|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
2. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her long elegant hands.
(b) Her very large eyes.
(c) Her long and glossy hair.
(d) Her small ears.
3. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
(a) Political gossip.
(b) The latest war news.
(c) The musuems.
(d) The theatre.
4. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
(a) Prepare meals.
(b) Scrub floors.
(c) Care for newborns.
(d) Redecorate the chapel.
5. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(c) A small amount of cash.
(d) Medicine to ward against cholera.
6. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Baptize them.
(b) Innocluate them against cholera.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Feed them.
7. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Curio Shop owner.
(b) The Governor.
(c) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(d) Charlie Townsend.
8. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) Another nun had died during the night.
(b) She had received bad news from home.
(c) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(d) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
9. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
(b) A little boy crying for his mother.
(c) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(d) A snake across the roadway.
10. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
(a) To visit a new British family from Hong Kong.
(b) A neighboring city.
(c) A Buddhist monastery.
(d) A beautiful waterful.
11. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Mother Superior.
(b) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(c) A new servant.
12. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(b) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
(c) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(d) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
13. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) The beginning signs of cholera.
(b) Incredible guilt.
(c) A headache.
(d) A broken heart.
14. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) Her family waving from the harbor.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
(d) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
15. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is very fluent in French.
(b) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(c) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(d) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
2. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
3. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
4. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
5. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)