|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
2. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(a) Writes for hours.
(d) Throws things.
3. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(d) Hates it.
4. Who is Agnes?
(a) Hadley's cousin.
(b) Ernest's cousin.
(c) A nurse in England.
(d) A nurse in Italy.
5. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
6. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(b) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(c) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(d) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
7. How does Ernest respond to Stein's suggestions?
(a) He scorns it.
(b) He embraces the advice wholeheartedly.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He takes a little of the advice but not much.
8. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
9. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) The Greco-Turkish war.
(c) Huge displacements of civilians.
(d) The Franco-Turkish war.
10. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(b) Their relationship is all consuming.
(c) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(d) It was open, and both had other lovers.
11. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(b) They both hate the area.
(c) They both love the area.
(d) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
12. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
(b) No one Hadley has ever met.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Friends of Hadley's.
13. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He is recovering from a head injury.
(b) He has dysentery.
(c) He has malaria.
(d) He is recovering from food poisoning.
14. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) He admires her so much.
(c) He speaks his feelings about her.
(d) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
15. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) Carnegie Steel.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Firestone Tires.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
2. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
3. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
4. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
5. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)