|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(b) They both hate the area.
(c) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(d) They both love the area.
2. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her sister Dorothea.
(b) Her sister Fonnie.
(d) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
3. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She spurned his advances.
(b) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(c) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(d) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
4. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
5. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(b) Pretends that it's not important.
(c) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(d) Tries to remain calm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest rent an office?
2. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
3. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
4. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
5. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
2. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
3. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
4. Why is Zelda jealous and what does she think of Ernest?
5. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
6. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
7. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
8. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
9. What does Ernest recall about an incident with Kate?
10. What does Ernest write Hadley from Madrid, and why does Ernest hate to be alone?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)