|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is still in love with another woman.
(b) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(c) He is dating another woman.
(d) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
2. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
(a) The first time he's worked with a female war correspondent.
(b) The first time he has not spoken the language of the combatants.
(c) The first time he's been on the front lines of a conflict.
(d) The first time he's been near war since he was wounded.
3. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She believes in monogamy.
(b) She does not like to be alone.
(c) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(d) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
4. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
(a) His mother.
(b) His former girlfriend.
5. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
(a) It is the day Ernest receives an acceptance letter for a novel.
(b) It is the day Ernest gets married.
(c) It is Hadley's birthday.
(d) It is the day Ernest and Kate have a falling out.
6. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
(b) Send off his letters of introduction.
(c) Write a long book and not short stories.
(d) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
7. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(b) He is recovering from a head injury.
(c) He has dysentery.
(d) He has malaria.
8. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(b) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) Nothing is significant about the place.
9. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She would have her heart broken.
(b) She would be pregnant all the time.
(c) She was the same as a prostitute.
(d) She would be a joy to her husband.
10. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A successful steel mill.
(b) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
(c) A public library system.
(d) A farm conglomerate.
11. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(c) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
12. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
(a) A British soldier.
(b) A Turkish ayatollah.
(c) A French war correspondent.
(d) A British war correspondent.
13. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(b) She asks him not to go.
(c) She is fearful for his safety.
(d) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
14. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
(b) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(c) They are served bizarre finger food.
(d) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
15. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
(a) Ernest Hemingway is there.
(b) There is a note saying everyone had already left for the day.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald is there.
(d) The kitchen is a wreck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
2. For what organization is Ernest working?
3. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
4. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
5. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)