|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernest behave on their vacation?
(a) Attentive and romantic.
(d) He kept to himself.
2. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(a) Talking to himself.
(b) Going out with the boys.
(d) Locking himself in his office.
3. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
(b) To earn passage to Paris.
(c) To have good things for his son.
(d) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
4. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(b) His father.
(c) His career.
(d) Bumby getting sick.
5. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Move back to the States.
(c) Move further away from their Paris friends.
(d) Move to Austria.
6. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) On a seaside road.
(b) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(c) Around a friend's country estate.
(d) At local vineyards.
7. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He refuses to answer her.
(b) He lies.
(c) He tells her everything.
(d) He slaps her.
8. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) He ended the engagement.
(b) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
(c) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(d) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
9. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
(a) He plans to divorce Hadley to marry Pauline.
(b) He wants a relationship with both of them.
(c) He is thinking about committing suicide.
(d) He is in favor of moving to Arkansas.
10. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It is very short.
(b) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(c) It was completed so quickly.
(d) It doesn't include her.
11. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At a book signing.
(b) At the zoo.
(c) At the park.
(d) At a cafe.
12. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 6 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 100 days.
(d) 1 month.
13. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Sends it back unread.
(b) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Memorizes it.
14. Who did the characters in Ernest's latest novel represent?
(a) No one because Ernest went to great pains not to represent any of his family or friends.
(b) Ernest's friends in Paris.
(c) Characters from some of his favorite novels.
(d) Ernest's childhood school chums.
15. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To visit her ill mother.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To receive medical treatment.
(d) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
2. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
3. What is Hadley given for pain?
4. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
5. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)