|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
2. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
3. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
4. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
5. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
2. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
3. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
4. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
5. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
6. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
7. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
8. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
9. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
10. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love is central to The Painted Veil and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Kitty's initial love for Charlie.
b) Walter's love for Kitty.
c) Charlie's love for Kitty.
d) Waddington's love for his mistress.
e) Mother Superior's love for God.
f) Kitty's love for her father.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel Waddington makes a statement that he enjoys talking to Kitty because,"you (Kitty) and I (Waddington) are the only people here who walk quite quietly and peaceably on solid ground. The nuns walk in heaven and your husband-- in darkness." Explain what Waddington meant by this statement. Do you believe that this is an accurate analogy of the characters. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within The Painted Veil. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)