|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
(b) Write music.
(c) Take up the piano again.
(d) Study painting.
2. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) He ended the engagement.
(b) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(c) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
(d) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
3. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Alice B. Toklas.
(b) Dorothy Pound.
(c) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
4. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 100 days.
(d) 1 month.
5. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Moody and generous.
(b) Kind and generous.
(c) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(d) Candid and sensible.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
2. What does Hadley figure out?
3. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
4. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
5. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
2. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
3. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
4. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
5. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
6. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
7. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
8. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
9. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
10. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)