|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If he should go to Paris instead.
(b) If she would come along as his mistress.
(c) If he is making the best decision.
(d) If she wants to come along as his wife.
2. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(b) Correspondent for the Times.
(c) Soldier on the front lines.
(d) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
3. For how long do the Hemingways not speak to each other?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 1 day.
4. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
5. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Forget writing.
(b) Returning to the States.
(c) Taking on a new job.
(d) Having a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
2. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
3. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
4. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
5. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
2. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
3. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
4. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
5. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
6. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
7. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
8. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
9. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
10. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)