|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
2. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
3. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
4. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
5. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
2. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
3. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
4. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
5. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
6. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
7. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
8. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
9. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
10. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 3
What is W. Somerset Maugham's writing-style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)