|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
2. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
4. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
5. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
2. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
3. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
4. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
5. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
6. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
7. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
8. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
9. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
10. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)