|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
2. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
3. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
4. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
5. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
2. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
3. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
4. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
5. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
6. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
7. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
8. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
9. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
10. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is W. Somerset Maugham's writing-style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)