|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) No one.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
2. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(b) In Pauline's motel room.
(c) In a motel near the villa.
(d) In an office room he rented.
3. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
(a) Quick, one or two hour interviews.
(b) Mundane matters.
(d) Months long.
4. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
(a) They embark upon a coast to coast tour of the States.
(b) They look for an apartment in the city.
(c) They immediately take a train for St. Louis.
(d) Hadley takes Bumby to visit her sister.
5. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(b) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
(c) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(d) It seems to be on the skids.
6. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(b) Dorothy Pound.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Ezra Pound.
7. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) A separate motel from Hadley.
(b) Gertrude Stein's home.
(c) Gerald's studio.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
8. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 100 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 6 months.
9. Of what is Zelda jealous?
(c) The attention Scott and Ernest pay Sarah.
(d) Hadley having a baby.
10. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To earn passage to Paris.
(b) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(c) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(d) To have good things for his son.
11. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
(a) In St. Moritz.
(b) In London.
(c) In Rapallo.
(d) In Bern.
12. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) He wants to move alone.
(b) Pauline will not be invited along.
(c) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(d) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
13. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(a) The United States.
14. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
(a) Rent two rooms in a hotel.
(b) Renew the lease on the villa.
(c) Return to Paris.
(d) Make plans to move back to the States.
15. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To interview other possible publishing companies.
(b) To give a pitch for his book in person.
(c) To visit his ill father.
(d) To visit his ill mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley figure out?
2. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
3. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
4. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
5. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)