Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Garraty's watch say when the Major begins the competition?
2. What was the profession of Baker's uncle?
3. Who gets his ticket after stopping with the girls by the MG?
4. In Chapter 2, who says, "I have no idea what I'll want if I do win this"?
5. "Conserve energy whenever possible" is which hint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
2. How does Barkovitch respond to Garraty's proposal in Chapter 12?
3. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
4. Why does Stebbins know so much about the Long Walk?
5. How does Abraham's life end?
6. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
7. Explain Parker's analogy about crackers and how they compare to the Walkers.
8. What does McVries do to try to keep Garraty from obsessing over the time?
9. What happened to Baker's brother?
10. What is Pearson's plan for when he feels like he can't go on and why won't it work, according to Garraty?
In Chapter 15, Baker says, "all we are is mice in a trap." Discuss this statement. Be sure to include whether you agree or disagree and why.
What would you have done if you were one of the Walkers? Would you still be walking to the end? What would your physical and emotional condition be?
Garraty is drawn to Stebbins, whom he believes is a "Buddha" with the answers. In Chapter 10, Stebbins tells Garraty to talk to Olson. Garraty asks Stebbins, "Is it a very important lesson, would you say?" Garraty then goes to Olson to learn the secret. Discuss what lessons and secrets that Garraty hopes to learn and how this scene foreshadows Olson's death.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)