|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both hate the area.
(b) They both love the area.
(c) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(d) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
2. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her sister Dorothea.
(c) Her sister Fonnie.
(d) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
3. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(b) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(c) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
4. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
(a) His emotional state is too fragile for the work.
(b) It is dangerous.
(c) He might get lonely and cheat on her.
(d) It is so far away from where they are living.
5. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(b) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) Nothing is significant about the place.
6. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her father has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her mother has just died.
(d) Her brother has just died.
7. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(b) No one.
(c) The master of ceremonies.
(d) A young man at the party she does not know.
8. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
(a) Interview one of its famous attendees.
(b) She has no particular hopes.
(c) Meet someone who wants to be a traveling companion.
(d) Dance with Hemingway again.
9. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
(a) A bigger flat.
(b) A few new books.
(c) A vacation in Italy.
(d) A vacation in Switzerland.
10. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(b) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
(d) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
11. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Send off his letters of introduction.
(b) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
(c) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
(d) Write a long book and not short stories.
12. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She is divorcing her husband.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(d) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
13. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A family friend.
(c) No one.
(d) Her cousin.
14. How old is Hadley at the opening?
15. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(a) Hurt and angry.
(c) Sorry that they fought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
2. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
3. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
4. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
5. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)