|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fascinates Hadley?
2. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
3. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
4. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
5. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
2. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
3. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
4. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
5. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
6. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
7. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
8. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
9. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
10. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Paris Wife. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in The Paris Wife. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Paris Wife based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Paris Wife is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Paris Wife a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)