|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Garraty's watch say when the Major begins the competition?
2. What was the profession of Baker's uncle?
3. Who gets his ticket after stopping with the girls by the MG?
4. In Chapter 2, who says, "I have no idea what I'll want if I do win this"?
5. "Conserve energy whenever possible" is which hint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
2. How does Barkovitch respond to Garraty's proposal in Chapter 12?
3. What does Harkness want to do when the Long Walk ends?
4. Why does Stebbins know so much about the Long Walk?
5. How does Abraham's life end?
6. What causes Garraty to almost lose it in Chapter 8, and how does McVries help him?
7. Explain Parker's analogy about crackers and how they compare to the Walkers.
8. What does McVries do to try to keep Garraty from obsessing over the time?
9. What happened to Baker's brother?
10. What is Pearson's plan for when he feels like he can't go on and why won't it work, according to Garraty?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dark figure beckoning to Garraty at the end of the book. What/who do you think it is?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Garraty is seconds away from getting his ticket. His internal monologue is rambling, but he keeps mentioning "the phone" and the sounds thundering around him. Discuss what Garraty was going through in those last minutes and what led to his getting up to rejoin the walk just in time.
Essay Topic 3
The boys realize that there can only be one winner and that the sooner the others around them get their tickets, the sooner they can stop walking. Yet many of them continue to urge each other on, even though doing so extends their own suffering. Why do they do this?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)