|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use more complex writing.
(b) Use less obscure vocabulary.
(c) Use more detailed scenes.
(d) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
2. What is becoming less frequent?
(a) Ernest's letters to Hadley.
(b) Fonnie's objections.
(c) Ernest's bouts of maleria.
(d) Hadley's brother's bouts of maleria.
3. Why does Hadley not do what Ernest wants?
(a) She has another invitation.
(b) She is very ill.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She has other plans.
4. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(c) Sea captain.
5. Why does Ernest insist upon going back to Paris?
(a) To file a complaint with the French rail administration.
(b) To hire a private investigator.
(c) To get some of the copies of his works out of a safety deposit box.
(d) To look in the apartment to see if any of his work is still there.
6. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(b) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
(c) She asks him not to go.
(d) She is fearful for his safety.
7. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
(a) The first time he's been on the front lines of a conflict.
(b) The first time he has not spoken the language of the combatants.
(c) The first time he's worked with a female war correspondent.
(d) The first time he's been near war since he was wounded.
8. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
(a) To share gossip.
(b) To ask them to teach Hemingway the ropes.
(c) To introduce Hemingway.
(d) To tell them that Hemingway probably has no talent.
9. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
(b) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(c) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(d) They are served bizarre finger food.
10. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He learns more about symbolism.
(b) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(c) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(d) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
11. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her diaphragm.
(b) Her bank book.
(c) Her checkbook.
(d) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
12. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The Toronto Star.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Paris Review.
13. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) No one.
(b) Her brother.
(c) A family friend.
(d) Her cousin.
14. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Once in several months.
(b) Every week or two.
(c) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(d) About once a month.
15. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
(b) A successful steel mill.
(c) A public library system.
(d) A farm conglomerate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
2. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
3. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
4. Why does Ernest rent an office?
5. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)