|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both love the area.
(b) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(c) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(d) They both hate the area.
2. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
(c) Be happy.
(d) Enjoy nature.
3. How is Hadley when Ernest meets her the next morning?
4. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(b) Her checkbook.
(c) Her bank book.
(d) Her diaphragm.
5. Where does Ernest's job send him?
6. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
(a) Rome is too dangerous.
(b) Rome restricts the content of books.
(c) Serious artists go to Paris.
(d) Rome is too conservative.
7. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use less obscure vocabulary.
(b) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
(c) Use more detailed scenes.
(d) Use more complex writing.
8. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(b) She is divorcing her husband.
(c) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(d) She is pregnant.
9. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(c) Not having her own work.
(d) Her marriage.
10. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Taking on a new job.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Returning to the States.
(d) Forget writing.
11. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(b) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(c) Tries to remain calm.
(d) Pretends that it's not important.
12. Who is Agnes?
(a) Hadley's cousin.
(b) A nurse in Italy.
(c) A nurse in England.
(d) Ernest's cousin.
13. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The Paris Review.
(b) The Toronto Star.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The London Times.
14. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
15. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(b) Emotionally dependent.
(c) Strong and confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
2. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
3. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
4. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
5. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)