|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) She finds it restful.
(b) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(c) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(d) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
2. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is elated.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is afraid.
3. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He doesn't find them very devoted.
(b) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(c) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(d) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
4. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
(a) Walter has forbidden the nuns from showing it to Kitty.
(b) Waddington insists that Kitty shouldn't see it.
(c) They are embarrassed by its untidiness.
(d) She thinks the scene is too much for Kitty.
5. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(a) Kitty doesn't know.
6. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) A picturesque waterfall.
(b) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
(c) A beautiful bridge.
(d) An archway memorial for the dead.
7. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(b) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(c) She tells Kitty of her first love.
(d) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
8. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Exploring the countryside.
(b) Conversing with Kitty.
(d) Practicing the guitar.
9. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) Her family waving from the harbor.
(c) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
(d) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
10. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(c) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(d) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
11. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(b) She asks him to forgive himself.
(c) She asks for forgiveness.
(d) She asks him to give her a kiss.
12. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(b) Goldsmith's Elegy.
(c) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(d) A Chinese proverb.
13. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is envious of him.
14. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(b) He tells her he despises himself and her.
(c) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(d) He tells her he despises himself.
15. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They are curious and excited.
(b) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(c) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
(d) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
2. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
3. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
4. Who does Waddington live with?
5. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)