|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
(a) To put yourself in his shoes.
(b) To spend a great deal of time with him.
(c) To ask him numerous questions.
(d) To study his life.
2. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) He doesn't hear her.
(b) Small talk annoys him.
(c) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(d) He has nothing to say.
3. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
4. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(b) He is having an affair of his own.
(c) He has grown tired of her.
(d) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
5. What position does Charlie hold?
(a) Colonial Governor.
(b) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
(c) King's Counsel.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
2. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
3. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
4. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
5. What is Walter's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walter's behavior towards others at the dinner party in Chapter 21.
2. What two attributes does Mrs.Garstin display in the way she arranges her dinner parties?
3. Once they are married, what daily habits does Walter display that shows his affection for Kitty?
4. What was different about Maugham's writing process on The Painted Veil compared to his other works?
5. What reasons does Charlie give for wanting to remain married to Dorothy?
6. Why does Kitty claim to not care if Walter does "kick up a row" about her affair with Charlie?
7. What does Walter find humorous about Kitty's plan to marry Charlie upon her divorce from himself?
8. What pains does Charlie take to maintain his figure?
9. After they have been married for some time, why is Kitty surprised Walter ever fell in love with her?
10. What two physical attributes are described of Doris in Chapter 8?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)