|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ernest go when they return to Paris?
(a) Gerald's studio.
(b) A separate motel from Hadley.
(c) Gertrude Stein's home.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald's home.
2. What is Hadley given for pain?
(c) An injection.
3. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His brother is coming to visit.
(b) In Our Time was to be published.
(c) His father looks to be recovering fully.
(d) His second novel received great reviews.
4. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Dorothy Pound.
(c) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(d) Alice B. Toklas.
5. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
(b) Mundane matters.
(c) Quick, one or two hour interviews.
(d) Months long.
6. What illness strikes Bumby?
(a) Whooping cough.
(c) Chicken pox.
7. How many children does Ernest have with Pauline?
8. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In a motel near the villa.
(b) In Pauline's motel room.
(c) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(d) In an office room he rented.
9. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) To break into the fashion industry.
(b) For her brother.
(c) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(d) For Vogue.
10. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) To visit her ill mother.
(b) Ernest asks her to do so.
(c) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(d) To receive medical treatment.
11. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
(a) A sadness.
(b) Love for Hadley.
(c) Sorrow for Bumby.
(d) A desire to reconcile with Hadley.
12. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is suicidal.
(b) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
(c) Pauline is quite ill.
(d) Pauline is pregnant.
13. Whom of the women Hadley is meeting does she start liking?
14. What does Ernest think of Zelda?
(a) She is insane.
(b) She is delightful.
(c) He has no particular thoughts about her.
(d) She is more interesting than her husband.
15. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
(a) Her family threatened to cut off her inheritance because they did not like him.
(b) He ended the engagement.
(c) She plans to marry him, but delayed the marriage for another year.
(d) She realized she did not love him enought for marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
2. What does Ernest write and ask Hadley?
3. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
4. In what state are Hadley and Bumby on the beach?
5. What does Hadley and Bumby do when they arrive in New York?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)