|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He disapproves of singing.
(b) He prefers to sing solos.
(c) He is self-conscious.
(d) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
2. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
(b) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(c) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(d) The believe he has been working too hard.
3. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) A sandalwood chest.
(c) A bed.
(d) The floor.
4. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
5. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
(a) The Governor.
(d) A distinguished general.
6. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
7. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
(a) He is very jovial and out-going.
(b) He has a nasty temper.
(c) He is very shy and quiet.
(d) He is very good at making witty remarks.
8. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(b) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(c) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
(d) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
9. What determines Kitty's social position in Hong Kong?
(a) Her husband's occupation.
(b) The type of attire she wears.
(c) The size of her home.
(d) The connections of her family.
10. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
11. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She is indifferent to him.
(b) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She despises him.
12. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
(a) He thinks it is very generous.
(b) He thinks it is callous and cruel.
(c) He thinks Walter made it strictly for professional reasons.
(d) He has no opinion on the ultimatum.
13. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Divorce Kitty.
(b) Try to get Charlie fired.
(c) Alert Charlie's spouse.
(d) Do nothing or ignore it.
14. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A small photograph of himself.
(b) A drink of brandy.
(c) A comforting shawl.
(d) A love note.
15. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Mortal sadness.
(c) Haughty conceit.
(d) Intense anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What position does Charlie hold?
3. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
4. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
5. What instrument does Charlie play?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)