|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(b) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(c) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(d) He learns more about symbolism.
2. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
(a) She has no particular hopes.
(b) Interview one of its famous attendees.
(c) Dance with Hemingway again.
(d) Meet someone who wants to be a traveling companion.
3. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
(b) Her glasses.
(c) Some money.
(d) Her purse.
4. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(b) Ernest's parents.
(c) Ernest's brother.
(d) Hadley's sister.
5. How old is Hadley at the opening?
6. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To revisit some places he had been.
(b) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
(c) To witness some bullfighting.
(d) To check out the unrest there.
7. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Once in several months.
(b) About once a month.
(c) Every week or two.
(d) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
8. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a loving nurturer.
(b) As a brilliant but good woman.
(c) As a insane woman.
(d) As a bitch.
9. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
(a) The first time he's been on the front lines of a conflict.
(b) The first time he's worked with a female war correspondent.
(c) The first time he has not spoken the language of the combatants.
(d) The first time he's been near war since he was wounded.
10. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(a) Throws things.
(c) Writes for hours.
11. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) T. S. Eliot.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Alice B. Toklas.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
12. With what is Ernest completely obsessed?
(a) The writing groups and their discussions.
(b) The museums.
(c) His writing.
13. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Forget writing.
(c) Taking on a new job.
(d) Returning to the States.
14. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) He admires her so much.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He speaks his feelings about her.
15. What sort of accusations are circulated about a small newspaper where Ernest works?
(a) The paper was involved in unethical activities.
(b) The paper was run by a Communist.
(c) The paper was anti-American.
(d) The paper lacked good journalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hadley in mourning?
2. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
3. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
4. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
5. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)