|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter if he wanted her to die from cholera in Chapter 57, what is his response?
(a) At first.
(b) He doesn't know.
2. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
(a) A large water buffalo.
(b) An abandoned child.
(c) A dead peasant.
(d) A procession of widows.
3. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
(a) They play card games.
(b) They do embroidery and sewing.
(c) They study mathematics and history.
(d) They put on elaborate plays.
4. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
(a) From experimenting on himself.
(b) From drinking unsanitary water.
(c) From spending so much time with the sick.
(d) From eating salad.
5. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Governor.
(b) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(c) The Curio Shop owner.
(d) Charlie Townsend.
6. What happened to the Missionary who was the previous occupant of the bungalow?
(a) He feel in love with a Chinese woman and left the province with her.
(b) He caught cholera and returned to England for treatment.
(c) He died.
(d) He was given another post in a neighboring village.
7. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Mother Superior.
(c) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(d) A new servant.
8. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
(c) Her family waving from the harbor.
(d) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
9. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(b) A small amount of cash.
(c) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(d) A Bible.
10. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
(a) He tells her he doesn't know how he feels about her.
(b) He tells her he despises himself and her.
(c) He tells her he loves her and always will.
(d) He tells her he despises himself.
11. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is envious of him.
12. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(b) They own a bakery.
(c) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
(d) They are farmers.
13. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(b) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
(c) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(d) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
14. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She sings and is good at math.
(b) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
15. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Work in his laboratory.
(c) Return to the infirmary to tend to the sick.
(d) Listen to music and relax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Waddington live with?
2. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
3. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
4. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
5. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)