|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
2. What sort of accusations are circulated about a small newspaper where Ernest works?
3. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
4. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
5. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
2. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
3. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
4. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
5. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
6. What does Ernest do in Turkey?
7. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
8. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
9. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
10. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)