|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
2. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
3. What is Hadley given for pain?
4. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
5. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
2. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
3. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
4. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
5. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
6. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
7. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
8. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
9. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
10. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)