|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
2. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
3. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
4. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
5. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
2. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
3. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
6. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
7. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
8. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
9. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Paris Wife. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss McLain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does McLain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)