|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll go on living together.
(b) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(c) We'll get a divorce.
(d) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
2. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
(a) The musuems.
(b) The theatre.
(c) Political gossip.
(d) The latest war news.
3. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Exploring the countryside.
(c) Conversing with Kitty.
(d) Practicing the guitar.
4. What was Mother Superior's first name before she became a nun?
(d) Kitty doesn't know.
5. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Walter rousing her.
(b) The crying of a servant.
(c) The crow of a bird.
(d) A nightmare.
6. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(b) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(c) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(d) He is very dirty and unclean.
7. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
(a) Sister St. Joseph is deaf.
(b) Sister St. Joseph does not speak English.
(c) Kitty is afraid of her.
(d) Sister St. Joseph has taken a vow of silence.
8. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
(a) She is elated.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is afraid.
9. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
(b) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(c) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(d) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
10. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A Shakespearean sonnet.
(b) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(c) A Chinese proverb.
(d) Goldsmith's Elegy.
11. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(b) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(c) The children break a piece of furniture.
(d) A child is howling in pain.
12. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(b) She is afraid she has cholera.
(c) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(d) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
13. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) They own a bakery.
(b) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
(c) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(d) They are farmers.
14. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
(a) The cholera.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) He was wounded in an accident.
(d) He isn't ill, just guilt-ridden.
15. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) They eat raw meat.
(b) The rarely bathe or wash.
(c) They house several sick invalids.
(d) They eat fresh salad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
2. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
3. What gift does the Manchu mistress give to Kitty?
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
5. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)