|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
2. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Almost drowned Ernest.
(b) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(c) Exposed her breast to him.
(d) Almost drowned.
3. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
(a) Pablo Picasso.
(b) Emmanual Kant.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Ezra Pound.
4. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
5. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(b) Soldier on the front lines.
(c) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
6. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both hate the area.
(b) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(c) They both love the area.
(d) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
7. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(b) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(c) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
(d) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
8. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) Firestone Tires.
(b) Carnegie Steel.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) The New York Times.
9. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(b) Writes for hours.
(d) Throws things.
10. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(a) Her desire to move to New York.
(b) Her depression.
(c) Her possible pregnancy.
11. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She spurned his advances.
(b) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(c) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(d) She was very mean and degrading to him.
12. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(b) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(c) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
13. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(b) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
(c) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
14. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(b) If she would come along as his mistress.
(c) If he is making the best decision.
(d) If he should go to Paris instead.
15. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Some money.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
2. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
3. How old is Hemingway?
4. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
5. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)