|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
2. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
3. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
4. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
5. What does Ernest decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
2. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
3. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
4. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
5. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
6. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
7. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
8. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
9. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
10. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Florence was a feminist before it was fashionable and was obsessed with women's rights. It was no wonder that Hadley suffered from lack of self-esteem - her mother favored Fonnie, her sister who was a few years old than she, and paid little attention to Hadley. Hadley reeled from the death of another older sister, Dorthea, with whom she had her closest familial relationship. On her death bed, her mother inflicted a final measure of unworthiness upon Hadley. She told her that she contacted Dorthea in a séance. Dorthea evidently saw into the Hadley's future, and it was so horrid that she refused to tell Florence what she saw.
1. Explain how you think Florence being a feminist affected Hadley and Hadley's own views on life. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why the death of a sister to whom Hadley was close affected her and how you think it did. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Hadley's low opinion of herself due to her mother affected Hadley's marriage with Ernest Hemingway? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Paris Wife belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Paris Wife. The questions are ones that McLain most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the McLain' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss McLain' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of McLain and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)