|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(c) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
2. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) He ended the engagement.
(b) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(c) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
(d) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
3. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He lies.
(c) He tells her everything.
(d) He refuses to answer her.
4. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she will give him another chance.
(b) If she is leaving him.
(c) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(d) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
5. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(b) Discuss Hadley.
(c) Argue again.
(d) Go to Pauline's and make love.
6. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
(d) Ernest's sister.
7. How many children does Ernest have with Pauline?
8. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(b) To have good things for his son.
(c) To earn passage to Paris.
(d) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
9. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Study painting.
(b) Take up the piano again.
(c) Write music.
(d) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
10. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(b) For arguing with his copy editor.
(c) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(d) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
11. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
12. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(b) She is more interesting than her husband.
(c) She is delightful.
(d) She is insane.
13. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
14. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Memorizes it.
(b) Sends it back unread.
(c) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(d) Burns it.
15. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Zelda jealous?
2. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
3. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
4. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
5. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)