|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) A family friend.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) No one.
(d) Her brother.
2. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
(a) The first time he has not spoken the language of the combatants.
(b) The first time he's worked with a female war correspondent.
(c) The first time he's been near war since he was wounded.
(d) The first time he's been on the front lines of a conflict.
3. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(b) He learns more about symbolism.
(c) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(d) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
4. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is divorcing her husband.
(c) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(d) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
5. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A bunch of roses.
(c) A special delivery letter.
(d) A poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hadley at the opening?
2. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
3. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
4. Who is Harrison Williams?
5. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hadley learn about Ernest when she met him the next morning in the kitchen?
2. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
3. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
4. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
5. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
6. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
7. Why did Hadley not want to go to the suffragette meeting with Fonnie?
8. What does Ernest write about his family?
9. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
10. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)