|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(b) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(c) The believe he has been working too hard.
(d) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
2. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful mother.
(b) She is extremely attractive.
(c) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(d) She is a wonderful hostess.
3. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She adores him.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
4. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(b) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
(c) She likes irritating her mother.
(d) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
5. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will file a petition for divorce.
(c) He will go alone.
(d) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Charlie hold?
2. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
3. How old is Charlie?
4. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
5. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her affair with Charlie affect Kitty's appearance?
2. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
3. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
4. After Kitty describes Walter's polite and standoffish behavior in Chapter 20, why does Charlie become so confident and happy?
5. Why does Kitty believe her rendezvous with Charlie at the curio shop are completely safe?
6. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
7. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
8. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
9. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
10. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)