|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
(b) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(c) Her house.
(d) His office.
2. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
(a) They are dining out with some friends.
(b) They are hosting a dinner party.
(c) They are packing for a vacation.
(d) They plan to play games with another couple.
3. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She is indifferent to him.
(b) She is constantly angry with him.
(c) She is deeply in love with him.
(d) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
4. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) She feels the name dates a person.
(b) It reminds her of her mother.
(c) It is difficult to remember.
(d) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
5. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
(a) Furniture polish.
6. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(b) He thinks it is very generous.
(c) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(d) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
7. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
8. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
(a) He does not kiss Kitty goodnight.
(b) He doesn't have his usual nightcap.
(c) He does not read the paper.
(d) He does not listen to his favorite song.
9. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) A sandalwood chest.
(c) The floor.
(d) A bed.
10. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(b) He doesn't hear her.
(c) He has nothing to say.
(d) Small talk annoys him.
11. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
12. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
(c) The Governor.
(d) A distinguished general.
13. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
(b) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(c) At a government ball.
(d) At a dinner held at his house.
14. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) A bright red kimono.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her pale blue dancing gown.
(d) A pale yellow dress.
15. What type of books does Walter like to read?
(a) Romance novels.
(b) Poetry and contemporary literature.
(c) Mystery stories.
(d) Historical works and books about China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
2. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
3. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
4. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
5. How old is Charlie?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)