|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
2. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
3. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
4. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
5. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
2. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
4. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
5. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
6. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
7. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
8. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
9. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
10. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
This section contains 1,686 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)