|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "My home is Barsoom, Mars"?
2. What does Garraty call the twelve miles of zigzag roads in Chapter 7?
3. How old is Garraty?
4. Whose rain hat flapped obscenely in a back pocket?
5. What lunch did Garraty's mom used to make for him and his father when they went hunting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
2. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
3. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
4. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
5. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
6. What happens with Hint 10 in Chapter 3?
7. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
8. Describe Garraty's hometown.
9. In Chapter 5, McVries believes he has discovered the secret to the race. What is it?
10. What happens to Walker number 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dark figure beckoning to Garraty at the end of the book. What/who do you think it is?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Garraty antagonizes Barkovitch, but in the next chapter, Stebbins does the same to him. Why does Garraty do it? Stebbins? Is it for the same or different reasons? Is it a conscious decision that either makes?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, Garraty tells the other boys that his dad was Squaded, and Baker talks about participating in something that was a Squading offense. In this book, the author has provided clues about the Squad. Discuss what you know about the Squad, and describe what you believe "Squaded" and "Squading" refers to.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)