|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Harnassing the Elements, Exploiting Heat, Nuclear Power, pp. 142-173.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main idea in Part 2 of the book?
(a) The way atoms can be made more dense.
(b) The way work can cause energy to dissipate.
(c) The way force can be exerted to change atomic structure.
(d) Exploring the bonds of attraction and the movement of molecules to and from each other.
2. What do you have to use in order to accomplish work with half the effort?
(a) Twice the distance.
(b) One-third the distance.
(c) Half the distance.
(d) Ten percent of the distance multiplied by one-third of the effort.
3. What controls direction on a ship?
(a) A drive.
(b) A valve.
(c) A screw.
(d) A rudder.
4. What happens when molecules are squeezed or stretched beyond the boundaries of their comfortable balance?
(a) The molecules are driven to return to that balance.
(b) The molecules are driven to remain unbalanced.
(c) The molecules dissipate into individual atoms that can be lost or destroyed.
(d) They remain in an uneasy balance.
5. What does one have to understand in order to understand the way things work?
(a) The reason something is made.
(b) The function of something.
(c) The terms of physics.
(d) The underlying principle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two things that can happen to light rays?
2. What is one example the author uses of a wedge?
3. What is applied to a lever to make it move?
4. Where are wheels and axles found?
5. How many types of gears are there?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)