|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Master played with Wu, what allegations were made about the Master?
2. Who greets the Master in his room when he is bent over oddly?
3. What does the Master's odd bent position remind Uragami of?
4. What does Otake say he will do instead of changing rules?
5. What is the Master hospitalized for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ceremony for the game of go described by Yasunari?
2. What does Uragami admit to having for the Master?
3. Why is the Master not a popular opponent?
4. Why does the Master go into another room with his white stone?
5. Why is Otake willing to forfeit the game?
6. Why is Otake teased in the newspaper articles about the match?
7. What is the controversy surrounding the match he had with Wu?
8. Why do Uragami and the Master's wife take the Master to the sea in between sessions?
9. What is the ceremonial opening for the go game like?
10. How does Kawabata frame the novel through Chapters 2 and 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kawabata employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
The Master of Go is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Kawabata uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book The Master of Go? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)