|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Governor.
(b) Charlie Townsend.
(c) The Curio Shop owner.
(d) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
2. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
(a) He thinks she's well-bred and able.
(b) He thinks she's cold and unfeeling.
(c) He thinks she's very flirtatious.
(d) He thinks she's extremely beautiful.
3. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) They house several sick invalids.
(b) The rarely bathe or wash.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) They eat raw meat.
4. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(b) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(c) He tells her he despises himself and her.
(d) He tells her he despises himself.
5. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
(a) From spending so much time with the sick.
(b) From drinking unsanitary water.
(c) From experimenting on himself.
(d) From eating salad.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
2. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
3. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
4. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
5. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
2. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
3. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
4. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
5. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
6. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
7. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
8. How does Waddington describe Walter?
9. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
10. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)