|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
2. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
3. What is the name of the current Colonial Secretary?
4. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
5. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
2. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
3. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
4. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
5. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
6. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
7. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
8. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
9. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
10. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love is central to The Painted Veil and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Kitty's initial love for Charlie.
b) Walter's love for Kitty.
c) Charlie's love for Kitty.
d) Waddington's love for his mistress.
e) Mother Superior's love for God.
f) Kitty's love for her father.
Essay Topic 3
In the preface Maugham discusses how he was inspired by a plot line in Dante's Purgatorio due to its modern elements. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that: The Painted Veil is a modern plot? Specifically discuss why or why not it is relevant and applicable to today's society and if it is accessible to the reader.
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)