|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Walter buried?
(a) He is cremated.
(b) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(c) His body is sent back to England.
(d) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
2. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
(a) She's afraid Kitty is too weak and pale to work.
(b) Kitty is a Protestant, not Catholic.
(c) She's afraid Waddington would disapprove.
(d) She does not think Chinese officials will allow it.
3. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(b) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(c) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
(d) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
4. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(b) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(c) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(d) Walter is very fluent in French.
5. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
(b) He died.
(c) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
(d) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
2. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
3. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
4. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
5. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
2. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
3. How does Waddington describe Walter?
4. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
5. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
6. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
7. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
8. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
9. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
10. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)