|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 37 through 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernest feel as he leaves on his assignment?
(a) Hurt and angry.
(c) Sorry that they fought.
2. How was the visit to Gertrude Stein unusual?
(a) Hadley chats with Gertrude's "wife," Alice while Ernest chats with Gertrude.
(b) They have to listen to a lecture by an obscure philologist.
(c) They meet in Gertrude's kitchen.
(d) They are served bizarre finger food.
3. For whom does Hadley feel an immediately liking?
(a) Pablo Picasso.
(b) Alice B. Toklas.
(c) Dorothy Pound.
(d) T. S. Eliot.
4. For whom is Hemingway writing copy?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) Firestone Tires.
(d) Carnegie Steel.
5. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
(b) Friends of Hadley's.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) No one Hadley has ever met.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Ernest's career at this point?
2. What does Ernest try to do when Hadley tells him of the incident on the train?
3. What annoys Ernest about Hadley's conversation?
4. On what do the Hemingways decide to splurge?
5. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)