|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(b) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(c) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(d) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
2. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(c) He offers her forgiveness.
(d) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) The beginning signs of cholera.
(b) A headache.
(c) A broken heart.
(d) Incredible guilt.
4. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(c) She is envious of him.
(d) She is disappointed in him.
5. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
(a) She still finds herself attracted to him.
(b) She cannot remember what he looks like.
(c) She finds him unattractive and even repulsive.
(d) She thinks he is handsome, but she is not attracted to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
2. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
3. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
4. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
5. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
2. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
3. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
4. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
5. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
6. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Sister St. Joseph?
7. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
8. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
9. How does Waddington describe Walter?
10. How does Waddington describe his religious views to Kitty?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)