|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
2. With what is Ernest completely obsessed?
3. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
4. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
5. Why does Ernest rent an office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
2. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
3. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
4. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
5. What does Ernest do in Turkey?
6. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
7. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
8. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
9. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
10. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader learns that while Ernest is afraid of marrying, he is more afraid of being alone. This aspect of his psyche contributes to Ernest's relationship problems. It is finally revealed that Kate was in love with Ernest and she was jealous of Hadley's relationship with him. The tragedy of her own family is underscored when Hadley observes that so many members of her family are not at her wedding. Ernest is saying all the right words, but his reputation and youth will surely challenge their marriage. A serious disparity in their marriage is beginning to emerge. It is obvious that Ernest is most concerned with his writing.
1. Why do you think Ernest was afraid of marriage? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Ernest's fears of marriage and fears of being alone affected his marriages. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ernest's reputation and youth affected his marriage with Hadley? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)