|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To check out the unrest there.
(b) To revisit some places he had been.
(c) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
(d) To witness some bullfighting.
2. What does Ernest recall about Kate?
(a) She spurned his advances.
(b) She tried to get her brother to not associate with Ernest.
(c) An incident that caused tension between Ernest and Kate.
(d) She was very mean and degrading to him.
3. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has dysentery.
(b) He is recovering from a head injury.
(c) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(d) He has malaria.
4. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) Her father's expression.
(b) A lost puppy.
(d) Her brother when he was young.
5. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If he should go to Paris instead.
(b) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(c) If he is making the best decision.
(d) If she would come along as his mistress.
6. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
(b) Her glasses.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Some money.
7. How old is Hadley at the opening?
8. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A private investigator.
(b) A pilot.
(c) A writer.
(d) An editor.
9. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(b) Go with him on assignment.
(c) Stay in Paris.
(d) Return to the States.
10. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Kisses the envelope.
(b) Includes a poems he wrote.
(c) Invites him to St. Louis.
(d) Includes a lock of her hair.
11. Why does Hadley not do what Ernest wants?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) She has other plans.
(c) She has another invitation.
(d) She is angry with him.
12. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
(b) Be happy.
(d) Enjoy nature.
13. Where do the Hemingways spend some time?
14. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
(a) Nothing, because she is too upset to talk about it.
(b) It was not important.
(c) It was priceless.
(d) It can easily be replaced.
15. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(c) Sorry that they fought.
(d) Hurt and angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
2. What sort of accusations are circulated about a small newspaper where Ernest works?
3. What is a first for Ernest on this assignment?
4. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
5. For what organization is Ernest working?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)