|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
(a) Waddington insists that Kitty shouldn't see it.
(b) Walter has forbidden the nuns from showing it to Kitty.
(c) They are embarrassed by its untidiness.
(d) She thinks the scene is too much for Kitty.
2. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(b) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(c) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
(d) She is more kind and friendly with her.
3. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) He doesn't know.
(c) At first.
4. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) Charlie Townsend.
(b) The Governor.
(c) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(d) The Curio Shop owner.
5. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to give her a kiss.
(b) She asks him to forgive himself.
(c) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(d) She asks for forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
2. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
3. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
4. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
5. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
2. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
3. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
4. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
5. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
6. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
7. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
8. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
9. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
10. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)