|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the current Colonial Secretary?
2. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
3. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
4. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
5. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
2. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
3. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
4. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
5. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
6. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
7. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
8. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
9. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
10. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel we only receive third-person information about Walter. Using specific descriptions from Kitty and others of Walter, discuss his development as a character. Be sure to reference how his actions in the plot, his dialogue and these third-person descriptions of his emotions and physical appearance support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)