|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says or thinks, "I could just die laughing, wouldn't that be a scream"?
2. Who tells Barkovitch that he's not a pest anymore, but a murderer?
3. Whose rain hat flapped obscenely in a back pocket?
4. In Chapter 6, whom does Garraty realize is gone when he looks around at 4 a.m.?
5. What kind of car does Ray Garraty drive up in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McVries' breakdown in Chapter 6.
2. Describe the boy in the pine tree in Chapter 1.
3. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
4. Describe Garraty's mother.
5. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
6. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
7. Why does Garraty receive a warning in Chapter 1?
8. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
9. What happens to the boy named Travin?
10. What is the half-track?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, the reader finds out more about the reality that "The Long Walk" takes place when Stebbins says that the urge to do good is "when the old realities and moralities are starting to sink in. In the old days, before the Change and the Squads,...they used to set up foundations and build libraries..." Discuss what you believe led to the Change and the Squads and how life changed for people.
Essay Topic 2
As Garraty becomes more tired, he begins thinking of Jan more as "the best thing he had every known" and about their first real kiss. Discuss how memories and images of her keep him walking.
Essay Topic 3
Stephen King writes in the Introduction about the necessity of "killing" Richard Bachman. Explain why you think he must do this. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasons.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)