|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Leaving Hadley.
(c) Taking his family back to Toronto.
(d) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
2. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It seems to be on the skids.
(b) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(d) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
3. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
4. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
(c) No one.
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(c) The United States.
6. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Takes Bumby for a walk.
(b) Goes through their personal writings.
(c) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
(d) Joins them in the bed.
7. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
(b) If she is leaving him.
(c) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(d) If she will give him another chance.
8. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) On a seaside road.
(b) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(c) Around a friend's country estate.
(d) At local vineyards.
9. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It was completed so quickly.
(b) It is very short.
(c) It doesn't include her.
(d) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
10. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) No one.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
11. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
12. Of what is Zelda jealous?
(c) The attention Scott and Ernest pay Sarah.
(d) Hadley having a baby.
13. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
(a) Rent two rooms in a hotel.
(b) Make plans to move back to the States.
(c) Renew the lease on the villa.
(d) Return to Paris.
14. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) Gertrude Stein's home.
(b) Gerald's studio.
(c) A separate motel from Hadley.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
15. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He lies.
(b) He tells her everything.
(c) He refuses to answer her.
(d) He slaps her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
2. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
3. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
4. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
5. Where does Pauline suggest the Hemingways move with her?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)