|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Paris Wife help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Paris Wife? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Paris Wife to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 2,643 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)