|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
2. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
3. What does Sister St. Joseph like to discuss with Kitty?
4. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
5. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
2. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
3. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
4. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
5. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
6. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
7. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
8. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
9. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
10. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)