|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Leaving Hadley.
(b) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(d) Taking his family back to Toronto.
2. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) No one.
3. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
4. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) A separate motel from Hadley.
(b) Gertrude Stein's home.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
(d) Gerald's studio.
5. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
(b) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
(c) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
6. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(b) He loves them both.
(c) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(d) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
7. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At a book signing.
(b) At the park.
(c) At the zoo.
(d) At a cafe.
8. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) She is insane.
(c) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
9. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) For her brother.
(b) To break into the fashion industry.
(c) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(d) For Vogue.
10. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
11. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) At local vineyards.
(b) On a seaside road.
(c) Around a friend's country estate.
(d) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
12. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) It is trivial.
(b) It is often more insightful than his own.
(c) It interrupts his train of thought.
(d) She is long winded.
13. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(b) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(c) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(d) To Southern Italy.
14. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
(a) She loved him selfishly.
(b) He and she loved each other too much.
(c) She should have given him another chance.
(d) She was the only woman he would consider remarrying.
15. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) His second novel received great reviews.
(c) In Our Time was to be published.
(d) His brother is coming to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
2. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
3. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
4. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
5. What illness strikes Bumby?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)