|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ernest demoted?
2. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
3. Whom does Hadley marry?
4. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
5. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
2. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
3. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
4. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
5. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
6. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
7. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
8. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
9. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
10. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young girl, Hadley accidentally fell out of an upstairs window and was flat on her back for months recovering. During that time, she came to love reading. Her's father's alcoholism worsened as did his depression which led to his suicide. He shot himself in the head in his study. The house was in chaos and Hadley grieved the loss wishing she had known him better. Hadley became depressed making her family fear that she may be at risk for suicide herself.
1. How do you think being laid up for so long as a young girl affected Hadley's life and her personality? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think having an alcoholic in a family affect the children of the family? How does it change family dynamics? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it would be normal for a person to become depressed in Hadley's situation? Discuss in depth why or why not. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)