|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(b) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
(c) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(d) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) The crow of a bird.
(c) Walter rousing her.
(d) The crying of a servant.
3. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) She had received bad news from home.
(b) Another nun had died during the night.
(c) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(d) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
4. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(b) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
(c) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(d) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
5. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(b) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
(c) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(d) She finds it restful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
2. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
3. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
4. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
5. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
2. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
4. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
5. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
6. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
7. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
8. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
9. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
10. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)