|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(c) He offers her forgiveness.
(d) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
2. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
(b) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She sings and is good at math.
3. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She tells Kitty of her first love.
(b) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(c) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
(d) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
4. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(b) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(c) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(d) He is very dirty and unclean.
5. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(b) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
(c) They are curious and excited.
(d) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
3. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
4. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
5. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
2. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
4. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
5. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
6. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
7. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
8. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
9. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
10. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)