|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
2. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
3. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
4. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
5. Of what is Zelda jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
2. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
3. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
4. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
5. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
6. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
7. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
8. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
9. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
10. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)