|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(c) Kitty doesn't know.
2. Where is Walter buried?
(a) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(b) His body is sent back to England.
(c) He is cremated.
(d) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
3. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) A picturesque waterfall.
(b) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
(c) A beautiful bridge.
(d) An archway memorial for the dead.
4. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(c) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(d) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
5. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Curio Shop owner.
(b) The Governor.
(c) Charlie Townsend.
(d) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
6. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
(b) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
(c) He uses liquor medicinally.
(d) He never drinks and despises liquor.
7. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) A child is howling in pain.
(b) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(c) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(d) The children break a piece of furniture.
8. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) At first.
9. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She tells Kitty of her first love.
(b) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(c) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(d) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
10. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(b) A little boy crying for his mother.
(c) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
(d) A snake across the roadway.
11. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) Her family waving from the harbor.
(d) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
12. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
(b) She is very rude.
(c) She is extremely pious and grave.
(d) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
13. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he despises himself.
(b) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(c) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(d) He tells her he despises himself and her.
14. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
15. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll go on living together.
(b) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(c) We'll get a divorce.
(d) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
2. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
3. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
4. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
5. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)