|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
2. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
3. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
4. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
5. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
2. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
3. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
4. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
5. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
6. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
7. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
8. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
9. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
10. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Kitty's views of Charlie change drastically, however, Charlie's views of Kitty remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these views differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 3
Duty is a theme throughout The Painted Veil. Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Maugham create an overarching definition of what duty is?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)