|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 22 through 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie leave the sitting room in Chapter 1?
(a) The time has come for him to return to work.
(b) He is afraid of being caught there by Walter.
(c) He has a quarrel with Kitty.
(d) He is meeting his wife for lunch.
2. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) Small talk annoys him.
(b) He wants to hurt her feelings.
(c) He has nothing to say.
(d) He doesn't hear her.
3. After being startled in Chapter 1, what item does Charlie give Kitty?
(a) A flower.
(b) Her bag.
(c) His hankerchief.
(d) A shoe horn.
4. What is Walter's occupation?
(a) He is a successful businessman.
(b) He is a government bacteriologist.
(c) He is an attorney.
(d) He lives primarily from investments.
5. After Kitty and Walter's discussion of divorce, where does she go to meet Charlie?
(a) At the curio shop.
(b) At his home.
(c) At his office.
(d) At a favorite restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Walter propose to Kitty?
2. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
3. What determines Kitty's social position in Hong Kong?
4. How old is Kitty when she becomes engaged?
5. When Kitty catches Walter's glance through the course of the meal, what expression does she see in his eyes?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)