|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ernest's job send him?
2. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She spurned his advances.
(b) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(c) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(d) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
3. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(c) She is divorcing her husband.
(d) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
4. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
(a) A long, complicated story about a trip to Africa.
(b) A long, complicated story about a trip to Nepal.
(c) A huge family photo album.
(d) Inviting their pastor over to talk about their trip as missionaries to Africa.
5. Of what is Ernest more frightened than getting married?
(b) Not becoming a successful writer.
(c) Being alone.
(d) Being humiliated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
2. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
3. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
4. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
5. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
2. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
3. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
4. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
5. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
6. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
7. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
8. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
9. What does Ernest do in Turkey?
10. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)