|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What determines Kitty's social position in Hong Kong?
2. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
3. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
4. How old is Charlie?
5. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
2. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
3. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
4. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
5. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
6. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
7. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
8. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
9. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
10. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What is W. Somerset Maugham's writing-style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 1,699 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)