|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(a) Having a drink and dancing a little.
(b) Writing a book about her mother.
(d) Going to Europe.
2. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The Toronto Star.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Paris Review.
3. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
(a) Exposed her breast to him.
(b) Tried to keep Ernest away from another woman.
(c) Almost drowned.
(d) Almost drowned Ernest.
4. Sherwood Anderson recommends that ________________.
(a) Ernest go to Paris to work on his craft.
(b) Ernest go to New York to work on his craft.
(c) Ernest divorce and devote himself to his work.
(d) Ernest come and live near Anderson.
5. What is Hadley's major objection to Ernest's assignment?
(a) He might get lonely and cheat on her.
(b) His emotional state is too fragile for the work.
(c) It is so far away from where they are living.
(d) It is dangerous.
6. What does Ernest sometimes do uncontrollably?
(c) Throws things.
(d) Writes for hours.
7. What had Hadley finally learned from Kate?
(a) She had made a fool of herself with Ernest.
(b) Ernest had sexually assaulted her.
(c) Ernest had rejected her handily.
(d) She had been in love with Ernest.
8. Who is Harrison Williams?
(a) A young man with whom Hadley had been in love.
(b) Kate's best friend.
(c) A man Hemingway met in Italy.
(d) Hemingway's best friend.
9. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(a) Emotionally dependent.
(b) Strong and confident.
10. What surprises Kate when she walks into the kitchen of her friends the next morning?
(a) There is a note saying everyone had already left for the day.
(b) The kitchen is a wreck.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald is there.
(d) Ernest Hemingway is there.
11. Who is Agnes?
(a) Hadley's cousin.
(b) A nurse in England.
(c) Ernest's cousin.
(d) A nurse in Italy.
12. What has been happening for three years in the area of increased conflicts?
(a) Huge displacements of civilians.
(c) The Greco-Turkish war.
(d) The Franco-Turkish war.
13. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
(b) They will loan her some money to replace what was stolen.
(c) There was little hope of Hadley recovering the bag.
(d) They will not allow anyone to disembark without searching them.
14. Where does Ernest's job send him?
15. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(b) Soldier on the front lines.
(c) Correspondent for an independent magazine.
(d) Correspondent for the Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernest's father's occupation?
2. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
3. How old is Hadley at the opening?
4. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
5. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)