|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) A headache.
(b) A broken heart.
(c) The beginning signs of cholera.
(d) Incredible guilt.
2. What skill of Walter's does Kitty learn about from the nuns that surprises her?
(a) Walter is very good with babies and loves to play with them.
(b) Walter is an excellent cook and helps with meals at the convent.
(c) Walter has an excellent singing voice.
(d) Walter is very fluent in French.
3. After Kitty learns of Walter's work and talents, how does she regard him?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She is completley indifferent towards his work.
(c) She is disappointed in him.
(d) She is envious of him.
4. What habit of the Fanes does Waddington find surprising and dangerous?
(a) They eat raw meat.
(b) They house several sick invalids.
(c) They eat fresh salad.
(d) The rarely bathe or wash.
5. What does Kitty think of her first view from her window of the bungalow?
(a) She takes no notice of the view and is so depressed she doesn't really register her surroundings.
(b) She finds it breathtakingly beautiful.
(c) She finds the view pretty much the same as her view in Hong Kong.
(d) She finds it dreary and depressing.
6. What about Walter's appearance, as described in Chapter 56, shocks Kitty during their conversation?
(a) She notices his hair has turned gray.
(b) She notices he is very thin and sickly.
(c) He is wearing Chinese peasant clothing.
(d) He is very dirty and unclean.
7. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
(a) She recounts when she told her family her decision to become a nun.
(b) She tells Kitty of her journey to China.
(c) She recounts happy memories from her childhood.
(d) She tells Kitty of her first love.
8. Who does Waddington live with?
(a) A Manchu lady.
(b) He lives by himself.
(c) Soliders stationed in Mei-tan-fu.
(d) He lives with his brother and his wife.
9. What is Kitty's last request of Walter?
(a) She asks for forgiveness.
(b) She asks him to forgive himself.
(c) She asks him to tell her he loves her.
(d) She asks him to give her a kiss.
10. What two skills does Kitty possess that are valuable in helping at the convent?
(a) She has a good knowledge of medicine and how to dress wounds.
(b) She is good at playing cards and mixing drinks.
(c) She cooks well and sews beautifully.
(d) She sings and is good at math.
11. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Baptize them.
(b) Innocluate them against cholera.
(c) Feed them.
(d) Sing to them.
12. What crime is Colonel Yu trying desperately to prevent in Mei-tan-fu?
13. How does Mother Superior treat Kitty since the discovery of her pregnancy?
(a) She is more kind and friendly with her.
(b) She is more standoffish to Kitty.
(c) She becomes more easily frustrated and mean to Kitty.
(d) There is no change in her manner towards Kitty.
14. Where do Waddington and Kitty make an excursion to on a Sunday in Chapter 53?
(a) A Buddhist monastery.
(b) A beautiful waterful.
(c) To visit a new British family from Hong Kong.
(d) A neighboring city.
15. What is Kitty's first impression of Sister St. Joseph's demeanor?
(a) She is easy-going and very good-humoured.
(b) She is extremely pious and grave.
(c) She is very rude.
(d) She seems distracted and unintelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
2. As Kitty spends more time with the nuns, how does she feel about the Catholic faith?
3. What startles Kitty when she accompanies Waddington on her first walk outside of the bungalow?
4. What job is Kitty given at the convent?
5. Why does Mother Superior hesitate to allow Kitty to work in the convent?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)