Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)