|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
2. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
3. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
4. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
2. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
3. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
4. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
5. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
6. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
7. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
8. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
9. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
10. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Paris Wife belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Paris Wife help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Paris Wife? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Paris Wife to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)