|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is compared to old silk in Chapter 1?
2. Who says, "My home is Barsoom, Mars"?
3. Olson says they've got infrared sweep-scopes in addition to how many kinds of monitoring gear?
4. Who gets his ticket after stopping with the girls by the MG?
5. How old is Stebbins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens between Rank and Barkovitch.
2. What happens to Percy's mother in Chapter 3?
3. What happens to the boy named Travin?
4. What happened to Baker's brother?
5. Describe the boy in the pine tree in Chapter 1.
6. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
7. Describe Garraty's mother.
8. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
9. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
10. Garraty wants to know why there aren't more people watching the Long Walk in Chapter 8. Who explains why and what is the explanation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author provides hints about the prize throughout the book. Scramm tells Garraty that most of the boys didn't "get into this thinking of winning the Prize" and implies that this is why they won't win. Later, Pearson indicates the Prize is having his heart's desire, but right now he would rather have his life. Discuss the significance of the Prize in the motivation of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
In the first two chapters, Garraty meets and makes a connection with other Walkers. He later says it was probably a mistake to have done so. Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dark figure beckoning to Garraty at the end of the book. What/who do you think it is?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)