|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
2. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
3. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
4. Why does Ernest go to New York?
5. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
2. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
3. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
4. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
5. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
6. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
7. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
8. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
9. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
10. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young girl, Hadley accidentally fell out of an upstairs window and was flat on her back for months recovering. During that time, she came to love reading. Her's father's alcoholism worsened as did his depression which led to his suicide. He shot himself in the head in his study. The house was in chaos and Hadley grieved the loss wishing she had known him better. Hadley became depressed making her family fear that she may be at risk for suicide herself.
1. How do you think being laid up for so long as a young girl affected Hadley's life and her personality? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think having an alcoholic in a family affect the children of the family? How does it change family dynamics? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it would be normal for a person to become depressed in Hadley's situation? Discuss in depth why or why not. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)