|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
2. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
3. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
4. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
5. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
2. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
3. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
4. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
5. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
6. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
7. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
8. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
9. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
10. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Painted Veil, Maugham uses scenic imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Kitty's views of Charlie change drastically, however, Charlie's views of Kitty remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these views differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)