|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Kisses the envelope.
(b) Includes a poems he wrote.
(c) Includes a lock of her hair.
(d) Invites him to St. Louis.
2. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she would come along as his mistress.
(b) If he is making the best decision.
(c) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(d) If he should go to Paris instead.
3. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) The Franco-Turkish war.
(b) The Greco-Turkish war.
(d) Huge displacements of civilians.
4. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) Every week or two.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Once in several months.
5. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She does not like to be alone.
(b) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(c) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
(d) She believes in monogamy.
6. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
(b) Use more detailed scenes.
(c) Use more complex writing.
(d) Use less obscure vocabulary.
7. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(b) Ernest's parents.
(c) Hadley's sister.
(d) Ernest's brother.
8. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He has no feelings one way or the other.
(c) He is totally in love with it.
(d) He hates it.
9. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(c) Hates it.
10. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(a) Her possible pregnancy.
(b) Her depression.
(c) Her desire to move to New York.
11. Who is Agnes?
(a) A nurse in England.
(b) Hadley's cousin.
(c) A nurse in Italy.
(d) Ernest's cousin.
12. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(a) Emotionally dependent.
(b) Strong and confident.
13. How is Hadley when Ernest meets her the next morning?
14. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(a) Sorry that they fought.
(c) Hurt and angry.
15. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A writer.
(b) An editor.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A pilot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ernest's job send him?
2. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
3. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
4. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
5. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)