|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Summer, 1926.
(b) Summer, 1929.
(c) Fall, 1930.
(d) Spring, 1927.
2. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) A separate motel from Hadley.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
(c) Gerald's studio.
(d) Gertrude Stein's home.
3. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
(a) They discuss Ernest's next book.
(b) They kiss.
(c) They discuss Ernest's relationship with Hadley.
(d) They argue.
4. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(b) The United States.
5. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) She is insane.
(c) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
6. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) Pauline will not be invited along.
(b) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(c) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(d) He wants to move alone.
7. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
(a) Duff and her fiance.
8. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It doesn't include her.
(b) It was completed so quickly.
(c) It is very short.
(d) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
9. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(b) To Southern Italy.
(c) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(d) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
10. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
(a) Return to Paris.
(b) Make plans to move back to the States.
(c) Renew the lease on the villa.
(d) Rent two rooms in a hotel.
11. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
(a) Move back to the States.
(b) Move further away from their Paris friends.
(c) Move to Austria.
(d) Get drunk.
12. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) She never marries.
(b) Steven Mowrerey.
(c) Paul Mowrer.
(d) Her high school sweetheart.
13. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) A sadness.
(b) Sorrow for Bumby.
(c) Love for Hadley.
(d) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
14. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Leaving Hadley.
(b) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(c) Taking his family back to Toronto.
15. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Dorothy Pound.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ernest demoted?
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
3. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
4. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
5. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)