|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
2. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
3. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
4. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
5. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
2. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
3. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
4. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
5. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
6. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
7. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
8. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
9. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
10. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)