|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was one of the women in the crowd a standout in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 15, what Walker begins screaming repeatedly?
3. Who took the test on the spur of the moment because he had his Work Permit that allowed him into the gym?
4. Who says, "I still want to live" in Chapter 11?
5. Where did Garraty and Jan sometimes stop after going to the movies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pearson's plan for when he feels like he can't go on and why won't it work, according to Garraty?
2. How does Barkovitch die?
3. What does McVries do to try to keep Garraty from obsessing over the time?
4. Garraty was once frightened by a movie starting Robert Mitchum. What was the movie about and why is Garraty thinking about it?
5. In Garraty's mind, why are there probably pine trees planted on the median in Chapter 11?
6. What would Garraty like to be doing on an 80-degree day if he weren't on the walk?
7. Why does McVries pull Garraty away from his girlfriend?
8. What does McVries compare the walk to in Chapter 14?
9. When Garraty resumes walking in Chapter 13, why does he feel resentful?
10. Why does Garraty want to see Barkovitch in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Garraty becomes more tired, he begins thinking of Jan more as "the best thing he had every known" and about their first real kiss. Discuss how memories and images of her keep him walking.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Garraty is seconds away from getting his ticket. His internal monologue is rambling, but he keeps mentioning "the phone" and the sounds thundering around him. Discuss what Garraty was going through in those last minutes and what led to his getting up to rejoin the walk just in time.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, Abraham extracts a promise from Garraty that there's "no help for anybody. Do it on your own or don't do it." Why do the boys make this promise at this time? What does "root hog or die" refer to?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)