|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) Court rooms make him nervous.
(b) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(c) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
(d) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
2. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
3. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Try to get Charlie fired.
(b) Alert Charlie's spouse.
(c) Do nothing or ignore it.
(d) Divorce Kitty.
4. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(b) There is a cholera epidemic there.
(c) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
(d) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
5. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she has begun an illicit affair.
(b) That she is expecting a baby.
(c) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
(d) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
6. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
(a) William Foster.
(b) Geoffrey Dennison.
(c) Walter Fane.
(d) Bernard Garstin.
7. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He is a government bacteriologist.
(b) He is an attorney.
(c) He is a successful businessman.
(d) He lives primarily from investments.
8. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is a great reader.
(b) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(c) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
(d) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
9. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(b) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
(c) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(d) He was a professor of medicine.
10. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A bear.
11. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) A bright red kimono.
(b) A pale yellow dress.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) Her pale blue dancing gown.
12. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
(b) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
(c) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(d) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
13. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
14. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He has grown tired of her.
(b) He is having an affair of his own.
(c) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(d) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
15. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
(b) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
(c) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(d) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
3. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
4. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
5. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)