|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Spring, 1927.
(b) Fall, 1930.
(c) Summer, 1929.
(d) Summer, 1926.
2. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(b) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
3. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
4. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(d) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
5. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Memorizes it.
(d) Sends it back unread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
2. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
3. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
4. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
5. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
2. What evidence of success did Ernest have?
3. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
4. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
5. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
6. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
7. How did Pauline and Ernest begin an affair and how did Ernest feel about her and Hadley?
8. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
9. What happens that makes Hadley realize she had to do something about her life?
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book and what is his explanation about it?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)