|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A successful steel mill.
(b) A public library system.
(c) A farm conglomerate.
(d) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
2. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He speaks his feelings about her.
(b) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He admires her so much.
3. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(b) Go with him on assignment.
(c) Return to the States.
(d) Stay in Paris.
4. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Friends of Hadley's.
(b) A husband and wife.
(c) No one Hadley has ever met.
(d) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
5. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
6. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has malaria.
(b) He has dysentery.
(c) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(d) He is recovering from a head injury.
7. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As a lesbian.
(b) As somewhat of a passive person.
(c) As a psuedo-intellectual.
(d) As a mediocre writer.
8. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Invites him to St. Louis.
(b) Kisses the envelope.
(c) Includes a lock of her hair.
(d) Includes a poems he wrote.
9. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Soldier on the front lines.
(b) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(c) Correspondent for the Times.
(d) Ambulance driver.
10. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(a) Sea captain.
11. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(a) Emotionally dependent.
(d) Strong and confident.
12. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her checkbook.
(b) Her diaphragm.
(c) Her bank book.
(d) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
13. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He is totally in love with it.
(d) He has no feelings one way or the other.
14. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Returning to the States.
(c) Forget writing.
(d) Taking on a new job.
15. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
(a) A huge family photo album.
(b) A long, complicated story about a trip to Nepal.
(c) Inviting their pastor over to talk about their trip as missionaries to Africa.
(d) A long, complicated story about a trip to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
2. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
3. Why does Ernest rent an office?
4. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
5. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)