|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Master's moves in the game do for his position?
2. What move by the Master does Otake consider a brilliant one that leaves him in a tough spot?
3. Out of respect for what do the judges not want to make the Master wait?
4. After the play of what move does Otake take the offensive and the advantage?
5. Who asks to play a game of go on the train home with Uragami?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is play in August delayed, initially?
2. Why is Uragami coming and going in between sessions of the game of go?
3. Why is the judge not able to find Black 121, initially?
4. What does Otake threaten to do that the Master does not know about?
5. Why does Uragami think Otake takes so long to play his move?
6. What does Uragami say will happen if Otake forfeits the game?
7. Why do the judges and organizers appeal to Otake to play?
8. Why does Otake think the Master should not play in August?
9. How do the Master and Otake spend their time during the rest period?
10. Why are amateurs disappointed in the game, according to Uragami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book The Master of Go? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one instance of irony in The Master of Go. Cite at least two examples that you can identify in the book and note why they were examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The Master of Go is written primarily in the first-person point of view of Uragami. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)