|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
2. What color are Charlie's eyes?
3. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A small photograph of himself.
(b) A love note.
(c) A comforting shawl.
(d) A drink of brandy.
4. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
(b) She is quiet and unassuming.
(c) She is an expert at small talk.
(d) She is good at settling disagreements.
5. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He is having an affair of his own.
(b) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
(c) He has grown tired of her.
(d) He loves her and is a gentleman.
6. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is extremely attractive.
(b) She is a wonderful hostess.
(c) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(d) She is a wonderful mother.
7. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(b) Her mother threatens to disown her.
(c) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
(d) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
8. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) There is a cholera epidemic there.
(b) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
(c) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(d) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
9. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
10. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(b) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
(c) He says he has work to do.
(d) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
11. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
12. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(b) He was a professor of medicine.
(c) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(d) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
13. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
(b) A distinguished general.
(d) The Governor.
14. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
(a) She is nervous and feels ill.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is happy and relieved.
(d) She is angry and confrontational.
15. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
(b) She is too nervous to go to his office.
(c) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(d) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
2. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
3. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
4. How old is Charlie?
5. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)