|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
(b) She is an expert at small talk.
(c) She is good at settling disagreements.
(d) She is quiet and unassuming.
2. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
3. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
(a) No suitors meet her critera in either position or income.
(b) She is in love with someone who is already engaged.
(c) She likes irritating her mother.
(d) She enjoys the single scene and does not wish to marry.
4. Why does Walter tell Kitty he wants her to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu?
(a) He says she will get to see him work firsthand.
(b) He says she will comfort and cheer him.
(c) He thinks she'll find it very relaxing.
(d) He thinks she'll be a good work assistant.
5. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
(a) A flower.
(b) His hankerchief.
(c) Her bag.
(d) A shoe horn.
6. How old is Charlie?
7. What determines Kitty's social position in Hong Kong?
(a) The connections of her family.
(b) Her husband's occupation.
(c) The type of attire she wears.
(d) The size of her home.
8. When discussing their affair, what accusation does Charlie make about Kitty that angers her greatly?
(a) He claims she wants to ruin his career.
(b) He claims that she prodded him into having the affair.
(c) He accuses her of telling Walter of their affair.
(d) He accuses her of telling Dorothy of their affair.
9. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
(a) She finds him amusing and has a platonic affection for him.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She is deeply in love with him.
(d) She is constantly angry with him.
10. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
(a) He was a prominent attorney.
(b) Colonial Governor.
(c) Regional General Secretary.
(d) He was an established merchant.
11. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He is having an affair of his own.
(b) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
(c) He has grown tired of her.
(d) He loves her and is a gentleman.
12. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(b) He says he has work to do.
(c) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(d) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
13. How old is Charlie's oldest child?
14. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He is an attorney.
(b) He is a successful businessman.
(c) He is a government bacteriologist.
(d) He lives primarily from investments.
15. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) The floor.
(b) An antique divan.
(c) A sandalwood chest.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Walter join in singing with others at a party?
2. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
3. Who does Kitty initially blame for her mistake in marriage?
4. What type of books does Walter like to read?
5. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)