|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(b) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
(c) The believe he has been working too hard.
(d) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
2. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(b) A close friend asked him to change it.
(c) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(d) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
3. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
(a) His hankerchief.
(b) Her bag.
(c) A shoe horn.
(d) A flower.
4. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(b) He thinks it is very generous.
(c) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(d) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
5. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
(a) He thinks Walter is extremely conceited.
(b) He finds Walter highly intelligent.
(c) He finds Walter very boring.
(d) He thinks Walter is very rude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
2. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What is the name of the current Colonial Secretary?
4. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
5. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kitty feel her social position is lower in Hong Kong than it was at home in England?
2. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
3. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
4. When Walter first tells Kitty about going to Mei-tan-fu, what reasons does she give for not wanting to accompany him?
5. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
6. What physical feature of Mrs.Garstin does Kitty find most disconcerting and why?
7. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
8. What is the view from Kitty's home in Happy Valley?
9. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
10. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)