Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(b) The time has come for him to return to work.
(c) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(d) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
2. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
(b) Charlie's office.
(c) The house of a curio dealer.
(d) The cottage of a friend.
3. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
(a) He is wearing spectacles.
(b) He is very informally attired.
(c) He is wearing a pin that his wife gave him.
(d) He is dressed for a polo game.
4. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He is self-conscious.
(b) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
(c) He prefers to sing solos.
(d) He disapproves of singing.
5. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(b) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(c) A note from Walter with a book.
(d) Her lost cat.
6. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) She likes irritating her mother.
(b) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(c) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(d) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
7. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(b) She is a wonderful mother.
(c) She is extremely attractive.
(d) She is a wonderful hostess.
8. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(b) Her mother threatens to disown her.
(c) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
(d) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
9. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
(a) He was a prominent attorney.
(b) Regional General Secretary.
(c) He was an established merchant.
(d) Colonial Governor.
10. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
(b) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(c) He is having an affair of his own.
(d) He has grown tired of her.
11. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He is an attorney.
(b) He is a government bacteriologist.
(c) He lives primarily from investments.
(d) He is a successful businessman.
12. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
(a) He does not read the paper.
(b) He does not listen to his favorite song.
(c) He does not kiss Kitty goodnight.
(d) He doesn't have his usual nightcap.
13. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) He doesn't hear her.
(b) Small talk annoys him.
(c) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(d) He has nothing to say.
14. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
15. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
(a) He is feeling ill.
(b) He would rather talk to Kitty than eat.
(c) Kitty's beauty distracts him.
(d) He is not hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
2. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
3. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
4. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)