|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would know Emma was thinking of leaving town?
2. What does Madeline leave when she abruptly departs?
3. What does Madeline say Sutton tends to do?
4. What does Sutton indicate in an entry two days before the video Travis shows Emma?
5. Why do Emma and Ethan end up on a dirt road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Garrett become angry with Emma at the party?
2. What are the rules of the lying game?
3. Where does Emma go for a sleepover and why is Gabby disgruntled?
4. What does Becky say to Emma in a dream and what happens when Emma wakes from the dream?
5. How does Emma have a threatening encounter?
6. How does Ethan and Emma come to be on a deserted, dirt road?
7. How does Nisha try to humiliate Sutton?
8. Why are Emma and Sutton both upset when Emma arrives back to the Mercer house?
9. What does Emma figure Laurel could have done as far as luring Emma there and the note on Sutton's car?
10. Why does Emma tell Ethan the whole story about her being there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lying Game belongs to the mystery/thriller genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the mystery/thriller genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a mystery/thriller and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Sara Shepard.
2. What in Shepard's background may have helped him in writing The Lying Game? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Emma and Sutton. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Garrett and Ethan. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Lying Game help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)