|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
(b) Her sister Dorothea.
(c) Her sister Fonnie.
2. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(b) They both love the area.
(c) They both hate the area.
(d) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
3. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
4. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To check out the unrest there.
(b) To revisit some places he had been.
(c) To witness some bullfighting.
(d) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
5. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(b) Her marriage.
(d) Not having her own work.
6. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
(a) There is a note saying everyone had already left for the day.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald is there.
(c) The kitchen is a wreck.
(d) Ernest Hemingway is there.
7. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
(a) A vacation in Italy.
(b) A bigger flat.
(c) A vacation in Switzerland.
(d) A few new books.
8. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her checkbook.
(b) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(c) Her bank book.
(d) Her diaphragm.
9. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Write a long book and not short stories.
(b) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
(c) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
(d) Send off his letters of introduction.
10. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
11. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) Her brother when he was young.
(d) Her father's expression.
12. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He speaks his feelings about her.
(b) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(c) He admires her so much.
(d) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
13. What sort of accusations are circulated about a small newspaper where Ernest works?
(a) The paper was run by a Communist.
(b) The paper was involved in unethical activities.
(c) The paper was anti-American.
(d) The paper lacked good journalism.
14. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(b) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(c) He learns more about symbolism.
(d) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
15. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
(a) Serious artists go to Paris.
(b) Rome is too conservative.
(c) Rome is too dangerous.
(d) Rome restricts the content of books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
2. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
3. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
4. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
5. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)