|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
4. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
5. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Painted Veil. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)