|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(c) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(d) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
2. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
(b) Colonel Yu.
(d) Mother Superior.
3. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(b) They are farmers.
(c) They own a bakery.
(d) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
4. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her very large eyes.
(b) Her long elegant hands.
(c) Her long and glossy hair.
(d) Her small ears.
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
(a) He thinks she's cold and unfeeling.
(b) He thinks she's well-bred and able.
(c) He thinks she's very flirtatious.
(d) He thinks she's extremely beautiful.
6. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She tells him it is Charlie's.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She tells him it is his.
(d) She refuses to answer.
7. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(b) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(c) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(d) She is afraid she has cholera.
8. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
(b) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
(c) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(d) They are curious and excited.
9. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
(a) Walter has forbidden her from telling Mother Superior.
(b) She doesn't regret her actions.
(c) She doesn't want Mother Superior to think ill of her.
(d) The language barrier prohibits Kitty from telling Mother Superior her feelings and circumstances.
10. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(b) A Manchu lady.
(c) He lives by himself.
(d) He lives with his brother and his wife.
11. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) Her family waving from the harbor.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
(d) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
12. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(a) Mother Superior.
(c) Sister St. Joseph.
13. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers her forgiveness.
(b) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(c) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(d) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
14. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) A cross of dahlias.
(c) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(d) A Bible.
15. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A small amount of cash.
(b) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(c) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(d) A Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
2. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
3. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
4. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
5. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)