|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
2. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
3. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
4. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
5. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
2. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
3. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
4. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
5. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
6. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
7. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
8. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
9. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
10. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Maugham in The Painted Veil is the use of irony. Give examples of where Maugham has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel we only receive third-person information about Walter. Using specific descriptions from Kitty and others of Walter, discuss his development as a character. Be sure to reference how his actions in the plot, his dialogue and these third-person descriptions of his emotions and physical appearance support your conclusion.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)