|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A picture of Jesus.
(c) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(d) A cross of dahlias.
2. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
(a) He isn't ill, just guilt-ridden.
(b) The cholera.
(c) He was wounded in an accident.
(d) Food poisoning.
3. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is afraid.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is elated.
4. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
(a) They like her and come to her with concerns.
(b) They are afraid of her pale skin.
(c) The like to watch her, but are too nervous to get close to her.
(d) They are upset at her intrusion and ignore her presence.
5. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(b) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(c) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
(d) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
6. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
(a) Scrub floors.
(b) Care for newborns.
(c) Prepare meals.
(d) Redecorate the chapel.
7. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(b) They are farmers.
(c) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
(d) They own a bakery.
8. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(b) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(c) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(d) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
9. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
(b) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(c) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(d) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
10. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
11. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) She had received bad news from home.
(b) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(c) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(d) Another nun had died during the night.
12. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll go on living together.
(b) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(c) We'll get a divorce.
(d) We'll let the future take care of itself.
13. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(b) She asks him to give her a kiss.
(c) She asks him to forgive himself.
(d) She asks for forgiveness.
14. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(c) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(d) He offers her forgiveness.
15. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
(a) She still finds herself attracted to him.
(b) She cannot remember what he looks like.
(c) She thinks he is handsome, but she is not attracted to him.
(d) She finds him unattractive and even repulsive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
2. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
3. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
4. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)