|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(b) She spurned his advances.
(c) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(d) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
2. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(b) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
(c) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(d) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
3. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Soldier on the front lines.
(b) Ambulance driver.
(c) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
4. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(b) Ernest's parents.
(c) Ernest's brother.
(d) Hadley's sister.
5. How is Hadley when Ernest meets her the next morning?
6. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(b) They both hate the area.
(c) They both love the area.
(d) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
7. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) Every week or two.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Once in several months.
8. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They are served bizarre finger food.
(b) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(c) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
9. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her mother has just died.
(b) Her father has just died.
(c) She just miscarried.
(d) Her brother has just died.
10. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
(a) It can easily be replaced.
(b) Nothing, because she is too upset to talk about it.
(c) It was not important.
(d) It was priceless.
11. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
(a) A British soldier.
(b) A Turkish ayatollah.
(c) A French war correspondent.
(d) A British war correspondent.
12. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Return to the States.
(b) Stay in Paris.
(c) Go with him on assignment.
13. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(b) It was open, and both had other lovers.
(c) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(d) Their relationship is all consuming.
14. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
(b) She does not like to be alone.
(c) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(d) She believes in monogamy.
15. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use more complex writing.
(b) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
(c) Use less obscure vocabulary.
(d) Use more detailed scenes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
2. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
3. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
4. Who is Agnes?
5. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)