|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Every week or two.
(b) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Once in several months.
2. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(b) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(c) He learns more about symbolism.
(d) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
3. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Write a long book and not short stories.
(b) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
(c) Send off his letters of introduction.
(d) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
4. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(c) No one.
5. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
2. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
3. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
4. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
5. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
2. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
3. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
4. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
5. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
6. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
7. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
8. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
9. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
10. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)