|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Feed them.
(b) Innocluate them against cholera.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Baptize them.
2. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) She doesn't notice it.
(b) She is annoyed by it.
(c) She finds it refreshing.
(d) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
3. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(b) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(c) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
(d) They are crowded with throngs of people.
4. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
(a) The Curio Shop owner.
(b) They don't have any mutual acquaintances.
(c) Charlie Townsend.
(d) The Governor.
5. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
6. What does Sister St. Joseph like to discuss with Kitty?
(a) The developments in the cholera epidemic.
(d) The children.
7. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) A headache.
(b) A broken heart.
(c) The beginning signs of cholera.
(d) Incredible guilt.
8. How do the older Chinese orphan girls spend their time at the convent?
(a) They do embroidery and sewing.
(b) They study mathematics and history.
(c) They play card games.
(d) They put on elaborate plays.
9. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
(a) She admires the nuns, but does not share their beliefs.
(b) She is disgusted by Catholic beliefs.
(c) She begins to adopt Catholic beliefs and wishes to be baptized.
(d) She feels too unworthy to become a Catholic.
10. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(a) Conversing with Kitty.
(b) Exploring the countryside.
(c) Practicing the guitar.
11. Why doesn't Kitty converse with Sister St. Joseph on her first visit to the convent?
(a) Sister St. Joseph has taken a vow of silence.
(b) Sister St. Joseph does not speak English.
(c) Kitty is afraid of her.
(d) Sister St. Joseph is deaf.
12. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(b) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(c) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(d) Walter is very fluent in French.
13. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
(a) A large water buffalo.
(b) An abandoned child.
(c) A dead peasant.
(d) A procession of widows.
14. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll get a divorce.
(b) We'll go on living together.
(c) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(d) We'll let the future take care of itself.
15. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French cakes called Madeleines.
(b) A type of French goat cheese.
(c) French bread called baquettes.
(d) French crepes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
2. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
3. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
4. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
5. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)