|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
2. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
3. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
4. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
5. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Paris Wife help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Paris Wife? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Paris Wife to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 2,646 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)