|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest tell Hadley about Pauline after Pauline returns to the States?
(a) Pauline is pregnant.
(b) Pauline is suicidal.
(c) Pauline was falling apart over being separated from Ernest.
(d) Pauline is quite ill.
2. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
(a) Summer, 1926.
(b) Fall, 1930.
(c) Spring, 1927.
(d) Summer, 1929.
3. Who came over to the table one night at a restaurant?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) No one.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
4. What is the setting of Ernest's new book?
5. Whom does Hadley marry?
(a) Paul Mowrer.
(b) She never marries.
(c) Steven Mowrerey.
(d) Her high school sweetheart.
6. What does Hadley figure out?
(a) The fight between Ernest and Kitty.
(b) The relationship between Ernest and Jenny.
(c) The relationship between Ernest and Pauline.
(d) The relationship between Ernest and Duff.
7. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At the zoo.
(b) At the park.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) At a book signing.
8. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
(b) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(c) He loves them both.
(d) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
9. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(a) Taking his family back to Toronto.
(b) Leaving Hadley.
(c) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
10. What types of assignments is Ernest often given?
(a) Mundane matters.
(b) Months long.
(c) Quick, one or two hour interviews.
11. What are two adjectives describing Pauline?
(a) A spendthrift and temperamental.
(b) Candid and sensible.
(c) Kind and generous.
(d) Moody and generous.
12. Who called Hadley to tell her of Ernest's death?
(c) Ernest's sister.
13. What news does Ernest receive while on vacation that elates him?
(a) His second novel received great reviews.
(b) In Our Time was to be published.
(c) His brother is coming to visit.
(d) His father looks to be recovering fully.
14. How many children does Ernest have with Pauline?
15. Where do Ernest and Hadley move?
(c) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
2. Of what is Zelda jealous?
3. What does Hadley tell Ernest when he returns from walking?
4. What did Hadley think the publication of The Torrents of Spring would do?
5. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)