|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(b) She sings and is good at math.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
2. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(b) A little boy crying for his mother.
(c) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
(d) A snake across the roadway.
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) The beginning signs of cholera.
(b) A broken heart.
(c) Incredible guilt.
(d) A headache.
4. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Mother Superior.
(c) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(d) A new servant.
5. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He uses liquor medicinally.
(b) He never drinks and despises liquor.
(c) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
(d) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
2. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
3. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
4. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
5. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
3. How does Kitty describe the chapel at the convent?
4. What does Sister St. Joseph think about Waddington?
5. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
6. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
7. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
8. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
9. What are the first emotional hints that Kitty may be pregnant?
10. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)