|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
2. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(b) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(c) A Chinese proverb.
(d) Goldsmith's Elegy.
3. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
(b) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(c) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(d) She tells Kitty of her first love.
4. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(b) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A small amount of cash.
5. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A little boy crying for his mother.
(b) A snake across the roadway.
(c) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(d) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
6. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) The rarely bathe or wash.
(b) They eat raw meat.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) They house several sick invalids.
7. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) She had received bad news from home.
(b) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(c) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(d) Another nun had died during the night.
8. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) He lives by himself.
(b) He lives with his brother and his wife.
(c) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(d) A Manchu lady.
9. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is envious of him.
10. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
(b) A beautiful bridge.
(c) A picturesque waterfall.
(d) An archway memorial for the dead.
11. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Baptize them.
(b) Feed them.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Innocluate them against cholera.
12. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(b) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(c) We'll go on living together.
(d) We'll get a divorce.
13. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She finds it refreshing.
(b) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(c) She doesn't notice it.
(d) She is annoyed by it.
14. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
(c) Her family waving from the harbor.
(d) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
15. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(b) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(c) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(d) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
2. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
3. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
4. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
5. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)