|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
2. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
3. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
4. What is Hadley given for pain?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
2. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
3. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
4. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
5. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
6. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
7. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
8. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
9. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
10. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that while Ernest is afraid of marrying, he is more afraid of being alone. This aspect of his psyche contributes to Ernest's relationship problems. It is finally revealed that Kate was in love with Ernest and she was jealous of Hadley's relationship with him. The tragedy of her own family is underscored when Hadley observes that so many members of her family are not at her wedding. Ernest is saying all the right words, but his reputation and youth will surely challenge their marriage. A serious disparity in their marriage is beginning to emerge. It is obvious that Ernest is most concerned with his writing.
1. Why do you think Ernest was afraid of marriage? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Ernest's fears of marriage and fears of being alone affected his marriages. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ernest's reputation and youth affected his marriage with Hadley? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Paris Wife. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss McLain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does McLain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)