|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) To look like a read author.
(b) It was too distracting to work at home.
(c) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(d) To have a tax write off.
2. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He speaks his feelings about her.
(b) He admires her so much.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
3. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
4. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Emmanual Kant.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
5. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) Pablo Picasso.
(b) T. S. Eliot.
(c) Alice B. Toklas.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
2. Of what is Ernest more frightened than getting married?
3. Where is Hadley Richardson?
4. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
5. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernest's writing change after his visit to Stein?
2. When does Hadley visit Ernest and why is she upset by what he tells her? What is her response?
3. Where was Hadley when the novel opens and what is she doing?
4. What does Gertrude Stein say about the baby and the lost manuscripts?
5. Who is Hadley's father and what did he do?
6. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
7. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
8. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
9. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Agnes and how does Hadley feel about what he says?
10. Why is Hadley in mourning and why does she think the party will help?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)