|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
2. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 month.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 100 days.
3. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is more interesting than her husband.
(b) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(c) She is insane.
(d) She is delightful.
4. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
(b) A sadness.
(c) Sorrow for Bumby.
(d) Love for Hadley.
5. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(a) The United States.
6. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(a) The United States.
7. What surprises Hadley about Ernest's new book?
(a) It was completed so quickly.
(b) It is very short.
(c) It doesn't include her.
(d) It is more poignant than his usual writing.
8. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
(a) Goes through their personal writings.
(b) Comes in and wakes them to confront them.
(c) Joins them in the bed.
(d) Takes Bumby for a walk.
9. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
(c) Ernest's sister.
10. What does Ernest tell Hadley when he is writing her memoirs?
(a) He and she loved each other too much.
(b) She should have given him another chance.
(c) She was the only woman he would consider remarrying.
(d) She loved him selfishly.
11. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) To break into the fashion industry.
(b) For her brother.
(c) For Vogue.
(d) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
12. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 33 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 10 years.
13. What does Hadley hear about Ernest and Pauline as she is traveling?
(a) Ernest decided not to marry Pauline.
(b) Pauline decided not to marry Ernest.
(c) Pauline and Ernest were married in Paris.
(d) Pauline and Ernest were married in Austria.
14. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In an office room he rented.
(b) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(c) In a motel near the villa.
(d) In Pauline's motel room.
15. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
(a) It is erratic but there is no reason to lose hope.
(b) It seems to be on the skids.
(c) The publishing of his book is a hugh turning point for Ernest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
2. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
3. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
4. Where do Dorothy and Ezra live most of the year?
5. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)