|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the current Colonial Secretary?
2. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(b) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
(c) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(d) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
3. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She is quiet and unassuming.
(b) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
(c) She is an expert at small talk.
(d) She is good at settling disagreements.
4. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
5. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(b) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
(c) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
(d) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
2. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
3. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
4. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
5. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one thing does Kitty desire to do for Walter?
2. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
3. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
4. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
5. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
6. After visiting the convent, why does Kitty feel so unhappy back at the bungalow.
7. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
8. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
9. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
10. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)