|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(b) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(c) Pauline will not be invited along.
(d) He wants to move alone.
2. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
3. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she will give him another chance.
(b) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(c) If she is leaving him.
(d) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
4. What does Hadley finally decide?
(a) Her marriage is over for good.
(b) She may try once more if Ernest comes to the United States and asks her.
(c) Bumby would be harmed to be raised with Pauline in the household.
(d) Ernest never loved her.
5. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(b) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(d) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
2. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
3. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
4. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
5. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
2. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
3. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
4. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
5. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
6. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
7. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
8. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
9. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
10. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)