|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
2. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
3. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
4. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
5. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ernest's career and Hadley's loneliness are again at odds. Hadley's lack of self-worth makes her dependent on Ernest for her happiness. She realizes deep down that he must write, but she passively discourages him from doing so by her behavior. But ,perhaps, Ernest is using his writing as an excuse to be away from her.
1. Discuss ways in which Hadley's lack of self-worth might make her feel lonely when Ernest was not around. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which it was shown Hadley passively discouraged Ernest from writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss how Ernest using his writing as an excuse to be away from Hadley might have affected his writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,616 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)