|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
2. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
3. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
4. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
5. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
2. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
3. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
4. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
5. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
6. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
7. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
8. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
9. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
10. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point-of-view utilized by Maugham in The Painted Veil. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Maugham selected the view he did and what influences the point-of-view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Painted Veil. Compare and contrast Kitty and Walter's marriage with Charlie and Dorothy's marriage or Mr. and Mrs. Garstin's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)