|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What French delicacy does Mother Superior serve Kitty during tea?
(a) French crepes.
(b) French bread called baquettes.
(c) French cakes called Madeleines.
(d) A type of French goat cheese.
2. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(b) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
(c) The children break a piece of furniture.
(d) A child is howling in pain.
3. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is envious of him.
(b) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(c) She is proud of him.
(d) She is disappointed in him.
4. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
(a) A beloved orphan girl had just died.
(b) Another nun had died during the night.
(c) She had received bad news from home.
(d) She found her suffering from symptons of cholera.
5. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The distant shriek of a large animal.
(b) A little boy crying for his mother.
(c) A snake across the roadway.
(d) Four peasants bearing a coffin.
6. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(b) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
(c) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(d) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
7. What token do the nuns send to Kitty after Walter's death?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A picture of Jesus.
(c) An assortment of chocolates for Kitty.
(d) A cross of dahlias.
8. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
(b) She sings and is good at math.
(c) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(d) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
9. When Kitty finds herself suffering nausea and vomits, what causes her to faint?
(a) One of the children vomits as well, and she faints when she sees it.
(b) She doesn't faint, but quickly regains her composure.
(c) She is afraid she has cholera.
(d) She receives some bad news about Walter.
10. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Mother Superior.
(b) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
(d) A new servant.
11. How do the nuns regard Kitty's pregnancy?
(a) They are curious and excited.
(b) They are indifferent to her pregnancy.
(c) They find her pregnancy an inconvenience.
(d) They feel her pregnancy is a sin.
12. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(b) She is annoyed by it.
(c) She doesn't notice it.
(d) She finds it refreshing.
13. What do the nuns give Chinese parents in exchange for babies they would have otherwise abandoned?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A supply of fruit and vegetables.
(c) A small amount of cash.
(d) Medicine to ward against cholera.
14. What physical feature of Waddington's mistress suggests fine breeding to Kitty?
(a) Her long and glossy hair.
(b) Her long elegant hands.
(c) Her very large eyes.
(d) Her small ears.
15. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
(a) She's afraid Kitty is too weak and pale to work.
(b) Kitty is a Protestant, not Catholic.
(c) She's afraid Waddington would disapprove.
(d) She does not think Chinese officials will allow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the nuns allow Kitty to see inside the infirmary?
2. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
3. How many people die each day in Mei-tan-fu from the cholera?
4. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
5. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)