|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
2. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
3. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
4. Who is Agnes?
5. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
2. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
3. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
4. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
5. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
6. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
7. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
8. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
9. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
10. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that while Ernest is afraid of marrying, he is more afraid of being alone. This aspect of his psyche contributes to Ernest's relationship problems. It is finally revealed that Kate was in love with Ernest and she was jealous of Hadley's relationship with him. The tragedy of her own family is underscored when Hadley observes that so many members of her family are not at her wedding. Ernest is saying all the right words, but his reputation and youth will surely challenge their marriage. A serious disparity in their marriage is beginning to emerge. It is obvious that Ernest is most concerned with his writing.
1. Why do you think Ernest was afraid of marriage? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Ernest's fears of marriage and fears of being alone affected his marriages. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ernest's reputation and youth affected his marriage with Hadley? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)