|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(a) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(b) Their relationship is all consuming.
(d) It was open, and both had other lovers.
2. How old is Hemingway?
3. How does Kate respond when Hadley asks her about Hemingway?
4. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) Dorothy Pound.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) T. S. Eliot.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
5. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
(a) It is Hadley's birthday.
(b) It is the day Ernest receives an acceptance letter for a novel.
(c) It is the day Ernest and Kate have a falling out.
(d) It is the day Ernest gets married.
6. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(d) Sea captain.
7. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Charles Thompson.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
8. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(c) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
9. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
(b) Friends of Hadley's.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) No one Hadley has ever met.
10. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(b) Tries to remain calm.
(c) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(d) Pretends that it's not important.
11. Why does Ernest rent an office?
(a) It was too distracting to work at home.
(b) To have a tax write off.
(c) To get out of the house and away from Hadley more.
(d) To look like a read author.
12. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Taking on a new job.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Forget writing.
(d) Returning to the States.
13. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A writer.
(b) An editor.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A pilot.
14. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
(a) Her checkbook.
(b) Her diaphragm.
(c) A letter to a publisher that Ernest needed.
(d) Her bank book.
15. What does Ernest ask Hadley about Rome?
(a) If she would come along as his mistress.
(b) If she wants to come along as his wife.
(c) If he should go to Paris instead.
(d) If he is making the best decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crushes Hadley about something Ernest tells her?
2. Who fascinates Hadley?
3. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
4. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
5. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)