|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What debris does a nuclear explosion create?
(c) Acid rain.
2. What does the picture of a mammoth pulling a merry-go-round illustrate?
(b) Gears and belts.
(d) Blocks and tackles.
3. Upon what principle does a pulley work?
(a) The amount of work required is halved by the amount of effort.
(b) The rotation of one gear pulls the other.
(c) It is easier to pull something down rather than up.
(d) It is easier to overcome gravity than force.
4. What controls direction on a ship?
(a) A screw.
(b) A drive.
(c) A valve.
(d) A rudder.
5. How many ways can heat travel?
6. What causes increased heat in the process of conduction?
(a) Electronic transfers.
(b) Increased movement.
7. What is a fulcrum?
(a) A point at which inertia is overcome.
(b) A pivot point.
(c) A formula for determining energy needed to do work.
(d) A special sort of wedge.
8. In flying, what is used to overcome weight from gravity?
(a) Lift created by the nose.
(b) Lift created by the rudder.
(c) Lift created by the tiller.
(d) Lift created by the airfoil.
9. How does a rocket engine power the craft?
(a) By the turning of a propeller.
(b) By the combustion of two propellants.
(c) By the combustion of one propellant.
(d) By nuclear fusion.
10. What are large fins which adjust their tilt to compensate for waves?
11. What emits both infrared and light rays?
(a) A planet.
(b) The moon.
(c) A light bulb.
(d) The sun.
12. In how many elements did the Greek believe?
13. What is the formula for work done?
(a) Distance plus effort.
(b) Effort times gravitational force.
(c) Effort multiplied by distance.
(d) Distance divided by strength.
14. What is the effort you put in combined with the distance over which the effort is done?
(d) Mendal's law.
15. What is one example the author uses of a wedge?
(a) An escalator.
(b) A block and tackle system.
(c) A ship's ramp.
(d) A type of door stop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common form of inclined plane found in machines?
2. What is a substance that contains only one type of atom?
3. What is an object's weight divided by its volume?
4. Through what can heat not travel?
5. What does the inclined plane do?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)