|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two things that can happen to light rays?
(a) They can be reflected or absorbed.
(b) They can be destroyed by gamma rays.
(c) They can be dissipated.
(d) They can be dissolved.
2. What happens if the edges of the two wheels touch?
(a) The one will stop the other wheel.
(b) Nothing unless they have cams.
(c) The one wheel will wear out faster than the other.
(d) The rotation of one will cause the other to rotate.
3. What does increasing heat do to molecules?
(b) It increases the movement of molecules.
(c) It makes them break apart.
(d) It slows them down.
4. Why does a thermos lose heat?
(a) The heat can travel through the stopper.
(b) The molecules eventually slow down.
(c) The oxygen absorbs the heat.
(d) The argon absorbs the heat.
5. What is a first-class lever?
(a) Where the effort and the load are equal distances from the fulcrum.
(b) Where there is no load needed for the effort.
(c) Where the effort is a greater distance from the fulcrum than the load.
(d) Where the distance is further from the fulcrum than the effort.
6. What causes sideways movements of a ship?
(a) Thrusters and stabilizers.
(c) Jone's principle.
7. What are the effects of electricity?
(a) Heat, light, and magnetism.
(b) Only light.
(c) It depends on the amperage.
(d) Only magnetism.
8. When an object absorbs light rays, how is the energy held in the object?
(a) As inertial energy.
(b) There is no energy involved.
(c) As heat.
(d) As kinetic energy.
9. What is the resistance of an object to any change in its speed or direction?
10. What does the inclined plane do?
(a) Extends the distance to a rise.
(b) Increases effort.
(c) Decreases effort.
(d) Decreases gravitational force.
11. In how many elements did the Greek believe?
12. What is one example the author uses of a wedge?
(a) An escalator.
(b) A block and tackle system.
(c) A type of door stop.
(d) A ship's ramp.
13. What is the most common form of inclined plane found in machines?
(a) The rods.
(b) The rocker.
(c) The wedge.
(d) The pully.
14. Where are wheels and axles found?
(a) Wherever there is rotary motion.
(b) Where a spoke and center come together.
(c) On all pulley systems.
(d) Just on cars and bikes.
15. What causes increased heat in the process of conduction?
(a) Electronic transfers.
(b) Increased movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many forces hold things together?
2. What is the principle that states energy is neither created nor destroyed?
3. What imparts movement into the air or water around them on a ship?
4. What does a driving force initiate?
5. What does the picture of a mammoth pulling a merry-go-round illustrate?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)