|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Charles Thompson.
2. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Go with him on assignment.
(b) Stay in Paris.
(c) Return to the States.
3. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
(a) A bigger flat.
(b) A few new books.
(c) A vacation in Switzerland.
(d) A vacation in Italy.
4. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(b) If she would come along as his mistress.
(c) If he should go to Paris instead.
(d) If he is making the best decision.
5. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(b) Almost drowned Ernest.
(c) Almost drowned.
(d) Exposed her breast to him.
6. Where does Ernest's job send him?
7. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(b) Her marriage.
(d) Not having her own work.
8. What does Ernest decide to do?
(a) Take time off to re-write his work.
(b) Not return to the States until he was a successfully published author.
(c) Ask his father for money.
(d) Divorce Hadley if she didn't stop complaining.
9. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
(a) Rome is too dangerous.
(b) Serious artists go to Paris.
(c) Rome is too conservative.
(d) Rome restricts the content of books.
10. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
(b) A successful steel mill.
(c) A public library system.
(d) A farm conglomerate.
11. What does Stein recommend to Ernest regarding his writing?
(a) Use more detailed scenes.
(b) Use more complex writing.
(c) Use simple, clear language like that in his poems.
(d) Use less obscure vocabulary.
12. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She would be a joy to her husband.
(b) She was the same as a prostitute.
(c) She would have her heart broken.
(d) She would be pregnant all the time.
13. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(b) She spurned his advances.
(c) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(d) She was very mean and degrading to him.
14. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
(a) His has received his third rejection from the Saturday Evening Post.
(b) His brother is missing.
(c) His father was dying.
(d) His mother was there visiting.
15. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(b) Emotionally dependent.
(c) Strong and confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hadley when Ernest meets her the next morning?
2. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
3. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
4. What is becoming less frequent?
5. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)