|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) It interrupts his train of thought.
(b) It is often more insightful than his own.
(c) She is long winded.
(d) It is trivial.
2. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
(a) The beach.
(b) In Manhatten.
(c) Her sister's house.
(d) A dinner party.
3. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(d) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
4. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill mother.
(b) To interview other possible publishing companies.
(c) To give a pitch for his book in person.
(d) To visit his ill father.
5. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
(c) John Hadley Hemingway.
(d) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
6. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He refuses to answer her.
(b) He lies.
(c) He tells her everything.
(d) He slaps her.
7. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Fall, 1930.
(b) Spring, 1927.
(c) Summer, 1926.
(d) Summer, 1929.
8. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
(c) He kept to himself.
(d) Attentive and romantic.
9. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At the park.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At the zoo.
(d) At a book signing.
10. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
(b) Write music.
(c) Take up the piano again.
(d) Study painting.
11. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) Ernest's friends in Paris.
(b) Ernest's childhood school chums.
(c) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
(d) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
12. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(b) They look for an apartment in the city.
(c) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(d) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
13. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(b) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
(c) For arguing with his copy editor.
(d) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
14. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
(b) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
(c) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(d) He ended the engagement.
15. What does Hadley finally decide?
(a) Her marriage is over for good.
(b) Ernest never loved her.
(c) Bumby would be harmed to be raised with Pauline in the household.
(d) She may try once more if Ernest comes to the United States and asks her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
2. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
3. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
4. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
5. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)