|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Kitty and Charlie decide to meet?
(a) Her house.
(b) The lounge at the Hong Kong Hotel.
(c) His office.
(d) Ku-Chou's, the curio shop.
2. What hygiene tip does Charlie give Kitty to help avoid cholera?
(a) He tells to apply lavendar oil to her skin twice daily.
(b) He tells her to boil her drinking water and not eat any raw foods.
(c) He tells her to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, as long as they've been properly cleaned.
(d) He tells her to bathe daily and sleep with a mosquito net.
3. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(b) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
(c) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(d) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
4. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(b) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(c) The time has come for him to return to work.
(d) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
5. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(b) He was a professor of medicine.
(c) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(d) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
6. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A small photograph of himself.
(b) A drink of brandy.
(c) A love note.
(d) A comforting shawl.
7. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
(b) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
(c) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
(d) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
8. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
(a) He locks the door and stays with Kitty.
(b) He goes down and pays the curio shop owner.
(c) He rushes out to a business appointment.
(d) He goes for his regular tiffin.
9. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
10. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) A bed.
(c) A sandalwood chest.
(d) The floor.
11. What position does Charlie hold?
(a) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
(b) King's Counsel.
(d) Colonial Governor.
12. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(b) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(c) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
(d) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
13. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
(b) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
(c) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
(d) That she is going to file for divorce.
14. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
15. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He is a successful businessman.
(b) He lives primarily from investments.
(c) He is a government bacteriologist.
(d) He is an attorney.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
2. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
3. How old is Charlie?
4. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
5. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)