|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
(a) They quarrel constantly.
(b) They are completely indifferent to each other.
(c) They are excellent friends.
(d) They are happily in love.
2. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
(a) He is happy with how they ended and congratulates himself.
(b) He is angry at her accusations.
(c) He is relieved and wants a brandy.
(d) He is worried his wife will find out and immediately phones her.
3. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A drink of brandy.
(b) A small photograph of himself.
(c) A comforting shawl.
(d) A love note.
4. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) A bright red kimono.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her pale blue dancing gown.
(d) A pale yellow dress.
5. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Divorce Kitty.
(b) Do nothing or ignore it.
(c) Try to get Charlie fired.
(d) Alert Charlie's spouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
2. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
3. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
4. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
5. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
2. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
3. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
4. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
5. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
6. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
7. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
8. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
9. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
10. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)