|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(c) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(d) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
2. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As a psuedo-intellectual.
(b) As somewhat of a passive person.
(c) As a mediocre writer.
(d) As a lesbian.
3. What does a reporter offer to do?
(a) Escort Hadley to Lusanne.
(b) Send some of Ernest's work to Cosmopolitan.
(c) Escort Hadley to the States.
(d) Escort Hadley to Versailles.
4. What does Hadley lose on the train?
(a) Her purse.
(b) A valise full of Ernest's manuscripts.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) Some money.
5. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
(a) Ernest Hemingway is there.
(b) There is a note saying everyone had already left for the day.
(c) The kitchen is a wreck.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald is there.
6. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(a) Not having her own work.
(c) Her marriage.
7. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A successful steel mill.
(b) A public library system.
(c) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
(d) A farm conglomerate.
8. Of what is Ernest more frightened than getting married?
(b) Being alone.
(c) Not becoming a successful writer.
(d) Being humiliated.
9. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(a) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
(b) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(c) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
10. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(b) Almost drowned.
(c) Almost drowned Ernest.
(d) Exposed her breast to him.
11. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She would be pregnant all the time.
(b) She was the same as a prostitute.
(c) She would be a joy to her husband.
(d) She would have her heart broken.
12. With what is Ernest completely obsessed?
(a) The museums.
(b) The writing groups and their discussions.
(c) His writing.
13. How often does Hadley receive a letter from Ernest?
(a) Sometimes 2-3 times a day.
(b) Every week or two.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Once in several months.
14. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(b) She is divorcing her husband.
(c) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(d) She is pregnant.
15. Where does Hadley travel in January to see Ernest?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to send some of Ernest's poetry to some contacts?
2. What happened in St. Louis in 1904?
3. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
4. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
5. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)