|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
2. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
3. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
4. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
5. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
2. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
3. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
4. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
5. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
6. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
7. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
8. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
9. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
10. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot is present in The Paris Wife? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)