|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
2. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
3. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
4. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
5. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
2. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
3. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
4. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
5. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
6. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
7. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
8. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
9. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
10. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)