|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
(a) She thinks he is a fair, but undistinguished dancer.
(b) She thinks he is the best dancer she had ever partnered.
(c) She thinks he is a terrible dancer.
(d) She doesn't know as he refuses to dance with her.
2. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) The house of a curio dealer.
(b) The cottage of a friend.
(c) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
(d) Charlie's office.
3. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(b) She is a wonderful mother.
(c) She is a wonderful hostess.
(d) She is extremely attractive.
4. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is a great reader.
(b) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(c) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(d) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She is constantly angry with him.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(d) She is deeply in love with him.
6. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Mortal sadness.
(c) Haughty conceit.
(d) Intense anger.
7. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(b) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(c) He thinks it is very generous.
(d) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
8. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
(a) He goes for his regular tiffin.
(b) He goes down and pays the curio shop owner.
(c) He rushes out to a business appointment.
(d) He locks the door and stays with Kitty.
9. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
10. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) Walter Fane.
(b) Geoffrey Dennison.
(c) Bernard Garstin.
(d) William Foster.
11. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
(a) 55, but she claims to be 40.
12. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(b) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
(c) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
(d) She is too nervous to go to his office.
13. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
(a) She is angry and confrontational.
(b) She is nervous and feels ill.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is happy and relieved.
14. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
15. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
(a) He wasn't sure exactly at that time Charlie was with Kitty.
(b) Walter likes Charlie.
(c) Walter says he was too proud to fight.
(d) He was afraid Charlie would beat him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of books does Walter like to read?
2. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
3. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
4. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
5. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)