|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Try to get Charlie fired.
(b) Do nothing or ignore it.
(c) Divorce Kitty.
(d) Alert Charlie's spouse.
2. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
(b) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
(c) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
(d) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
3. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A lion.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A bear.
4. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She is too nervous to go to his office.
(b) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
(c) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(d) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
5. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) She heard a commotion outside.
(b) She hears someone calling for her.
(c) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
(d) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Walter's occupation?
2. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
3. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
4. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
5. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
2. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
3. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
4. As Waddington tells Kitty about Chinese history and novels, how does Kitty's perception of the Chinese change?
5. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
6. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
7. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
8. How does Kitty feel when she realizes she is no longer in love with Charlie?
9. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
10. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)