|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) The Greco-Turkish war.
(c) Huge displacements of civilians.
(d) The Franco-Turkish war.
2. What did Hadley's father establish in St. Louis?
(a) A successful steel mill.
(b) A public library system.
(c) A farm conglomerate.
(d) A group of clandestine meetings to run the city.
3. What did Hadley's mother say about a wife who likes sex?
(a) She was the same as a prostitute.
(b) She would have her heart broken.
(c) She would be a joy to her husband.
(d) She would be pregnant all the time.
4. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A private investigator.
(c) An editor.
(d) A writer.
5. Who visited the Hemingways for Christmas?
(a) Ernest's parents.
(b) Ernest's brother.
(d) Hadley's sister.
6. What does Hadley impulsively do when she writes her first letter to Ernest?
(a) Kisses the envelope.
(b) Invites him to St. Louis.
(c) Includes a poems he wrote.
(d) Includes a lock of her hair.
7. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Returning to the States.
(c) Forget writing.
(d) Taking on a new job.
8. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) Kate's best friend.
(b) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(c) Hemingway's best friend.
(d) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
9. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a brilliant but good woman.
(b) As a loving nurturer.
(c) As a bitch.
(d) As a insane woman.
10. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
11. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her brother has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her father has just died.
(d) Her mother has just died.
12. How is Gertrude Stein characterized in A Paris Wife?
(a) As a lesbian.
(b) As somewhat of a passive person.
(c) As a mediocre writer.
(d) As a psuedo-intellectual.
13. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(c) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
(d) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
14. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Pretends that it's not important.
(b) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(c) Tries to remain calm.
(d) Tries not to blame Hadley.
15. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(a) Her depression.
(c) Her desire to move to New York.
(d) Her possible pregnancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
2. What is becoming less frequent?
3. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
4. What does Hadley receive from Ernest Hemingway that stuns her?
5. Where is Hadley Richardson?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)