• The Master or Shusei is quite small, weighing less than 70 pounds.
• He is married and has no children.
• Otake is a man of 30 with a wife and young children, as well as go students who live in his house with him.
• In Chapter 2, Kawabata describes the anguished appearance of Otake at the end of the game, as well as the Master's calm, emotionless demeanor after his defeat.
• This is contrasted in Chapter 4, as the action shifts to the beginning of the game when the two opponents share a pleasant social evening together, unaware of the "signs of discord" that will arise.
• The Master is in poor health and wishes to take more time between sessions.
• Otake is reluctant for reasons that will be made more clear once Kawabata begins to describe the events surrounding the game itself.
• The Master's appearance is frail, especially in...
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)