|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
2. What illness strikes Bumby?
3. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
4. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
5. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
2. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
3. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
4. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
5. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
6. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
7. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
8. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
9. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
10. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)