|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(b) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
(c) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
(d) She is too nervous to go to his office.
2. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(b) She is deeply in love with him.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She is constantly angry with him.
3. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(b) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(c) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(d) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
4. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
(a) He likes to be in control of the direction of the conversation.
(b) He doesn't want Kitty to know about his past.
(c) He cannot remember the things she asks him about.
(d) It bores him to talk about himself.
5. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He prefers to sing solos.
(b) He is self-conscious.
(c) He disapproves of singing.
(d) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
2. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
3. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
4. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
5. What position does Charlie hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
2. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
3. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
4. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
5. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
6. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
7. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
8. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
9. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
10. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)