|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
(a) He doesn't want Dorothy to find out.
(b) He doesn't want it to hurt his career.
(c) He's worried about being excommunicated.
(d) He doesn't want his children to find out.
2. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful mother.
(b) She is a wonderful hostess.
(c) She is extremely attractive.
(d) She has marvelous fashion sense.
3. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) They stay in London.
(b) A bustling village by the sea.
(c) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
(d) They go abroad to different countries.
5. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
(a) It bores him to talk about himself.
(b) He cannot remember the things she asks him about.
(c) He likes to be in control of the direction of the conversation.
(d) He doesn't want Kitty to know about his past.
6. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
(a) Divorce Kitty.
(b) Try to get Charlie fired.
(c) Do nothing or ignore it.
(d) Alert Charlie's spouse.
7. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
(a) A neighbor tells her.
(b) She sees his gloves on the entry table.
(c) The servant boy tells her.
(d) Walter tells her.
8. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
(b) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
(c) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(d) There is a cholera epidemic there.
9. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) A close friend asked him to change it.
(b) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(c) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(d) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
10. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
(a) She was unaware that Walter was in love with her.
(b) Walter had not asked permission of her father.
(c) They didn't know each other well.
(d) Walter had mentioned he did not wish to marry.
11. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
(a) He would rather talk to Kitty than eat.
(b) Kitty's beauty distracts him.
(c) He is feeling ill.
(d) He is not hungry.
12. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
13. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
(a) He has a nasty temper.
(b) He is very jovial and out-going.
(c) He is very good at making witty remarks.
(d) He is very shy and quiet.
14. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
(a) He rushes out to a business appointment.
(b) He locks the door and stays with Kitty.
(c) He goes down and pays the curio shop owner.
(d) He goes for his regular tiffin.
15. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
(b) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
(c) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
(d) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
2. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
3. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
4. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
5. What item does Charlie leave downstairs during his rendezvous with Kitty in Chapter 1?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)