|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
(a) His mother.
(c) His former girlfriend.
2. What does Hadley suspect about Kate?
(a) She hopes to be involved with Ernest.
(b) She had been involved at one time with Ernest.
(c) She is divorcing her husband.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. How does Hadley feel around Ernest?
(a) Strong and confident.
(d) Emotionally dependent.
4. What is significant about the place where Ernest is going to marry Hadley?
(a) Nothing is significant about the place.
(b) Ernest's father proposed to Ernest's mother there.
(c) Ernest first decided to become a writer at that place.
(d) It is just a mile from where he had a run-in with Kate.
5. How old is Hadley at the opening?
6. What does Hadley not mention to Fonnie when she returns to St. Louis?
(b) Her desire to move to New York.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her possible pregnancy.
7. How old is Hemingway?
8. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The Toronto Star.
(b) The Paris Review.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The New York Times.
9. Who is Edward O'Brien?
(a) An editor.
(b) A pilot.
(c) A writer.
(d) A private investigator.
10. What does Ernest feel Hadley tries to trick him into doing?
(a) Forget writing.
(b) Returning to the States.
(c) Having a baby.
(d) Taking on a new job.
11. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
(a) Pretends that it's not important.
(b) Tries to comfort Hadley.
(c) Tries not to blame Hadley.
(d) Tries to remain calm.
12. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Charles Thompson.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
13. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
14. Where is the church where Ernest and Hadley marry?
(a) Near Ketchum.
(b) Horton Bay.
(c) Holton Township.
(d) Near St. Louis.
15. Where is Hadley Richardson?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Ernest get into a fight?
2. Who escorts Hadley down the aisle?
3. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
4. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
5. What is significant about September 3, 1921?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)