|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Mortal sadness.
(c) Intense anger.
(d) Haughty conceit.
2. What color are Charlie's eyes?
3. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
4. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(b) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(c) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
(d) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
5. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
(a) She thinks he is the best dancer she had ever partnered.
(b) She thinks he is a terrible dancer.
(c) She doesn't know as he refuses to dance with her.
(d) She thinks he is a fair, but undistinguished dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
2. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
3. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
4. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
5. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
2. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
3. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
4. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
5. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
6. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
7. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
8. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
9. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
10. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)