|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) Charlie Townsend.
(b) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(c) The Governor.
(d) The Curio Shop owner.
2. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(b) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(c) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(d) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
3. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
4. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He doesn't find them very devoted.
(b) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(c) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
(d) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
(a) He thinks she's very flirtatious.
(b) He thinks she's well-bred and able.
(c) He thinks she's extremely beautiful.
(d) He thinks she's cold and unfeeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
2. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
5. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
2. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
3. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
4. How does Waddington describe Walter?
5. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
6. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
7. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
8. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
9. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
10. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)