|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
2. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
3. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
4. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
5. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
2. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
3. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
4. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
5. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
6. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
7. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
8. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
9. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
10. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)