|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
2. What is Hadley given for pain?
3. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
4. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
5. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
2. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
3. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
4. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
5. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
6. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
7. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
8. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
9. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)