|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
2. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
3. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
4. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
5. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
2. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
3. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
4. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
5. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
6. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
7. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
8. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
9. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
10. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Paris Wife belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Paris Wife is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)