|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
2. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
3. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
4. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
5. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
2. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
3. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
4. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
5. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
6. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
7. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
8. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
9. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
10. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)