|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
(a) Gertrude Stein's home.
(b) Zelda's best friend's house.
(c) The Fitzgerald home.
(d) A nightclub frequented by young people.
2. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(a) Bumby getting sick.
(b) His career.
(c) His father.
3. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
(a) They argue.
(b) They kiss.
(c) They discuss Ernest's next book.
(d) They discuss Ernest's relationship with Hadley.
4. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
5. What illness strikes Bumby?
(a) Chicken pox.
(c) Whooping cough.
6. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It is very short.
(b) It doesn't include her.
(c) It was completed so quickly.
(d) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
7. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
(b) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
(c) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(d) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
8. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(d) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
9. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
(a) She almost allows herself to drown.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) She talks to her sister.
(d) She receives a letter from her sister.
10. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) They look for an apartment in the city.
(b) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(c) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(d) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
11. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Paul Mowrer.
(b) She never marries.
(c) Her high school sweetheart.
(d) Steven Mowrerey.
12. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For arguing with his copy editor.
(b) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(c) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(d) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
13. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
14. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
(a) Kate Smith.
(b) Kitty Cannell.
(c) Lady Twysden.
15. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 100 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest go to New York?
2. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
3. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
4. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
5. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)