|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Garraty's first real kiss and with whom?
2. In Chapter 6, what was the longest minute of the longest night of Garraty's entire life?
3. Who is writing down everyone's name and number at the beginning and for what purpose?
4. In Chapter 1, what is the skinny blond boy in the tree eating?
5. Who tries to sneak into the woods in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What food does Garraty wish for in Chapter 7?
2. Describe what happens between Rank and Barkovitch.
3. Describe the boy in the pine tree in Chapter 1.
4. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
5. Garraty wants to know why there aren't more people watching the Long Walk in Chapter 8. Who explains why and what is the explanation?
6. What happens with Hint 10 in Chapter 3?
7. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
8. Describe Garraty's hometown.
9. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
10. What happened to Baker's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, the reader finds out more about the reality that "The Long Walk" takes place when Stebbins says that the urge to do good is "when the old realities and moralities are starting to sink in. In the old days, before the Change and the Squads,...they used to set up foundations and build libraries..." Discuss what you believe led to the Change and the Squads and how life changed for people.
Essay Topic 2
The author provides hints about the prize throughout the book. Scramm tells Garraty that most of the boys didn't "get into this thinking of winning the Prize" and implies that this is why they won't win. Later, Pearson indicates the Prize is having his heart's desire, but right now he would rather have his life. Discuss the significance of the Prize in the motivation of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
When Mike and Scramm plan out the way they will end their lives, they sit down together to talk. However, Garraty notes that they aren't speaking the same language. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)