|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(b) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
(c) Nothing is significant about the place.
(d) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
2. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He admires her so much.
(b) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(c) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
(d) He speaks his feelings about her.
3. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(b) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(c) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
4. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
5. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(b) He learns more about symbolism.
(c) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(d) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
6. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) Firestone Tires.
(d) Carnegie Steel.
7. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(a) Her possible pregnancy.
(c) Her desire to move to New York.
(d) Her depression.
8. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
(b) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(c) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(d) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
9. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He has no feelings one way or the other.
10. Ernest's expression sometimes reminds Hadley of ______________.
(a) Her brother when he was young.
(b) Her father's expression.
(d) A lost puppy.
11. Where is the church where Ernest and Hadley marry?
(a) Near St. Louis.
(b) Near Ketchum.
(c) Holton Township.
(d) Horton Bay.
12. Why does Ernest want to go to Spain?
(a) To revisit some places he had been.
(b) To witness some bullfighting.
(c) To check out the unrest there.
(d) He does not ever want to go to Spain.
13. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(a) Writes for hours.
(d) Throws things.
14. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(b) They are served bizarre finger food.
(c) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(d) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
15. Where is Hadley Richardson?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
2. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
3. For how long do the Hemingways not speak to each other?
4. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
5. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)