|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
2. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
3. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
4. What is Hadley given for pain?
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Paris Wife help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Paris Wife? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Paris Wife to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,593 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)