|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is number ten wearing when he gets shot?
2. When the boys "wake" in Chapter 6, what does McVries offer Garraty to eat?
3. Garraty recalls reading a story in eighth grade about the crowds that gather at fatal accidents. Who wrote the story?
4. How fast must the boys walk not to receive a warning?
5. Which Walker got his ticket after the first town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the boy named Travin?
2. Sum up what the boys have to say about love and death in Chapter 4.
3. Describe the boy in the pine tree in Chapter 1.
4. What begins with Davidson's story about the hoochie-kooch tent?
5. Garraty feels a superior gratification in Chapter 6. Why?
6. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
7. Garraty begins half-dozing while walking after leaving Caribou. What images go through his mind?
8. Describe McVries' breakdown in Chapter 6.
9. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
10. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first two chapters, Garraty meets and makes a connection with other Walkers. He later says it was probably a mistake to have done so. Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, Baker says, "all we are is mice in a trap." Discuss this statement. Be sure to include whether you agree or disagree and why.
Essay Topic 3
Good vs. evil is a theme in "The Long Walk". Most of the Walkers with the exception of Barkovitch are considered good. The soldiers and the Major are evil. Write about this aspect of the book. Is this solely affected by point of view or there other reasons that the soldiers are viewed as evil?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)