|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(a) The United States.
2. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Taking his family back to Toronto.
(c) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(d) Leaving Hadley.
3. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) Moody and generous.
(b) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(c) Kind and generous.
(d) Candid and sensible.
4. Why does Pauline come to Paris?
(a) To accompany and chaperone her younger sister.
(b) For her brother.
(c) For Vogue.
(d) To break into the fashion industry.
5. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 100 days.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 6 months.
6. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
(a) In Pauline's motel room.
(b) In a motel near the villa.
(c) Hadley does not think Ernest is meeting with Pauline.
(d) In an office room he rented.
7. How many children does Ernest have with Pauline?
8. Who becomes the Hemingway's son's godmother?
(a) Zelda Fitzgerald.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Dorothy Pound.
(d) Ezra Pound.
9. What makes Hadley realize she could not continue to live as she has been living?
(a) She almost allows herself to drown.
(b) She receives a letter from her sister.
(c) She talks to her sister.
(d) She becomes very ill.
10. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
(b) The United States.
11. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) On a seaside road.
(b) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(c) At local vineyards.
(d) Around a friend's country estate.
12. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) No one.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
13. What does Hadley finally decide?
(a) Bumby would be harmed to be raised with Pauline in the household.
(b) Her marriage is over for good.
(c) Ernest never loved her.
(d) She may try once more if Ernest comes to the United States and asks her.
14. What does Hadley do with Ernest's last letter?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Memorizes it.
(c) Sends it back unread.
(d) Makes a boat of it and sails it off into the ocean.
15. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
(a) She wants him to seek counseling.
(b) She wants to know how to owrk things out.
(c) She forgives him if he'll give up Pauline.
(d) He does not want him there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Zelda jealous?
2. Where do the Hemingways go for a nightcap?
3. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
4. How long did Hadlley's marriage last?
5. Why did Pauline not marry the man to whom she was engaged?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)