|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
2. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
3. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
4. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
5. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
2. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
3. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
6. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
7. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
8. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
9. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
10. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernest's career and Hadley's loneliness are again at odds. Hadley's lack of self-worth makes her dependent on Ernest for her happiness. She realizes deep down that he must write, but she passively discourages him from doing so by her behavior. But ,perhaps, Ernest is using his writing as an excuse to be away from her.
1. Discuss ways in which Hadley's lack of self-worth might make her feel lonely when Ernest was not around. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which it was shown Hadley passively discouraged Ernest from writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss how Ernest using his writing as an excuse to be away from Hadley might have affected his writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)