|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She believes in monogamy.
(b) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(c) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
(d) She does not like to be alone.
2. Why does Hadley not do what Ernest wants?
(a) She has other plans.
(b) She is angry with him.
(c) She is very ill.
(d) She has another invitation.
3. With what is Ernest completely obsessed?
(a) The museums.
(b) His writing.
(c) The writing groups and their discussions.
4. What is becoming less frequent?
(a) Fonnie's objections.
(b) Ernest's letters to Hadley.
(c) Ernest's bouts of maleria.
(d) Hadley's brother's bouts of maleria.
5. How old is Hadley at the opening?
6. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Almost drowned.
(b) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(c) Exposed her breast to him.
(d) Almost drowned Ernest.
7. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Includes a lock of her hair.
(b) Kisses the envelope.
(c) Includes a poems he wrote.
(d) Invites him to St. Louis.
8. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
9. Where does Ernest say he might move?
(b) New York.
10. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her brother.
(c) A family friend.
(d) No one.
11. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) T. S. Eliot.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Alice B. Toklas.
(d) Dorothy Pound.
12. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(a) Ernest's parents.
(b) Hadley's sister.
(c) Ernest's brother.
13. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
(a) It is so far away from where they are living.
(b) He might get lonely and cheat on her.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) His emotional state is too fragile for the work.
14. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has malaria.
(b) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(c) He is recovering from a head injury.
(d) He has dysentery.
15. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hemingway?
2. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
3. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
4. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
5. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)