|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
(a) The Greek.
(b) The Russian Revolution.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Midwest of the United States.
2. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) The Franco-Turkish war.
(b) The Greco-Turkish war.
(d) Huge displacements of civilians.
3. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(b) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
(d) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
4. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Forget writing.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Returning to the States.
(d) Taking on a new job.
5. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(a) Not having her own work.
(c) Her marriage.
6. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Charles Thompson.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
7. How old is Hemingway?
8. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(b) Their relationship is all consuming.
(c) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(d) It was open, and both had other lovers.
9. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both hate the area.
(b) They both love the area.
(c) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(d) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
10. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
11. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Toronto Star.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Paris Review.
12. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
(b) To check out the unrest there.
(c) To revisit some places he had been.
(d) To witness some bullfighting.
13. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(b) They are served bizarre finger food.
(c) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
14. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
(a) She had been in love with Ernest.
(b) Ernest had sexually assaulted her.
(c) She had made a fool of herself with Ernest.
(d) Ernest had rejected her handily.
15. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As a mediocre writer.
(b) As somewhat of a passive person.
(c) As a psuedo-intellectual.
(d) As a lesbian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
2. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
3. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
4. Where is there news of increased conflicts?
5. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)