|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
2. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
3. Where is there news of increased conflicts?
4. How does Ernest respond to Stein's suggestions?
5. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
2. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
3. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
4. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
5. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
6. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
7. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
8. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
9. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
10. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know." Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paula McLain.
2. What in McLain's background may have helped him in writing The Paris Wife? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Paris Wife interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ernest. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hadley. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pauline. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)