|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
(a) He despises his inadequacies in helping the sick.
(b) He despises himself for wanting Kitty to die.
(c) He despises his previous love for Kitty.
(d) He despises his shyness.
2. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(a) Sister St. Joseph.
(b) Mother Superior.
3. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is elated.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is afraid.
4. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(b) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(c) We'll get a divorce.
(d) We'll go on living together.
5. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(b) He tells her he despises himself.
(c) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(d) He tells her he despises himself and her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
2. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
3. Where is Walter buried?
4. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
5. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
3. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
6. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
7. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
8. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
9. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
10. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)