|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Baker regularly popping into his mouth in Chapter 8?
2. Whom does one of the highway repair men have ten bucks bet on?
3. Who says, "We want to die, that's why we're doing it"?
4. How is number 38 Gribble described in Chapter 3?
5. How old is Stebbins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
2. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
3. What happens to the boy named Travin?
4. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
5. Garraty feels a superior gratification in Chapter 6. Why?
6. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
7. How does McVries end up with a scar on his face?
8. Why does Garraty think of Stebbins as the "lean Buddha"?
9. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
10. Describe what happens between Rank and Barkovitch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Garraty becomes more tired, he begins thinking of Jan more as "the best thing he had every known" and about their first real kiss. Discuss how memories and images of her keep him walking.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Garraty is seconds away from getting his ticket. His internal monologue is rambling, but he keeps mentioning "the phone" and the sounds thundering around him. Discuss what Garraty was going through in those last minutes and what led to his getting up to rejoin the walk just in time.
Essay Topic 3
Stephen King writes in the Introduction about the necessity of "killing" Richard Bachman. Explain why you think he must do this. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasons.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)