|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Walter have, as described in Chapter 62?
(a) He isn't ill, just guilt-ridden.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) He was wounded in an accident.
(d) The cholera.
2. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She is envious of him.
(d) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
3. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
(a) She doesn't regret her actions.
(b) She doesn't want Mother Superior to think ill of her.
(c) The language barrier prohibits Kitty from telling Mother Superior her feelings and circumstances.
(d) Walter has forbidden her from telling Mother Superior.
4. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(b) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(c) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(d) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
5. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) They take a ferry and ride on donkeys.
(b) They take a steamer and are carried in chairs.
(c) They take a train and ride in a carriage.
(d) They ride on a cargo ship and walk the remainder of the way.
6. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
(c) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(d) He offers her forgiveness.
7. How does the Chinese surgeon think that Walter contracted cholera?
(a) From eating salad.
(b) From experimenting on himself.
(c) From drinking unsanitary water.
(d) From spending so much time with the sick.
8. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
(a) We'll let the future take care of itself.
(b) We'll stay married, but you can move to England.
(c) We'll get a divorce.
(d) We'll go on living together.
9. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
(a) She works in the infirmary.
(b) She teaches English to the nuns.
(c) She cares for smaller children.
(d) She helps with the laundry.
10. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She sings and is good at math.
(b) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
11. What work does Walter quote with his last words?
(a) A verse in St. John in the Bible.
(b) A Chinese proverb.
(c) Goldsmith's Elegy.
(d) A Shakespearean sonnet.
12. Where is Walter buried?
(a) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(b) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(c) He is cremated.
(d) His body is sent back to England.
13. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A snake across the roadway.
(b) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(c) A little boy crying for his mother.
(d) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
14. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) The crow of a bird.
(c) Walter rousing her.
(d) The crying of a servant.
15. What vocation does Sister St. Joseph's family do in France?
(a) They own a bakery.
(b) They own a small mercantile shop in the country.
(c) Her father and mother both work for the government.
(d) They are farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter if he despises her in Chapter 47, what is his response?
2. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
3. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
4. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
5. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)