|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
(b) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
(c) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
(d) He died.
2. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(b) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(c) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
(d) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
3. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) He lives by himself.
(b) He lives with his brother and his wife.
(c) A Manchu lady.
(d) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
4. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(b) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
(c) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(d) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
5. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(b) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
(c) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(d) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
2. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
3. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
4. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
5. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)