|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Almost drowned Ernest.
(b) Exposed her breast to him.
(c) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(d) Almost drowned.
2. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her checkbook.
(b) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(c) Her bank book.
(d) Her diaphragm.
3. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
(b) Her sister Dorothea.
(c) Her sister Fonnie.
4. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(a) No one.
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
(b) Hemingway's family cottage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
2. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
3. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
4. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
5. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
2. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
3. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
4. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
5. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
6. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
7. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
8. What does Ernest write about his family?
9. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
10. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)