Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
2. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
3. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
4. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
5. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest write about his family?
2. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
3. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
4. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
6. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
7. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
8. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
9. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
10. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
Essay Topic 1
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)