|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Scramm from?
2. How much time did McVries have from the time he was notified until the walk would start?
3. Who says, "he died like a bug under a microscope"?
4. Who wants a lead sleeve in their coffin so that the rats don't get to him?
5. According to Stebbins, the average housewife walks how many miles a day without realizing it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Garraty's girlfriend said about his going on the Long Walk?
2. What does Garraty reveal about Jimmy Owens in Chapter 11?
3. What is Pearson's plan for when he feels like he can't go on and why won't it work, according to Garraty?
4. What would Garraty like to be doing on an 80-degree day if he weren't on the walk?
5. In Chapter 11, the boys are honored by the color guard. How do the Walkers respond and why?
6. When Garraty resumes walking in Chapter 13, why does he feel resentful?
7. What is more gruesome about Olson's murder than most of the previous ones? What reactions are there?
8. What upsets McVries about the boys in the leather jackets at the front?
9. What fear does Garraty begin obsessing over in Chapter 15, thanks to Stebbins, and why does it upset him so?
10. When it becomes inevitable that Scramm will die, what do the other Walkers decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mike and Scramm plan out the way they will end their lives, they sit down together to talk. However, Garraty notes that they aren't speaking the same language. What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dark figure beckoning to Garraty at the end of the book. What/who do you think it is?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Garraty is seconds away from getting his ticket. His internal monologue is rambling, but he keeps mentioning "the phone" and the sounds thundering around him. Discuss what Garraty was going through in those last minutes and what led to his getting up to rejoin the walk just in time.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)