|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
(b) Court rooms make him nervous.
(c) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(d) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
2. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(b) Her lost cat.
(c) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(d) A note from Walter with a book.
3. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) It is difficult to remember.
(b) It reminds her of her mother.
(c) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
(d) She feels the name dates a person.
4. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
(b) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
(c) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(d) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
5. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) That she is going to file for divorce.
(b) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
(c) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
(d) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
2. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
3. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
4. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Kitty believe that Charlie remains with his wife?
2. Why is Mr.Garstin reluctant to take silk and become a K.C.?
3. After noting Charlie's response to Walter's ultimatum, what does she come to see was Walter's motivation in making it?
4. How does Kitty's love for Charlie initially change her perception of Walter?
5. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
6. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
7. Walter claims he knew that Kitty had no feelings for him when they married, why did he still want to marry her?
8. When Walter returns home, what clues lead Kitty to believe he knows about her affair?
9. When Kitty tells Charlie about Walter's ultimatum, what is his response?
10. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)