|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
(a) He was afraid Charlie would beat him up.
(b) He wasn't sure exactly at that time Charlie was with Kitty.
(c) Walter says he was too proud to fight.
(d) Walter likes Charlie.
2. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
(b) She hears someone calling for her.
(c) She heard a commotion outside.
(d) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
3. How old is Charlie?
4. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three years.
(c) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(d) Three days.
5. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He lives primarily from investments.
(b) He is a government bacteriologist.
(c) He is an attorney.
(d) He is a successful businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
2. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
3. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
4. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
5. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
2. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
3. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
4. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
5. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
6. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
7. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
8. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
9. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
10. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)