|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Otake play with black stones?
(a) He likes black.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is of lower rank.
(d) He is of higher rank.
2. When was the Master's last game played over, in 14 sessions?
(a) Over 6 months.
(b) Over 3 months.
(c) Over 2 months.
(d) Over 4 months.
3. What role does the Master play in his art?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a guest.
(c) He is a martyr.
(d) He is a student.
4. What does Uragami notice about the Master's right eyebrow?
(a) It is temperamental.
(b) It is skewed.
(c) It is short.
(d) It has a single long hair.
5. How many hours does the Master require to play the game of go?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Master played with Wu, what allegations were made about the Master?
2. How many times does the Master break the rules on the first day?
3. How many years is the Master in retirement before he comes to play with Otake?
4. What do the players wear for the ceremonial opening of the game?
5. For what does the Master propose changes to rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uragami explain why the Master fails to thank people on his own?
2. Why is the Master not a popular opponent?
3. How does Kawabata frame the novel through Chapters 2 and 4?
4. How is the Master described before his death?
5. Why does Uragami think the Master plays with Otake?
6. Why does the Master play the white stones versus Otake, who plays with the black stones?
7. On the first day of play, what does Otake apologize for and why does he do this?
8. Why do Uragami and the Master's wife take the Master to the sea in between sessions?
9. What does the Master do that reveals his intensely competitive nature?
10. Why is Otake teased in the newspaper articles about the match?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)