|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful hostess.
(b) She is a wonderful mother.
(c) She is extremely attractive.
(d) She has marvelous fashion sense.
2. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) His office.
(b) Her house.
(c) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(d) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
3. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) Her mother threatens to disown her.
(b) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
(c) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(d) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
4. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Haughty conceit.
(c) Mortal sadness.
(d) Intense anger.
5. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(b) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
(c) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
(d) There is a cholera epidemic there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
2. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
3. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
4. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
5. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
2. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
3. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
4. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
5. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
6. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
7. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
8. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
9. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
10. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)