|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kitty is ill, how does Walter treat her?
(a) He attends to her every need very kindly.
(b) He ignores her illness and treats her like normal.
(c) He is impatient with her.
(d) He leaves the house in fear of getting ill himself.
2. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
(a) He is worried his wife will find out and immediately phones her.
(b) He is angry at her accusations.
(c) He is relieved and wants a brandy.
(d) He is happy with how they ended and congratulates himself.
3. What color are Charlie's eyes?
4. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will go alone.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(d) He will file a petition for divorce.
5. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(d) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
6. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(b) She likes irritating her mother.
(c) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
(d) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
7. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) He has nothing to say.
(b) Small talk annoys him.
(c) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(d) He doesn't hear her.
8. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) It reminds her of her mother.
(b) It is difficult to remember.
(c) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
(d) She feels the name dates a person.
9. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
10. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
(a) He has a nasty temper.
(b) He is very good at making witty remarks.
(c) He is very shy and quiet.
(d) He is very jovial and out-going.
11. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
(a) He has to stay up very late at night to study for his remarks.
(b) He is incredibly shy and hates making speeches.
(c) Court rooms make him nervous.
(d) It is an unseasonably warm time of year.
12. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(b) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(c) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
(d) He was a professor of medicine.
13. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
(b) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(c) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(d) He says he has work to do.
14. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
15. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
(a) He believes one can be in love with a woman without wishing to spend his life with her.
(b) He believes all marriages are built on love.
(c) He believes marriage is strictly a business arrangement and love is not involved.
(d) He believes you can only truly love your spouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
2. How old is Charlie?
3. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
4. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
5. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)