|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Summer, 1929.
(b) Fall, 1930.
(c) Spring, 1927.
(d) Summer, 1926.
2. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(c) She is more interesting than her husband.
(d) She is insane.
3. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
(a) In Bern.
(b) In London.
(c) In St. Moritz.
(d) In Rapallo.
4. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It is very short.
(b) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(c) It was completed so quickly.
(d) It doesn't include her.
6. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At the zoo.
(b) At the park.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) At a book signing.
7. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Dorothy Pound.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(d) Ezra Pound.
8. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(b) He wants to move alone.
(c) Pauline will not be invited along.
(d) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
9. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) No one.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
10. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
(b) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
(c) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
11. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In a motel near the villa.
(b) In Pauline's motel room.
(c) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(d) In an office room he rented.
12. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
13. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(b) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
14. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To have good things for his son.
(b) To earn passage to Paris.
(c) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(d) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
15. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she is leaving him.
(b) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
(c) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(d) If she will give him another chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
2. What does Hadley finally decide?
3. Why does Ernest go to New York?
4. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
5. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)