|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
2. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
3. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
4. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
5. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
2. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
3. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
6. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
7. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
8. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
9. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)