|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
(b) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
(c) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
(d) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
2. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
3. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
4. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Try to get Charlie fired.
(b) Divorce Kitty.
(c) Alert Charlie's spouse.
(d) Do nothing or ignore it.
5. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
(b) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
(c) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(d) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
6. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will file a petition for divorce.
(b) He will go alone.
(c) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(d) He will kill himself.
7. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
(a) Walter had not asked permission of her father.
(b) She was unaware that Walter was in love with her.
(c) Walter had mentioned he did not wish to marry.
(d) They didn't know each other well.
8. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He has grown tired of her.
(b) He is having an affair of his own.
(c) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
(d) He loves her and is a gentleman.
9. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) Her mother threatens to disown her.
(b) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(c) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
(d) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
10. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
(a) He would rather talk to Kitty than eat.
(b) He is not hungry.
(c) Kitty's beauty distracts him.
(d) He is feeling ill.
11. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) Bernard Garstin.
(b) Geoffrey Dennison.
(c) Walter Fane.
(d) William Foster.
12. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
(a) He thinks Walter is extremely conceited.
(b) He thinks Walter is very rude.
(c) He finds Walter highly intelligent.
(d) He finds Walter very boring.
13. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(b) The believe he has been working too hard.
(c) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(d) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
14. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(d) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
15. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) A sandalwood chest.
(b) The floor.
(c) An antique divan.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
2. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
3. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
4. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
5. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)