|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A cross of dahlias.
(b) A Bible.
(c) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(d) A picture of Jesus.
2. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She helps with the laundry.
(b) She teaches English to the nuns.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She works in the infirmary.
3. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
(a) She doesn't regret her actions.
(b) Walter has forbidden her from telling Mother Superior.
(c) The language barrier prohibits Kitty from telling Mother Superior her feelings and circumstances.
(d) She doesn't want Mother Superior to think ill of her.
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(b) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(c) A small amount of cash.
(d) A Bible.
5. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(b) Exploring the countryside.
(c) Practicing the guitar.
(d) Conversing with Kitty.
6. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She refuses to answer.
(b) She tells him it is his.
(c) She tells him it is Charlie's.
(d) She doesn't know.
7. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(b) She asks him to forgive himself.
(c) She asks for forgiveness.
(d) She asks him to give her a kiss.
8. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
(a) The cholera.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) He isn't ill, just guilt-ridden.
(d) He was wounded in an accident.
9. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
(a) A large water buffalo.
(b) A procession of widows.
(c) A dead peasant.
(d) An abandoned child.
10. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) He doesn't know.
(d) At first.
11. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(b) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(c) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(d) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
12. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is elated.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is afraid.
(d) She is angry.
13. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(b) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(c) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(d) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
14. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(b) A Chinese proverb.
(c) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(d) Goldsmith's Elegy.
15. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(b) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(c) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
(d) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
2. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
4. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)