|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(b) He speaks his feelings about her.
(c) He admires her so much.
(d) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
2. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) Firestone Tires.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Carnegie Steel.
3. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(b) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
(c) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(d) Nothing is significant about the place.
4. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Kisses the envelope.
(b) Invites him to St. Louis.
(c) Includes a poems he wrote.
(d) Includes a lock of her hair.
5. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) Huge displacements of civilians.
(b) The Franco-Turkish war.
(d) The Greco-Turkish war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
2. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
3. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
4. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
5. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
2. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
3. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
4. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
5. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
6. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
7. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
8. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
9. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
10. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)