|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
2. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
3. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
4. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
5. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
2. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
3. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
4. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
5. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
6. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
7. Why does Dorothy want Kitty to come and stay with her and Charlie?
8. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
9. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
10. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
Essay Topic 1
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
Essay Topic 2
What is W. Somerset Maugham's writing-style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,749 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)