|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) She never marries.
(b) Steven Mowrerey.
(c) Her high school sweetheart.
(d) Paul Mowrer.
2. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(b) His father.
(c) Bumby getting sick.
(d) His career.
3. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For arguing with his copy editor.
(b) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(c) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(d) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
4. What proofs does Ernest review?
(a) For a small book of his stories and poems.
(b) For a book that Ezra Pound is publishing.
(c) For a book of family stories that his sister is publishing.
5. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(b) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(c) Pauline will not be invited along.
(d) He wants to move alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
2. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
3. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
5. How many children does Ernest have with Pauline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it appear that Hadley and Pauline are friends? How does Hadley really feel about Pauline?
2. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
3. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
4. What happens when Hadley goes to visit Kitty at Kitty's apartment?
5. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
6. What deal did Hadley offer Ernest?
7. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
8. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
9. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
10. How does Hadley feel about Pauline visiting them in Austria?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)