|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter routinely do after Kitty goes to bed during their stay at Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Listen to music and relax.
(b) Return to the infirmary to tend to the sick.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Work in his laboratory.
2. How does Kitty regard Waddington's frankness?
(a) His frankness makes her self-conscious.
(b) She doesn't notice it.
(c) She finds it refreshing.
(d) She is annoyed by it.
3. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks him to forgive himself.
(b) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(c) She asks for forgiveness.
(d) She asks him to give her a kiss.
4. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(b) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(c) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(d) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
5. What great noise brings Mother Superior to the room when Kitty is watching the children in Chapter 52?
(a) A child is howling in pain.
(b) Kitty is playing a boisterous game with them.
(c) The children break a piece of furniture.
(d) The children are singing a song Kitty is teaching them.
6. Why doesn't Kitty tell Mother Superior about her unhappiness and its cause?
(a) She doesn't regret her actions.
(b) Walter has forbidden her from telling Mother Superior.
(c) She doesn't want Mother Superior to think ill of her.
(d) The language barrier prohibits Kitty from telling Mother Superior her feelings and circumstances.
7. Who is the first person to suppose that Kitty is expecting?
(a) Mother Superior.
(b) Sister St. Joseph.
8. When Walter asks Kitty if the baby is his, what is her response?
(a) She refuses to answer.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She tells him it is his.
(d) She tells him it is Charlie's.
9. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(b) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(c) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(d) Walter is very fluent in French.
10. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He lives with his brother and his wife.
(c) A Manchu lady.
(d) He lives by himself.
11. As Kitty and Walter are entering Mei-tan-fu, what do the Chinese servants point out to Kitty?
(a) An archway memorial for the dead.
(b) A picturesque waterfall.
(c) A beautiful bridge.
(d) A sign in Chinese bearing the city's name.
12. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) The rarely bathe or wash.
(b) They house several sick invalids.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) They eat raw meat.
13. How does Kitty find the streets of Mei-tan-fu on her way to the convent?
(a) The streets are very clean and well-kept.
(b) They are extremely dirty, with a horrible stench.
(c) Everyone on the streets seems extremely curious of her.
(d) They are crowded with throngs of people.
14. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is disappointed in him.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(d) She is envious of him.
15. Why won't Walter initially allow Colonel Yu to send for Kitty in Chapter 62?
(a) Walter wants to send for Kitty himself.
(b) Walter despises her and does not want to see Kitty.
(c) Walter is worried that Kitty will not want to come see him.
(d) Walter doesn't want Kitty to witness the symptoms of cholera.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
2. During Kitty and Waddington's first dinner together, what unexpected mutual acquaintance do they discover?
3. As more time passes with Kitty working at the convent, how does she reflect on Charlie's appearance?
4. Who recited a Protestant burial service for Walter?
5. What modes of transportation do Kitty and Walter utilize to get to Mei-tan-fu?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)