|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Garraty panics in Chapter 6 when none of the faces around him are familiar. What does he briefly wonder?
2. Who brought raw hamburger for the walk?
3. Who approaches the Walkers at 5:30 a.m. on May 2?
4. How much is bet on the Long Walk each year?
5. Who says that if he had a dollar that he would put it on Garraty to win?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
2. What is the half-track?
3. Sum up what the boys have to say about love and death in Chapter 4.
4. Why does Garraty think of Stebbins as the "lean Buddha"?
5. What happened to Baker's brother?
6. What causes the boys to collectively groan in Chapter 4 and why?
7. Describe Garraty's mother.
8. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
9. What food does Garraty wish for in Chapter 7?
10. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Good vs. evil is a theme in "The Long Walk". Most of the Walkers with the exception of Barkovitch are considered good. The soldiers and the Major are evil. Write about this aspect of the book. Is this solely affected by point of view or there other reasons that the soldiers are viewed as evil?
Essay Topic 2
Garraty observes a family having a picnic on the side of the road and calls them freaks for eating and watching as starving boys pass them by. Later, Stebbins refers to the Long Walk as the national pastime. Why do you think people line up to watch boys die?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, Garraty antagonizes Barkovitch, but in the next chapter, Stebbins does the same to him. Why does Garraty do it? Stebbins? Is it for the same or different reasons? Is it a conscious decision that either makes?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)