|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is elated.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is afraid.
2. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(b) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(c) She is afraid she has cholera.
(d) She receives some bad news about Walter.
3. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is envious of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is proud of him.
4. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) Walter rousing her.
(c) The crying of a servant.
(d) The crow of a bird.
5. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) The beginning signs of cholera.
(b) Incredible guilt.
(c) A headache.
(d) A broken heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
2. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
3. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
4. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
5. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
2. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
3. How does Waddington describe Walter?
4. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
5. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
6. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
7. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
8. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
9. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
10. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)