|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 70 through 80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Nuns do with infants as soon as they come into the convent?
(a) Feed them.
(b) Sing to them.
(c) Innocluate them against cholera.
(d) Baptize them.
2. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(b) The time has come for him to return to work.
(c) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
(d) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
3. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
(a) He was an established merchant.
(b) Colonial Governor.
(c) He was a prominent attorney.
(d) Regional General Secretary.
4. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
(a) The beginning signs of cholera.
(b) A broken heart.
(c) A headache.
(d) Incredible guilt.
5. Where is Walter buried?
(a) His body is interred in Hong Kong.
(b) In a Mei-tan-fu cemetery.
(c) His body is sent back to England.
(d) He is cremated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
2. What position does Charlie hold?
3. What experience does Mother Superior recount to Kitty in Chapter 60?
4. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
5. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)