|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
2. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
3. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
4. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
5. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
2. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
3. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
4. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
5. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
6. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
7. How does Waddington describe Walter?
8. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
9. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
10. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
Essay Topic 1
A recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by Kitty, Charlie and Walter and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love is central to The Painted Veil and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Kitty's initial love for Charlie.
b) Walter's love for Kitty.
c) Charlie's love for Kitty.
d) Waddington's love for his mistress.
e) Mother Superior's love for God.
f) Kitty's love for her father.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
This section contains 1,815 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)