|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(b) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
(c) He is still in love with another woman.
(d) He is dating another woman.
2. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her father has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her brother has just died.
(d) Her mother has just died.
3. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(a) Writing a book about her mother.
(b) Having a drink and dancing a little.
(c) Going to Europe.
4. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
(a) Be happy.
(b) Enjoy nature.
5. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(b) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(c) He admires her so much.
(d) He speaks his feelings about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
2. Who is Edward O'Brien?
3. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
4. What aspect does Ezra excoriate while the Hemingways are there?
5. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
2. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
3. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
4. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
5. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
6. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
7. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
8. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
9. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
10. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)