|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(b) He tells her he despises himself and her.
(c) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(d) He tells her he despises himself.
2. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She cares for smaller children.
(b) She teaches English to the nuns.
(c) She helps with the laundry.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
3. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(b) Another nun had died during the night.
(c) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(d) She had received bad news from home.
4. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(b) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(c) Walter is very fluent in French.
(d) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
5. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(b) He doesn't find them very devoted.
(c) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(d) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
6. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(b) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(c) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(d) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
7. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(b) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(c) She is afraid she has cholera.
(d) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
8. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Sing to them.
(b) Innocluate them against cholera.
(c) Feed them.
(d) Baptize them.
9. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(b) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(c) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(d) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
10. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She doesn't notice it.
(b) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(c) She finds it refreshing.
(d) She is annoyed by it.
11. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
(c) Mother Superior.
(d) Colonel Yu.
12. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
(a) Sister St. Joseph has taken a vow of silence.
(b) Kitty is afraid of her.
(c) Sister St. Joseph does not speak English.
(d) Sister St. Joseph is deaf.
13. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
(a) A dead peasant.
(b) An abandoned child.
(c) A large water buffalo.
(d) A procession of widows.
14. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A snake across the roadway.
(b) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
(c) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(d) A little boy crying for his mother.
15. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(b) A small amount of cash.
(c) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(d) A Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
2. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
3. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
4. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
5. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)