|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agnes?
2. Why does Ernest rent an office?
3. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
4. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
5. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
2. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
3. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
4. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
5. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
6. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
7. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
8. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
9. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
10. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Paris Wife.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Paris Wife. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Paris Wife. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,255 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)