Short Answer Key
Preface through Chapter 5
1. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
2. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
3. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
Someone tries to open the door to the room she is in.
4. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
5. What item does Charlie leave downstairs during his rendezvous with Kitty in Chapter 1?
His topee, or hat.
6. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
The amah, or Chinese servant.
7. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?...
This section contains 2,941 words|
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)