|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(b) The believe he has been working too hard.
(c) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(d) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
2. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(b) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(c) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
(d) He says he has work to do.
3. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
(b) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(c) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(d) She likes irritating her mother.
4. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is a great reader.
(b) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(c) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
(d) He says Walter is extremely funny.
5. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
6. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
7. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
(b) Furniture polish.
8. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
(a) He locks the door and stays with Kitty.
(b) He goes down and pays the curio shop owner.
(c) He rushes out to a business appointment.
(d) He goes for his regular tiffin.
9. What type of books does Walter like to read?
(a) Mystery stories.
(b) Poetry and contemporary literature.
(c) Historical works and books about China.
(d) Romance novels.
10. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She is constantly angry with him.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(d) She is deeply in love with him.
11. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
(a) They are happily in love.
(b) They are completely indifferent to each other.
(c) They are excellent friends.
(d) They quarrel constantly.
12. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
13. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) Geoffrey Dennison.
(b) Walter Fane.
(c) Bernard Garstin.
(d) William Foster.
14. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(b) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
(c) At a dinner held at his house.
(d) At a government ball.
15. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful hostess.
(b) She is extremely attractive.
(c) She is a wonderful mother.
(d) She has marvelous fashion sense.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
2. What color are Charlie's eyes?
3. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
4. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
5. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)