Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Early on in the novel, Kitty describes the circumstances leading up to her marriage with Walter. Shortly after the marriage she notes that she became bored and unhappy, however this reflection comes after she is embroiled in an adulterous affair with Charlie. What does this deliberate time-line established by Maugham suggest to the reader about Kitty's impartiality on the subject? Use specific events in her courtship with Walter and in her affair with Charlie to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)