Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)