|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Olson says they've got infrared sweep-scopes in addition to how many kinds of monitoring gear?
2. In Chapter 5, how many miles does Olson announce is it to Oldtown?
3. What is the third boy who gets shot wearing?
4. Garraty panics in Chapter 6 when none of the faces around him are familiar. What does he briefly wonder?
5. Who gets his ticket after stopping with the girls by the MG?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Hint 10 in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Garraty's mother.
3. Who is number 45, and what happens to him?
4. How does McVries end up with a scar on his face?
5. What happens to Walker number 9?
6. What happened to Baker's brother?
7. What happens to Curley in Chapter 2?
8. What happened two years ago at the marker post that Olson points to?
9. In Chapter 5, McVries believes he has discovered the secret to the race. What is it?
10. Who are the first spectators that the Walkers see soon after 5 a.m. in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Garraty becomes more tired, he begins thinking of Jan more as "the best thing he had every known" and about their first real kiss. Discuss how memories and images of her keep him walking.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, McVries notes the passing of their first cemetery, "our first boneyard." At this point, death is not something the boys can ignore anymore. Many realize that they will most likely die before this is all over because their can only be one winner. Explain how attitudes and expectations about death change during "The Long Walk".
Essay Topic 3
Good vs. evil is a theme in "The Long Walk". Most of the Walkers with the exception of Barkovitch are considered good. The soldiers and the Major are evil. Write about this aspect of the book. Is this solely affected by point of view or there other reasons that the soldiers are viewed as evil?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)