|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She despises him.
(b) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She is indifferent to him.
2. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(b) Her mother threatens to disown her.
(c) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
(d) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
3. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A bear.
4. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a professor of medicine.
(b) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
(c) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(d) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
5. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
(a) A delivery person.
(b) Kitty's husband.
(c) The amah, or Chinese servant.
(d) Kitty's pet dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
2. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
3. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
4. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
5. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
2. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
3. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
4. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
5. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
6. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
7. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
8. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
9. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
10. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)