|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proofs does Ernest review?
(a) For a book of family stories that his sister is publishing.
(b) For a small book of his stories and poems.
(c) For a book that Ezra Pound is publishing.
2. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) He wants to move alone.
(b) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(c) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(d) Pauline will not be invited along.
3. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(b) She is insane.
(c) She is more interesting than her husband.
(d) She is delightful.
4. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) For Vogue.
(b) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(c) To break into the fashion industry.
(d) For her brother.
5. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
6. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
(a) He does not want him there.
(b) She wants to know how to owrk things out.
(c) She wants him to seek counseling.
(d) She forgives him if he'll give up Pauline.
7. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(b) Memorizes it.
(c) Sends it back unread.
(d) Burns it.
8. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
(a) He wants a relationship with both of them.
(b) He is in favor of moving to Arkansas.
(c) He plans to divorce Hadley to marry Pauline.
(d) He is thinking about committing suicide.
9. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(b) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(c) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
(d) They look for an apartment in the city.
10. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
(b) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
(c) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(d) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
11. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(b) Argue again.
(c) Discuss Hadley.
(d) Go to Pauline's and make love.
12. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Leaving Hadley.
(b) Taking his family back to Toronto.
(c) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
13. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) To Southern Italy.
(b) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(c) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(d) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
14. What illness strikes Bumby?
(a) Whooping cough.
(b) Chicken pox.
15. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
(a) 33 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
2. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
3. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
4. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
5. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)