|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
(a) At his home.
(b) At a favorite restaurant.
(c) At his office.
(d) At the curio shop.
2. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She is too nervous to go to his office.
(b) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
(c) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(d) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
3. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
(a) The Peak.
(b) Victoria Road.
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Providence Heights.
4. Where does Walter propose to Kitty?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) The park.
(c) At a social dance.
(d) In her sitting room.
5. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(b) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(c) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
(d) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
6. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(b) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(c) Her lost cat.
(d) A note from Walter with a book.
7. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
8. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(b) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
(c) He says Walter is a great reader.
(d) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
9. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) A sandalwood chest.
(b) A bed.
(c) The floor.
(d) An antique divan.
10. What position does Charlie hold?
(b) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
(c) Colonial Governor.
(d) King's Counsel.
11. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
(a) To call Walter and tell a small lie.
(b) To leave the house immediately.
(c) To sit tight.
(d) To invite over a friend.
12. After Kitty and Charlie consummate their affair, how does she feel?
(a) She is confused and upset at the circumstances.
(b) She is sad and distracted.
(c) She is intensely guilty.
(d) She feels no different than before.
13. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
14. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful mother.
(b) She has marvelous fashion sense.
(c) She is extremely attractive.
(d) She is a wonderful hostess.
15. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(b) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
(c) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(d) She likes irritating her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
2. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
3. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
4. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
5. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)