|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French bread called baquettes.
(b) French crepes.
(c) French cakes called Madeleines.
(d) A type of French goat cheese.
2. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(b) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(c) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
(d) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
3. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A cross of dahlias.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A picture of Jesus.
(d) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
4. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
(a) She doesn't regret her actions.
(b) She doesn't want Mother Superior to think ill of her.
(c) The language barrier prohibits Kitty from telling Mother Superior her feelings and circumstances.
(d) Walter has forbidden her from telling Mother Superior.
5. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(b) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(c) She is afraid she has cholera.
(d) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
2. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
3. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
5. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe the city of Mei-tan-fu as she is carried to Walter's deathbed?
2. What are Kitty's initial feelings towards the young orphan children and do her feelings change over time?
3. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
4. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
5. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
6. How does Waddington describe Walter?
7. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
8. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
9. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
10. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)