|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
(b) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
(c) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
2. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(b) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(c) To Southern Italy.
(d) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
3. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It was completed so quickly.
(b) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(c) It is very short.
(d) It doesn't include her.
4. Whom does Ernest see more of back in Paris?
(b) Duff and her fiance.
5. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(b) For arguing with his copy editor.
(c) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(d) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
6. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To receive medical treatment.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
7. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
8. What is Hadley given for pain?
(b) An injection.
9. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Dorothy Pound.
(b) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Ezra Pound.
10. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Goes through their personal writings.
(b) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
(c) Takes Bumby for a walk.
(d) Joins them in the bed.
11. Of what is Zelda jealous?
(a) The attention Scott and Ernest pay Sarah.
(c) Hadley having a baby.
12. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(a) Talking to himself.
(c) Locking himself in his office.
(d) Going out with the boys.
13. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) Ernest's friends in Paris.
(b) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
(c) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
(d) Ernest's childhood school chums.
14. What illness strikes Bumby?
(a) Whooping cough.
(b) Chicken pox.
15. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
(b) Ernest's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
2. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
3. Whom does Hadley marry?
4. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
5. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)