|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(b) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(c) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
(d) She finds it restful.
2. What does Sister St. Joseph like to discuss with Kitty?
(a) The children.
(d) The developments in the cholera epidemic.
3. What does Mother Superior describe as her last sight of France?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) A beautiful sunset behind the cityscape.
(c) Her family waving from the harbor.
(d) The golden figure of Saint-Marie la Grace.
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She finds it dreary and depressing.
(b) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(c) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(d) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
5. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French cakes called Madeleines.
(b) French crepes.
(c) French bread called baquettes.
(d) A type of French goat cheese.
6. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
(a) Redecorate the chapel.
(b) Care for newborns.
(c) Scrub floors.
(d) Prepare meals.
7. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
(a) He despises his previous love for Kitty.
(b) He despises his inadequacies in helping the sick.
(c) He despises himself for wanting Kitty to die.
(d) He despises his shyness.
8. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(c) Kitty doesn't know.
9. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
(a) She still finds herself attracted to him.
(b) She cannot remember what he looks like.
(c) She finds him unattractive and even repulsive.
(d) She thinks he is handsome, but she is not attracted to him.
10. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(c) Mother Superior.
(d) Sister St. Joseph.
11. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) He is very dirty and unclean.
(b) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(c) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(d) She notices his hair has turned gray.
12. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(b) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(c) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(d) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
13. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(b) She had received bad news from home.
(c) Another nun had died during the night.
(d) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
14. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
(a) From experimenting on himself.
(b) From drinking unsanitary water.
(c) From spending so much time with the sick.
(d) From eating salad.
15. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) The children break a piece of furniture.
(b) A child is howling in pain.
(c) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(d) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
2. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
3. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
4. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
5. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)