|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) A young man at the party she does not know.
(b) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(c) The master of ceremonies.
(d) No one.
2. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both love the area.
(b) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(c) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(d) They both hate the area.
3. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(b) Her checkbook.
(c) Her diaphragm.
(d) Her bank book.
4. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) A family friend.
(b) No one.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her brother.
5. Where does Ernest's job send him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
2. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
3. How old is Hemingway?
4. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
5. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Hadley and Ernest's first lovemaking?
2. What does Ernest write about his family?
3. Why does Ernest go back to Paris briefly?
4. Where is there news about increased conflicts and how does that affect Ernest?
5. What does Sherwood Anderson recommend Ernest do, and how does he help Ernest?
6. What did Hadley and her sister Fonnie do in 1904?
7. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie upon Hadley's return to St. Louis and how does Fonnie learn about Hadley's secret?
8. How does Ernest have a brief affair and what does he think of concerning Hadley and the affair?
9. How did Hadley and Ernest adjust to Paris life?
10. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)