|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(b) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(c) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(d) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
2. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(b) The Curio Shop owner.
(c) The Governor.
(d) Charlie Townsend.
3. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(b) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(c) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
(d) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
4. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
(b) He never drinks and despises liquor.
(c) He uses liquor medicinally.
(d) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
5. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French cakes called Madeleines.
(b) French bread called baquettes.
(c) A type of French goat cheese.
(d) French crepes.
6. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
(a) He isn't ill, just guilt-ridden.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) He was wounded in an accident.
(d) The cholera.
7. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(b) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
(c) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(d) She finds it restful.
8. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is extremely pious and grave.
(b) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
(c) She is very rude.
(d) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
9. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(b) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(c) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(d) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
10. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She tells him it is Charlie's.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She refuses to answer.
(d) She tells him it is his.
11. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) They own a bakery.
(b) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(c) They are farmers.
(d) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
12. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A cross of dahlias.
(b) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(c) A picture of Jesus.
(d) A Bible.
13. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
(b) He died.
(c) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
(d) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
14. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(b) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
(c) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
(d) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
15. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is envious of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is proud of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
2. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
3. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
4. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
5. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)