|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that while Ernest is afraid of marrying, he is more afraid of being alone. This aspect of his psyche contributes to Ernest's relationship problems. It is finally revealed that Kate was in love with Ernest and she was jealous of Hadley's relationship with him. The tragedy of her own family is underscored when Hadley observes that so many members of her family are not at her wedding. Ernest is saying all the right words, but his reputation and youth will surely challenge their marriage. A serious disparity in their marriage is beginning to emerge. It is obvious that Ernest is most concerned with his writing.
1. Why do you think Ernest was afraid of marriage? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Ernest's fears of marriage and fears of being alone affected his marriages. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ernest's reputation and youth affected his marriage with Hadley? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 2,643 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)