|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(b) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
(c) The time has come for him to return to work.
(d) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
2. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A bear.
(d) A mouse.
3. Why does Kitty think that Walter will allow a divorce if he was to find out about the affair?
(a) He is having an affair of his own.
(b) He is intimidated by Charlie's position.
(c) He loves her and is a gentleman.
(d) He has grown tired of her.
4. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She is too nervous to go to his office.
(b) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(c) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
(d) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
5. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
(a) He doesn't want Kitty to know about his past.
(b) It bores him to talk about himself.
(c) He likes to be in control of the direction of the conversation.
(d) He cannot remember the things she asks him about.
6. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
(a) She is good at settling disagreements.
(b) She is an expert at small talk.
(c) She is quiet and unassuming.
(d) She has a beautiful singing voice to entertain.
7. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
(a) That she and Walter are more in love than ever.
(b) That she is expecting a baby.
(c) That she has discovered an Asian beauty secret.
(d) That she has begun an illicit affair.
8. What compliment does Charlie regularly pay Dorothy?
(a) She is a wonderful mother.
(b) She is a wonderful hostess.
(c) She is extremely attractive.
(d) She has marvelous fashion sense.
9. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(b) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
(c) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
(d) Her mother threatens to disown her.
10. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
11. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
(a) To invite over a friend.
(b) To call Walter and tell a small lie.
(c) To sit tight.
(d) To leave the house immediately.
12. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
(b) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(c) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(d) A close friend asked him to change it.
13. In Chapter 21, for what reason do others suppose that Walter is pale?
(a) They suspect he knows about Kitty's affair.
(b) They believe his is dreadfully ill.
(c) They don't notice anything different in his appearance.
(d) The believe he has been working too hard.
14. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(b) There is a cholera epidemic there.
(c) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
(d) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
15. After dinner what excuse does Walter give to leave Kitty alone?
(a) He says he is tired and goes to bed.
(b) He says he has an engagement at his men's club and leaves the house.
(c) He says he has a headache and goes to take a bath.
(d) He says he has work to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Charlie play?
2. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
3. What type of books does Walter like to read?
4. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
5. Why does Kitty refuse so many proposals?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)