|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Walter propose to Kitty?
(a) At a social dance.
(b) The park.
(c) In a restaurant.
(d) In her sitting room.
2. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
(a) At his home.
(b) At the curio shop.
(c) At his office.
(d) At a favorite restaurant.
3. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
4. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
(b) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
(c) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(d) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
5. What type of books does Walter like to read?
(a) Romance novels.
(b) Historical works and books about China.
(c) Poetry and contemporary literature.
(d) Mystery stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
2. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
3. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
4. What item does Charlie leave downstairs during his rendezvous with Kitty in Chapter 1?
5. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
2. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
3. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
4. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
5. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
6. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
7. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
8. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
9. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
10. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)