|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
(a) She is sad and distracted.
(b) She is confused and upset at the circumstances.
(c) She feels no different than before.
(d) She is intensely guilty.
2. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
(a) He doesn't have his usual nightcap.
(b) He does not listen to his favorite song.
(c) He does not kiss Kitty goodnight.
(d) He does not read the paper.
3. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
(b) That she is expecting a baby.
(c) That she has begun an illicit affair.
(d) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
4. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
5. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
(b) At a government ball.
(c) At a dinner held at his house.
(d) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
6. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) She hears someone calling for her.
(b) She heard a commotion outside.
(c) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
(d) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
7. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(b) Court rooms make him nervous.
(c) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
(d) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
8. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Try to get Charlie fired.
(b) Do nothing or ignore it.
(c) Divorce Kitty.
(d) Alert Charlie's spouse.
9. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
(a) He is angry at her accusations.
(b) He is worried his wife will find out and immediately phones her.
(c) He is relieved and wants a brandy.
(d) He is happy with how they ended and congratulates himself.
10. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) It reminds her of her mother.
(b) It is difficult to remember.
(c) She feels the name dates a person.
(d) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
11. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
(b) He prefers to sing solos.
(c) He disapproves of singing.
(d) He is self-conscious.
12. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
(a) To ask him numerous questions.
(b) To spend a great deal of time with him.
(c) To put yourself in his shoes.
(d) To study his life.
13. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
(a) They plan to play games with another couple.
(b) They are dining out with some friends.
(c) They are packing for a vacation.
(d) They are hosting a dinner party.
14. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
(b) She is good at settling disagreements.
(c) She is quiet and unassuming.
(d) She is an expert at small talk.
15. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
(a) He believes one can be in love with a woman without wishing to spend his life with her.
(b) He believes you can only truly love your spouse.
(c) He believes all marriages are built on love.
(d) He believes marriage is strictly a business arrangement and love is not involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
2. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
3. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
4. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
5. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)