|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
(a) To invite over a friend.
(b) To leave the house immediately.
(c) To sit tight.
(d) To call Walter and tell a small lie.
2. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
(b) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(c) The time has come for him to return to work.
(d) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
3. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(c) He will file a petition for divorce.
(d) He will go alone.
4. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she is expecting a baby.
(b) That she has begun an illicit affair.
(c) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
(d) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
5. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
(a) She feels no different than before.
(b) She is sad and distracted.
(c) She is confused and upset at the circumstances.
(d) She is intensely guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
2. How old is Charlie?
3. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
4. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
5. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
2. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
3. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
4. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
5. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
6. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
8. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
9. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
10. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)