|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
(b) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(c) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
(d) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
2. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(b) Another nun had died during the night.
(c) She had received bad news from home.
(d) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
3. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her long elegant hands.
(b) Her small ears.
(c) Her very large eyes.
(d) Her long and glossy hair.
4. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
(a) Mother Superior.
(b) Colonel Yu.
5. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(b) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(c) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
(d) She finds it restful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Waddington live with?
2. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
3. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
4. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
5. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
2. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
4. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
5. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
6. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
7. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
8. How does Waddington describe Walter?
9. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
10. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)