|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) They go abroad to different countries.
(b) A bustling village by the sea.
(c) They stay in London.
(d) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
2. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) A bed.
(c) The floor.
(d) A sandalwood chest.
3. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He lives primarily from investments.
(b) He is a successful businessman.
(c) He is a government bacteriologist.
(d) He is an attorney.
4. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
(a) She is intensely guilty.
(b) She is sad and distracted.
(c) She feels no different than before.
(d) She is confused and upset at the circumstances.
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(b) She is constantly angry with him.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She is deeply in love with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
2. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
3. What position does Charlie hold?
4. What color are Charlie's eyes?
5. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
2. Describe Mr.Garstin's appearance as noted by Kitty in Chapter 6.
3. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
4. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
5. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
6. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
7. Describe Dorothy Townsend's appearance as given by Kitty in Chapter 3.
8. In Chapter 1, what tools does Charlie use to reassure Kitty and why are they effective?
9. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
10. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)