|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
2. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
3. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
4. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
5. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
2. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
3. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
6. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
7. How does Waddington describe Walter?
8. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
9. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
10. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Painted Veil. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel we only receive third-person information about Walter. Using specific descriptions from Kitty and others of Walter, discuss his development as a character. Be sure to reference how his actions in the plot, his dialogue and these third-person descriptions of his emotions and physical appearance support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)