|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(b) The time has come for him to return to work.
(c) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(d) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
2. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
(b) Charlie's office.
(c) The house of a curio dealer.
(d) The cottage of a friend.
3. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
(a) He is wearing spectacles.
(b) He is very informally attired.
(c) He is wearing a pin that his wife gave him.
(d) He is dressed for a polo game.
4. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He is self-conscious.
(b) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
(c) He prefers to sing solos.
(d) He disapproves of singing.
5. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(b) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(c) A note from Walter with a book.
(d) Her lost cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
2. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
3. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
4. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
5. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waddington describe Dorothy Townsend?
2. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
3. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
4. How does Kitty describe Waddington's Manchu mistress?
5. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
6. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
7. Why does Dorothy want Kitty to come and stay with her and Charlie?
8. How does Waddington describe Charlie Townsend?
9. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
10. How does Kitty describe Mother Superior's appearance?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)