|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Listen to music and relax.
(b) Work in his laboratory.
(c) Return to the infirmary to tend to the sick.
(d) Go to sleep.
2. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
(a) Bedroom slippers.
(b) A small painting.
(c) A supply of opium.
(d) A jade bracelet.
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) A broken heart.
(b) A headache.
(c) The beginning signs of cholera.
(d) Incredible guilt.
4. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Conversing with Kitty.
(b) Exploring the countryside.
(c) Practicing the guitar.
5. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(b) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(c) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(d) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
2. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
3. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
4. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
5. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
3. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
6. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
7. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
8. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
9. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
10. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)