|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(b) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(c) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
(d) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
2. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(b) Sorry that they fought.
(d) Hurt and angry.
3. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her glasses.
(c) Some money.
(d) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
4. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(b) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(c) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
5. Where is Hadley Richardson?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
2. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
3. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
4. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
5. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
2. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
3. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
4. What does Ernest write about his family?
5. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
6. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
7. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
8. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
9. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
10. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)