|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(b) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(c) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
(d) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
2. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) An archway memorial for the dead.
(b) A beautiful bridge.
(c) A picturesque waterfall.
(d) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
3. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her long elegant hands.
(b) Her long and glossy hair.
(c) Her very large eyes.
(d) Her small ears.
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A small amount of cash.
(b) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
5. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She teaches English to the nuns.
(b) She cares for smaller children.
(c) She helps with the laundry.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
6. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(b) She tells Kitty of her first love.
(c) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(d) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
7. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) He doesn't know.
(c) At first.
8. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Practicing the guitar.
(b) Conversing with Kitty.
(d) Exploring the countryside.
9. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(b) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(c) A child is howling in pain.
(d) The children break a piece of furniture.
10. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They are curious and excited.
(b) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
(c) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
(d) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
11. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
(a) A Buddhist monastery.
(b) A neighboring city.
(c) To visit a new British family from Hong Kong.
(d) A beautiful waterful.
12. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) A Manchu lady.
(b) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(c) He lives by himself.
(d) He lives with his brother and his wife.
13. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(b) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
(c) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(d) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
14. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(c) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
(d) He offers her forgiveness.
15. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(b) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(c) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(d) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
2. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
3. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
4. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
5. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)