|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
(a) A huge fire.
(b) An epidemic.
(c) World's Fair.
(d) A growth spurt.
2. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her father has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her brother has just died.
(d) Her mother has just died.
3. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Hemingway's best friend.
(b) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(c) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(d) Kate's best friend.
4. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) Some money.
(b) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her glasses.
5. From whom does Ernest receive an invitation?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Emmanual Kant.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
6. What aspect does Ezra excoriate while the Hemingways are there?
(a) The insincerity.
(b) Prejudice against Jews.
(c) Prejudice against Americans.
(d) Lack of appreciation for his poetry.
7. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
8. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(b) To look like a read author.
(c) It was too distracting to work at home.
(d) To have a tax write off.
9. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Forget writing.
(b) Returning to the States.
(c) Having a baby.
(d) Taking on a new job.
10. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
(a) Not being supportive of his writing.
(b) Being jealous of every woman.
(d) Having an affair.
11. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He has no feelings one way or the other.
(c) He is totally in love with it.
(d) He hates it.
12. For how long do the Hemingways not speak to each other?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 hours.
(d) 1 week.
13. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(a) Their relationship is all consuming.
(c) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(d) It was open, and both had other lovers.
14. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Almost drowned Ernest.
(b) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(c) Almost drowned.
(d) Exposed her breast to him.
15. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
(a) Zora Neal Hurston.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Alice B. Toklas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
2. Where does Ernest say he might move?
3. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
4. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
5. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)