|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 58 through 69.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Walter discovers that Kitty is pregnant what does he offer her?
(a) He offers to bring her mother to Mei-tan-fu.
(b) He offers to divorce her so she can marry Charlie.
(c) He offers her forgiveness.
(d) He offers her an escort to leave Mei-tan-fu.
2. Why does Kitty attend the daily services in the chapel with the other nuns and children?
(a) Walter has pressured her to attend them.
(b) She finds it restful.
(c) Mother Superior has asked her to attend them.
(d) She is worried about offending Mother Superior by not attending.
3. What compliment does Mother Superior pay Kitty when she sees her in disarray in Chapter 52?
(a) She tells Kitty she has a soothing voice.
(b) She compliments Kitty on her hard work.
(c) She doesn't compliment, but reprimands Kitty instead.
(d) She tells Kitty she is very beautiful.
4. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(b) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
(c) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(d) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
5. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
(a) She has a nightmare of becoming an old maid.
(b) She falls in love with him and realizes he is leaving the country.
(c) Her younger sister becomes engaged.
(d) Her mother threatens to disown her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kitty arrives at the convent to offer her services in Chapter 48, why is Mother Superior crying?
2. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
3. How does Kitty feel when she sees Walter and realizes he knows of the affair?
4. During Kitty and Walter's discussion in Chapter 47, what does Kitty suppose Walter to be suffering from?
5. When Kitty asks Walter what plans he has for their future after Mei-tan-fu, what is his response?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)