|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
2. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
3. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
4. Where does Walter propose to Kitty?
5. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
2. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
3. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
4. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
5. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
6. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
7. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
8. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
9. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
10. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Painted Veil, Maugham uses scenic imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
When Kitty meets Waddington's mistress she contemplates afterward that "the beliefs and the ideals of the West seemed crude beside ideals and beliefs of which in this exquisite creature she seemed to catch a fugitive glimpse." How does this statement reflect an overarching theme between the relationship between West vs. East as portrayed in The Painted Veil?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within The Painted Veil. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)