|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(c) He will file a petition for divorce.
(d) He will go alone.
2. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
3. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A bear.
(b) A lion.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A mouse.
4. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
(a) Kitty's husband.
(b) The amah, or Chinese servant.
(c) Kitty's pet dog.
(d) A delivery person.
5. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
(a) Kitty's beauty distracts him.
(b) He would rather talk to Kitty than eat.
(c) He is not hungry.
(d) He is feeling ill.
6. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(b) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(c) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(d) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
7. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) Three months.
(b) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three days.
8. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(b) The time has come for him to return to work.
(c) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(d) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
9. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(b) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(c) A note from Walter with a book.
(d) Her lost cat.
10. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Intense anger.
(b) Glazed indifference.
(c) Haughty conceit.
(d) Mortal sadness.
11. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(b) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(c) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(d) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
12. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
13. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) It is difficult to remember.
(b) It reminds her of her mother.
(c) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
(d) She feels the name dates a person.
14. What item does Charlie leave downstairs during his rendezvous with Kitty in Chapter 1?
(a) His topee, or hat.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His cane.
(d) A letter.
15. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
(a) He finds Walter very boring.
(b) He thinks Walter is very rude.
(c) He thinks Walter is extremely conceited.
(d) He finds Walter highly intelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
2. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
3. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
4. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
5. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)