|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pauline say about Ernest that upsets Hadley?
(a) He wants a relationship with both of them.
(b) He is in favor of moving to Arkansas.
(c) He plans to divorce Hadley to marry Pauline.
(d) He is thinking about committing suicide.
2. How does Ernest compare Pauline to Kitty?
(a) Pauline is a brasher version of Kitty.
(b) Pauline is a kinder version of Kitty.
(c) Pauline is more temperamental than Kitty.
3. What does Ernest say when Hadley asks about a possible move?
(a) To try it for awhile to see if it works out.
(b) He has no intention of leaving their home in Paris.
(c) Pauline will not be invited along.
(d) He wants to move alone.
4. About what does Ernest worry while on vacation?
(b) His father.
(c) Bumby getting sick.
(d) His career.
5. Where do Hadley and Pauline often bicycle?
(a) At local vineyards.
(b) They do not bicycle because Pauline hates biking.
(c) Around a friend's country estate.
(d) On a seaside road.
6. What do Ernest and Pauline do when they meet by chance?
(a) Discuss Hadley.
(b) Argue again.
(c) Vow not to see each other anymore.
(d) Go to Pauline's and make love.
7. Where do Ernest, Hadley and Bumby go on vacation?
(a) To St. Louis to see Ernest's dying father.
(b) A ski trip to the Austrian Alps.
(c) Back to the Midwest in the United States.
(d) To Southern Italy.
8. Where does Ernest meet Pauline by chance one day?
(a) At the park.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) At the zoo.
(d) At a book signing.
9. Hadley makes a deal with Ernest that she will give him a divorce if he still wants Pauline after sending her away for ______________.
(a) 100 days.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 1 year.
10. Why does Pauline go back to the States?
(a) Ernest asks her to do so.
(b) To put in a plug for Ernest's new book.
(c) To visit her ill mother.
(d) To receive medical treatment.
11. What is the Hemingways' son's name?
(a) John Hadley Hemingway.
(b) Joseph Hadley Hemingway.
(c) Richard Hadley Hemingway.
(d) Jack Ernest Hemingway.
12. With whom does Hadley spend a lot of time in Paris?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Dorothy Pound.
(c) Kitty, Pauline, and Jinny.
(d) Alice B. Toklas.
13. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
(b) Making sure Pauline stayed away from him.
(c) Leaving Hadley.
(d) Taking his family back to Toronto.
14. How does Ernest feel about Pauline and Hadley?
(a) He loves them both.
(b) He thinks both women are trying to manipulate him.
(c) He loves Hadley, but he's attracted to Pauline.
(d) He thinks he deserves neither woman.
15. What proofs does Ernest review?
(a) For a book of family stories that his sister is publishing.
(c) For a book that Ezra Pound is publishing.
(d) For a small book of his stories and poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernest decide to work extra hard?
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley decide to go for Christmas?
3. What does the author say remained in Ernest?
4. Of what is Zelda jealous?
5. Where does Hadley suspect Ernest is meeting Pauline?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)