|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(a) Her possible pregnancy.
(b) Her desire to move to New York.
(d) Her depression.
2. How does Ernest feel about Paris?
(a) He knows it's good for his career to be there.
(b) He is totally in love with it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He has no feelings one way or the other.
3. What does Ernest have to do with Sylvia Beach's Shakespeare and Company on the Left Bank?
(a) He uses it as a guide for what not to do.
(b) He studies its style and borrows some of it.
(c) He learns more about symbolism.
(d) He tries to read it, but gives up after a few pages.
4. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
(b) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
(c) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
(d) Escort Hadley to the States.
5. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) About once a month.
(c) Once in several months.
(d) Every week or two.
6. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Some money.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
7. Where do Ernest and Hadley go for their honeymoon?
(b) Hemingway's family cottage.
8. Where do the Hemingways go that reminds Ernest of his war wounds?
9. What does Ernest insist Hadley do?
(a) Return to the States.
(b) Stay in Paris.
(d) Go with him on assignment.
10. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
(a) A British war correspondent.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A Turkish ayatollah.
(d) A French war correspondent.
11. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Soldier on the front lines.
(b) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
12. Whom does Hadley feel guilty about while she is in Chicago?
(a) Her sister Fonnie.
(b) Her brother was ill in St. Louis and she does not return to nurse him.
(d) Her sister Dorothea.
13. Why does Hadley have difficulty with what Ernest accuses her?
(a) She thinks Ernest is very capable of having an affair.
(b) She does not really know why she feels the way she does.
(c) She believes in monogamy.
(d) She does not like to be alone.
14. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Being jealous of every woman.
(c) Not being supportive of his writing.
15. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) They both hate the area.
(b) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(c) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(d) They both love the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
2. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
3. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
4. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
5. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)