|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Kate's best friend.
(b) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(c) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(d) Hemingway's best friend.
2. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
(a) A long, complicated story about a trip to Africa.
(b) A huge family photo album.
(c) A long, complicated story about a trip to Nepal.
(d) Inviting their pastor over to talk about their trip as missionaries to Africa.
3. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(b) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(c) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
(d) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
4. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(a) Hates it.
5. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Once in several months.
(b) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Every week or two.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
2. Where is there news of increased conflicts?
3. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
4. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
5. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
2. Describe the Hemingway's visit to the Pound's home.
3. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
4. What does Ernest write about his family?
5. What happens on the train when Hadley is traveling to join Ernest?
6. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
7. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
8. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
9. How does Hadley feel about Ernest going to Turkey and what do they do regarding the issue?
10. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)