|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 22 through 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the current Colonial Secretary?
2. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
(a) She thinks he is the best dancer she had ever partnered.
(b) She doesn't know as he refuses to dance with her.
(c) She thinks he is a fair, but undistinguished dancer.
(d) She thinks he is a terrible dancer.
3. In Chapter 5, upon returning to the sitting room, what does Kitty see?
(a) Charlie's misplaced hat.
(b) Her lost cat.
(c) Charlie's empty brandy glass.
(d) A note from Walter with a book.
4. What position does Charlie hold?
(a) Colonial Governor.
(b) King's Counsel.
(d) Assistant Colonial Secretary.
5. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) A bustling village by the sea.
(b) They go abroad to different countries.
(c) They stay in London.
(d) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent makes Mrs. Garstin a valuable dinner guest?
2. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
3. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
4. In Hong Kong, why is Kitty vague about Walter's job to others?
5. What does Charlie think is the best way to understand a man?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)