|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
2. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
3. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
4. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
5. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
Essay Topic 1
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)