Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)