|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to tell Kitty that Walter has fallen ill?
(b) Colonel Yu.
(c) An amah.
(d) Mother Superior.
2. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She works in the infirmary.
(b) She helps with the laundry.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She teaches English to the nuns.
3. What type of work does Kitty first offer to do at the convent?
(a) Redecorate the chapel.
(b) Scrub floors.
(c) Prepare meals.
(d) Care for newborns.
4. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(b) He doesn't find them very devoted.
(c) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(d) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
5. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is extremely pious and grave.
(b) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
(c) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
(d) She is very rude.
6. During Kitty and Walter's journey, how does Walter spend each evening?
(b) Conversing with Kitty.
(c) Practicing the guitar.
(d) Exploring the countryside.
7. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(b) She had received bad news from home.
(c) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
(d) Another nun had died during the night.
8. What reason does Walter give for despising himself in Chapter 47?
(a) He despises his previous love for Kitty.
(b) He despises himself for wanting Kitty to die.
(c) He despises his inadequacies in helping the sick.
(d) He despises his shyness.
9. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She is disappointed in him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is envious of him.
10. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(a) Sister St. Joseph.
(b) Mother Superior.
11. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(b) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(c) She receives some bad news about Walter.
(d) She is afraid she has cholera.
12. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) A beautiful bridge.
(b) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
(c) An archway memorial for the dead.
(d) A picturesque waterfall.
13. During dinner conversation outlined in Chapter 32, what aspect of London does Waddington discuss at length?
(a) Political gossip.
(b) The theatre.
(c) The latest war news.
(d) The musuems.
14. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) Goldsmith's Elegy.
(b) A Chinese proverb.
(c) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(d) A Shakespearean sonnet.
15. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(b) A Bible.
(c) Medicine to ward against cholera.
(d) A small amount of cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children at the convent think of Kitty?
2. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
3. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
4. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
5. When Kitty discovers she is pregnant, what is her immediate reaction?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)