|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Charlie give for being unable to eat his meal?
(a) He is feeling ill.
(b) He is not hungry.
(c) He would rather talk to Kitty than eat.
(d) Kitty's beauty distracts him.
2. How many children do Charlie and Dorothy have?
3. Why does Kitty insist on meeting Charlie in person the following day?
(a) She hopes to convince him to run away with her.
(b) She is in need of comfort and wants to be near him.
(c) She is afraid to discuss details over the phone.
(d) She is too nervous to go to his office.
4. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) A sandalwood chest.
(c) A bed.
(d) The floor.
5. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
(a) 55, but she claims to be 40.
6. Why has Mei-tan-fu been frequently in the newspapers?
(a) There has recently been a historical significant finding there.
(b) There is a cholera epidemic there.
(c) It is a highly publicized vacation place of the rich and famous.
(d) It has not been mentioned in the newspapers.
7. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Her lost cat.
(b) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(c) A note from Walter with a book.
(d) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
8. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
(a) He doesn't want his children to find out.
(b) He's worried about being excommunicated.
(c) He doesn't want Dorothy to find out.
(d) He doesn't want it to hurt his career.
9. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
(a) A bright red kimono.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) A pale yellow dress.
(d) Her pale blue dancing gown.
10. When Kitty and Charlie meet in Chapter 20, what does the room smell like?
(d) Furniture polish.
11. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
(a) Glazed indifference.
(b) Intense anger.
(c) Mortal sadness.
(d) Haughty conceit.
12. In Chapter 27, when Kitty returns home what does Kitty tell Walter?
(a) That she is going to file for divorce.
(b) She does not speak to him and avoids him completely.
(c) That she is going to accompany him to Mei-tan-fu.
(d) She begs for forgiveness and tells him she loves him.
13. How soon after her marriage does Kitty realize she's made a mistake?
(a) Three days.
(b) She doesn't think she made a mistake.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
14. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(b) He says Walter is a great reader.
(c) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(d) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
15. Before Walter specialized as a bacteriologist, what did he do for his vocation?
(a) He was a researcher who specialized in soil properties.
(b) He was a professor of medicine.
(c) He was an M.D. who did general work in a hospital.
(d) He was a translator who worked in a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Charlie's eyes?
2. When Kitty calls Charlie at the end of Chapter 5, what does he advise her?
3. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
4. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
5. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)