|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(d) Kitty doesn't know.
2. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She teaches English to the nuns.
(b) She helps with the laundry.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
3. Where is Walter buried?
(a) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(b) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(c) He is cremated.
(d) His body is sent back to England.
4. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Conversing with Kitty.
(c) Exploring the countryside.
(d) Practicing the guitar.
5. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(b) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(c) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(d) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
2. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
3. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
4. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
5. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
2. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
3. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
6. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
7. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
8. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
9. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
10. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)