|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(a) Writes for hours.
(d) Throws things.
2. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Soldier on the front lines.
(b) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
3. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Includes a poems he wrote.
(b) Includes a lock of her hair.
(c) Invites him to St. Louis.
(d) Kisses the envelope.
4. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(b) He is still in love with another woman.
(c) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
(d) He is dating another woman.
5. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a bitch.
(b) As a loving nurturer.
(c) As a brilliant but good woman.
(d) As a insane woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the church where Ernest and Hadley marry?
2. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
3. Where does Ernest say he might move?
4. What is becoming less frequent?
5. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
2. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
3. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
4. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
5. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
6. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
7. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
8. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
9. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
10. What happened to Ernest when he was in Italy that he recalls on this trip?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)