|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
2. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
3. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
4. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
5. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest write about his family?
2. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
3. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
4. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
6. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
7. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
8. Summarize Ernest's future with women.
9. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
10. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Paris Wife. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss McLain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does McLain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Ernest's career and Hadley's loneliness are again at odds. Hadley's lack of self-worth makes her dependent on Ernest for her happiness. She realizes deep down that he must write, but she passively discourages him from doing so by her behavior. But ,perhaps, Ernest is using his writing as an excuse to be away from her.
1. Discuss ways in which Hadley's lack of self-worth might make her feel lonely when Ernest was not around. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which it was shown Hadley passively discouraged Ernest from writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss how Ernest using his writing as an excuse to be away from Hadley might have affected his writing. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 3,201 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)