|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He died.
(b) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
(c) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
(d) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
2. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(b) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(c) He is very dirty and unclean.
(d) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
3. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her small ears.
(b) Her very large eyes.
(c) Her long elegant hands.
(d) Her long and glossy hair.
4. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(b) Goldsmith's Elegy.
(c) A Chinese proverb.
(d) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
5. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
6. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Curio Shop owner.
(b) The Governor.
(c) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(d) Charlie Townsend.
7. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
(a) He despises himself for wanting Kitty to die.
(b) He despises his inadequacies in helping the sick.
(c) He despises his shyness.
(d) He despises his previous love for Kitty.
8. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(b) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(c) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(d) She is afraid she has cholera.
9. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(b) They are curious and excited.
(c) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
(d) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
10. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
(a) Colonel Yu.
(b) An amah.
(d) Mother Superior.
11. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
(b) She sings and is good at math.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
12. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) A type of French goat cheese.
(b) French crepes.
(c) French bread called baquettes.
(d) French cakes called Madeleines.
13. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A cross of dahlias.
(d) A picture of Jesus.
14. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) Her family waving from the harbor.
(b) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
15. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(b) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
(c) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(d) She tells Kitty of her first love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
3. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
5. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)