|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Memorizes it.
(b) Sends it back unread.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
2. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
(a) They discuss Ernest's relationship with Hadley.
(b) They discuss Ernest's next book.
(c) They kiss.
(d) They argue.
3. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Taking his family back to Toronto.
(c) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(d) Leaving Hadley.
4. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
(c) John Hadley Hemingway.
(d) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
5. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(b) At local vineyards.
(c) Around a friend's country estate.
(d) On a seaside road.
6. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) She is long winded.
(b) It is often more insightful than his own.
(c) It interrupts his train of thought.
(d) It is trivial.
7. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
8. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(a) Bumby getting sick.
(b) His career.
(c) His father.
9. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Go to Pauline's and make love.
(b) Discuss Hadley.
(c) Argue again.
(d) Vow not to see each other anymore.
10. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill father.
(b) To interview other possible publishing companies.
(c) To visit his ill mother.
(d) To give a pitch for his book in person.
11. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) Sorrow for Bumby.
(b) A sadness.
(c) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
(d) Love for Hadley.
12. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
(c) Duff and her fiance.
13. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(b) His brother is coming to visit.
(c) In Our Time was to be published.
(d) His second novel received great reviews.
14. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
(b) For arguing with his copy editor.
(c) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(d) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
15. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It is very short.
(b) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(c) It doesn't include her.
(d) It was completed so quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
2. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
3. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
4. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
5. Of what is Zelda jealous?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)