|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
2. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
3. Why does Ernest rent an office?
4. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
5. Where does Ernest say he might move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
2. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
3. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
4. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
5. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
6. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
7. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
8. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
9. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
10. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,209 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)