|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness strikes Bumby?
(a) Whooping cough.
(b) Chicken pox.
2. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(c) She is insane.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
3. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill father.
(b) To interview other possible publishing companies.
(c) To visit his ill mother.
(d) To give a pitch for his book in person.
4. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) Love for Hadley.
(b) Sorrow for Bumby.
(c) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
(d) A sadness.
5. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) His second novel received great reviews.
(c) In Our Time was to be published.
(d) His brother is coming to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
2. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
3. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
4. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
5. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
2. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
3. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
4. What did Ernest tell Hadley when he called about writing his memoir?
5. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
6. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
7. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
8. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
9. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
10. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)