|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
(a) He is very jovial and out-going.
(b) He is very shy and quiet.
(c) He has a nasty temper.
(d) He is very good at making witty remarks.
2. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(b) He thinks it is very generous.
(c) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
(d) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
3. What position does Charlie hold?
(b) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
(c) Colonial Governor.
(d) King's Counsel.
4. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
(b) She heard a commotion outside.
(c) She hears someone calling for her.
(d) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
5. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(d) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
2. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
3. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
4. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
5. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
2. How does Kitty regard her indiscretion with Townsend?
3. After visiting the convent what type of relationship does Kitty want with Walter?
4. Why does Dorothy want Kitty to come and stay with her and Charlie?
5. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
6. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
7. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
8. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
9. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
10. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)