|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
2. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
3. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
4. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
5. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
2. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
3. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
4. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
5. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
6. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
7. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
8. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
9. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
10. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Paris Wife. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss McLain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does McLain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
As a young girl, Hadley accidentally fell out of an upstairs window and was flat on her back for months recovering. During that time, she came to love reading. Her's father's alcoholism worsened as did his depression which led to his suicide. He shot himself in the head in his study. The house was in chaos and Hadley grieved the loss wishing she had known him better. Hadley became depressed making her family fear that she may be at risk for suicide herself.
1. How do you think being laid up for so long as a young girl affected Hadley's life and her personality? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think having an alcoholic in a family affect the children of the family? How does it change family dynamics? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it would be normal for a person to become depressed in Hadley's situation? Discuss in depth why or why not. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)