|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley lose on the train?
2. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
3. Where does Ernest say he might move?
4. Why does Ernest insist upon going back to Paris?
5. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
2. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
3. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
4. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
5. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
6. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
7. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
8. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
9. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
10. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The Paris Wife belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)