|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
2. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
3. What does Hadley finally decide?
4. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
2. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
3. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
6. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
7. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
8. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
9. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
10. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)