|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(a) Strong and confident.
(d) Emotionally dependent.
2. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(c) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(d) She is divorcing her husband.
3. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
4. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A private investigator.
(b) A writer.
(c) A pilot.
(d) An editor.
5. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she would come along as his mistress.
(b) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(c) If he is making the best decision.
(d) If he should go to Paris instead.
6. What does Ernest decide to do?
(a) Ask his father for money.
(b) Divorce Hadley if she didn't stop complaining.
(c) Take time off to re-write his work.
(d) Not return to the States until he was a successfully published author.
7. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(c) Sea captain.
8. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
(b) She asks him not to go.
(c) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(d) She is fearful for his safety.
9. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Zora Neal Hurston.
10. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(b) He admires her so much.
(c) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(d) He speaks his feelings about her.
11. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
12. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
13. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(b) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
(c) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
14. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(a) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(b) Their relationship is all consuming.
(c) It was open, and both had other lovers.
15. Who is Agnes?
(a) Hadley's cousin.
(b) A nurse in Italy.
(c) Ernest's cousin.
(d) A nurse in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ernest's job send him?
2. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
3. With what is Ernest completely obsessed?
4. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
5. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)