|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
2. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
3. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
4. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
5. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
2. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
3. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
4. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
5. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
6. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
7. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
8. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
9. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
10. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)