|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
2. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
(b) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(c) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
(d) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
3. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) A pale yellow dress.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) A bright red kimono.
(d) Her pale blue dancing gown.
4. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
(b) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(c) Court rooms make him nervous.
(d) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
5. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
(b) Her house.
(c) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(d) His office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
2. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
3. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
4. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
5. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
2. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
3. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
4. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
5. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
6. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
7. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
8. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
9. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
10. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)