|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
2. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
3. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
4. What does Hadley figure out?
5. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
2. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
3. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
4. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
5. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
6. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
7. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
8. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
9. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
10. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ernest's career and Hadley's loneliness are again at odds. Hadley's lack of self-worth makes her dependent on Ernest for her happiness. She realizes deep down that he must write, but she passively discourages him from doing so by her behavior. But ,perhaps, Ernest is using his writing as an excuse to be away from her.
1. Discuss ways in which Hadley's lack of self-worth might make her feel lonely when Ernest was not around. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which it was shown Hadley passively discouraged Ernest from writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss how Ernest using his writing as an excuse to be away from Hadley might have affected his writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)