|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proofs does Ernest review?
2. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
3. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
4. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
5. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
2. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
3. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
4. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
5. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
6. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
7. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
8. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
9. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
10. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)