|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
2. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
3. Who does Waddington live with?
4. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
5. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
2. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
3. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
4. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
5. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
6. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
7. How does Waddington describe Walter?
8. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
9. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
10. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)