|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
(a) Pauline and Ernest were married in Austria.
(b) Ernest decided not to marry Pauline.
(c) Pauline and Ernest were married in Paris.
(d) Pauline decided not to marry Ernest.
2. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
3. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(b) Discuss Hadley.
(c) Go to Pauline's and make love.
(d) Argue again.
4. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(b) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
(c) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
(d) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
5. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) In Manhatten.
(c) Her sister's house.
(d) The beach.
6. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) No one.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
7. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
(b) Ernest's childhood school chums.
(c) Ernest's friends in Paris.
(d) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
8. What does Hadley finally decide?
(a) Ernest never loved her.
(b) Bumby would be harmed to be raised with Pauline in the household.
(c) She may try once more if Ernest comes to the United States and asks her.
(d) Her marriage is over for good.
9. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(a) His father.
(b) His career.
(c) Bumby getting sick.
10. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His brother is coming to visit.
(b) His second novel received great reviews.
(c) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(d) In Our Time was to be published.
11. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
(c) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
(d) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
12. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(b) Memorizes it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Sends it back unread.
13. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At a book signing.
(b) At the zoo.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) At the park.
14. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
(b) Take up the piano again.
(c) Study painting.
(d) Write music.
15. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It doesn't include her.
(b) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(c) It is very short.
(d) It was completed so quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
2. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
3. Why does Ernest go to New York?
4. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
5. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)