|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
2. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
3. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
5. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Painted Veil. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)