|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
(a) They are afraid of her pale skin.
(b) They are upset at her intrusion and ignore her presence.
(c) They like her and come to her with concerns.
(d) The like to watch her, but are too nervous to get close to her.
2. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) She had received bad news from home.
(b) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(c) Another nun had died during the night.
(d) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
3. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) The children break a piece of furniture.
(b) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(c) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(d) A child is howling in pain.
4. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) An archway memorial for the dead.
(b) A beautiful bridge.
(c) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
(d) A picturesque waterfall.
5. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) He is very dirty and unclean.
(b) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(c) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(d) She notices his hair has turned gray.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
2. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
3. Where is Walter buried?
4. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
5. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
2. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
3. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
4. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
5. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
6. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
7. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
8. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
9. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
10. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)