|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
(a) A French war correspondent.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A Turkish ayatollah.
(d) A British war correspondent.
2. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
3. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
(a) It was not important.
(b) It was priceless.
(c) Nothing, because she is too upset to talk about it.
(d) It can easily be replaced.
4. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(b) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(c) Soldier on the front lines.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
5. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As somewhat of a passive person.
(b) As a mediocre writer.
(c) As a psuedo-intellectual.
(d) As a lesbian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
2. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
3. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
4. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
5. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
2. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
3. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
4. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
5. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
6. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
7. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
8. What does Ernest write about his family?
9. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
10. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)