|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Dorothy Pound.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
2. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
(b) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
(c) Ernest's childhood school chums.
(d) Ernest's friends in Paris.
3. What illness strikes Bumby?
(b) Whooping cough.
(c) Chicken pox.
4. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is pregnant.
(b) Pauline is suicidal.
(c) Pauline is quite ill.
(d) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
5. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
(a) Move back to the States.
(b) Move further away from their Paris friends.
(c) Move to Austria.
(d) Get drunk.
6. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
(a) Pauline and Ernest were married in Austria.
(b) Pauline decided not to marry Ernest.
(c) Ernest decided not to marry Pauline.
(d) Pauline and Ernest were married in Paris.
7. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill mother.
(b) To give a pitch for his book in person.
(c) To visit his ill father.
(d) To interview other possible publishing companies.
8. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Moody and generous.
(b) Candid and sensible.
(c) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(d) Kind and generous.
9. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Write music.
(b) Take up the piano again.
(c) Study painting.
(d) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
10. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
(a) Enable Hadley to study painting with a master.
(b) Earn them enough to move to a larger place.
(c) Earn enough money for a live-in nanny.
(d) Destroy Ernest's relationship with Sherwood Anderson.
11. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Dorothy Pound.
(d) Ezra Pound.
12. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Paul Mowrer.
(b) Her high school sweetheart.
(c) Steven Mowrerey.
(d) She never marries.
13. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
(a) She almost allows herself to drown.
(b) She talks to her sister.
(c) She receives a letter from her sister.
(d) She becomes very ill.
14. Where is Hadley when she goes into labor?
(a) Her sister's house.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) In Manhatten.
(d) The beach.
15. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
(a) Months long.
(b) Mundane matters.
(d) Quick, one or two hour interviews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
2. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
3. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
4. Of what is Zelda jealous?
5. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)