|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who describes Barkovitch as "He's just walkin' to see other people die"?
2. How much is bet on the Long Walk each year?
3. What does Hint 12 recommend?
4. In Chapter 7, what game are Baker and Abraham playing?
5. "Conserve energy whenever possible" is which hint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens between Rank and Barkovitch.
2. What greets the Walkers when they walk into Caribou city limits?
3. What happened to Baker's brother?
4. What happens to Percy's mother in Chapter 3?
5. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
6. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
7. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
8. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
9. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
10. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garraty is drawn to Stebbins, whom he believes is a "Buddha" with the answers. In Chapter 10, Stebbins tells Garraty to talk to Olson. Garraty asks Stebbins, "Is it a very important lesson, would you say?" Garraty then goes to Olson to learn the secret. Discuss what lessons and secrets that Garraty hopes to learn and how this scene foreshadows Olson's death.
Essay Topic 2
In the first two chapters, Garraty meets and makes a connection with other Walkers. He later says it was probably a mistake to have done so. Why?
Essay Topic 3
Stephen King writes in the Introduction about the necessity of "killing" Richard Bachman. Explain why you think he must do this. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasons.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)