|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(b) Correspondent for the Times.
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Soldier on the front lines.
2. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(b) He learns more about symbolism.
(c) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(d) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
3. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She would be a joy to her husband.
(b) She was the same as a prostitute.
(c) She would be pregnant all the time.
(d) She would have her heart broken.
4. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(b) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(c) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(d) She spurned his advances.
5. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) T. S. Eliot.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Alice B. Toklas.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
6. What does Ernest decide to do?
(a) Ask his father for money.
(b) Take time off to re-write his work.
(c) Divorce Hadley if she didn't stop complaining.
(d) Not return to the States until he was a successfully published author.
7. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(a) Throws things.
(c) Writes for hours.
8. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She is fearful for his safety.
(b) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(c) She asks him not to go.
(d) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
9. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
10. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To check out the unrest there.
(b) To revisit some places he had been.
(c) To witness some bullfighting.
(d) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
11. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Includes a lock of her hair.
(b) Kisses the envelope.
(c) Invites him to St. Louis.
(d) Includes a poems he wrote.
12. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(b) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
(c) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(d) They are served bizarre finger food.
13. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Nothing is significant about the place.
(b) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
14. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Paris Review.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Toronto Star.
15. Where does Ernest's job send him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
2. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
3. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
4. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
5. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)