|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
(a) He thinks Walter is extremely conceited.
(b) He finds Walter highly intelligent.
(c) He finds Walter very boring.
(d) He thinks Walter is very rude.
2. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) They go abroad to different countries.
(b) A bustling village by the sea.
(c) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
(d) They stay in London.
3. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
(a) The Governor.
(b) A distinguished general.
4. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She is good at settling disagreements.
(b) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
(c) She is quiet and unassuming.
(d) She is an expert at small talk.
5. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) Walter Fane.
(b) William Foster.
(c) Geoffrey Dennison.
(d) Bernard Garstin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
2. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
3. How old is Charlie?
4. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
5. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
2. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
3. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
4. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
5. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
6. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
7. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
8. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
9. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
10. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)