|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernest respond to Stein's suggestions?
(a) He takes a little of the advice but not much.
(b) He embraces the advice wholeheartedly.
(c) He scorns it.
(d) He is amused.
2. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(a) Ernest's parents.
(c) Hadley's sister.
(d) Ernest's brother.
3. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
4. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(b) Nothing is significant about the place.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
5. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
2. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
3. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
4. Why does Ernest insist upon going back to Paris?
5. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving of 1922 and what does he want Hadley to do?
2. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
3. Describe the Hemingway's outing with the Pounds.
4. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
5. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
6. What sort of emotional issues is Ernest having?
7. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
8. What does Ernest believe about Hadley's pregnancy in connection with the lost manuscripts?
9. What does Kate finally share with Hadley?
10. In what condition does Ernest return to Paris and does the couple settle their differences?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)