|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
2. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
3. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
5. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Maugham in The Painted Veil is the use of irony. Give examples of where Maugham has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is W. Somerset Maugham's writing-style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)