|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
(b) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
(c) That she is going to file for divorce.
(d) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
2. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(b) He is having an affair of his own.
(c) He has grown tired of her.
(d) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
3. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He disapproves of singing.
(b) He is self-conscious.
(c) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
(d) He prefers to sing solos.
4. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will file a petition for divorce.
(c) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(d) He will go alone.
5. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
(a) The Peak.
(b) Providence Heights.
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Victoria Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
2. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
3. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
4. What type of books does Walter like to read?
5. What instrument does Charlie play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
2. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
3. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
4. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
5. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
6. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
7. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
8. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
9. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
10. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)