jack must leave.
(d) Alfred and Jack must repair the cathedral wall.
9. Who does Aliena ask to help her gain access to Earlcastle?
10. What does Alfred reveal to Jack that infuriates him?
(a) Tom doesn't care about him.
(b) His father was hanged as a thief.
(c) Martha despises him.
(d) Ellen is not his real mother.
11. Who wins the battle when King Stephen's castle is attacked?
12. What does Philip respond to William's accusations?
(a) William is right about his accusations.
(b) William is a thief, rapist, and murderer.
(c) William is a good man but has the wrong information.
(d) William should understand the situation.
13. How does William's new wife, Elizabeth, feel about him?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She hates him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She is in awe of him.
14. Why does Alfred go to Aliena's home?
(a) To laugh in her face
(b) To beg her for money
(c) To kill her
(d) To ask her to come back to him
15. What does Richard tell Aliena to do when he finds that she has lost everything?
(a) To open a tavern
(b) To look for work in the city
(c) To plow the field
(d) To make more money
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Prior Philip's life in danger when he walks around the castle grounds with King Sephen?
2. What does Richard do to avoid being arrested by William?
3. Why are the peasants afraid to go to the Kingsbridge market?
4. What does Jack study while he is in Toledo?
5. What do the townspeople of Kingbridge build to fend off William's army?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)