|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(a) Hates it.
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
(d) Hemingway's family cottage.
3. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(b) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
(c) He learns more about symbolism.
(d) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
4. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) No one Hadley has ever met.
(b) Friends of Hadley's.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
5. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) Firestone Tires.
(b) Carnegie Steel.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
6. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Pretends that it's not important.
(b) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(c) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(d) Tries to remain calm.
7. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
8. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(b) He is still in love with another woman.
(c) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
(d) He is dating another woman.
9. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) Her brother when he was young.
(c) Her father's expression.
10. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
11. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) He speaks his feelings about her.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He admires her so much.
12. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
(b) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
(c) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
13. Who is Agnes?
(a) A nurse in Italy.
(b) A nurse in England.
(c) Hadley's cousin.
(d) Ernest's cousin.
14. What does Ernest decide to do?
(a) Not return to the States until he was a successfully published author.
(b) Ask his father for money.
(c) Divorce Hadley if she didn't stop complaining.
(d) Take time off to re-write his work.
15. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Kate's best friend.
(b) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(c) Hemingway's best friend.
(d) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley lose on the train?
2. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
3. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
4. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
5. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)