|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to sneak into the woods in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 6, what was the longest minute of the longest night of Garraty's entire life?
3. When was Garraty's first real kiss and with whom?
4. Why says, "Sinless in thought, word, and deed"?
5. Whose rain hat flapped obscenely in a back pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Garraty's mother.
2. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
3. What happened to Baker's brother?
4. Why does Garraty receive a warning in Chapter 1?
5. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
6. Describe Garraty's hometown.
7. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
8. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
9. What happens to Walker number 9?
10. What is the half-track?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen King writes in the Introduction about the necessity of "killing" Richard Bachman. Explain why you think he must do this. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 16, Abraham extracts a promise from Garraty that there's "no help for anybody. Do it on your own or don't do it." Why do the boys make this promise at this time? What does "root hog or die" refer to?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, the reader finds out more about the reality that "The Long Walk" takes place when Stebbins says that the urge to do good is "when the old realities and moralities are starting to sink in. In the old days, before the Change and the Squads,...they used to set up foundations and build libraries..." Discuss what you believe led to the Change and the Squads and how life changed for people.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)