|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
2. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
3. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
4. What color are Charlie's eyes?
5. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
2. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
3. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
4. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
5. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
6. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
7. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
8. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
9. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
10. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love is central to The Painted Veil and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Kitty's initial love for Charlie.
b) Walter's love for Kitty.
c) Charlie's love for Kitty.
d) Waddington's love for his mistress.
e) Mother Superior's love for God.
f) Kitty's love for her father.
Essay Topic 3
Duty is a theme throughout The Painted Veil. Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Maugham create an overarching definition of what duty is?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)