|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In Pauline's motel room.
(b) In an office room he rented.
(c) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(d) In a motel near the villa.
2. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
3. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
(b) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
(c) Ernest's friends in Paris.
(d) Ernest's childhood school chums.
4. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Moody and generous.
(b) Kind and generous.
(c) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(d) Candid and sensible.
5. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
(b) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(c) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
(d) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
6. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 33 years.
7. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At a cafe.
(b) At the park.
(c) At a book signing.
(d) At the zoo.
8. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
9. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Spring, 1927.
(b) Summer, 1929.
(c) Fall, 1930.
(d) Summer, 1926.
10. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(b) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(c) To earn passage to Paris.
(d) To have good things for his son.
11. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Arkansas.
(c) To her large flat in Paris.
(d) To a larger villa in Italy.
12. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(b) His career.
(c) Bumby getting sick.
(d) His father.
13. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
(b) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
(d) John Hadley Hemingway.
14. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) She is insane.
(c) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
15. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
(a) They kiss.
(b) They discuss Ernest's next book.
(c) They discuss Ernest's relationship with Hadley.
(d) They argue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest go to New York?
2. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
3. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
4. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
5. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)