|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) Charlie's office.
(b) The house of a curio dealer.
(c) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
(d) The cottage of a friend.
2. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(b) A note from Walter with a book.
(c) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(d) Her lost cat.
3. What position does Charlie hold?
(a) Colonial Governor.
(b) King's Counsel.
(c) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
4. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
(a) He attends to her every need very kindly.
(b) He ignores her illness and treats her like normal.
(c) He is impatient with her.
(d) He leaves the house in fear of getting ill himself.
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She is deeply in love with him.
(b) She is constantly angry with him.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
6. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she has begun an illicit affair.
(b) That she is expecting a baby.
(c) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
(d) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
7. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
(a) They are hosting a dinner party.
(b) They plan to play games with another couple.
(c) They are packing for a vacation.
(d) They are dining out with some friends.
8. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
(d) Furniture polish.
9. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
10. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
(a) He is wearing spectacles.
(b) He is wearing a pin that his wife gave him.
(c) He is dressed for a polo game.
(d) He is very informally attired.
11. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
12. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
(a) Kitty's husband.
(b) A delivery person.
(c) Kitty's pet dog.
(d) The amah, or Chinese servant.
13. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) Small talk annoys him.
(b) He has nothing to say.
(c) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(d) He doesn't hear her.
14. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
(a) He cannot remember the things she asks him about.
(b) He doesn't want Kitty to know about his past.
(c) He likes to be in control of the direction of the conversation.
(d) It bores him to talk about himself.
15. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
2. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
3. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
4. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
5. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)