|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A cross of dahlias.
2. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
(b) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
(c) Her family waving from the harbor.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
3. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(b) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(c) Walter is very fluent in French.
(d) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(b) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(c) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(d) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
5. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She doesn't notice it.
(b) She finds it refreshing.
(c) She is annoyed by it.
(d) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
2. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
3. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
4. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
5. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
2. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
3. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
4. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
5. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
6. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
7. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
8. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
9. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
10. How does Waddington describe Walter?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)