|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Garraty's watch say when the Major begins the competition?
2. Who in Jefferson Plantation puts up a banner congratulating the Walkers on making the 100-mile mark and belonging to this year's "Century Club"?
3. Why does McVries get a warning in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Davidson tell the others that he got drunk?
5. What embarrasses Number 31 in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Hint 10 in Chapter 3?
2. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
3. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
4. What happens to Percy's mother in Chapter 3?
5. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
6. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
7. Describe McVries' breakdown in Chapter 6.
8. Garraty wants to know why there aren't more people watching the Long Walk in Chapter 8. Who explains why and what is the explanation?
9. Describe Garraty's hometown.
10. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Garraty becomes more tired, he begins thinking of Jan more as "the best thing he had every known" and about their first real kiss. Discuss how memories and images of her keep him walking.
Essay Topic 2
Good vs. evil is a theme in "The Long Walk". Most of the Walkers with the exception of Barkovitch are considered good. The soldiers and the Major are evil. Write about this aspect of the book. Is this solely affected by point of view or there other reasons that the soldiers are viewed as evil?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, Baker says, "all we are is mice in a trap." Discuss this statement. Be sure to include whether you agree or disagree and why.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)