|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
(a) His father was dying.
(b) His has received his third rejection from the Saturday Evening Post.
(c) His mother was there visiting.
(d) His brother is missing.
2. Where does Ernest say he might move?
(a) New York.
3. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
(a) A long, complicated story about a trip to Africa.
(b) Inviting their pastor over to talk about their trip as missionaries to Africa.
(c) A huge family photo album.
(d) A long, complicated story about a trip to Nepal.
4. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(b) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
(c) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(d) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
5. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They are served bizarre finger food.
(b) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(c) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
2. How does Ernest respond to Stein's suggestions?
3. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
4. Where is Hadley Richardson?
5. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernest start to break into the Paris literary scene?
2. How does Hadley doubt the wisdom of a relationship with Ernest and how does Ernest propose to Hadley?
3. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
4. Where do the Hadley and Ernest live right after their marriage, and how do they have the money to sustain them?
5. Why does Ernest decide to take some time off from working?
6. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
7. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
8. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
9. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
10. What does Ernest write about his family?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)