Preface through Chapter 5
• The preface tells us the novel was inspired by an interpretation of a line from Dante's Purgatorio.
• Kitty & Charlie are having an adulterous affair.
• During a rendezvous at Kitty's house, they hear someone outside the bedroom door.
• Kitty is nervous it is her husband, but Charlie convinces her it was a servant.
• They move from the bedroom to the sitting room where Charlie reassures the nervous Kitty.
• Kitty claims that if it was her husband, it was still worth it as she loves Charlie.
• Charlie leaves for work.
• Kitty reflects that it was unwise to meet at her home. Usually she meets Charlie at the home of a Chinese curio dealer.
• Charlie is married, but Kitty dislikes his wife, whom she describes as superficial.
• Kitty is unhappy with her social situation in Hong Kong, which is mainly based upon her husband's occupation.
• Her husband, Walter...
This section contains 3,034 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)