|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the abandoned, crumbling building have written across it?
2. Where does Davidson tell the others that he got drunk?
3. What is compared to old silk in Chapter 1?
4. Who approaches the Walkers at 5:30 a.m. on May 2?
5. Who wears horn-rimmed glasses with lenses like the bottom of Coke bottles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Garraty feels a superior gratification in Chapter 6. Why?
2. What greets the Walkers when they walk into Caribou city limits?
3. Describe what happens between Rank and Barkovitch.
4. What happens to Walker number 9?
5. Describe Limestone.
6. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
7. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
8. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
9. What happened to Baker's brother?
10. Why does Garraty receive a warning in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, Garraty antagonizes Barkovitch, but in the next chapter, Stebbins does the same to him. Why does Garraty do it? Stebbins? Is it for the same or different reasons? Is it a conscious decision that either makes?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, the reader finds out more about the reality that "The Long Walk" takes place when Stebbins says that the urge to do good is "when the old realities and moralities are starting to sink in. In the old days, before the Change and the Squads,...they used to set up foundations and build libraries..." Discuss what you believe led to the Change and the Squads and how life changed for people.
Essay Topic 3
Garraty observes a family having a picnic on the side of the road and calls them freaks for eating and watching as starving boys pass them by. Later, Stebbins refers to the Long Walk as the national pastime. Why do you think people line up to watch boys die?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)