|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is suicidal.
(b) Pauline is quite ill.
(c) Pauline is pregnant.
(d) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(a) The United States.
3. What illness strikes Bumby?
(b) Whooping cough.
(c) Chicken pox.
4. What is Ernest's reaction to Hadley's confronting him?
(a) He lies.
(b) He refuses to answer her.
(c) He tells her everything.
(d) He slaps her.
5. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Summer, 1926.
(b) Summer, 1929.
(c) Spring, 1927.
(d) Fall, 1930.
6. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) Ernest asks her to do so.
(b) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To receive medical treatment.
7. What is Ernest doing more frequently?
(b) Locking himself in his office.
(c) Talking to himself.
(d) Going out with the boys.
8. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In Pauline's motel room.
(b) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(c) In an office room he rented.
(d) In a motel near the villa.
9. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
(a) To earn passage to Paris.
(b) To prove to Hadley he can support her.
(c) To have good things for his son.
(d) So Hadley does not have to suffer in the cold Canada winters.
10. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) For her brother.
(b) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(c) For Vogue.
(d) To break into the fashion industry.
11. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It doesn't include her.
(b) It is very short.
(c) It was completed so quickly.
(d) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
12. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(b) The United States.
13. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
(a) Gertrude Stein's home.
(b) A nightclub frequented by young people.
(c) Zelda's best friend's house.
(d) The Fitzgerald home.
14. Why is Ernest demoted?
(a) For refusing a long out-of-town assignment.
(b) For arguing with his copy editor.
(c) For not filing his report before going to the hospital.
(d) For writing a biased slant on a situation.
15. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
(a) She was the only woman he would consider remarrying.
(b) She loved him selfishly.
(c) He and she loved each other too much.
(d) She should have given him another chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
2. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
3. Whom does Ernest suggest Hadley invite on their Christmas vacation?
4. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
5. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)