|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
2. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
3. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
4. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
5. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
2. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
3. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
4. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
6. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
7. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
8. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
9. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
10. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Ernest's career and Hadley's loneliness are again at odds. Hadley's lack of self-worth makes her dependent on Ernest for her happiness. She realizes deep down that he must write, but she passively discourages him from doing so by her behavior. But ,perhaps, Ernest is using his writing as an excuse to be away from her.
1. Discuss ways in which Hadley's lack of self-worth might make her feel lonely when Ernest was not around. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which it was shown Hadley passively discouraged Ernest from writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss how Ernest using his writing as an excuse to be away from Hadley might have affected his writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)