|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Practicing the guitar.
(c) Exploring the countryside.
(d) Conversing with Kitty.
2. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) The rarely bathe or wash.
(b) They eat raw meat.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) They house several sick invalids.
3. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
(b) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(c) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(d) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
4. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A little boy crying for his mother.
(b) A snake across the roadway.
(c) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(d) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
5. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She doesn't know.
(b) She refuses to answer.
(c) She tells him it is his.
(d) She tells him it is Charlie's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
2. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
3. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
2. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
3. How does Waddington describe Walter?
4. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
5. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
6. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
7. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
8. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
9. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
10. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)