|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Painted Veil, Maugham uses scenic imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)