|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
2. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
3. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
4. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
5. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Maugham in The Painted Veil is the use of irony. Give examples of where Maugham has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)