|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(b) She spurned his advances.
(c) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(d) She was very mean and degrading to him.
2. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(b) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(c) They are served bizarre finger food.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
3. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She asks him not to go.
(b) She is fearful for his safety.
(c) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
(d) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
4. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) A family friend.
(b) Her brother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her cousin.
5. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her sister Dorothea.
(b) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
(c) Her sister Fonnie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
2. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
3. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
4. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
5. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
2. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
3. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
4. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
5. What does Ernest write about his family?
6. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
7. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
8. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
9. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
10. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)