|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
2. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
3. How old is Hemingway?
4. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
5. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
2. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
3. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
4. What does Ernest write about his family?
5. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
6. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
7. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
8. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
9. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
10. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that while Ernest is afraid of marrying, he is more afraid of being alone. This aspect of his psyche contributes to Ernest's relationship problems. It is finally revealed that Kate was in love with Ernest and she was jealous of Hadley's relationship with him. The tragedy of her own family is underscored when Hadley observes that so many members of her family are not at her wedding. Ernest is saying all the right words, but his reputation and youth will surely challenge their marriage. A serious disparity in their marriage is beginning to emerge. It is obvious that Ernest is most concerned with his writing.
1. Why do you think Ernest was afraid of marriage? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Ernest's fears of marriage and fears of being alone affected his marriages. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ernest's reputation and youth affected his marriage with Hadley? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 3,299 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)