|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
(a) She is confused and upset at the circumstances.
(b) She feels no different than before.
(c) She is intensely guilty.
(d) She is sad and distracted.
2. What type of books does Walter like to read?
(a) Mystery stories.
(b) Poetry and contemporary literature.
(c) Historical works and books about China.
(d) Romance novels.
3. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
4. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) William Foster.
(b) Bernard Garstin.
(c) Walter Fane.
(d) Geoffrey Dennison.
5. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) He has nothing to say.
(b) Small talk annoys him.
(c) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(d) He doesn't hear her.
6. Where do Charlie and Kitty usually meet?
(a) The cottage of a friend.
(b) Charlie's office.
(c) The house of a curio dealer.
(d) A rented hotel room above a cafe.
7. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
(b) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
(c) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
(d) That she is going to file for divorce.
8. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) She feels the name dates a person.
(b) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
(c) It is difficult to remember.
(d) It reminds her of her mother.
9. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) The floor.
(b) A bed.
(c) A sandalwood chest.
(d) An antique divan.
10. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
11. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(b) Her house.
(c) His office.
(d) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
12. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
(a) Walter tells her.
(b) She sees his gloves on the entry table.
(c) The servant boy tells her.
(d) A neighbor tells her.
13. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
14. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Intense anger.
(c) Mortal sadness.
(d) Haughty conceit.
15. What color are Charlie's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
2. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
3. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
4. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
5. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)