|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She works in the infirmary.
(b) She teaches English to the nuns.
(c) She helps with the laundry.
(d) She cares for smaller children.
2. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She doesn't notice it.
(b) She finds it refreshing.
(c) She is annoyed by it.
(d) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
3. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
4. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
(b) She is very rude.
(c) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
(d) She is extremely pious and grave.
5. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
(a) Mother Superior.
(b) Colonel Yu.
6. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) A Manchu lady.
(b) He lives by himself.
(c) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(d) He lives with his brother and his wife.
7. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Work in his laboratory.
(b) Return to the infirmary to tend to the sick.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Listen to music and relax.
8. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(b) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(c) She sings and is good at math.
(d) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
9. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She tells him it is his.
(b) She tells him it is Charlie's.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) She refuses to answer.
10. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Conversing with Kitty.
(b) Practicing the guitar.
(d) Exploring the countryside.
11. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(b) Charlie Townsend.
(c) The Curio Shop owner.
(d) The Governor.
12. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) They house several sick invalids.
(b) They eat fresh salad.
(c) They eat raw meat.
(d) The rarely bathe or wash.
13. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
(a) Colonel Yu.
(c) An amah.
(d) Mother Superior.
14. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(b) A new servant.
(c) Mother Superior.
15. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is elated.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
2. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
4. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
5. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)