|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
(a) He is happy with how they ended and congratulates himself.
(b) He is angry at her accusations.
(c) He is worried his wife will find out and immediately phones her.
(d) He is relieved and wants a brandy.
2. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks it is very generous.
(b) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
(c) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(d) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
3. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He has grown tired of her.
(b) He is having an affair of his own.
(c) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(d) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
4. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
(a) He was afraid Charlie would beat him up.
(b) Walter likes Charlie.
(c) Walter says he was too proud to fight.
(d) He wasn't sure exactly at that time Charlie was with Kitty.
5. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
(b) Court rooms make him nervous.
(c) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(d) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
2. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
3. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
4. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
5. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
2. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
3. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
4. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
5. How does Kitty describe Walter's appearance in Chapter 10?
6. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
7. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
8. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
9. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
10. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)