|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
2. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
3. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
4. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
5. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
2. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
4. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
5. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
6. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
7. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
8. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
9. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
10. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Kitty's views of Charlie change drastically, however, Charlie's views of Kitty remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these views differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Painted Veil. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Maugham in The Painted Veil is the use of irony. Give examples of where Maugham has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)