|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is suicidal.
(b) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
(c) Pauline is pregnant.
(d) Pauline is quite ill.
2. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Sends it back unread.
(b) Memorizes it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
3. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 100 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 month.
4. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) To visit her ill mother.
(c) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(d) Ernest asks her to do so.
5. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
(a) They kiss.
(b) They discuss Ernest's next book.
(c) They discuss Ernest's relationship with Hadley.
(d) They argue.
6. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He lies.
(b) He tells her everything.
(c) He refuses to answer her.
(d) He slaps her.
7. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(b) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
(c) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
(d) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
8. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To give a pitch for his book in person.
(b) To visit his ill mother.
(c) To visit his ill father.
(d) To interview other possible publishing companies.
9. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) In Our Time was to be published.
(c) His second novel received great reviews.
(d) His brother is coming to visit.
10. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(c) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(d) It seems to be on the skids.
11. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(b) To earn passage to Paris.
(c) To have good things for his son.
(d) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
12. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Moody and generous.
(b) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(c) Candid and sensible.
(d) Kind and generous.
13. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He loves them both.
(b) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(c) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(d) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
14. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(b) Pauline will not be invited along.
(c) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(d) He wants to move alone.
15. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Fall, 1930.
(b) Spring, 1927.
(c) Summer, 1926.
(d) Summer, 1929.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
2. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
3. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
4. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)