|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
(a) Walter has forbidden the nuns from showing it to Kitty.
(b) They are embarrassed by its untidiness.
(c) She thinks the scene is too much for Kitty.
(d) Waddington insists that Kitty shouldn't see it.
2. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(c) Kitty doesn't know.
3. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(b) He doesn't find them very devoted.
(c) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(d) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
4. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) The crying of a servant.
(c) Walter rousing her.
(d) The crow of a bird.
5. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(b) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
(c) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(d) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
6. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Exploring the countryside.
(c) Practicing the guitar.
(d) Conversing with Kitty.
7. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She teaches English to the nuns.
(b) She helps with the laundry.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
8. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Baptize them.
(b) Innocluate them against cholera.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Feed them.
9. What does Sister St. Joseph like to discuss with Kitty?
(c) The developments in the cholera epidemic.
(d) The children.
10. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) They are farmers.
(b) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(c) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
(d) They own a bakery.
11. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
(a) The theatre.
(b) The latest war news.
(c) The musuems.
(d) Political gossip.
12. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(a) Sister St. Joseph.
(c) Mother Superior.
13. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A Bible.
(b) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(c) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(d) A small amount of cash.
14. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is afraid.
(d) She is elated.
15. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) At first.
(d) He doesn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
2. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
3. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
4. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
5. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)