|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
(b) She hears someone calling for her.
(c) A breeze through the open window gives her a shudder.
(d) She heard a commotion outside.
2. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
(a) The Peak.
(b) Providence Heights.
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Victoria Road.
3. How does Charlie describe his feelings for Dorothy?
(a) They are happily in love.
(b) They are completely indifferent to each other.
(c) They quarrel constantly.
(d) They are excellent friends.
4. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a professor of medicine.
(b) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(c) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(d) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
5. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
6. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
(a) She doesn't know exactly what he does.
(b) She feels his job is not very significant or important.
(c) She feels it is an unimportant detail.
(d) Walter has told her not to tell people about his work.
7. How old is Charlie?
8. What item does Charlie leave downstairs during his rendezvous with Kitty in Chapter 1?
(a) A letter.
(b) His topee, or hat.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His cane.
9. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(b) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(c) A close friend asked him to change it.
(d) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
10. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
11. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
12. After Kitty and Charlie are done discussing Walter, what does Charlie do?
(a) He locks the door and stays with Kitty.
(b) He goes down and pays the curio shop owner.
(c) He rushes out to a business appointment.
(d) He goes for his regular tiffin.
13. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) That she is going to file for divorce.
(b) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
(c) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
(d) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
14. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(b) He says Walter is a great reader.
(c) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(d) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
15. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
Short Answer Questions
1. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
2. Who took Kitty into dinner at Government House when they first arrived in Hong Kong?
3. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
4. Why does Walter have difficulty sleeping when he is subpoenaed for court?
5. What plans do Kitty and Walter have for their evening in Chapter 21?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)