|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(c) Hates it.
2. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He admires her so much.
(b) He speaks his feelings about her.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
3. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He has no feelings one way or the other.
4. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
(a) A huge fire.
(b) A growth spurt.
(c) An epidemic.
(d) World's Fair.
5. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(b) No one.
6. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
(a) He might get lonely and cheat on her.
(b) His emotional state is too fragile for the work.
(c) It is so far away from where they are living.
(d) It is dangerous.
7. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A writer.
(b) A private investigator.
(c) An editor.
(d) A pilot.
8. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
(a) A poem.
(b) A special delivery letter.
(c) A bunch of roses.
(d) A photograph.
9. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her brother has just died.
(b) Her father has just died.
(c) Her mother has just died.
(d) She just miscarried.
10. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) To have a tax write off.
(b) To look like a read author.
(c) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(d) It was too distracting to work at home.
11. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
(a) His mother was there visiting.
(b) His brother is missing.
(c) His father was dying.
(d) His has received his third rejection from the Saturday Evening Post.
12. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He is recovering from a head injury.
(b) He has malaria.
(c) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(d) He has dysentery.
13. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) Carnegie Steel.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Firestone Tires.
14. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Go with him on assignment.
(b) Return to the States.
(d) Stay in Paris.
15. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She would be a joy to her husband.
(b) She was the same as a prostitute.
(c) She would have her heart broken.
(d) She would be pregnant all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
2. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
3. How old is Hemingway?
4. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
5. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)