|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
2. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
3. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
4. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
5. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
2. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
3. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
4. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
5. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
6. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
7. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
8. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
9. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
10. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Painted Veil, Maugham uses scenic imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of the novel Kitty emerges a very different character from the way she is portrayed in the beginning. Through the development of her character is Maugham setting forth a moral or just bringing up different themes? Take one standpoint and defend your assertions with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within The Painted Veil. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)