|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(a) The United States.
2. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(a) Locking himself in his office.
(c) Talking to himself.
(d) Going out with the boys.
3. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is insane.
(b) She is delightful.
(c) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
4. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Sends it back unread.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Memorizes it.
(d) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
5. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
(b) It is very short.
(c) It was completed so quickly.
(d) It doesn't include her.
6. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
(c) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
7. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
(a) If she will come to Madrid to meet him.
(b) If she will give him another chance.
(c) If she wants to start fresh somewhere else.
(d) If she is leaving him.
8. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) No one.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
9. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) Ernest asks her to do so.
(b) To receive medical treatment.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
10. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(c) It seems to be on the skids.
(d) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
11. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He lies.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He refuses to answer her.
(d) He tells her everything.
12. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
(a) It interrupts his train of thought.
(b) She is long winded.
(c) It is trivial.
(d) It is often more insightful than his own.
13. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
(a) He does not want him there.
(b) She wants to know how to owrk things out.
(c) She wants him to seek counseling.
(d) She forgives him if he'll give up Pauline.
14. Why does Ernest go to New York?
(a) To visit his ill father.
(b) To interview other possible publishing companies.
(c) To visit his ill mother.
(d) To give a pitch for his book in person.
15. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
(a) Ernest decided not to marry Pauline.
(b) Pauline and Ernest were married in Austria.
(c) Pauline and Ernest were married in Paris.
(d) Pauline decided not to marry Ernest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ernest and Hadley do when the lease on the villa ends?
2. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
3. To whom does it seem Ernest is paying much attention at a gathering?
4. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
5. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)