|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(b) A child is howling in pain.
(c) The children break a piece of furniture.
(d) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
2. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
(b) Colonel Yu.
(d) Mother Superior.
3. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(b) She asks him to give her a kiss.
(c) She asks for forgiveness.
(d) She asks him to forgive himself.
4. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
(a) Sister St. Joseph does not speak English.
(b) Kitty is afraid of her.
(c) Sister St. Joseph has taken a vow of silence.
(d) Sister St. Joseph is deaf.
5. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(b) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(c) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
(d) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
6. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She finds it refreshing.
(b) She doesn't notice it.
(c) She is annoyed by it.
(d) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
7. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(b) Another nun had died during the night.
(c) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(d) She had received bad news from home.
8. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(b) She sings and is good at math.
(c) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(d) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
9. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(b) Mother Superior.
(c) A new servant.
10. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A little boy crying for his mother.
(b) A snake across the roadway.
(c) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(d) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
11. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
12. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
(a) Care for newborns.
(b) Scrub floors.
(c) Redecorate the chapel.
(d) Prepare meals.
13. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(b) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
(c) They are curious and excited.
(d) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
14. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll get a divorce.
(b) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(c) We'll go on living together.
(d) We'll let the future take care of itself.
15. Where is Walter buried?
(a) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(b) His body is sent back to England.
(c) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(d) He is cremated.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
2. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
3. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
4. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
5. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)