|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Uragami meet Otake when he is upset with the Master?
(a) Outside the Koyokan.
(b) Outside the Yasunari.
(c) Inside the Kawabe.
(d) Inside the Hakone.
2. Where does Uragami take Otake the day after the Master goes on retreat?
(a) The same place.
(b) The tea house.
(c) A cliff.
(d) A pool.
3. Who is Maeda, in relationship to the Master?
(a) A disciple.
(b) A friend.
(c) A brother.
(d) A son.
4. Who makes an aggressive move during the fourth session of the game?
5. According to the agreement governing the match, where would the players move to an inn?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Master played with Wu, what allegations were made about the Master?
2. How does Uragami feel towards the Master?
3. After a delay of how many months does Otake make a suspicious play?
4. Who tells a story about a visitor with a crying baby while the Master is playing a game?
5. What kind of health condition is the Master in during the last game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Master not a popular opponent?
2. Why does Uragami feel touched by seeing the Master in the outbuilding?
3. What is the controversy surrounding the match he had with Wu?
4. Why does the Master go into another room with his white stone?
5. How does the Master reveal his desire for enough time to not worry about time in games?
6. How does the Master seem to have trouble understanding the new rules?
7. What is the ceremonial opening for the go game like?
8. How does Kawabata frame the novel through Chapters 2 and 4?
9. Why do many players play with the Master?
10. Why does the Master play the white stones versus Otake, who plays with the black stones?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)