|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
2. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
(a) To invite over a friend.
(b) To sit tight.
(c) To leave the house immediately.
(d) To call Walter and tell a small lie.
3. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(b) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
(c) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(d) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
4. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She is indifferent to him.
(b) She despises him.
(c) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
(d) She adores him.
5. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
(a) He wasn't sure exactly at that time Charlie was with Kitty.
(b) He was afraid Charlie would beat him up.
(c) Walter says he was too proud to fight.
(d) Walter likes Charlie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
2. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
3. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
4. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
5. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
2. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
3. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
4. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
5. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
6. Describe Charlie Townsend and why Kitty is initially attracted to him when she meets him at the social function.
7. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
8. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
9. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
10. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)