|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
2. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
3. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
4. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
5. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
2. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
3. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
4. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
5. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
6. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
7. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
8. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
9. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
10. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within The Painted Veil. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)