|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
2. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
3. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
4. Why does Ernest insist upon going back to Paris?
5. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
2. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
3. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
4. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
5. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
6. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
7. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
8. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
9. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
10. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Paris Wife. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think McLain chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss McLain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does McLain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)