|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
(a) To New York.
(b) To a larger villa in Italy.
(c) To Arkansas.
(d) To her large flat in Paris.
2. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
(a) He is thinking about committing suicide.
(b) He wants a relationship with both of them.
(c) He plans to divorce Hadley to marry Pauline.
(d) He is in favor of moving to Arkansas.
3. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(a) Locking himself in his office.
(b) Going out with the boys.
(c) Talking to himself.
4. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 100 days.
(d) 1 month.
5. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley figure out?
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
3. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
4. What does Hadley finally decide?
5. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
2. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
3. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
4. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
5. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
6. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
7. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
8. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
9. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
10. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)