|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
(b) Gertrude Stein's home.
(c) Gerald's studio.
(d) A separate motel from Hadley.
2. What is Hadley given for pain?
(a) An injection.
3. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
4. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
(a) Move to Austria.
(b) Move further away from their Paris friends.
(c) Move back to the States.
(d) Get drunk.
5. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Discuss Hadley.
(b) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(c) Argue again.
(d) Go to Pauline's and make love.
6. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He loves them both.
(b) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(c) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
(d) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
7. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Paul Mowrer.
(b) She never marries.
(c) Steven Mowrerey.
(d) Her high school sweetheart.
8. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
(a) Rent two rooms in a hotel.
(b) Renew the lease on the villa.
(c) Make plans to move back to the States.
(d) Return to Paris.
9. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is pregnant.
(b) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
(c) Pauline is suicidal.
(d) Pauline is quite ill.
10. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
(a) In London.
(b) In St. Moritz.
(c) In Bern.
(d) In Rapallo.
11. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(b) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(c) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(d) To Southern Italy.
12. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 100 days.
(d) 1 year.
13. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
(a) Kitty Cannell.
(b) Lady Twysden.
(d) Kate Smith.
14. What illness strikes Bumby?
(b) Chicken pox.
(d) Whooping cough.
15. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) No one.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
2. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
3. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
4. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
5. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)