|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proofs does Ernest review?
(a) For a book of family stories that his sister is publishing.
(b) For a book that Ezra Pound is publishing.
(c) For a small book of his stories and poems.
2. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 100 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 6 months.
3. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill father.
(b) To give a pitch for his book in person.
(c) To visit his ill mother.
(d) To interview other possible publishing companies.
4. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
(a) He is thinking about committing suicide.
(b) He is in favor of moving to Arkansas.
(c) He wants a relationship with both of them.
(d) He plans to divorce Hadley to marry Pauline.
5. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In an office room he rented.
(b) In a motel near the villa.
(c) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(d) In Pauline's motel room.
6. What is Hadley given for pain?
(c) An injection.
7. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
(a) The beach.
(b) In Manhatten.
(c) Her sister's house.
(d) A dinner party.
8. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
(a) She loved him selfishly.
(b) She should have given him another chance.
(c) He and she loved each other too much.
(d) She was the only woman he would consider remarrying.
9. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(b) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
(c) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(d) For arguing with his copy editor.
10. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Joins them in the bed.
(b) Takes Bumby for a walk.
(c) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
(d) Goes through their personal writings.
11. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
(a) Months long.
(c) Quick, one or two hour interviews.
(d) Mundane matters.
12. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(b) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
(c) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(d) They look for an apartment in the city.
13. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) Ernest asks her to do so.
14. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(c) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
15. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
2. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
3. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
4. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
5. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)