|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
(b) It is difficult to remember.
(c) It reminds her of her mother.
(d) She feels the name dates a person.
2. What position does Charlie hold?
(b) Colonial Governor.
(c) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
(d) King's Counsel.
3. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
(d) 55, but she claims to be 40.
4. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
(b) A bustling village by the sea.
(c) They go abroad to different countries.
(d) They stay in London.
5. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) At a dinner held at his house.
(b) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
(c) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(d) At a government ball.
6. Where does Walter propose to Kitty?
(a) At a social dance.
(b) The park.
(c) In a restaurant.
(d) In her sitting room.
7. What determines Kitty's social position in Hong Kong?
(a) The connections of her family.
(b) The size of her home.
(c) The type of attire she wears.
(d) Her husband's occupation.
8. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
(a) Walter had mentioned he did not wish to marry.
(b) They didn't know each other well.
(c) She was unaware that Walter was in love with her.
(d) Walter had not asked permission of her father.
9. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful hostess.
(b) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(c) She is a wonderful mother.
(d) She is extremely attractive.
10. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
(a) To study his life.
(b) To ask him numerous questions.
(c) To put yourself in his shoes.
(d) To spend a great deal of time with him.
11. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
(a) He doesn't want Dorothy to find out.
(b) He doesn't want it to hurt his career.
(c) He doesn't want his children to find out.
(d) He's worried about being excommunicated.
12. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
(a) At a favorite restaurant.
(b) At the curio shop.
(c) At his office.
(d) At his home.
13. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(b) He says he has work to do.
(c) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(d) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
14. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
15. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She is constantly angry with him.
(d) She is deeply in love with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
2. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
3. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
4. What is Walter's occupation?
5. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)