|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
(a) A bunch of roses.
(b) A poem.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A special delivery letter.
2. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Tries to remain calm.
(b) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(c) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(d) Pretends that it's not important.
3. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(b) Kate's best friend.
(c) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(d) Hemingway's best friend.
4. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
(d) Sea captain.
5. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
(a) Ernest had rejected her handily.
(b) She had made a fool of herself with Ernest.
(c) Ernest had sexually assaulted her.
(d) She had been in love with Ernest.
6. Who does Ernest find to be not very bright?
7. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(b) Writing a book about her mother.
(c) Having a drink and dancing a little.
(d) Going to Europe.
8. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Russian Revolution.
(c) The Greek.
(d) The Midwest of the United States.
9. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Correspondent for the Times.
(b) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Soldier on the front lines.
10. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(a) Ernest's brother.
(b) Hadley's sister.
(c) Ernest's parents.
11. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
(a) A few new books.
(b) A vacation in Switzerland.
(c) A vacation in Italy.
(d) A bigger flat.
12. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
(a) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
13. Of what does Ernest accuse Hadley?
(a) Being jealous of every woman.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Not being supportive of his writing.
14. What dismays Hadley about the Pound's marriage?
(b) It was open, and both had other lovers.
(c) Dorothy is Ezra's equal in all ways.
(d) Their relationship is all consuming.
15. Where is Ernest sent on Thanksgiving in 1922?
(a) To cover the impact of WWI in Russia.
(b) To cover the Lusanne Peace Conference.
(c) To cover the aftermath of the war in German.
(d) To cover the aftermath of the Versailles Treaty.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
2. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
3. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
4. Who do Ernest and Hadley occasionally spot on the streets?
5. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)