|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
2. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
3. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
4. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
5. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
2. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
3. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
4. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
5. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
6. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
7. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
8. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
9. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
10. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)