|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
2. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
3. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
4. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
5. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
2. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
3. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
4. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
5. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
6. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
7. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
8. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
9. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
10. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)