|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
2. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
3. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
4. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
5. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
2. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
3. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
4. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
5. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
6. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
7. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
8. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
9. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
10. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duty is a theme throughout The Painted Veil. Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Maugham create an overarching definition of what duty is?
Essay Topic 2
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
Essay Topic 3
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)