|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
2. How old is Hemingway?
3. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
4. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
5. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest write about his family?
2. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
3. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
4. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
5. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
6. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
7. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
8. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
9. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
10. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)