|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the church where Ernest and Hadley marry?
(a) Near St. Louis.
(b) Horton Bay.
(c) Holton Township.
(d) Near Ketchum.
2. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Return to the States.
(b) Go with him on assignment.
(c) Stay in Paris.
3. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He has no feelings one way or the other.
(d) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
4. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) Her father's expression.
(c) Her brother when he was young.
5. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
(b) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
(c) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
(d) Escort Hadley to the States.
6. What does Ernest decide to do?
(a) Take time off to re-write his work.
(b) Not return to the States until he was a successfully published author.
(c) Divorce Hadley if she didn't stop complaining.
(d) Ask his father for money.
7. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(c) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(d) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
8. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Kate's best friend.
(b) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(c) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(d) Hemingway's best friend.
9. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
10. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
11. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
(a) She asks him not to go.
(b) She is fearful for his safety.
(c) She knows he has to do it to help support them.
(d) She is proud of his contribution to the war effort.
12. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) He admires her so much.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He speaks his feelings about her.
13. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Invites him to St. Louis.
(b) Includes a poems he wrote.
(c) Includes a lock of her hair.
(d) Kisses the envelope.
14. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(a) Ernest's brother.
(c) Ernest's parents.
(d) Hadley's sister.
15. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Send off his letters of introduction.
(b) Write a long book and not short stories.
(c) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
(d) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
2. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
3. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
4. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
5. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)