|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(a) His father.
(b) Bumby getting sick.
(d) His career.
2. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
(d) No one.
3. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At the park.
(b) At the zoo.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) At a book signing.
4. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) For her brother.
(b) To break into the fashion industry.
(c) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(d) For Vogue.
5. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In Pauline's motel room.
(b) In a motel near the villa.
(c) In an office room he rented.
(d) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
6. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(b) He loves them both.
(c) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(d) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
7. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) It is often more insightful than his own.
(b) She is long winded.
(c) It interrupts his train of thought.
(d) It is trivial.
8. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
(c) John Hadley Hemingway.
(d) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
9. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Move further away from their Paris friends.
(c) Move back to the States.
(d) Move to Austria.
10. What does Hadley finally decide?
(a) She may try once more if Ernest comes to the United States and asks her.
(b) Her marriage is over for good.
(c) Bumby would be harmed to be raised with Pauline in the household.
(d) Ernest never loved her.
11. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
12. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
(a) She forgives him if he'll give up Pauline.
(b) She wants to know how to owrk things out.
(c) He does not want him there.
(d) She wants him to seek counseling.
13. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) At local vineyards.
(b) Around a friend's country estate.
(c) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(d) On a seaside road.
14. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(c) It seems to be on the skids.
(d) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
15. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(b) Talking to himself.
(c) Locking himself in his office.
(d) Going out with the boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
2. What happens when Ernest walks Pauline home one day?
3. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
4. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)