|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Conserve energy whenever possible" is which hint?
2. How long has it been since Garraty has seen his father?
3. In Chapter 3, what tube did Garraty have for dinner?
4. Where does Davidson tell the others that he got drunk?
5. How old is Garraty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boy in the pine tree in Chapter 1.
2. What happened to Baker's brother?
3. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
4. What causes the boys to collectively groan in Chapter 4 and why?
5. What happens to Percy's mother in Chapter 3?
6. Describe Limestone.
7. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
8. Garraty feels a superior gratification in Chapter 6. Why?
9. Describe McVries' breakdown in Chapter 6.
10. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garraty is drawn to Stebbins, whom he believes is a "Buddha" with the answers. In Chapter 10, Stebbins tells Garraty to talk to Olson. Garraty asks Stebbins, "Is it a very important lesson, would you say?" Garraty then goes to Olson to learn the secret. Discuss what lessons and secrets that Garraty hopes to learn and how this scene foreshadows Olson's death.
Essay Topic 2
When it looks like Harkness is going to get his ticket, Garraty realizes logically that that will help him. What does he mean when he thinks, "But something went deeper, a truer, more frightening logic. Harkness was a part of the group that Garraty was a part of, a segment of his subclan."
Essay Topic 3
When Mike and Scramm plan out the way they will end their lives, they sit down together to talk. However, Garraty notes that they aren't speaking the same language. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)