Chapters 1 through 4
1. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
2. Where is Hadley Richardson?
3. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
(b) A husband and wife.
(c) Friends of Hadley's.
(d) No one Hadley has ever met.
4. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) A young man at the party she does not know.
(b) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(c) The master of ceremonies.
(d) No one.
5. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Charles Thompson.
6. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her mother has just died.
(b) Her brother has just died.
(c) She just miscarried.
(d) Her father has just died.
7. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(b) Going to Europe.
(c) Writing a book about her mother.
(d) Having a drink and dancing a little.
This section contains 4,606 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)