|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
(a) Kitty is a Protestant, not Catholic.
(b) She does not think Chinese officials will allow it.
(c) She's afraid Kitty is too weak and pale to work.
(d) She's afraid Waddington would disapprove.
2. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(b) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(c) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
(d) He doesn't find them very devoted.
3. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Baptize them.
(b) Sing to them.
(c) Innocluate them against cholera.
(d) Feed them.
4. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She doesn't notice it.
(b) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(c) She is annoyed by it.
(d) She finds it refreshing.
5. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) At first.
(d) He doesn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
2. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
3. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
4. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
5. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
3. How does Waddington describe Walter?
4. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
5. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
6. When Kitty asks Waddington about immortality, what is his response?
7. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
8. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
9. Does Sister St. Joseph want to return to France? Why or why not?
10. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)