|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He has no feelings one way or the other.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
2. Who is Agnes?
(a) Ernest's cousin.
(b) Hadley's cousin.
(c) A nurse in England.
(d) A nurse in Italy.
3. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
(a) Alice B. Toklas.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Zora Neal Hurston.
(d) James Joyce.
4. Of what is Ernest more frightened than getting married?
(a) Not becoming a successful writer.
(c) Being humiliated.
(d) Being alone.
5. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
(a) The first time he's been on the front lines of a conflict.
(b) The first time he has not spoken the language of the combatants.
(c) The first time he's worked with a female war correspondent.
(d) The first time he's been near war since he was wounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
2. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
3. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
4. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
5. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
2. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
3. What did the couple do in Switzerland?
4. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
5. Why is the Hemingway's visit with Gertrude Stein unusual, and what does Stein recommend to Ernest?
6. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
7. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
8. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
9. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
10. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)