|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Koyokan?
2. How does Uragami travel after the match to go home?
3. What does Uragami see in the features of the Master?
4. What polite practice does the Master fail to do?
5. How many children does the Master have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ceremony for the game of go described by Yasunari?
2. What does the Master do that reveals his intensely competitive nature?
3. Why do many players play with the Master?
4. Why does Uragami think the Master plays with Otake?
5. How does the Master act during the game of go that is revealed in his breathing?
6. Why is Otake willing to forfeit the game?
7. How does Uragami describe himself?
8. How are the two players described in the beginning of the book?
9. What are some concessions made for the game that seem very difficult to follow?
10. How does Uragami explain why the Master fails to thank people on his own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kawabata employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Otake's initial foray into game playing. What did he enjoy about it? What were his concerns? When The Master got offered a prestigious title, how did this change his life? What new skills did he acquire?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in The Game of Go. Which of the individuals were lonely? Were they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)