|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The C.M.G.
(b) An advancement in his career.
(c) The purple heart.
(d) A title.
2. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
(b) She despises him.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She adores him.
3. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
4. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(b) She likes irritating her mother.
(c) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(d) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
5. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
(a) She thinks he is the best dancer she had ever partnered.
(b) She thinks he is a fair, but undistinguished dancer.
(c) She doesn't know as he refuses to dance with her.
(d) She thinks he is a terrible dancer.
6. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
(a) He leaves the house in fear of getting ill himself.
(b) He attends to her every need very kindly.
(c) He is impatient with her.
(d) He ignores her illness and treats her like normal.
7. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(b) His office.
(c) Her house.
(d) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
8. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) At a government ball.
(b) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(c) At a dinner held at his house.
(d) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
9. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He is self-conscious.
(b) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
(c) He prefers to sing solos.
(d) He disapproves of singing.
10. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(d) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
11. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) The cottage of a friend.
(b) Charlie's office.
(c) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
(d) The house of a curio dealer.
12. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A bear.
(b) A lion.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A rabbit.
13. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(b) Court rooms make him nervous.
(c) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
(d) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
14. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(b) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(c) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
(d) He thinks it is very generous.
15. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) Her pale blue dancing gown.
(b) A pale yellow dress.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) A bright red kimono.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
2. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
3. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
4. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
5. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)