|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
2. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
3. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
4. What proofs does Ernest review?
5. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
2. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
3. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
6. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
7. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
8. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
9. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Paris Wife help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Paris Wife? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Paris Wife to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)