|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(b) At a government ball.
(c) At a dinner held at his house.
(d) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
2. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will file a petition for divorce.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(d) He will go alone.
3. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks it is very generous.
(b) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
(c) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(d) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
4. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) She heard a commotion outside.
(b) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
(c) She hears someone calling for her.
(d) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
5. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
6. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
7. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
(b) Court rooms make him nervous.
(c) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(d) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
8. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
(a) She doesn't know exactly what he does.
(b) She feels his job is not very significant or important.
(c) Walter has told her not to tell people about his work.
(d) She feels it is an unimportant detail.
9. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is happy and relieved.
(c) She is angry and confrontational.
(d) She is nervous and feels ill.
10. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
11. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
(a) He's worried about being excommunicated.
(b) He doesn't want Dorothy to find out.
(c) He doesn't want it to hurt his career.
(d) He doesn't want his children to find out.
12. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
(a) They are hosting a dinner party.
(b) They are packing for a vacation.
(c) They plan to play games with another couple.
(d) They are dining out with some friends.
13. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
(a) Regional General Secretary.
(b) He was an established merchant.
(c) He was a prominent attorney.
(d) Colonial Governor.
14. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she has begun an illicit affair.
(b) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
(c) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
(d) That she is expecting a baby.
15. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
(a) Furniture polish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
2. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
3. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
4. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
5. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)