Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love is central to The Painted Veil and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Kitty's initial love for Charlie.
b) Walter's love for Kitty.
c) Charlie's love for Kitty.
d) Waddington's love for his mistress.
e) Mother Superior's love for God.
f) Kitty's love for her father.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)