|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
2. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
3. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
4. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
5. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
2. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
3. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
4. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
5. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
6. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
7. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
8. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
9. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
10. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duty is a theme throughout The Painted Veil. Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Maugham create an overarching definition of what duty is?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, The Painted Veil, Kitty makes several journeys. Discuss these journeys and how they function as a metaphor, a simile, or an allegory for the emotional journeys and progress she makes as a character throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)