|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use more complex writing.
(b) Use less obscure vocabulary.
(c) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
(d) Use more detailed scenes.
2. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has dysentery.
(b) He is recovering from a head injury.
(c) He has malaria.
(d) He is recovering from food poisoning.
3. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(a) Her marriage.
(d) Not having her own work.
4. Where is the church where Ernest and Hadley marry?
(a) Near St. Louis.
(b) Holton Township.
(c) Near Ketchum.
(d) Horton Bay.
5. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) Every week or two.
(c) Once in several months.
(d) About once a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hadley when Ernest meets her the next morning?
2. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
3. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
4. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
5. Where does Ernest say he might move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
2. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
3. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
4. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
5. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
6. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
7. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
8. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
9. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
10. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)