|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of accusations are circulated about a small newspaper where Ernest works?
(a) The paper was involved in unethical activities.
(b) The paper was run by a Communist.
(c) The paper lacked good journalism.
(d) The paper was anti-American.
2. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Firestone Tires.
(d) Carnegie Steel.
3. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(b) She is fearful for his safety.
(c) She asks him not to go.
(d) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
4. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
(b) A husband and wife.
(c) No one Hadley has ever met.
(d) Friends of Hadley's.
5. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
(a) Meet someone who wants to be a traveling companion.
(b) Interview one of its famous attendees.
(c) Dance with Hemingway again.
(d) She has no particular hopes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
2. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
3. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
4. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
5. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
2. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
3. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
4. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
5. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
6. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
7. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
8. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
9. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
10. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)