|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Feed them.
(b) Baptize them.
(c) Innocluate them against cholera.
(d) Sing to them.
2. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
(a) He thinks she's cold and unfeeling.
(b) He thinks she's very flirtatious.
(c) He thinks she's well-bred and able.
(d) He thinks she's extremely beautiful.
3. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is elated.
4. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(b) She sings and is good at math.
(c) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(d) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
5. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(b) She is envious of him.
(c) She is proud of him.
(d) She is disappointed in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
2. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
3. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
4. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
5. Where is Walter buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
3. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
4. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
5. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
6. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
7. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
8. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
9. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
10. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)