|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She is good at settling disagreements.
(b) She is an expert at small talk.
(c) She is quiet and unassuming.
(d) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
2. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A comforting shawl.
(b) A small photograph of himself.
(c) A drink of brandy.
(d) A love note.
3. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
4. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
(a) She thinks he is a fair, but undistinguished dancer.
(b) She thinks he is a terrible dancer.
(c) She thinks he is the best dancer she had ever partnered.
(d) She doesn't know as he refuses to dance with her.
5. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
(b) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(c) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(d) She likes irritating her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
3. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
4. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
5. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
2. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
3. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
4. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
5. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
6. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
7. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
8. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
9. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
10. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)