|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Ernest write that bothers Hadley?
(a) His mother.
(b) His former girlfriend.
2. For how long do the Hemingways not speak to each other?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 1 day.
3. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
4. How do Ernest and Hadley feel about their living quarters?
(a) Hadley loves them, and Ernest hates them.
(b) They both hate the area.
(c) Ernest loves them, and Hadley hates them.
(d) They both love the area.
5. Where is Hadley Richardson?
6. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
7. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) No one Hadley has ever met.
(b) Friends of Hadley's.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
8. Of what is Hadley growing tired?
(b) Not having her own work.
(d) Her marriage.
9. How old is Hadley at the opening?
10. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her mother has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her father has just died.
(d) Her brother has just died.
11. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
(a) The Greek.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Midwest of the United States.
(d) The Russian Revolution.
12. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a bitch.
(b) As a brilliant but good woman.
(c) As a loving nurturer.
(d) As a insane woman.
13. What does Hadley tell another passenger about what she lost?
(a) It was priceless.
(b) Nothing, because she is too upset to talk about it.
(c) It can easily be replaced.
(d) It was not important.
14. How does Ernest respond to Stein's suggestions?
(a) He takes a little of the advice but not much.
(b) He scorns it.
(c) He embraces the advice wholeheartedly.
(d) He is amused.
15. What is Hadley hoping to do at the party?
(a) Meet someone who wants to be a traveling companion.
(b) She has no particular hopes.
(c) Interview one of its famous attendees.
(d) Dance with Hemingway again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anderson not recommend Rome for Ernest?
2. What did Kate do when she and Ernest were swimming with friends?
3. What does Hadley admire about Ernest regarding his mother?
4. What did Hadley leave in Paris that infuriated Ernest?
5. What do the train officials tell Hadley?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)