|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
(a) She had been in love with Ernest.
(b) Ernest had rejected her handily.
(c) Ernest had sexually assaulted her.
(d) She had made a fool of herself with Ernest.
2. What does Lewis Galantiere encourage Ernest to do?
(a) Send his latest story to an English publisher.
(b) Send off his letters of introduction.
(c) Write a long book and not short stories.
(d) Send his latest story to a French publisher.
3. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(b) She believes in monogamy.
(c) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
(d) She does not like to be alone.
4. With what does Grace bore the family gathering to meet Hadley?
(a) A long, complicated story about a trip to Nepal.
(b) A huge family photo album.
(c) A long, complicated story about a trip to Africa.
(d) Inviting their pastor over to talk about their trip as missionaries to Africa.
5. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Charles Thompson.
6. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(b) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(c) She is divorcing her husband.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(b) Her bank book.
(c) Her diaphragm.
(d) Her checkbook.
8. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
9. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
(b) No one.
10. How does Hadley feel about Ernest's new book?
(d) Hates it.
11. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) The master of ceremonies.
(b) No one.
(c) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(d) A young man at the party she does not know.
12. Of what is Ernest more frightened than getting married?
(a) Not becoming a successful writer.
(b) Being alone.
(d) Being humiliated.
13. What is the first place where Ernest and Hadley live like?
14. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
(a) He speaks his feelings about her.
(b) He can love her yet not be dominated by her.
(c) He admires her so much.
(d) Hadley does not mention Ernest and his mother.
15. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) A husband and wife.
(b) No one Hadley has ever met.
(c) Friends of Hadley's.
(d) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hadley respond to Ernest's assignment?
2. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
3. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
4. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
5. On what does Hadley get drunk when they go out with the Pounds?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)