|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Walter buried?
(a) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(b) His body is sent back to England.
(c) He is cremated.
(d) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
2. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
3. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He died.
(b) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
(c) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
(d) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
4. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(b) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(c) He is very dirty and unclean.
(d) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
5. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
(a) She cannot remember what he looks like.
(b) She thinks he is handsome, but she is not attracted to him.
(c) She still finds herself attracted to him.
(d) She finds him unattractive and even repulsive.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
2. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
3. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
4. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
5. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
2. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
3. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
6. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
7. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
8. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
9. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
10. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)