|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers her forgiveness.
(c) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(d) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
2. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
3. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) He is very dirty and unclean.
(b) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(c) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(d) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
4. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
(b) She is very rude.
(c) She is extremely pious and grave.
(d) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
5. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She tells him it is Charlie's.
(b) She refuses to answer.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) She tells him it is his.
6. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
(a) She's afraid Kitty is too weak and pale to work.
(b) She's afraid Waddington would disapprove.
(c) She does not think Chinese officials will allow it.
(d) Kitty is a Protestant, not Catholic.
7. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(b) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(c) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(d) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
8. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Mother Superior.
(c) A new servant.
(d) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
9. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
(a) From eating salad.
(b) From drinking unsanitary water.
(c) From experimenting on himself.
(d) From spending so much time with the sick.
10. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is very fluent in French.
(b) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(c) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(d) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
11. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She helps with the laundry.
(b) She works in the infirmary.
(c) She teaches English to the nuns.
(d) She cares for smaller children.
12. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Listen to music and relax.
(c) Return to the infirmary to tend to the sick.
(d) Work in his laboratory.
13. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(b) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(c) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(d) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
14. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(b) They are crowded with throngs of people.
(c) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
(d) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
15. Where is Walter buried?
(a) His body is sent back to England.
(b) He is cremated.
(c) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(d) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
2. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
3. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
4. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
5. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)