|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She teaches English to the nuns.
(b) She helps with the laundry.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
2. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) He lives with his brother and his wife.
(b) He lives by himself.
(c) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(d) A Manchu lady.
3. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
(a) Political gossip.
(b) The latest war news.
(c) The musuems.
(d) The theatre.
4. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(b) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
(c) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(d) He doesn't find them very devoted.
5. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
(b) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(c) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(d) She finds it dreary and depressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
2. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
5. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
2. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
3. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
4. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
5. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
6. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
7. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
8. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
9. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
10. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)