Chapters 1 through 4
1. What is the year at the opening to the novel?
2. Where is Hadley Richardson?
3. Who are Kate and Kenley Smith?
(a) A husband and wife.
(b) Friends of Hadley's.
(c) No one Hadley has ever met.
(d) Twins who Hadley meets at the party.
4. Who fascinates Hadley?
(a) A young man at the party she does not know.
(b) An elderly gentleman who is a professor.
(c) The master of ceremonies.
(d) No one.
5. Whom does everyone seem to gather around at the party?
(a) Charles Thompson.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
6. Why is Hadley in mourning?
(a) Her mother has just died.
(b) She just miscarried.
(c) Her father has just died.
(d) Her brother has just died.
7. What does Hadley think will help take her mind off her grief?
(a) Writing a book about her mother.
(c) Having a drink and dancing a little.
(d) Going to Europe.
This section contains 4,606 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)