|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
2. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
3. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
4. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
5. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
2. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
3. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
4. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
5. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
6. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
7. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
8. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
9. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
10. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)