|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What debris does a nuclear explosion create?
(a) Acid rain.
2. What causes sideways movements of a ship?
(b) Jone's principle.
(d) Thrusters and stabilizers.
3. What is the factor which determines an object's ability to float?
4. What happens when molecules are squeezed or stretched beyond the boundaries of their comfortable balance?
(a) They remain in an uneasy balance.
(b) The molecules dissipate into individual atoms that can be lost or destroyed.
(c) The molecules are driven to return to that balance.
(d) The molecules are driven to remain unbalanced.
5. Upon how many major principles do propellers and rudders work?
6. What is applied to a lever to make it move?
(b) Gravitational pull.
7. What imparts movement into the air or water around them on a ship?
8. What is suction referred to in the act of flying?
9. What is one example the author uses of a wedge?
(a) A block and tackle system.
(b) A ship's ramp.
(c) An escalator.
(d) A type of door stop.
10. Under normal circumstances, what force(s) does a molecule possess?
(a) The force of electron splitting.
(b) The force of energy times matter.
(c) The force to overcome inertia.
(d) An attracting force and a repelling force.
11. What happens when you exert your strength across a longer distance?
(a) Your effort is reduced so you can take advantage of your greater strength.
(b) Nothing happens. It is all balanced by the decreased work required.
(c) Your effort is reduced, and your lesser strength becomes sufficient.
(d) Your effort is reduced, but your strength has to be increased.
12. What do you have to use in order to accomplish work with half the effort?
(a) Ten percent of the distance multiplied by one-third of the effort.
(b) Half the distance.
(c) Twice the distance.
(d) One-third the distance.
13. What does the inclined plane do?
(a) Decreases effort.
(b) Increases effort.
(c) Decreases gravitational force.
(d) Extends the distance to a rise.
14. What contains one element which is the detonator and another reactive element which acts as the propellant?
15. What is the action of something burning?
(d) Molecular deceleration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when molecules begin vibrating in a solid, then speed up their vibration when heated?
2. What are tanks that take in water to increase the density of the craft?
3. What does the Mechanics of Movement explore?
4. What controls the movement in a gear system?
5. Why does a thermos lose heat?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)