|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
(a) Pauline and Ernest were married in Paris.
(b) Pauline decided not to marry Ernest.
(c) Ernest decided not to marry Pauline.
(d) Pauline and Ernest were married in Austria.
2. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Steven Mowrerey.
(b) Her high school sweetheart.
(c) Paul Mowrer.
(d) She never marries.
3. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Candid and sensible.
(b) Kind and generous.
(c) Moody and generous.
(d) A spendthrift and temperamental.
4. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Write music.
(b) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
(c) Study painting.
(d) Take up the piano again.
5. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(c) Memorizes it.
(d) Sends it back unread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
2. Of what is Zelda jealous?
3. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
4. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
5. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
2. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
3. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
4. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
5. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
6. Why did Hadley set sail for the United States with Bumby?
7. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
8. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
9. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
10. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)