|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number was Abraham drawn as from the list of Walkers?
2. Who keeps moving after being shot multiple times in Chapter 10?
3. What is the date when the Walkers pass through Oldtown?
4. What does Garraty tell McVries about Barkovitch winning in Chapter 9?
5. What road do the Walkers take out of Augusta?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, who is the Vegas favorite? What are his odds and why does it look like Vegas may be right?
2. When the Walkers reach the 115-mile mark at the beginning of Chapter 9, what locations do they still have ahead of them and in what direction are they headed?
3. What does Stebbins mean when he says to Garraty, "Maybe it's your edge"?
4. When Garraty resumes walking in Chapter 13, why does he feel resentful?
5. What upsets McVries about the boys in the leather jackets at the front?
6. Why does Garraty want to see Barkovitch in Chapter 14?
7. Why does Garraty feel a twinge of excitement when he sees a turnpike sign saying that Oldtown is sixteen miles away?
8. What does McVries do to try to keep Garraty from obsessing over the time?
9. Garraty was once frightened by a movie starting Robert Mitchum. What was the movie about and why is Garraty thinking about it?
10. What does Garraty reveal about Jimmy Owens in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author provides hints about the prize throughout the book. Scramm tells Garraty that most of the boys didn't "get into this thinking of winning the Prize" and implies that this is why they won't win. Later, Pearson indicates the Prize is having his heart's desire, but right now he would rather have his life. Discuss the significance of the Prize in the motivation of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
What would you have done if you were one of the Walkers? Would you still be walking to the end? What would your physical and emotional condition be?
Essay Topic 3
When it looks like Harkness is going to get his ticket, Garraty realizes logically that that will help him. What does he mean when he thinks, "But something went deeper, a truer, more frightening logic. Harkness was a part of the group that Garraty was a part of, a segment of his subclan."
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)