|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
2. What illness strikes Bumby?
3. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
4. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
2. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
3. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
4. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
5. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
6. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
7. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
8. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
9. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
10. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hadley and Pauline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ernest and Ezra. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Paris Wife help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)