|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town is mentioned in Chapter 2 as seven miles away?
2. Who describes Barkovitch as "He's just walkin' to see other people die"?
3. When Chapter 8 begins, Ray vows to wait until at least what time before he eats anything?
4. Who asks the other boys about enemas?
5. How many boys are still on the Long Walk when Chapter 4 ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McVries pull Garraty away from his girlfriend?
2. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
3. Why does Garraty feel a twinge of excitement when he sees a turnpike sign saying that Oldtown is sixteen miles away?
4. What food does Garraty wish for in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Limestone.
6. What happens when the next to last Walker falls?
7. When the Walkers reach the 115-mile mark at the beginning of Chapter 9, what locations do they still have ahead of them and in what direction are they headed?
8. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
9. What greets the Walkers when they walk into Caribou city limits?
10. What happens with Hint 10 in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, McVries notes the passing of their first cemetery, "our first boneyard." At this point, death is not something the boys can ignore anymore. Many realize that they will most likely die before this is all over because their can only be one winner. Explain how attitudes and expectations about death change during "The Long Walk".
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 16, Abraham extracts a promise from Garraty that there's "no help for anybody. Do it on your own or don't do it." Why do the boys make this promise at this time? What does "root hog or die" refer to?
Essay Topic 3
Stephen King writes in the Introduction about the necessity of "killing" Richard Bachman. Explain why you think he must do this. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasons.
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)