Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) Carnegie Steel.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Firestone Tires.
2. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her brother.
(c) A family friend.
(d) No one.
3. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(b) If he is making the best decision.
(c) If she would come along as his mistress.
(d) If he should go to Paris instead.
4. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(c) Sorry that they fought.
(d) Hurt and angry.
5. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her bank book.
(b) Her checkbook.
(c) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(d) Her diaphragm.
6. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Soldier on the front lines.
(b) Correspondent for the Times.
(c) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(d) Ambulance driver.
7. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
8. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
(b) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
(c) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
(d) Escort Hadley to the States.
9. Where is there news of increased conflicts?
10. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a loving nurturer.
(b) As a bitch.
(c) As a insane woman.
(d) As a brilliant but good woman.
11. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(a) Not having her own work.
(d) Her marriage.
12. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To witness some bullfighting.
(b) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
(c) To check out the unrest there.
(d) To revisit some places he had been.
13. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) Her father's expression.
(c) Her brother when he was young.
(d) A lost puppy.
14. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is dating another woman.
(b) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(c) He is still in love with another woman.
(d) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
15. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
(a) An epidemic.
(b) World's Fair.
(c) A growth spurt.
(d) A huge fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
2. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
3. Where is Hadley Richardson?
4. Who is Harrison Williams?
5. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)