|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
2. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
3. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
4. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
5. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
2. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
3. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
4. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
5. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
6. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
7. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
8. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
9. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
10. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Maugham sets forth different views on the purpose of life as given by several characters. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose of life by two or more characters. Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not Maugham selects one as being THE view on the purpose of life.
Essay Topic 2
One recurrent theme in The Painted Veil is the importance of respect, especially in regard to the character of Kitty. Discuss what Kitty's idea of respect is and how that idea is influenced by secondary characters such as Waddington, Mother Superior, and Dorothy. Discuss how Kitty's idea of respect evolves throughout the novel, using specific textual examples of how this is manifested.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel we only receive third-person information about Walter. Using specific descriptions from Kitty and others of Walter, discuss his development as a character. Be sure to reference how his actions in the plot, his dialogue and these third-person descriptions of his emotions and physical appearance support your conclusion.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)