|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Go with him on assignment.
(c) Return to the States.
(d) Stay in Paris.
2. How old is Hadley at the opening?
3. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To revisit some places he had been.
(b) To witness some bullfighting.
(c) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
(d) To check out the unrest there.
4. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
(a) To introduce Hemingway.
(b) To ask them to teach Hemingway the ropes.
(c) To tell them that Hemingway probably has no talent.
(d) To share gossip.
5. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(b) He speaks his feelings about her.
(c) He admires her so much.
(d) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
6. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
7. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
(b) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
(c) Escort Hadley to the States.
(d) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
8. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(d) Sea captain.
9. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He has no feelings one way or the other.
10. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(a) Hurt and angry.
(b) Sorry that they fought.
11. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As a lesbian.
(b) As somewhat of a passive person.
(c) As a mediocre writer.
(d) As a psuedo-intellectual.
12. Why does Hadley not do what Ernest wants?
(a) She has other plans.
(b) She has another invitation.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She is very ill.
13. What is becoming less frequent?
(a) Fonnie's objections.
(b) Hadley's brother's bouts of maleria.
(c) Ernest's letters to Hadley.
(d) Ernest's bouts of maleria.
14. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(b) Writing a book about her mother.
(c) Going to Europe.
(d) Having a drink and dancing a little.
15. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(b) Her sister Dorothea.
(c) Her sister Fonnie.
(d) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
2. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
3. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
4. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
5. Who is Edward O'Brien?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)