|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Escort Hadley to the States.
(b) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
(c) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
(d) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
2. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her diaphragm.
(b) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(c) Her bank book.
(d) Her checkbook.
3. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(b) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
(c) They are served bizarre finger food.
(d) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
4. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) Once in several months.
(c) Every week or two.
(d) About once a month.
5. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(b) Almost drowned Ernest.
(c) Almost drowned.
(d) Exposed her breast to him.
6. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
(a) He is still in love with another woman.
(b) He is dating another woman.
(c) He is moving to Austria for a year.
(d) He is married and trying to obtain a divorce.
7. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
8. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(b) No one.
9. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
10. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
11. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A writer.
(b) An editor.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A pilot.
12. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a insane woman.
(b) As a loving nurturer.
(c) As a brilliant but good woman.
(d) As a bitch.
13. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) Her father's expression.
(d) Her brother when he was young.
14. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Not being supportive of his writing.
(d) Being jealous of every woman.
15. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(c) He speaks his feelings about her.
(d) He admires her so much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hadley in mourning?
2. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
3. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
4. Why does Hadley not do what Ernest wants?
5. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)