|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Walter buried?
(a) He is cremated.
(b) His body is sent back to England.
(c) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(d) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
2. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
(b) He never drinks and despises liquor.
(c) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
(d) He uses liquor medicinally.
3. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(b) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(c) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(d) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
4. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(b) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(c) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
(d) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
5. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll get a divorce.
(b) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(c) We'll go on living together.
(d) We'll let the future take care of itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
2. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
3. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
4. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
5. Who does Waddington live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
2. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
3. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
4. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
5. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
6. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
7. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
8. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
9. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
10. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)