|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 40 through 48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Kitty relate Charlie's nerve to?
(a) A bear.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A lion.
(d) A mouse.
2. Why doesn't Kitty like Charlie's wife's name?
(a) It reminds her of her mother.
(b) It is difficult to remember.
(c) She feels the name dates a person.
(d) She dislikes her own name and is jealous.
3. How does Waddington regard the Catholic nuns of the convent?
(a) He thinks their devotion is a certain kind of madness.
(b) He is awed by their selfless sacrifice.
(c) He thinks their devotion to humanity is misplaced.
(d) He doesn't find them very devoted.
4. Who is the first person Kitty meets when she reaches her new home in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) A new servant.
(b) Mother Superior.
(d) A messanger with a note from Charlie.
5. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
(d) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
2. What does Waddington think of Dorothy?
3. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
4. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
5. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)