|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
2. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
3. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
4. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
5. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
2. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
3. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
4. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
5. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
6. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
7. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
8. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
9. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
10. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young girl, Hadley accidentally fell out of an upstairs window and was flat on her back for months recovering. During that time, she came to love reading. Her's father's alcoholism worsened as did his depression which led to his suicide. He shot himself in the head in his study. The house was in chaos and Hadley grieved the loss wishing she had known him better. Hadley became depressed making her family fear that she may be at risk for suicide herself.
1. How do you think being laid up for so long as a young girl affected Hadley's life and her personality? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think having an alcoholic in a family affect the children of the family? How does it change family dynamics? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it would be normal for a person to become depressed in Hadley's situation? Discuss in depth why or why not. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)