|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
2. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
3. Who is Harrison Williams?
4. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
5. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
2. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
3. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
4. What does Ernest write about his family?
5. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
6. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
7. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
8. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
9. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
10. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As a young girl, Hadley accidentally fell out of an upstairs window and was flat on her back for months recovering. During that time, she came to love reading. Her's father's alcoholism worsened as did his depression which led to his suicide. He shot himself in the head in his study. The house was in chaos and Hadley grieved the loss wishing she had known him better. Hadley became depressed making her family fear that she may be at risk for suicide herself.
1. How do you think being laid up for so long as a young girl affected Hadley's life and her personality? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. How do you think having an alcoholic in a family affect the children of the family? How does it change family dynamics? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think it would be normal for a person to become depressed in Hadley's situation? Discuss in depth why or why not. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)