|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is afraid.
(d) She is elated.
2. What does Sister St. Joseph like to discuss with Kitty?
(c) The children.
(d) The developments in the cholera epidemic.
3. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(c) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(d) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
4. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She finds it refreshing.
(b) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(c) She is annoyed by it.
(d) She doesn't notice it.
5. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(b) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(c) Walter is very fluent in French.
(d) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
2. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
3. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
5. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
2. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
3. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
4. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
5. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
6. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
7. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
8. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
9. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
10. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)