|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) Pauline will not be invited along.
(b) He wants to move alone.
(c) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(d) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
2. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
(a) A nightclub frequented by young people.
(b) Gertrude Stein's home.
(c) Zelda's best friend's house.
(d) The Fitzgerald home.
3. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(a) The United States.
4. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
(a) Make plans to move back to the States.
(b) Return to Paris.
(c) Renew the lease on the villa.
(d) Rent two rooms in a hotel.
5. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 100 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 month.
6. What does Pauline encourage Hadley to do?
(a) Study painting.
(b) Write music.
(c) Take up the piano again.
(d) Get a nanny for Bumby so she's have more time.
7. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
(b) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(c) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(d) They look for an apartment in the city.
8. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) To Southern Italy.
(b) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(c) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(d) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
9. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
(b) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
(c) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
10. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she is leaving him.
(b) If she will give him another chance.
(c) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(d) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
11. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Fall, 1930.
(b) Summer, 1926.
(c) Spring, 1927.
(d) Summer, 1929.
12. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
13. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is insane.
(b) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(c) She is more interesting than her husband.
(d) She is delightful.
14. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Paul Mowrer.
(b) Her high school sweetheart.
(c) Steven Mowrerey.
(d) She never marries.
15. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(b) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
2. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
3. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
4. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)