|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
(a) To study his life.
(b) To ask him numerous questions.
(c) To spend a great deal of time with him.
(d) To put yourself in his shoes.
2. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A comforting shawl.
(b) A drink of brandy.
(c) A love note.
(d) A small photograph of himself.
3. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(b) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(c) She likes irritating her mother.
(d) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
4. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Do nothing or ignore it.
(b) Try to get Charlie fired.
(c) Divorce Kitty.
(d) Alert Charlie's spouse.
5. What instrument does Charlie play?
(a) He does not play an instrument.
(b) The harp.
(c) The violin.
(d) The piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
2. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
3. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
4. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
5. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
2. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
3. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
4. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
5. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
6. How many reasons does Charlie give for a potentially calm reaction from Walter upon finding out about their rendezvous?
7. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
8. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
9. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
10. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)