Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 2
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
Essay Topic 3
Early on in the novel, Kitty describes the circumstances leading up to her marriage with Walter. Shortly after the marriage she notes that she became bored and unhappy, however this reflection comes after she is embroiled in an adulterous affair with Charlie. What does this deliberate time-line established by Maugham suggest to the reader about Kitty's impartiality on the subject? Use specific events in her courtship with Walter and in her affair with Charlie to back up your assertions.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)