|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
2. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
3. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
4. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
5. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
2. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
3. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
4. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
5. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
6. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
7. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
8. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
9. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
10. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Duty is a theme throughout The Painted Veil. Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Maugham create an overarching definition of what duty is?
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)