|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(b) They are served bizarre finger food.
(c) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
2. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(b) Writing a book about her mother.
(c) Going to Europe.
(d) Having a drink and dancing a little.
3. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) The master of ceremonies.
(b) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(c) No one.
(d) A young man at the party she does not know.
4. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) To look like a read author.
(b) It was too distracting to work at home.
(c) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(d) To have a tax write off.
5. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(b) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(c) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(d) She spurned his advances.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
2. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
3. Who is Harrison Williams?
4. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
5. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
2. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
3. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
4. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
5. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
6. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
7. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
8. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
9. About what is Hadley hurt and angry that Pauline tells her?
10. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)