|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 through 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what organization is Ernest working?
(a) The Toronto Star.
(b) The Paris Review.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The London Times.
2. How does Ernest refer to his mother?
(a) As a bitch.
(b) As a brilliant but good woman.
(c) As a insane woman.
(d) As a loving nurturer.
3. What is wrong with Ernest when he arrives back in Paris?
(a) He has malaria.
(b) He has dysentery.
(c) He is recovering from food poisoning.
(d) He is recovering from a head injury.
4. Why does Anderson write to Ezra Pound, James Joyce, and Gertrude Stein?
(a) To share gossip.
(b) To tell them that Hemingway probably has no talent.
(c) To introduce Hemingway.
(d) To ask them to teach Hemingway the ropes.
5. Why is Ernest feeling down when Hadley visits him?
(a) His mother was there visiting.
(b) His has received his third rejection from the Saturday Evening Post.
(c) His brother is missing.
(d) His father was dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ernest's occupation during the war in Italy?
2. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
3. Where does Ernest go to report on an economic conference?
4. Whom does Ezra excoriate when the Hemingways are out with them?
5. Ernest says he needs to be alone to ___________.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)