|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She is constantly angry with him.
(b) She is deeply in love with him.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
2. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(b) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(c) A note from Walter with a book.
(d) Her lost cat.
3. What does Walter threaten to do if Kitty will not accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He will put her under house arrest in Hong Kong while he is gone.
(b) He will file a petition for divorce.
(c) He will go alone.
(d) He will kill himself.
4. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
(a) They quarrel constantly.
(b) They are excellent friends.
(c) They are happily in love.
(d) They are completely indifferent to each other.
5. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
(b) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(c) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(d) A close friend asked him to change it.
6. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(b) The believe he has been working too hard.
(c) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
(d) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
7. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(b) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(c) He says he has work to do.
(d) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
8. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(b) At a government ball.
(c) At a dinner held at his house.
(d) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
9. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
10. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
(a) He is wearing spectacles.
(b) He is very informally attired.
(c) He is dressed for a polo game.
(d) He is wearing a pin that his wife gave him.
11. What honor does Charlie suppose Walter will receive for volunteering in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) The C.M.G.
(b) An advancement in his career.
(c) The purple heart.
(d) A title.
12. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
(a) He is self-conscious.
(b) He disapproves of singing.
(c) He prefers to sing solos.
(d) Kitty forbids him to sing, as he has a horrible singing voice.
13. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(b) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(c) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
(d) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
14. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(b) He says Walter is a great reader.
(c) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(d) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
15. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
(b) A distinguished general.
(c) The Governor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
2. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
3. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
4. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
5. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)