|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
(a) He thinks she's extremely beautiful.
(b) He thinks she's cold and unfeeling.
(c) He thinks she's very flirtatious.
(d) He thinks she's well-bred and able.
2. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(b) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(c) She is afraid she has cholera.
(d) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) A headache.
(b) Incredible guilt.
(c) The beginning signs of cholera.
(d) A broken heart.
4. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She cares for smaller children.
(b) She works in the infirmary.
(c) She teaches English to the nuns.
(d) She helps with the laundry.
5. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
(a) Kitty is afraid of her.
(b) Sister St. Joseph does not speak English.
(c) Sister St. Joseph has taken a vow of silence.
(d) Sister St. Joseph is deaf.
6. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He uses liquor medicinally.
(b) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
(c) He never drinks and despises liquor.
(d) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
7. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
(a) An amah.
(b) Mother Superior.
(c) Colonel Yu.
8. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(c) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(d) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
9. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll get a divorce.
(b) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(c) We'll go on living together.
(d) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
10. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(b) Charlie Townsend.
(c) The Curio Shop owner.
(d) The Governor.
11. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(b) Sister St. Joseph.
(c) Mother Superior.
12. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(b) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(c) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(d) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
13. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The crying of a servant.
(b) The crow of a bird.
(c) Walter rousing her.
(d) A nightmare.
14. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French crepes.
(b) French cakes called Madeleines.
(c) French bread called baquettes.
(d) A type of French goat cheese.
15. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) They house several sick invalids.
(b) They eat raw meat.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) The rarely bathe or wash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
2. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
3. Where is Walter buried?
4. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
5. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)