|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proofs does Ernest review?
2. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
3. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
4. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
5. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
2. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
3. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
4. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
5. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
6. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
7. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
8. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
9. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
10. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)