|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(a) The United States.
2. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It was completed so quickly.
(b) It doesn't include her.
(c) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(d) It is very short.
3. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) His brother is coming to visit.
(c) In Our Time was to be published.
(d) His second novel received great reviews.
4. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) It is often more insightful than his own.
(b) She is long winded.
(c) It is trivial.
(d) It interrupts his train of thought.
5. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Fall, 1930.
(b) Spring, 1927.
(c) Summer, 1929.
(d) Summer, 1926.
6. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
(a) No one.
7. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(b) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
8. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
(b) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(c) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(d) He loves them both.
9. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(b) To have good things for his son.
(c) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(d) To earn passage to Paris.
10. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
(b) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
(c) John Hadley Hemingway.
(d) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
11. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Dorothy Pound.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
12. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
(b) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(c) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(d) They look for an apartment in the city.
13. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) Love for Hadley.
(b) Sorrow for Bumby.
(c) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
(d) A sadness.
14. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Goes through their personal writings.
(b) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
(c) Takes Bumby for a walk.
(d) Joins them in the bed.
15. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(d) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness strikes Bumby?
2. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
3. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
4. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
5. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)