|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Being jealous of every woman.
(c) Not being supportive of his writing.
2. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) A young man at the party she does not know.
(b) No one.
(c) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(d) The master of ceremonies.
3. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
(a) A bigger flat.
(b) A vacation in Switzerland.
(c) A vacation in Italy.
(d) A few new books.
4. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She was very mean and degrading to him.
(b) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(c) She spurned his advances.
(d) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
5. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
6. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) To look like a read author.
(b) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(c) To have a tax write off.
(d) It was too distracting to work at home.
7. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
8. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has malaria.
(b) He is recovering from a head injury.
(c) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(d) He has dysentery.
9. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Charles Thompson.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
10. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(b) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) Nothing is significant about the place.
11. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Kate's best friend.
(b) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(c) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(d) Hemingway's best friend.
12. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
(a) His has received his third rejection from the Saturday Evening Post.
(b) His mother was there visiting.
(c) His brother is missing.
(d) His father was dying.
13. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a bitch.
(b) As a brilliant but good woman.
(c) As a insane woman.
(d) As a loving nurturer.
14. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(b) Her bank book.
(c) Her diaphragm.
(d) Her checkbook.
15. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
(b) Be happy.
(c) Enjoy nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
2. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
3. What does Ernest decide to do?
4. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
5. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)