|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(c) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
2. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Write music.
(b) Study painting.
(c) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
(d) Take up the piano again.
3. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Summer, 1929.
(b) Spring, 1927.
(c) Fall, 1930.
(d) Summer, 1926.
4. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Leaving Hadley.
(b) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(c) Taking his family back to Toronto.
5. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) In Our Time was to be published.
(b) His second novel received great reviews.
(c) His brother is coming to visit.
(d) His father looks to be recovering fully.
6. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
(b) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
(c) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(d) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
7. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is delightful.
(b) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(c) She is insane.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
8. What is Hadley given for pain?
(a) An injection.
9. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(b) To earn passage to Paris.
(c) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(d) To have good things for his son.
10. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
(b) If she will give him another chance.
(c) If she is leaving him.
(d) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
11. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is quite ill.
(b) Pauline is pregnant.
(c) Pauline is suicidal.
(d) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
12. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(b) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
(c) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
(d) He ended the engagement.
13. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
(c) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
(d) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
14. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(b) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(c) To Southern Italy.
(d) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
15. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
(a) In London.
(b) In Bern.
(c) In St. Moritz.
(d) In Rapallo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
2. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
3. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
4. What illness strikes Bumby?
5. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)