|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
(a) Gertrude Stein's home.
(b) A nightclub frequented by young people.
(c) The Fitzgerald home.
(d) Zelda's best friend's house.
2. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) In Our Time was to be published.
(c) His second novel received great reviews.
(d) His brother is coming to visit.
3. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
(b) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
(c) He ended the engagement.
(d) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
4. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(b) Go to Pauline's and make love.
(c) Argue again.
(d) Discuss Hadley.
5. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
(a) Ernest's sister.
6. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
(b) He loves them both.
(c) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(d) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
7. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Joins them in the bed.
(b) Goes through their personal writings.
(c) Takes Bumby for a walk.
(d) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
8. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Dorothy Pound.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
9. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) Sorrow for Bumby.
(b) A sadness.
(c) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
(d) Love for Hadley.
10. What is Hadley given for pain?
(d) An injection.
11. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In a motel near the villa.
(b) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(c) In an office room he rented.
(d) In Pauline's motel room.
12. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(a) Talking to himself.
(b) Locking himself in his office.
(c) Going out with the boys.
13. What proofs does Ernest review?
(a) For a book that Ezra Pound is publishing.
(b) For a book of family stories that his sister is publishing.
(d) For a small book of his stories and poems.
14. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(d) To visit her ill mother.
15. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To have good things for his son.
(b) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(c) To earn passage to Paris.
(d) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
2. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
3. What does Hadley figure out?
4. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
5. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)