|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
2. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
3. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
4. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
5. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
2. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
3. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
4. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
5. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
6. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
7. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
8. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
9. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
10. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The Painted Veil, Maugham uses scenic imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 3
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)