|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
(b) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
(c) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
(d) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
2. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(b) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
(c) At a government ball.
(d) At a dinner held at his house.
3. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
(a) Walter likes Charlie.
(b) He was afraid Charlie would beat him up.
(c) Walter says he was too proud to fight.
(d) He wasn't sure exactly at that time Charlie was with Kitty.
4. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(b) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
(c) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
(d) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
5. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(b) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(c) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(d) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
2. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
3. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
4. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
5. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
2. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
3. After Mother Superior agrees to let Kitty work in the convent, what advice does she give her?
4. Why doesn't Kitty lie to Walter when he asks her if he is the father of the baby?
5. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
6. How does Kitty describe her first impression of Waddington?
7. How does Waddington try and comfort Kitty about Walter's death?
8. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
9. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
10. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)