|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hadley given for pain?
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
3. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
4. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
5. Whom does Hadley marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
2. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
3. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
4. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
5. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
6. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
7. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
8. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
9. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
10. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The Paris Wife belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)