|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
2. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
3. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
4. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
5. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
2. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
3. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
4. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
5. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
6. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
7. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
8. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
9. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
10. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Maugham in The Painted Veil is the use of irony. Give examples of where Maugham has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel we only receive third-person information about Walter. Using specific descriptions from Kitty and others of Walter, discuss his development as a character. Be sure to reference how his actions in the plot, his dialogue and these third-person descriptions of his emotions and physical appearance support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)